-
AuthorContent
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 24, 2012
7:14 PM

Post #9314575

This is a catch-all Chat thread where everyone is Welcome to participate!

Daylight Saving Time ends in the wee hours of Sunday, November 4th. Don't forget to set your manual clocks to "Fall Back" an hour. So many of us now have computers and smart phones that do the deed for us automatically. But that's not much of a consolation for folks who trudge to work in darkness and arrive home to the same. And will we really have a Winter with appreciable snowfall this year? Time will tell.

In the meantime, what's everybody doing for Halloween and Thanksgiving?

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine
Click the image for an enlarged view.

tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

October 24, 2012
9:39 PM

Post #9314678

On Halloween my son and I will be polishing off a bag (or two) of candy. We can't trick or treat within the condo because no one hands out candy. Some neighbors will yell "no soliciting" lol. My boy, Mr E, wanted to dress as the 10th Doctor from Doctor Who but I don't have that much extra money.
On Turkey Day we'll be having dinner at my future inlaw's house. Football and Food. We're going there for Christmas Eve too.
I hope we have snow. Lots of snow! A couple good snow days, especially after we move.

It's been quite depressing here lately. Dad decided it's time to put Joeybear down. He has neurological problems, has lost all control of his bladder and can't see at all. There are meds and surgery for these but they aren't recommended due to his age or previous liver problems. I've decided to give my boy kitty to Dad so he has a companion and the kitties won't be separated because we'll continue to share a home after the wedding. :-)

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 24, 2012
11:36 PM

Post #9314711

awww Ang, I'm sorry. It will all work out in the end, I am sure. I wish I could help you out, with your son's costume.. what does the 10th Doctor from Doctor Who wear? I bet I could get stuff to ya if I knew what that guy looked like LOL

we have 6 days until this decorated for halloween house is actually visited by the young Americans who participate. Joe is on strike, so I have picked up a few things. Like, extra bills. LOL but, it is all good, I keep telling him to go walk that line. If he won't take the early retirement offer, then I want him to work everyminute for now on. Sheese! ANYWAY... I get to purchase the treats, the pumpkins for Joanna and I to carve, bake the seeds that night, put on my witch hat, make a lifesize scary ,man to sit on the porch swing, and pop some popcorn. Sounds fun to me. I am already handing out treats to the children at work that come in. If they are whining, they shut up fast when they see me coming .. LOL.
Thanksgiving was going to be a big dang deal already, but that plan changed when they wouldn't approve of my day before and day after off. I had three days left of vacation, but somone decided to count off hours ( they must have been bored that day) and I am 4 days over my 12 allowed,from being sick, mind you.. so that made me whine to My sis in law Dana, and now they are going to host the dinner at their house. Bring the pecan pie he says, bring the pumpkin pie she says. Mike and Paula are in Everett, WA . I babysit their house, mail and plants and car. This will be the first year without them two and Angel, the huge rotund blonde Lab mix. Sherry was going to be here If I went to get her, now I can't go. Somehow we will get her here. Now I don't have to come home from work and work all night. Can't wait until one of my children invites us to their place. If they had children, that would prolly happen ( I wish anyway.)
Queen Emma October 25th 2011
"QE" February 2012
"QE" April 2012
"QE" May 2012"QE" June 2012 I have had this bulb for 3 summers. A very nice DG'r sent it to me. It is a Crinum. You should see it now.it is HUGE. more pics later.

Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife
Click an image for an enlarged view.

lanakila

lanakila
Holly Springs, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 25, 2012
6:24 AM

Post #9314844

I don't have kids, and there are so few children in our neighborhood, so we don't do any decorating for Halloween. The one batch of kids are all from the same family and we know them well enough that we can give them homemade treats that are customized for each one, so the hubs and I do make fun with that. I work at a university and am the secretary in a department of grad students who do laboratory research. This means that they naturally keep vampire hours, so I accept full responsibility for ensuring that their Halloween treats are plentiful!

I'm a member of a supper club called TWEET (Third Wednesday Everyone Eats Together). Many of the couples who participate aren't going anywhere for Thanksgiving so we decided to stick with our regularly scheduled dinner and do our own Thanksgiving. This way everyone gets the coveted leftovers, but no one has to cook EVERYTHING. My parents and a cousin all get together at my sister's house, but with such a short turn-around for the holiday the hubs and I choose to skip. We see everyone at Christmas.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

October 25, 2012
8:05 AM

Post #9314920

Debra, I think it's too late to find a costume. Even if we did we would just stopping by the (f) in laws house lol. The school usually has students dress up like a book character and, with my luck, would assume the sonic screwdriver was a weapon.
I post a few pictures of the 10th Doctor though. My fiance got me hooked on the show then I got my Dad hooked and now Mr E is watching it with me.
Blue suit: http://celebritywonder.ugo.com/wp/David_Tennant_in_Doctor_Who_TV_Series_Wallpaper_3_1280.jpg
Brown suit: http://www.scifiscoop.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/doctor_who_planet_of_the_dead_4.jpg
His other choices were the boy from 'The Empty Child' episode
http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/gas_mask_kid_8183.jpg
OR the 10th Doctor wearing the same mask, which was in a later episode.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 25, 2012
7:23 PM

Post #9315549

Oh my Debra, your crinum is awful pretty. I might have the same one but I don't know for sure. The nursery where I got it doesn't sell with names so they don't have to pay the fees. Either way, it is indeed HUGE. Do you dig yours up every year?

