Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

CLOSED: Old Man Winter Is Coming

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

This is a catch-all Chat thread where everyone is Welcome to participate!

Daylight Saving Time ends in the wee hours of Sunday, November 4th. Don't forget to set your manual clocks to "Fall Back" an hour. So many of us now have computers and smart phones that do the deed for us automatically. But that's not much of a consolation for folks who trudge to work in darkness and arrive home to the same. And will we really have a Winter with appreciable snowfall this year? Time will tell.

In the meantime, what's everybody doing for Halloween and Thanksgiving?

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine
(Ang) Bremerton, WA(Zone 8b)

On Halloween my son and I will be polishing off a bag (or two) of candy. We can't trick or treat within the condo because no one hands out candy. Some neighbors will yell "no soliciting" lol. My boy, Mr E, wanted to dress as the 10th Doctor from Doctor Who but I don't have that much extra money.
On Turkey Day we'll be having dinner at my future inlaw's house. Football and Food. We're going there for Christmas Eve too.
I hope we have snow. Lots of snow! A couple good snow days, especially after we move.

It's been quite depressing here lately. Dad decided it's time to put Joeybear down. He has neurological problems, has lost all control of his bladder and can't see at all. There are meds and surgery for these but they aren't recommended due to his age or previous liver problems. I've decided to give my boy kitty to Dad so he has a companion and the kitties won't be separated because we'll continue to share a home after the wedding. ^_^

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

awww Ang, I'm sorry. It will all work out in the end, I am sure. I wish I could help you out, with your son's costume.. what does the 10th Doctor from Doctor Who wear? I bet I could get stuff to ya if I knew what that guy looked like LOL

we have 6 days until this decorated for halloween house is actually visited by the young Americans who participate. Joe is on strike, so I have picked up a few things. Like, extra bills. LOL but, it is all good, I keep telling him to go walk that line. If he won't take the early retirement offer, then I want him to work everyminute for now on. Sheese! ANYWAY... I get to purchase the treats, the pumpkins for Joanna and I to carve, bake the seeds that night, put on my witch hat, make a lifesize scary ,man to sit on the porch swing, and pop some popcorn. Sounds fun to me. I am already handing out treats to the children at work that come in. If they are whining, they shut up fast when they see me coming .. LOL.
Thanksgiving was going to be a big dang deal already, but that plan changed when they wouldn't approve of my day before and day after off. I had three days left of vacation, but somone decided to count off hours ( they must have been bored that day) and I am 4 days over my 12 allowed,from being sick, mind you.. so that made me whine to My sis in law Dana, and now they are going to host the dinner at their house. Bring the pecan pie he says, bring the pumpkin pie she says. Mike and Paula are in Everett, WA . I babysit their house, mail and plants and car. This will be the first year without them two and Angel, the huge rotund blonde Lab mix. Sherry was going to be here If I went to get her, now I can't go. Somehow we will get her here. Now I don't have to come home from work and work all night. Can't wait until one of my children invites us to their place. If they had children, that would prolly happen ( I wish anyway.)
Queen Emma October 25th 2011
"QE" February 2012
"QE" April 2012
"QE" May 2012"QE" June 2012 I have had this bulb for 3 summers. A very nice DG'r sent it to me. It is a Crinum. You should see it now.it is HUGE. more pics later.

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife
Holly Springs, NC(Zone 7b)

I don't have kids, and there are so few children in our neighborhood, so we don't do any decorating for Halloween. The one batch of kids are all from the same family and we know them well enough that we can give them homemade treats that are customized for each one, so the hubs and I do make fun with that. I work at a university and am the secretary in a department of grad students who do laboratory research. This means that they naturally keep vampire hours, so I accept full responsibility for ensuring that their Halloween treats are plentiful!

