What's for dinner? (Part 38)

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1281737/

And sadly my own dinner menus have gotten short shrift over the past several weeks. I did make a big pot of green chili last weekend (froze the remains) and we had homemade lasagna last night. But I'm definitely in a slump/funk/whatever. I just need to get busy chopping and cooking - maybe this new thread will light a fire under my cooking mojo. It'll have to wait until after the UT/SC game, though - Saturday morning we're headed to Columbia and then Charleston for a long weekend.

Thumbnail by Terry
Missouri City, TX

Great - a new thread!

Winter veggies growing well thanks to some cooler weather - even have a volunteer mustard just outside the garden area.

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

thanks for the new thread Terry! I'm doing some visiting with family for a few days so no cooking for me - except for a dessert I'll make for them tomorrow night. Something with apples.

Tam

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Where are you visiting this week, Tammy?

Bubba, so jealous about your fall garden. Please send progress reports. I did not get a fall garden in this year because we are doing a bit of traveling. We are fenced for deer, an acre around the house and garden, but they will come over if we (or the dogs) are not around for a while. Boo hoo.

Terry, you'll leave your cooking slump behind as soon as the official kick off date for holiday baking begins. Don't know exactly when that is but it can't be too far off, can it?

We have been in and around the yard most of the day trying to take care of a few things before first frost. That should happen between now and when we get back to Maypop. We are picking the last of our peppers and tomatoes; also beans for drying. I have to stuff some geraniums and more tender plants in the house and figure out what to do with two huge pots of Brugmansias gifted by a DGer at our RU this past June.

I am making an embellished pizza and salad. Cooked criminis, onions and garden peppers this morning for toppings. I brought up two lovely, fresh ovoline mozz to top the pie. Need to keep meals simple to get things done. Oh, and last night when we came up, I brought a rack of babyback ribs. We had been gifted a jar of homemade raspberry syrup, for pancakes and to make salad dressings, long ago and don't really go for sweet stuff. So I chopped up a chipotle with a little adobo to give the sweet some heat and added a tad of red wine vinegar. Goodness gracious, great balls of sweet, sour, smokey fire! I made a sweet potato and onion hash from leftover sweets and we had more stir fried brown rice and veggies. Burp.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

I am inspired!

Go for it!

Dahlonega, GA

I just scored three hundred pounds of pecans from the grower this week . Sending two hundred pounds to kid , and in laws. They better share the goodies with me . Ridiculous price and won't tell , but almost free . If avaliable next year, will have some to sell to friends at cost .

Clay Center, KS(Zone 5b)

Tonight is a fresh loaf of home made bread, a salad and cream of mushroom/chicken soup (roasted a chicken yesterday, so using left overs. Also "fixin" for a potluck at church tomorrow, so, busy afternoon in the kitchen, while listening/watching Kansas State football in the background. It's Homecoming weekend and we always have a large alumni crowd on Sunday.
I'm awestruck at the idea of 300 pounds of pecans..

Columbus, OH

I kinda am, too. I'd eat spiced pecans until I exploded.

We are having veggies a la extemporaneous. Okay, I made that up but it sounds pretty sexy. I have to use the last of the garden veggies before we leave for Miami. Anything else hanging out in the fridge is fair game as an add in. I am seriously getting my taste buds arranged for Miami food...stone crabs, curried goat, roti, Cubano.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Bah Humbug! (LOL)

Hahaha. Well you are not having to make pending lists of squeezing in a toilet paper roll's worth of family and friends in under two weeks. Meal time counts as a visit you know.

Dahlonega, GA

Eat lots of sea food for me , Laurel . The local Chinese buffet always has shrimp cooked five ways and raw oysters , clams , fried fish , imitation scallops . This time , everything was so salty , it wasn't fit to eat and the last time , it was sub- standard . Don't know how I'm gonna get my fix , it's 35 miles across Corpus to another good place for a good selection of my favorites .
Have a safe trip and enjoy .

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

I almost cant sit here thinking about those stone crabs. Heck, Id take some just plain ole king crab legs at a buffet. No more in town tho. I think all the college students have eaten the buffets out of business.

Dahlonega, GA

That could be, G G, and I forgot to add king crab to my list above .

Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

We're going to an oyster and ham dinner at a local fire hall tonight, even though the town is under voluntary evacuation due to Sandy. I guess they have to do something with all those oysters! Two other couples who were going to join us live further south and say that the highways going north are clogged with cars evacuating the barrier islands, so they're staying home. Can't say I blame them. I have a big pot of white bean and ham soup simmering on the stove; sounds like a good thing to eat during a hurricane, no?