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 25, 2012
7:29 PM

Post #9315557

Thanks for the new room!
Debra, glad to hear your Sister is doing OK after surgery! That is a lot of fluid to drain from the heart.
Not doing much here for halloween, as we have no kids that trick or treat here, they all drive into town.
Not for sure what we are doing for Thanksgiving yet, still waiting to hear from the boys to see what the plans are.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 25, 2012
10:25 PM

Post #9315651

Caryanna, that came from Rita, here on DG. One of the first people to send me stuff, and it is all still going great guns. I keep miss queen emma in a pot, she has moved up two pots so far.
Hi lana! I am Debra ( aka joeswife) nice to meet ya! D
Well Ang, I sure miss having to make costumes for the kids.. but then, I am also glad I don't have to scramble anymore to get things done. One year I made a clown outfit out of an old tattered quit, it was cute. Another year I made a kimono and did Joanna up as a geisha girl. I will never forget Charlie being darth vader with our home made costume either. Oh the days..

queen emma in september..
here she is last week...

Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife         

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 26, 2012
4:28 AM

Post #9315712

WOW! That is huge!

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

October 26, 2012
5:23 AM

Post #9315754

Starting when the kids were in elementary school, we a;ways had a Halloween party. Living in the country meant that we had no trick or treaters, and although the kids would sometimes trick or treat in town with friends, the real celebration was the party at home with the kids who lived in the woods around us. After they left home, I converted the party to a dress-up/pot luck for a group of my friends. We have had great time for years, but in the last years, people seem more reluctant to dress up and it is not quite as jovial as it used to be. I just don't see any reason that getting older would mean you had to laugh less. But anyhow, I am doing that get together again. I' m expecting about 13 this year. It will be Sunday night. We are also expecting some cooler weather this weekend, and I am still working on getting my plants inside.
Busy day today!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 27, 2012
6:08 PM

Post #9317375

Hi Everybody: :)

I'm back. I've finally caught up on my schoolwork from the beginning of the semester and spending some down time on DG. Unfortunately I have threads I haven't read since August, and that has made me feel . . . sort of homesick.

I see some happy news and some sad news on the first thread and above. I hope everyone is finding peace in their way. Mine is always while I am playing with plants, and I also took some time to start transplanting things that have to come in for winter and taking cuttings, etc. I usually bring whole pots of plants in, but a month or so ago, after the puppy ate the love seat (yes he did) we bought a living room set which has dramatically diminished the amount of space for plants. Ha HAa!

Glad to be back. It looks like I may have missed some swaps and fun stuff, but plenty of time for that over winter.

Hugs to all - everyone northeast of me - I pray the storm is not as bad as predicted (!) and if it is - I pray you get snow instead of rain.

xox
A.

tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

October 27, 2012
6:37 PM

Post #9317403

Welcome back Amanda :-)

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 27, 2012
7:03 PM

Post #9317432

Dearest Amanda.. I am so glad u posted.. i want to show you the asters I have had in a pot for you all year..you might not want these, they are small white blooms, pretty much like the wild ones you might already have..
I have a pot of purple ones that need a home as well..

Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife         

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 27, 2012
7:06 PM

Post #9317436

Amamda, go to tropicals forum chat thread and see what they say about the BOP

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 27, 2012
7:10 PM

Post #9317439

Thanks Ang - getting back to you on those epi cuttings. ;)

Debra - I do have a fair amount of the white asters, and even what was supposed to be a white fleabane grown from seed you sent last season. :)

If you shake the soil from the roots it might not weight much. Certainly I would plant it and love it just because it came from you. I can always use more asters for fall, so the purple one would be welcome too.

I tried to start from seed the Michaelmas daisy, without success. Anyone have this plant? I even had seeds sent to me straight from the clerk's office in TX. Gah - can't remember the name of the plant, but the blooms are large and purple on single stems.

Well enough DG for the day - I am going to shut this down and try to get my Zoo Chores finished before I collapse.