I'm a member of a supper club called TWEET (Third Wednesday Everyone Eats Together). Many of the couples who participate aren't going anywhere for Thanksgiving so we decided to stick with our regularly scheduled dinner and do our own Thanksgiving. This way everyone gets the coveted leftovers, but no one has to cook EVERYTHING. My parents and a cousin all get together at my sister's house, but with such a short turn-around for the holiday the hubs and I choose to skip. We see everyone at Christmas.

Debra, I think it's too late to find a costume. Even if we did we would just stopping by the (f) in laws house lol. The school usually has students dress up like a book character and, with my luck, would assume the sonic screwdriver was a weapon.
I post a few pictures of the 10th Doctor though. My fiance got me hooked on the show then I got my Dad hooked and now Mr E is watching it with me.
Blue suit: http://celebritywonder.ugo.com/wp/David_Tennant_in_Doctor_Who_TV_Series_Wallpaper_3_1280.jpg
Brown suit: http://www.scifiscoop.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/doctor_who_planet_of_the_dead_4.jpg
His other choices were the boy from 'The Empty Child' episode
http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/gas_mask_kid_8183.jpg
OR the 10th Doctor wearing the same mask, which was in a later episode.

(Carey) Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Oh my Debra, your crinum is awful pretty. I might have the same one but I don't know for sure. The nursery where I got it doesn't sell with names so they don't have to pay the fees. Either way, it is indeed HUGE. Do you dig yours up every year?

(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks for the new room!
Debra, glad to hear your Sister is doing OK after surgery! That is a lot of fluid to drain from the heart.
Not doing much here for halloween, as we have no kids that trick or treat here, they all drive into town.
Not for sure what we are doing for Thanksgiving yet, still waiting to hear from the boys to see what the plans are.

Caryanna, that came from Rita, here on DG. One of the first people to send me stuff, and it is all still going great guns. I keep miss queen emma in a pot, she has moved up two pots so far.
Hi lana! I am Debra ( aka joeswife) nice to meet ya! D
Well Ang, I sure miss having to make costumes for the kids.. but then, I am also glad I don't have to scramble anymore to get things done. One year I made a clown outfit out of an old tattered quit, it was cute. Another year I made a kimono and did Joanna up as a geisha girl. I will never forget Charlie being darth vader with our home made costume either. Oh the days..

queen emma in september..
here she is last week...

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX(Zone 9a)

WOW! That is huge!

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Starting when the kids were in elementary school, we a;ways had a Halloween party. Living in the country meant that we had no trick or treaters, and although the kids would sometimes trick or treat in town with friends, the real celebration was the party at home with the kids who lived in the woods around us. After they left home, I converted the party to a dress-up/pot luck for a group of my friends. We have had great time for years, but in the last years, people seem more reluctant to dress up and it is not quite as jovial as it used to be. I just don't see any reason that getting older would mean you had to laugh less. But anyhow, I am doing that get together again. I' m expecting about 13 this year. It will be Sunday night. We are also expecting some cooler weather this weekend, and I am still working on getting my plants inside.
Busy day today!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Hi Everybody: :)

I'm back. I've finally caught up on my schoolwork from the beginning of the semester and spending some down time on DG. Unfortunately I have threads I haven't read since August, and that has made me feel . . . sort of homesick.

I see some happy news and some sad news on the first thread and above. I hope everyone is finding peace in their way. Mine is always while I am playing with plants, and I also took some time to start transplanting things that have to come in for winter and taking cuttings, etc. I usually bring whole pots of plants in, but a month or so ago, after the puppy ate the love seat (yes he did) we bought a living room set which has dramatically diminished the amount of space for plants. Ha HAa!

Glad to be back. It looks like I may have missed some swaps and fun stuff, but plenty of time for that over winter.

Hugs to all - everyone northeast of me - I pray the storm is not as bad as predicted (!) and if it is - I pray you get snow instead of rain.

xox
A.

Welcome back Amanda ^_^

Dearest Amanda.. I am so glad u posted.. i want to show you the asters I have had in a pot for you all year..you might not want these, they are small white blooms, pretty much like the wild ones you might already have..
I have a pot of purple ones that need a home as well..

