Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Plant Identification: Tree with crabapple-like "berries"...

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 10, Views: 131
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 24, 2012
6:58 PM

Post #9314551

Howdy, folks...

Friends of mine are fussin'! One says this tree is a crabapple, another says not. :>)

These look more like berries to me, not crabapples. Normally around here (NC) crabapples would be much bigger and riper. Apparently this tree doesn't have "apples" bigger than this. I'm wondering if it is related to a crabapple are there types that don't produce the apples? I'm aware some of grown mainly for flowering only.

And then what compounds things it appears it may be a grafted tree, of some kind, be it crab apple or not. The suckers coming from the base have purplish leaves (this time of year) and are not the same shape as the rest of the tree. I wonder what kind of root stock it would be; course now I'm still wondering if the rest of the tree is "crabapple".

Any ideas, please?
Shoe

Thumbnail by Horseshoe   Thumbnail by Horseshoe
Click an image for an enlarged view.

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 24, 2012
7:06 PM

Post #9314560

The leaves in the first photo look like crabapple leaves to me. Not sure about the purple leaves yet.
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 24, 2012
7:14 PM

Post #9314572

Thanks, pepper...

Some of the leaves are more round than others. I wonder if it is some type of hybrid, with it's various leaf shapes.

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 24, 2012
7:19 PM

Post #9314577

It could be. I haven't found the purple leaf yet so no idea on that one. Leaf shape is familiar though. Just gotta find it! lol. Hopefully the experts are able to jump on it and identify it for you. :~)
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2012
8:04 PM

Post #9314615

There are crabapples with different size fruits--when I was growing up we had one in our front yard that had fruits that look about the size of what you're showing there, and then there was one in the back yard that was a smaller tree but had fruit that was significantly bigger. The crabapple at my previous house out here in CA also had the small fruits that look like yours.
SoooSirius
Municipality of Murr, PA

October 25, 2012
8:49 AM

Post #9314973

To me the first picture really looks like Bradford Pear fruits, Pyrus calleryana. This site has some good pictures for comparison. http://forestry.sfasu.edu/faculty/jstovall/dendro/index.php/fact-sheets/photographs/278-pyrus-calleryana-callery-pear

But I'm not saying definitely, because there are crab-apples that look like these.

Have you ever seen this tree flower?

Your "suckers" remind me of mulberry leaves, but I don't recall those being so reddish. As soon as I typed that, I found this: http://www.jfschmidt.com/royalraindrops/ which is a patented crab-apple. Note the shape of the leaves.

Maybe this can give some ideas to help.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 25, 2012
9:47 AM

Post #9315047

Cut open one of the fruits and see what's inside.
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 25, 2012
3:01 PM

Post #9315302

Hah! Grinnin' you found that, sooosirius; I just popped in to leave that link also, having done a search this morning on "leaf types of crabapples".

The red leaves sure do look like Royal Raindrops, don't they? What gets me is why are they coming from the base of the tree, like from the root stock? I would think that would be something that would've been grafted to another root stock so the whole tree would carry the pretty purple foliage. Then again I wonder if R-Raindrops came from another tree in the wild and it is a common root stock.

The pics of the leaves of Callery pear definitely look like this. I have leaves that are nearly round as in the pics in the link you gave as well as somewhat more elongated leaves. (So is "Callery" pear another name for "bradford" pear?)

Now to figure out why the red foliage with the shape of Royal Raindrops is volunteering from the base of this tree. What an adventure, eh?

Many thanks to you all!
Shoe
SoooSirius
Municipality of Murr, PA

November 12, 2012
1:58 PM

Post #9331381

Hi 'Shoe,
Yes. the Latin name for the tree is Pyrus calleryana. The species is named after Italian-French sinologist Joseph-Marie Callery (18101862) who sent specimens of the tree to Europe from China. (A sinologist studies China.)
Bradford Pear is a cultivar of the Callery pear, and is usually structurally weak, (often gets damaged in high winds) although it covers itself with blooms in the spring and the leaves are beautiful in the fall. The flowers have an unpleasant musky smell when open on a sunny day.

Do you know how long the tree has been in its present place? Perhaps there was another tree cut down before it and is sprouting from its roots.
Yep, it is an adventure! :)
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

November 12, 2012
5:00 PM

Post #9331540

Thanks! That's good info regarding Callery/Bradford pear. And ditto, I take care of one customer's place that has Bradford pear and those limbs are very brittle, often breaking in storms OR sometimes from their own weight. Personally I would rather replace them with something else.

As for this tree in question, I hope to go to their house this week sometime and I'll study it further, trying to figure out if we're working with two different tree roots or not. Will take my camera!

Thanks big time for your help!
shoe

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 12, 2012
5:05 PM

Post #9331546

I walked around under a line of Callery pears this week with fruit that looked just like that.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America