Stay safe friends in the north east. I am so sorry to hear of this storm. I had hoped you'd get snow instead of rain. :/

xox
A.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 27, 2012
7:11 PM

Post #9317442

Thanks Debra - I saw your post. I still need to know where to put it, hot or cold, full sun or not. I don't know why the leaves are curled. Maybe it's hungry. Bleck.

xox

hartzell81

hartzell81
Mount Pleasant, PA
(Zone 6a)

October 27, 2012

Post #9317447

:/ I'm working Halloween & Thanksgiving @ Cracker Barrel. Closing on Halloween so no trick or treaters.
Hubs & my girls will go to my sisters for Thanksgiving & will bring me a plate home if I have to close. On the one hand I hate missing holidays with my family because I rarely see them working so much, but on the other I'm glad we're open so the people who have no where else to go for Thanksgiving have somewhere to go & have a home cooked meal. I have a few regulars I know I'll see on Thanksgiving. One is the sweetest most polite older gentleman & he just lights up my night when I see him. He's just so sincere when he interacts with us.
Mixed bag. I'm very thankful CB closes for Christmas. I know I'll be able to see my parents & my sibs on Christmas.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 27, 2012
7:16 PM

Post #9317448

well , that is the purple aster you are getting, kiddo the Michaelmas daisy is what is is, since i got them up in buffalo ny.. in the wilderness LOL
goodnight ya all, I am freezing.. we havn't turned on the heat yet and it is a whopping 62 in here.. warmer down in the basement garden than it is up here.. so I am going to go garden for a while.. in comfort even!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 27, 2012
7:18 PM

Post #9317450

Hi ya Hartzell, I am Debra, whats your name? Sounds like u and I are the same worker bees.. day before day after and night of.. LOL

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 28, 2012
12:36 AM

Post #9317560

AH - the Tahoka Daisy. That's it Debra. :)

I will take 'em all. Fruity sent me a "honeysong pink" Aster last season - it's small but the flowers were profuse. I enjoyed it. It bloomed August - September.

Gah - I'm tired. All these kittens I am fostering are making me crazy, and I'm afraid now one of my senior cats is sneezing. I sure hope it's the new litter in the box!

G'night all. Or good morning, whichever way you look at it, I'm going back to sleep.
xox
A.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

October 28, 2012
8:37 AM

Post #9317879

Kittens :-) How old are they? I hope it is just the new litter in the box. Are you worried that the kittens might have a URI and passed it to a senior kitty?

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 28, 2012
1:04 PM

Post #9318126

Ang - always a long story - 2 separate sets of kits. The first group has been on antibiotics for upper respiratory for a month and 2 of them showed signs of conjunctivitis so they were also on tobramycin eyedrops.

Then a neighbor showed up with a kitten she found where she feeds a group of ferals. Both eyes were swollen shut. I happened to have the eyedrops. I finally got them both unpasted. One eye looks healthy. The other swollen and vet seemed to think the Feline Herpes virus the cause. The swelling has gone down considerably, but I still can't tell if the eye ruptured or if it is some kind of growth or what.

i'm impressed that I've been able to keep my 2 senior cats from getting sick to this point. The first group of kits started clavamox on Oct 1. aAnyway. Just can't afford another bottle of antibiotics!!! Back in the poor house, but my heart is in the right place. I don't know where I left my brain.

xox
A.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

October 28, 2012
1:20 PM

Post #9318149

My heart goes out to you. I've managed two cats with URI but I can't imagine having to go through this with a tiny herd of kittens. We had to do 4 rounds for my two. Both arrived with an URI, the feline herpes virus was the cause, and both get flares up but not as bad as when they were kittens.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 28, 2012
5:32 PM

Post #9318360

Aw thanks - it's not that bad really. The kitten that just arrived does make me feel very sorry. The eye swelling is greatly reduced and she almost closed her eye entirely this morning when I went to put the drops in! That impressed me very much.

I can't tell with my uneducated eye if the eye ruptured or if it's a growth. I don't know if she'll regain sight or not, but the vet was encouraged by her very young age and guardedly optimistic - probably just for me.

Thanks for your thoughts. I did have a cat develop the virus in her eye very late in her life. I had never heard of such a thing! Learn something new just about everyday. Now that I think of it I'll have to try to remember what I learned today. :P

xox
A.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 28, 2012
6:21 PM

Post #9318410

Manda Panda, missed you girl! You have such a soft heart for critters of all kinds. Too bad you can't play hookey from work tomorrow. It's Mickey's grooming day and we could have met for lunch. Oh well, we'll soon have a date!

hartzell81

hartzell81
Mount Pleasant, PA
(Zone 6a)

October 28, 2012
6:22 PM

Post #9318414

Debra:
My first name is Heather :). Yep work work work & work some more. This time of year it's garden work on the fly! 2 jobs will do the to you. I'll be out in the garden no matter what the weather is tomorrow. Fall cleanup I have seeds to collect still, decor needs to come in, pots need to be taken in & I need to assess the mulch situation to see how much to haul home on Thurs night. Plus I have to get DDs roses prepped for winter.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 28, 2012
6:26 PM

Post #9318420

Oh that reminds me, Heather. It's time to take cuttings of m' Lady Banks and work on trellising, along with the Carolina Jessamine.

tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

October 28, 2012
6:30 PM

Post #9318427

A lady down the road had these huge vines with big white flowers. They looked like Moonflowers. Are these the same as Datura? They are super huge and I want to start some seed. I'm just wondering what the names are so I can keep an eye out for em.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 28, 2012
7:00 PM

Post #9318460

Is this the vine your neighbor had? While at a friend's in Northern Virginia last month, we counted almost 20 blooms on hers at one time. I commented the ones getting ready to open looked like soft-serve ice cream cones. Blooms were huge, about 6" or more in diameter and they smelled Heavenly.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/893/
She also had a volunteer (white) Datura, both plants were very different from each other.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

October 28, 2012
7:08 PM

Post #9318468

The bloom does look like it. She had them climbing up her house. We drive by her house all the time. Leaves were as large or maybe larger than the blooms

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 28, 2012
7:47 PM

Post #9318505

moonflower alba.. I will send you seeds of those, Ang, and of the lave moon vine, altho I am pretty sure those and three kinds of datura seeds were in your seed packet I sent.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

October 28, 2012
8:32 PM

Post #9318557

FOTV you are spot on I think. I found a packet of seeds this spring in a grocery store that looked much like her vine and I think the packet said giant white moonflower. I didn't have luck with those seeds but at least I know the name for next year. That is going in my garden journal. Seeing her vines and her 4-5 Epiphyllums each time we drove by made my day.

Debra, I know there were definitely Datura seed pods (with seeds) in there. My son was absolutely amazed by them. We were going through the bag together.
Are the moonflower seeds rather large and brown? If so, there are a couple of those. I remembered they looked like the large moonflower seeds I started in Spring, but darker. The ones I had were cream.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 28, 2012
11:04 PM

Post #9318615

dark ones are lavender moon vine... i still have the alba..

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

October 29, 2012
6:36 AM

Post #9318794

I wish I had lavender moonflower. Sounds wonderful.
What works pretty good for me with germination of moon vine is to soak the seeds overnight , starting in hot (faucet) water. Then plant and keep moist till germination.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

October 29, 2012
7:40 AM

Post #9318855

Oh sorry Debra, I totally misread that.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 29, 2012
3:17 PM

Post #9319423

Debra, if you have a couple of lavender Moonvine seeds left, can I try them? Pretty please.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 29, 2012
10:34 PM

Post #9319770

sure thing, you guys, I have tons of those seeds.. will get them off to you asap.. cyrstal, you should email me your address ..

CheerMom

CheerMom
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

October 30, 2012
9:00 AM

Post #9320162

I , for one, am busy planting planting planting. Our nurseries are full of beautiful plants and there have been sales at the botanical gardens and elsewhere. This is our Spring! It's the perfect time to just about plant anything - we only get our freeze between Dec 15 and Jan 15 usually and they are mild. The nurseries are full of beautiful things. It's about 85 outside during the day and 60 at night. Just about the opposite, I know, of everyone else.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 30, 2012
11:12 AM

Post #9320258

Debra could you send
Crystal a couple of the seeds for me too? She lives about 45 miles from me and I go by her when I go get the kids...

Can I send you some stamps for seeds?

CheerMom

CheerMom
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

October 30, 2012
4:58 PM

Post #9320531

any lavender moonvine seeds left? Let me know please I have other seeds I could trade or send postage. Thanks.

Sue G
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 30, 2012
5:26 PM

Post #9320552

Sue, you make me envious of your picture-perfect weather. That's great you're finding so many neat things to plant. Around here, most of the nurseries will close for the season tomorrow and won't reopen til April 1st. That's when the madness begins when folks have Spring Fever, including myself, knowing full well our last Frost isn't traditionally until mid-May.

Tomorrow's Halloween and doubt we'll get any trick-or-treaters, although I'm ready with candy if we do. Most kids now go to trick-or-trunk events in parking lots, or to the mall, or to their schools. It used to be fun when the neighborhood kids were little and had lots of surprise ghouls. I'll never forget opening the door to see my now 20-something year old married neighbor who was just a kid at the time, maybe 10, dressed as Dolly Parton complete with a blonde wig, heavy make-up and a tight plunging top she'd stuffed with balloons.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 30, 2012
5:53 PM

Post #9320563

lots of lav moon vine seeds.. just need addresses... ( and dg names)
fruity did I send you some? LK? I can't member nuffin, cuz there is a basketball game on instead ot THE VOICE and joe and me are not very happy..
I remember living in pheonix in winter when I was 20. It was heavenly. I remember spending two winters in florida ( miami) it was also heavenly. I remember 8 years in oceanside california in winter. that was the best. How the heck did I end up in no where kansas??? awwww Kansas.. Land of Blahs.. *sigh*
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 30, 2012
7:11 PM

Post #9320633

You can watch full episodes of The Voice online. Tonight's Knockout round was awesome.

http://www.nbc.com/the-voice/video/knockouts-part-1/1422127/

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 30, 2012
7:47 PM

Post #9320670

I got the moon vines seeds, just don't know what color they are. White or purple!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 30, 2012
9:21 PM

Post #9320748

the ones I sent you are a large smooth dark seed, those are the lavs.. I will send you a separate packet of white and lav.. Joe doesn't use a putor, so online for him is out.. i emailed the tv station adn they said they would air it at 1 am to 3 aM. GUESS WE WILL JUST HAVE TO WAIT FOR RE-RUN.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 31, 2012
5:12 AM

Post #9320858

Happy Halloween everyone!