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife

Amamda, go to tropicals forum chat thread and see what they say about the BOP

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks Ang - getting back to you on those epi cuttings. ;)

Debra - I do have a fair amount of the white asters, and even what was supposed to be a white fleabane grown from seed you sent last season. :)

If you shake the soil from the roots it might not weight much. Certainly I would plant it and love it just because it came from you. I can always use more asters for fall, so the purple one would be welcome too.

I tried to start from seed the Michaelmas daisy, without success. Anyone have this plant? I even had seeds sent to me straight from the clerk's office in TX. Gah - can't remember the name of the plant, but the blooms are large and purple on single stems.

Well enough DG for the day - I am going to shut this down and try to get my Zoo Chores finished before I collapse.

Stay safe friends in the north east. I am so sorry to hear of this storm. I had hoped you'd get snow instead of rain. :/

xox
A.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks Debra - I saw your post. I still need to know where to put it, hot or cold, full sun or not. I don't know why the leaves are curled. Maybe it's hungry. Bleck.

xox

Mount Pleasant, PA(Zone 6a)

:/ I'm working Halloween & Thanksgiving @ Cracker Barrel. Closing on Halloween so no trick or treaters.
Hubs & my girls will go to my sisters for Thanksgiving & will bring me a plate home if I have to close. On the one hand I hate missing holidays with my family because I rarely see them working so much, but on the other I'm glad we're open so the people who have no where else to go for Thanksgiving have somewhere to go & have a home cooked meal. I have a few regulars I know I'll see on Thanksgiving. One is the sweetest most polite older gentleman & he just lights up my night when I see him. He's just so sincere when he interacts with us.
Mixed bag. I'm very thankful CB closes for Christmas. I know I'll be able to see my parents & my sibs on Christmas.

well , that is the purple aster you are getting, kiddo the Michaelmas daisy is what is is, since i got them up in buffalo ny.. in the wilderness LOL
goodnight ya all, I am freezing.. we havn't turned on the heat yet and it is a whopping 62 in here.. warmer down in the basement garden than it is up here.. so I am going to go garden for a while.. in comfort even!

Hi ya Hartzell, I am Debra, whats your name? Sounds like u and I are the same worker bees.. day before day after and night of.. LOL

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

AH - the Tahoka Daisy. That's it Debra. :)

I will take 'em all. Fruity sent me a "honeysong pink" Aster last season - it's small but the flowers were profuse. I enjoyed it. It bloomed August - September.

Gah - I'm tired. All these kittens I am fostering are making me crazy, and I'm afraid now one of my senior cats is sneezing. I sure hope it's the new litter in the box!

G'night all. Or good morning, whichever way you look at it, I'm going back to sleep.
xox
A.

Kittens ^_^ How old are they? I hope it is just the new litter in the box. Are you worried that the kittens might have a URI and passed it to a senior kitty?

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Ang - always a long story - 2 separate sets of kits. The first group has been on antibiotics for upper respiratory for a month and 2 of them showed signs of conjunctivitis so they were also on tobramycin eyedrops.

Then a neighbor showed up with a kitten she found where she feeds a group of ferals. Both eyes were swollen shut. I happened to have the eyedrops. I finally got them both unpasted. One eye looks healthy. The other swollen and vet seemed to think the Feline Herpes virus the cause. The swelling has gone down considerably, but I still can't tell if the eye ruptured or if it is some kind of growth or what.

i'm impressed that I've been able to keep my 2 senior cats from getting sick to this point. The first group of kits started clavamox on Oct 1. aAnyway. Just can't afford another bottle of antibiotics!!! Back in the poor house, but my heart is in the right place. I don't know where I left my brain.

xox
A.

My heart goes out to you. I've managed two cats with URI but I can't imagine having to go through this with a tiny herd of kittens. We had to do 4 rounds for my two. Both arrived with an URI, the feline herpes virus was the cause, and both get flares up but not as bad as when they were kittens.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Aw thanks - it's not that bad really. The kitten that just arrived does make me feel very sorry. The eye swelling is greatly reduced and she almost closed her eye entirely this morning when I went to put the drops in! That impressed me very much.