I am scurrying about pulling in the last of the orchids and house plants while trying to get ready for the trip. It's dipping down to the thirties tonight. SO has been very helpful in sealing up greenhut. I have to run the heaters twenty four seven to keep the orchids happy. One more big variegated ficus and a fish tail palm and think that should cover it.

Sally, sorry to hear about your buffet knowing how much you love them. I'll eat some seafood but have to get my fill of Jamaican and Cuban food. Again, we have very good seafood here in Atlanta.

I'm thinking about Tam in Pennsylvania and Gh_gal in New Jersey. Gh_gal lives on the water and has a farm with animals. Hope they are able to batten the hatches for the storm without a problem. Don't know who else is affected, but hope everyone is okay. Our daughter keeps calling for advice. She lives in the D.C./Maryland area. She is with the Department of Natural Resources and her office is in Annapolis. All the state parks have been evacuated and closed. People are told that government offices may be closed through at least Tuesday.

We crossed. Glad all sounds okay your way.

Although far inland, we are expecting heavy wet snow coupled with winds of 40-60mph. We'll likely have power outages for several days because the trees will fall like matchsticks. All the utility crews are geared to go northeast.

Dahlonega, GA

Prayers for all affected,DG'ers and all . Please God, take care of all your helpless , animals and infirm .

Darius, hope you stay safe. We are under lots of trees in Atlanta and Maypop and have had serious damage to both houses with our famous ice storms. Do you have a generator?

Not many photos posted recently so thought I'd share a dinner photo that includes my cast iron skillet cornbread. It was drizzled in blackstrap molasses. I served this cornbread with chicken and vegetarian Brunswick stews at the wedding weekend. None of the guests from outside of the deep south knew what blackstrap was.

Lots of cooking going on the next few days with several goals in mind. First, we don't enjoy eating out all meals when we travel. I also don't like to spend a lot of time cooking and shopping so we travel with some home prepared food and ingredients. Even though I am going to my other home our time there is limited. We will be entertaining several nights so some preparation is necessary. Second, I like planning foods to eat for the actual trip. It's like planning a picnic that has to last three meals. Can't eat the same way traveling all day in a car as we would if we were at home. Third, youngest son is perhaps too proficient in the kitchen. If left to his own devices, with food to cook from scratch, the kitchen will look like a fat rendering factory when we return. He fries everything and grease is everywhere (even the floor). I've found he's not too chef proud to accept already prepared food. Unfortunately he does have his standards and is not happy with store bought prepared food. Wonder where he got that from? There will be a portion of roast turkey breast for our trip and a some for him. Half a lasagna for us and half for him. Pork shoulder and white bean chili to share as well as tortillas to stuff it in. The remainder of the meals will be out for us or be my favorite dinner...salad.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel
Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

I'm back from visiting family in central Pa. My sister & Brother in law came in from Ca so my brother (from Pitts) & I each drove in so all siblings would be together for a rare visit. Was really fun. We made up the Wild-caught alaskan salmon, fresh steamed broccoli & mashed potatoes. With the apple crisp I'd brought with me. My sister & DBIL went to Pitts to visit with my brother's family. I'm so glad they are flying home tomorrow morning. I just hope they make it out before the storm reaches there.

We are well stocked & now have a generator! Woo Hoo.

I picked up 3/4 of a steer while in the area. A family friend sold it to us (my brother got the other 1/4). My friends are thrilled to have so much grass fed, antibiotic free beef! I took 30lbs (which is probably more than I should have). But I'll try to use it for meals for dad.

Stay safe everyone. It sounds like we're in for some fun ahead.
Tam

I haven't wanted a generator, but as I age I'm re-thinking it. My sis and I looked online today but a beginning price tag of $899 stopped us cold. $599 she could handle, and I have no means to contribute except to fetch one and feed it to run.

The power has been off twice this evening already and the storm isn't even really here yet. I'm gathering ingredients for one-pot meals to cook on the woodstove, and I made 2 skillets of cornbread this afternoon.

I still haven't found a cornbread recipe (or corn meal) that suits me. Laurel, yours doesn't look crumbly... what's the secret? More flour? I use blackstrap in things like baked beans, would never have thought to drizzle it on cornbread. But then, I also don't add sugar to my cornbread.

Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

The storm is expected to hit this afternoon, leave tonight, and then winds will come around from the south briefly before the whole system passes off. They're calling it a tropical storm for our area now. We are closer to the Delaware Bay than to the ocean, so hopefully that means that we'll have less of an impact. However, it's still three hours to high tide on our river and it already looks like a typical high tide now. I'm sure it will overflow its banks and maybe go over our dock, but our house is on high ground so we are hoping that we'll be fine.

Home Depot has 4,000 watt generators for mid 3 to high 4 hundred dollar range. That's enough to run a good size space heater plus lights, etc.. You can rotate your fridge and freezer as needed. That size will run about eighteen hours on one fueling. Having a hard wired one is ideal but so expensive. I have to have back up power because of the orchid collection. We are out of power for three to five days at least once a winter here in Atlanta. Last time I was near hysterical when the house got to 42 degrees and the greenhut was 36. We would be much warmer at Maypop with the firplace and woodstove but I can't leave the 'chids behind.

Keep us posted about the storm. We are pretty blustery here with wind and road advisories. Gusts up to 45 m.p.h..

Darius, about the cornbread, I use either one part flour to two parts cornmeal or one part masa harina (finely ground corn meal) to two parts regular corn meal. I use no fat/oil except to grease the skillet. Instead of the fat I use creamed corn. If the blackstrap fans are with us I'll poke a few holes in the bread coming out of the oven and drizzle with molasses while hot. I've learned to not leave the bread in an iron skillet unless you want it to taste like iron later.

Thanks, Laurel. I didn't look at HD for generators because there's not one close by, just the 2 Lowe's within 30 miles each way. Lowe's (online) does show one cheaper generator, but it won't power very much nor run long on 1 fueling.

I bought a small used gas stove last month and had it converted to propane, and I have a small tank of propane so I can cook and can what's in the freezers if necessary. Plus I took out the small ventless propane heater that was here when I moved in, and put it in the barn. I'm sure I could hook it up again for my sister's bedroom on the other end of the house where the heat from the wood stove doesn't reach.

I ate my weight in lowcountry food last weekend. Tomorrow I have an early morning date with the gym and a late afternoon appointment with my kitchen appliances.

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

Darius - are you OK for water w/o power? That's what pushed us into buying a big one. We bought a little one to keep the freezer & fridges going for Irene. We splurged for a big one after the Halloween snow last year - we went 8 days w/o power and really missed the water more then anything. It did get chilly & we were lucky it wasn't colder outside.

We've had almost an inch of rain so far. The power apparently was out last night while we slept. But its all fine here so far. Thankfully our worst issue with water is the runoff from the properties above us. We're on a ridge of a mountain and the road winds around a steep section and dumps a river onto our driveway whenever there is a big rain. It flooded the greenhouse twice. Last time it pulled up one of the steps and so we decided to replace them. So now there is a landing about a foot higher than surrounding ground at the top of the steps down to the greenhouse so we're hoping the water goes around it and not down the steps. Crossing my fingers!

Tam

Mmmm, lowcountry!

I massaged that 1/2 turkey breast with jerk and he is resting in the fridge. Will roast later. We will have rice with peppers, onions and tomatoes and iron skillet greenbeans. Meanwhile, emergency appt. with the dentist. My six month old crown went flying across the room when I flossed. No good deed goes unpunished. It's intact but he better use something more than school paste to stick it back on.

We have no water at Maypop if the power goes out. We stock ten gallons of drinking water and keep a 40 gallon garbage can filled in the basement for toilet flushing. We don't have a generator there which is why I'm wanting to get that freezer emptied. In my younger days I could tote water buckets from the cistern but that's an uphill haul. Bad enough when I have to haul water up one flight of stairs from the basement. :)

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

We've been toting water from the cistern to flush toilets. But that's hopefully forever in our past. :-)

I've decided to call it an early day in a few hours and do a little baking. I promised DH an apple crisp as I walked out the door with the one I baked last week w/o leaving him a sample.

Tam

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

When we lived in Roanoke, we had a well. Never lived with snow and ice and the electricity was forever going out. First time it went out I got the brilliant idea to put some snow in the tub to melt, so we could flush the toilets. OK, so what works in FL isnt so great in Va. in the winter. Needless to say, with no electricty, the house was frigid and the snow not only wouldnt melt, it made things colder. After that, the Holiday Inn on 419 was on my speed dial for future storms.