Thumbnail by taters55

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 31, 2012
9:36 AM

Post #9321122

Happy Holloween. At the Library with Mike. He is cussing the computers as his tollerence level is nil right now. I am getting tired of being his driver. Sure hope the doc lets him start driving soon. He will be in a better mood then.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 31, 2012
6:32 PM

Post #9321518

sorry Kris that you are having to put up with "grumpy" LOL I am always living with a grump, especially when he is ill, on strike and depressed. Men handle things different than we do. I keep telling my joe that I have no sympathy for him ...LOL
I remember when we were all happy and enthusiastic at holidays.. being on strike with no pay is really taking a toll on my joe. Hope your Mike gets well fast!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 31, 2012

Post #9321570

grumpy men are not fun at all!
Debra, sure hope hubby's place of business csan settle the strike soon! Where does he work?

Kris, sure hope Mike is feeling better soon!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

November 1, 2012
5:54 AM

Post #9321767

Good Morning!
joe works at learjet.. i advize all young women to NOT marrry an aircrafter LOL
he has been on strike for 3 and a half weeks.
it is all good. it is all over the insurance in the new contract.

looking cold outside, but supposed to get up to 70 plus again today. can't wait to get outside in the flower beds and redo stuff.
meanwhile, here are a few shots of the basement garden main room

Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 1, 2012
8:02 AM

Post #9321866

Sure hope they settle the strike soon!
Love your garden room!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 1, 2012
2:09 PM

Post #9322121

Deb

Hopefully Joe won't have to be striking much longer. Love the basement garden.

tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

November 1, 2012
2:39 PM

Post #9322141

Today I took the lid and bags off my Epi seedlings. Very nervous now. I think I need to put the round nursery pot in a tall sided tupperware. I found that these protect them from drafts and what not.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 1, 2012
2:49 PM

Post #9322150

How was Mr. E's Halloween, Ang?

Waving to all. Looking good, Debra.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

November 1, 2012
2:56 PM

Post #9322158

Mr E's Halloween was good. He dressed as the landscapers (he wants to be one) for school and then in the evening we went over to my (f) in laws. My niece was dressed as Piglet, my SIL was dressed in cheetah print and her dh was dressed as a panda.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

November 1, 2012
5:31 PM

Post #9322271

sounds fun, Ang! My daughters all went out to parties and thier costumes were outrageous. LOL
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 1, 2012
5:59 PM

Post #9322288

Bet some of yours were too, Debra :)

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 1, 2012
7:31 PM

Post #9322370

Any halloween costume pictures?

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

November 1, 2012
10:30 PM

Post #9322479

well... LOL here are two of my daughters.. Joanna ( collge girl) couldn't make up her mind..
Rose was marilyn monroe last year.. totally different this year.. my grandson who is 18 looked like he ate someone he was horrifying to look at.. aint posting that one.. sheesh! what happened to fairys and witches and ghosts and things like that anyways?

Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife      

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 2, 2012
5:58 AM

Post #9322594

Love the costumes!

lanakila

lanakila
Holly Springs, NC
(Zone 7b)

November 2, 2012
9:28 AM

Post #9322774

Sadly, I had to take the last of the tomatoes out of the garden yesterday as our first (very light) frost came this morning. There was still so much fruit on the vines that I would have loved ripened. As it was I did pick a good amount of green tomatoes. I guess fall is finally here in central North Carolina. Oh well...time to plan for spring!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 2, 2012
9:41 AM

Post #9322789

When I pulled our vines, the green tomatoes were also plucked. We have one tomato left that's ripening on the kitchen counter, going to savor that one!
Have you tried putting them in a paper bag? That will speed up the ripening process.

Truly scary stuff, Debra!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 2, 2012
7:24 PM

Post #9323221

Are there any Amaryllis lovers among us besides me? I know you are too, Debra. 'Lemon Lime' started shooting up a stalk several days ago. Lo and behold, it's starting to bloom now, with several buds waiting to open. Seeing the first blooms of the Amaryllis season made my day.

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

November 2, 2012
7:37 PM

Post #9323234

I love that one.. the one you sent me looks like it is trying to sendup a stem.. the leavs are turning yellow.. I havn't moved it from it's little pot, it is bursting the seams, should I move it to a bigger pot now?
Saw some fancy bulbs at my feed n seed place and they were huge and special and 11.99... had to hold off since Joe is still on strike and I Have picked up the bills he pays for a while..