I can't tell with my uneducated eye if the eye ruptured or if it's a growth. I don't know if she'll regain sight or not, but the vet was encouraged by her very young age and guardedly optimistic - probably just for me.

Thanks for your thoughts. I did have a cat develop the virus in her eye very late in her life. I had never heard of such a thing! Learn something new just about everyday. Now that I think of it I'll have to try to remember what I learned today. :P

xox
A.

Manda Panda, missed you girl! You have such a soft heart for critters of all kinds. Too bad you can't play hookey from work tomorrow. It's Mickey's grooming day and we could have met for lunch. Oh well, we'll soon have a date!

Mount Pleasant, PA(Zone 6a)

Debra:
My first name is Heather :). Yep work work work & work some more. This time of year it's garden work on the fly! 2 jobs will do the to you. I'll be out in the garden no matter what the weather is tomorrow. Fall cleanup I have seeds to collect still, decor needs to come in, pots need to be taken in & I need to assess the mulch situation to see how much to haul home on Thurs night. Plus I have to get DDs roses prepped for winter.

Oh that reminds me, Heather. It's time to take cuttings of m' Lady Banks and work on trellising, along with the Carolina Jessamine.

A lady down the road had these huge vines with big white flowers. They looked like Moonflowers. Are these the same as Datura? They are super huge and I want to start some seed. I'm just wondering what the names are so I can keep an eye out for em.

Is this the vine your neighbor had? While at a friend's in Northern Virginia last month, we counted almost 20 blooms on hers at one time. I commented the ones getting ready to open looked like soft-serve ice cream cones. Blooms were huge, about 6" or more in diameter and they smelled Heavenly.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/893/
She also had a volunteer (white) Datura, both plants were very different from each other.

The bloom does look like it. She had them climbing up her house. We drive by her house all the time. Leaves were as large or maybe larger than the blooms

moonflower alba.. I will send you seeds of those, Ang, and of the lave moon vine, altho I am pretty sure those and three kinds of datura seeds were in your seed packet I sent.

FOTV you are spot on I think. I found a packet of seeds this spring in a grocery store that looked much like her vine and I think the packet said giant white moonflower. I didn't have luck with those seeds but at least I know the name for next year. That is going in my garden journal. Seeing her vines and her 4-5 Epiphyllums each time we drove by made my day.

Debra, I know there were definitely Datura seed pods (with seeds) in there. My son was absolutely amazed by them. We were going through the bag together.
Are the moonflower seeds rather large and brown? If so, there are a couple of those. I remembered they looked like the large moonflower seeds I started in Spring, but darker. The ones I had were cream.

dark ones are lavender moon vine... i still have the alba..

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

I wish I had lavender moonflower. Sounds wonderful.
What works pretty good for me with germination of moon vine is to soak the seeds overnight , starting in hot (faucet) water. Then plant and keep moist till germination.

Oh sorry Debra, I totally misread that.

Debra, if you have a couple of lavender Moonvine seeds left, can I try them? Pretty please.

sure thing, you guys, I have tons of those seeds.. will get them off to you asap.. cyrstal, you should email me your address ..

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

I , for one, am busy planting planting planting. Our nurseries are full of beautiful plants and there have been sales at the botanical gardens and elsewhere. This is our Spring! It's the perfect time to just about plant anything - we only get our freeze between Dec 15 and Jan 15 usually and they are mild. The nurseries are full of beautiful things. It's about 85 outside during the day and 60 at night. Just about the opposite, I know, of everyone else.

Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL(Zone 7b)

Debra could you send
Crystal a couple of the seeds for me too? She lives about 45 miles from me and I go by her when I go get the kids...

Can I send you some stamps for seeds?

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

any lavender moonvine seeds left? Let me know please I have other seeds I could trade or send postage. Thanks.

Sue G

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.