We have city water in the house, and it's never been a problem with power outages. If that fails, we have a spring about 40 feet from the house; the water is drinkable but I'd boil it for safety. I usually have 3-4 bottles (4 gal.) of drinking/cooking water on hand because the town water is too chlorine-tasting.

We are creek-front so there's always water available for flushing, and it's not very far to tote it here, maybe 50 feet and fairly level.

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

I tried the "melt the snow" method but it takes so much snow that its not worth the bother. The cistern is a bit of a walk (up hill) but we haul up(4) 5gal buckets and that lasts quite a few flushes. We rented a room in a cheap hotel for showers and brought the water back for dishes in large containers meant for camping last time the power went out. But it was awful with the chlorine (sorry to hear you suffer with city water Darius!)

The wind is really picking up now. 1.5" of rain so far.

Tam

Love the speed dial solution. I too am helpless in the snow. We will be spending the night in Gainesville on the way back. That's where I shed the shorts and get back into fleece before continuing on to Atlanta. We drive from Miami to Apopka for lunch and orchid shopping with DG friends, then on to Gainesville and then home. We drive straight through on the way down.

Okay, off to make a white bean chili to go while the turkey breast does its thing. Oh, and about the crown. The dentist decided he does not like the way it is seated and is having a new one made. Meanwhile, the old one is the temporary.

Longboat Key, FL(Zone 9b)

we are 2 hours away from Atlantic City. Windy some rain, we still havelight, our minds are bright and our bodys are warm so baked potato and lamb chops. Pot in 1/2 hr so far, L chops can go on grill, but very windy. We'll see

Laurel, are you off to see Jim, love his wife, beautiful, Chids collector. Met him at Fred Rumps house in Napels. FL gorgeous grounds.

Thoughts with all of you-all affected by this storm.

Has anyone made tasso? It looks easy enough to make...just takes some patience.

Terry, I've not made tasso per se by salt curing. We hot smoke butts several times a year to use in the same way as tasso. I like to think this is the kinder, gentler way and maybe a bit healthier.

Helene, you are a trooper. I'll be thinking of you and your family tonight and tomorrow as you weather the storm. I'm gathering your flight for Wednesday is canceled? I've not been home to see the news but will turn it on shortly. That you still have power is very good news. I heard from DD several hours ago. She is in Maryland. They still have power but expecting it would not last Things are flickering and lights are going out across D.C. They recently bought a generator.

Jim and Patty are both beautiful people. Jim gets a fat head so don't tell him I said so. They have stayed with us and shared Thanksgiving as well as visited twice at Maypop. The last time was this past July to celebrate the weekend of our daughter's wedding. Jim and I started meeting in Apopka several times a year when I am traveling back from my house in North Miami Beach. When we first met, Jim was a novice grower and I helped him build his collection. I still point and say "buy it" when we shop together. Especially ones that are not good for my situation. We orchid shop and hug. Patty knows. lol I know Fred too. I heard Fred did a wonderful RU several years back.

I've been up since five for several days running and am running out of steam. I have to set up the second heating system in the greenhut tonight because we are going into the lower thirties. The very last of the orchids that can take it down to almost freezing have to come in. Unfortunately they are large and heavy. My back is feeling the last few days.

Cooked ingredients for lasagna that will also work for chili so I'll split it up and make some of each. Think it would be best to wait until tomorrow to assemble and cook the lasagna. The jerk turkey breast is done. There's surely is a dinner in there somewhere if anyone is hungry.

This message was edited Oct 29, 2012 5:50 PM

Longboat Key, FL(Zone 9b)

yep, had dinner and the trees fell on the power lines. Will have to be creative today food wise.No electric here. Was horrible night as the storm hit kand

We have limited generator activated electricity.water but not hot Covered as far as food and such. Although limited as I was leaving Wed. changed to thursd. as the kids are going on Vac. on Frid.. Now who knows. Will know more tomorrow..

They have a vermont cast iron stove, a little engine that could. it heats the downstairs pretty good.

My dh and I went to Freds RU was very very nice, that's where I met Jim and wife.

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

We're on generator power here. Cell service is sketchy but thank goodness for landlines! The DSL is up too.

The greater eastern Pa & NJ/NY area sure got hit bad! It sounded like the house was going to blow away last night. But we're fine and better than most thanks to the generator we bought after the storm last Oct. (We didn't get it until mid-summer!) No oven but we have the gas range & microwave. I am planning to have salmon & steamed broccoli for dinner.

Tam

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.