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 2, 2012
9:05 PM

Post #9323299

Several of mine didn't rebloom last year and still have a lot to learn. I water sparingly through the dormant period and yellow leaves fall by themselves or are easily pulled from the bulb. Think about Tulips when their leaves are left to wither and feed the bulbs for next year's blooms. Here's an article I found that might help that says they like to be rootbound, but you can move them up a pot size without disturbing the roots.

http://www.downtownhomeandgarden.com/help_amaryllis.cfm

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

November 3, 2012
9:04 PM

Post #9324017

I planted mine in the ground. They are getting huge leaves right now. Wonder if they are going to try to bloom ????

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

November 4, 2012
6:25 AM

Post #9324222

OK, why didn't someone mention Daylight saving time ended last night?? I was up an hour early.
But then I would have been anyway. Husband fell and hurt his elbow and head. Do not think it is serious, but he is a pretty big man and it made me aware of what a problem this could be. Said he felt dizzy and fell. said it had happened several times lately but he did not fall before. I am hoping it was just the crystals in his ear becoming dislodged like mine did last year.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 4, 2012
9:17 AM

Post #9324343

Crystal, sure hope he is OK, maybe he has high blood pressure, or low blood pressure!

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

November 4, 2012
9:32 AM

Post #9324360

Well I was going steady getting lots done and now I am at the hospital with Mike. They took him straight in to the back and I am just sitting here...sigh..

I was almost done with instaling the attic stairs and was going to instal the porch light next. He is constipated, dizzy, sick to his stomache, and running a temp. I had to threaten him with an ambulance to get him here.

Crystal,, maybe you need to get him to the Doctor. Falling is a bad sign,, get him checked asap..

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

November 4, 2012
9:38 AM

Post #9324362

He was just at the Dr. this past Monday. If that means anything, which maybe it does not.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

November 4, 2012
10:05 AM

Post #9324371

I would still at least call his doc and get advise???

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

November 4, 2012
3:09 PM

Post #9324562

kris and crystal, both of you take care of your men the best u can, i know... men are so different than women. i can't disagree about calling dr about the dizzy fall spell... hope he has u on his "give info" list, joe didn't when he got his blod clot and i was out of town and they wouldn't tell me squat...

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

November 4, 2012
4:15 PM

Post #9324606

He seems Ok now and is adverse to calling Dr. He is unsteady on his feet at best, so any slight thing can cause a problem.
Just went to close the greenhouse (predicted 38 tonight, but I don't believe it) and the yellow angel trumpets are really perfuming. So sweet. November 4th and they are still as beautiful as can be.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

November 4, 2012
4:59 PM

Post #9324639

Froot - the iris 'Immortality' is blooming again right now. I meant to take her picture today but the early evening let the day get away from me.

A welcome surprise in a garden almost spent. :)

xox
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 4, 2012
5:03 PM

Post #9324642

There are medical problems that come with age or are inherited. Others are a mystery, and some are downright flukes. I guess a lot of us take care of our men because they can't or won't or don't or haven't taken the time to care for themselves.

When I went to melt a stick of butter in the microwave to use in a batch of pumpkin bars this afternoon, I heard 'click' after pushing the start button. Lights went out and had to reset the dang kitchen clocks again. I think what's also pulling juice on the same circuit is the lighted plant stand and remember last year that same breaker gave me fits. Hubs says it's fine. Pffft
If I knew how, I'd change it myself, but if I got electrocuted, who would take care of him? And I'll take having plants inside any day over having to reset a breaker and a couple of clocks.

We should all go on a Winter Cruise to the Bahamas or somewhere warm with a beach and a waiter to bring us fruity drinks...lol
'They say' 32 tomorrow night, which would make it our coldest one yet. How I wish I had a greenhouse and would give his you know what for one. At what nighttime temp do you need to start heating yours, Crystal?

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 4, 2012
5:05 PM

Post #9324644

Ahhh...Good for you, Girl! I need to look around and find more White bloomers you don't already have from me. No pun intended...

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

November 4, 2012
6:52 PM

Post #9324767

i have to re-arrange the lights and plug ins downstairs on one breaker, evertime someone uses the hair dryer upstairs the breaker for the lights on charlies room and the freezer room go off.. didn't have this problem last year, so I must have too much going to that breaker.. will look later this week, spent the day cleaning out the garage..
this rock has a hole in it so I put this whatever it is in it.. it is pretty happy..
hibisicus are still blooming away down stairs
morning glorys are blooming away down there too..

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 4, 2012
7:07 PM

Post #9324784

Nice shots. Your Hibiscus bloom makes me happy, so bright and cheerful. In your rock, I think the fleshy plant is some kind of a Sedum and the other one may be a Kalanchoe. If so they'll be good together. But what do I know?
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

November 4, 2012
7:12 PM

Post #9324791

I visited the nursery the other day and took a few pictures in the houseplant green house. These are their Tilly displays that I love.

Thumbnail by tikipod   Thumbnail by tikipod   Thumbnail by tikipod   Thumbnail by tikipod   

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 4, 2012
8:20 PM

Post #9324827

Wow, Ang. That wall of Tilly's is amazing. Love the sprinkling of Orchids too.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

November 4, 2012
9:01 PM

Post #9324869

Oh those are beautiful. I wish I had a wall like that ..
orchids... Imma skeered of those things...LOL

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

November 4, 2012
9:50 PM

Post #9324913

so, I just read my sisters facebook update status. Here it is today. Yesterdays post she had was too hard for me to read, without crying. this is a copy and paste so hope it comes thru alright... you guys are my only friends not related to me, and still to meet up one day. I feel like I have a lot of sisters here. Thank you for making so many of us feel like a cherished friend. She was so depressed yesterday, I couldn't call her for fear I would start crying. The third day after her chemo she usually is down. She told me today that yesterday she didn't think she will make it. Tuesday she goes back to cancer dr and they will check her out and all that. I wish I could be there for her in person. But, I can't. THAT makes me feel guilty and angry. I have been losing hair by the handfuls everyday. I have been depressed and whining to Joe and Joanna about that (Sudden hair loss) and my aches and pains. (RA)
I am very healthy compared to others so I feel blessed to be able to drive and work and do all the things I like to do.. where Sherry , who loves to work, can't sit stil for very long, loves critters, likes to be busy, is not able to and is feeling down bout that.

quote"
imthankful for each day im given to be here. nomatter how bad my pain, depression, sorrows made be. i try hard not to complain, for i have been given life. thier are littel children , moms , dads , babies out thier facing worst things then me from what i can see. so i shall not be sad for myself. god holds all in his hands & gently carries us to our paths. so my prayer for this day is Lord Please heal & watch over all the sick babies, children, moms & dads that are waitning to be reunited with thier loved ones. give peace & comfort to those who have lost a loved one also. thank you lord ,amen
sbish5
Saginaw, MI

November 5, 2012
3:11 AM

Post #9324992

Hello everyone, Debra(joeswife) if possible I would love to have some of both of the moon flower vine seeds is you have any left! Let me know what you would like to do about postage. Thank you. Shirley

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

November 5, 2012
5:44 AM

Post #9325090

My main greenhouse has the heater set to come on when the temperature gets below 55 degrees. The outside temp could be lower, but it hold heat well with a double layer of plastic with an air cushion between. There is also a gravel floor which makes it impossible to roll anything wheeled in there easily, but stores heat very well. Below 55 degrees and many tropicals start to show damage. I do not keep my Episcias in there as they are heat lovers and have to come into my house. I have Streps, AV, Chiritas and things of that sort in my house as well as some plants for display in my greenhouse window over the sink.
I have a smaller older fiberglass greenhouse that is more like a cold frame in the way I heat/don't heat it. The fiberglass is turning dark brown (did that over the summer) and warped, so I have a sheet of plastic over it also. It also has gravel floor. I put gallon jugs of water around to help hold heat. I use a small portable electric heater when it gets below freezing outside and try to set it to come on when the temp is just above 32. I keep nothing in there that will be killed if it does freeze, which means Papyrus, Aristolochia, some perennials, tuberous begonia (bulbs), freesias, some native Passiflora, and other misc stuff that I would like to keep but can't mash into the main house. my object here is to keep things from freezing. I have used 2 small electric heaters if the temperature outside goes in the teens, and I try to leave it closed and not check on it as frequently as I would like to. The 2 heaters can be a problem though as they will trip the breaker.
Next, I just hope for the best.
We seldom have nights in the teens and only very occasionally go as low as single digits or zero.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

November 5, 2012
8:02 AM

Post #9325231

Debra *big hug*

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 5, 2012
10:43 AM

Post #9325379

Sending lots of prayers for you and your Sister Debra! (((((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))))))

You need to see the Dr. about losing your hair. It may be from stress, but you still need to have it checked please?

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

November 5, 2012
8:13 PM

Post #9325732

as soon as Joe is back to work I will go to the dr again to have my hair loss and my RA attended to again..
thanks for the hugs and prayers and thoguhts.
shirley, you need to dmail me your info
Sherry doesn't go to dr this tuesday , she goes next tuesday, i got so upset I didn't hear the tuesday after next..
gonna be a long week and a half now..
she says she is afraid to answer her phone now cuz of the bill collectors, I have manged to stres to her not to worry about bill collectors, they can't put her in jail, she alredy has lost her house, she doesn't have a car that is worth anything, so they can just all stuff it as far as I am concerned.

I told her not to pay anyone a dime.
what the he*& are they thinking calling her to get her even more upset? sheesh!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 5, 2012
8:34 PM

Post #9325753

I would not worry about the bills either, just pay the utilities so she can keep warm, but everything else needs to be ignored!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

November 6, 2012
1:11 PM

Post #9326261

Wow Debra just breaks your heart and of course money or lack of just compounds the problems for your sis. Are you going to get to sneek for there for a day or two any time soon? Awful being so far apart.

This message was edited Nov 6, 2012 3:15 PM
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

November 6, 2012
1:14 PM

Post #9326265

Tiki, that is an amazing place to go and from what I could see on the price tags not bad at all, not that I have any money this close to Christmas to spend on me.

Love those two in the drift wood, that is way too cool. Maybe I should as Santa for that...Santa already has his Christmas which was stove pipe and a ton of insulation for his building he built. Hopefully he can stay warm over there. Missouri winters can be tough.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 8, 2012
6:04 AM

Post #9327727

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1285105/
Christmas stocking swap, come and check it out!
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

November 8, 2012
4:58 PM

Post #9328299

This morning we put down our dog Joeybear. Dad and I did the best we could to not cry hysterically, for Joey's sake. I broke down in the car but we both handled it well until my son got home. My son is completely heartbroken.

Thumbnail by tikipod

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 8, 2012
5:35 PM

Post #9328342

So sorry Ang, never an easy decision! ((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))
sbish5
Saginaw, MI

November 8, 2012
5:44 PM

Post #9328351

Sorry to hear about JoeyBear!! It's a sad,sad time when you loose your beloved pet and not an easy thing to endure. Take care.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

November 8, 2012
8:44 PM

Post #9328484

awwww Ang, I am so sorry for you guys.. what a sweet fur friend Joeybear looks like he was. Joanna is still not over losing Duke, and I miss him a lot,and I am sure you will have fond memories of Joeybear for years to come. My heart goes out to you and your son.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 9, 2012
1:38 AM

Post #9328522

Ang - I am so very sorry for all of you. That is such a hard one.

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 9, 2012
6:35 AM

Post #9328690

(((Ang))) How my heart breaks for you and your family. I'm sure in time the good memories will ease your pain. Having to have our old chow-lab put down several years ago was one of the hardest things I've ever done but she wouldn't have lasted as sick as she was, and we did not want her to live her last few hours in pain. Still miss that gal when I pull in the driveway.

Hubs is hunting again this morning. I'm off to the races. Got to pick up groceries and we're just about out of coffee...ack!

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

November 9, 2012
7:30 AM

Post #9328741

Fruity, your mention of Chow -mix reminded me of yesterday's headlines. Someone dropped off a chow mix at the animal shelter and it turned out rabid. It bit one worker and everybody that was around it had to have the injections. The paper said whoever dropped the dog off should get injections,too, but the dog was dropped off anonymously so they do not know who to contact.
Geez, people are crazy.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

November 9, 2012
8:03 AM

Post #9328776

Thank you everyone. This was a first for both Dad and I. Neither of us have ever had a pet this long. We got him when he was 6 weeks old and he would have turned 14 in 10 days. I remember when we first got him. My parents were given the impression that he was a tea cup sized yorkie and would stay as small as his parents, who were tiny. He grew to be quite a big size. I think he was a Silky, which is a cross between an Australian terrier and a Yorkie, and I've had a lot of people confirm this. Most owned Silkies and Yorkies.

Crystal that is sad. I hope they find the owner or at least anyone it might have bitten. Can you imagine if it was a case where the dog bit a neighborhood child?

This message was edited Nov 9, 2012 8:04 AM

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

November 10, 2012
5:47 AM

Post #9329499

Yesterdays headlines said they had found the person. Or rather they had come forward, for treatment I presume. No details on what had happened and how they came to bring the dog. I wish I knew more. Seems like an interesting story there.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 11, 2012
7:59 AM

Post #9330260

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1285685/
There is a Christmas swap going on, if anyone is interested. Check it out. Sign up ends next Wed.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

November 15, 2012
4:45 PM

Post #9334202

love you guys.. Happy Fall! we still have not had the heater come on... it has to drop to 60 inside the house before that happens, the lights downsairs seem to keep the upstairs pretty warm, along with Joes baking and cooking and the dryer sure wish he would retire, I LOVE him being home ( on strike, it ended, he has until end of month to go back)

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 15, 2012
6:06 PM

Post #9334262

Glad to hear the strike is over!
Goober_Fairy
Smiths, AL

November 15, 2012
6:11 PM

Post #9334266

Hello frutie and taters its nice to be back with my subscrbion

Sincerly
goober - fairy

P.s elfe i miss you
Goober_Fairy
Smiths, AL

November 15, 2012
6:16 PM

Post #9334272

And i am sooo exiced for chrimas i axadently found my chrimas gift at nanas opps

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

November 15, 2012
6:24 PM

Post #9334284

awwwwwwmmmmmmmeeeee bad goobers!!! lol.. bet Nana won't mind too much..
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 15, 2012
7:46 PM

Post #9334346

Goober, You are too cute. Don't tell, but one year when I was about your age, I slit the tape off all the ends of my presents under the tree, opened the boxes and was so excited to have new clothes and jigsaw puzzles. Then I slid the paper wrappings back on oh so gently. My Mother was a smart cookie and somehow knew what I'd done. So on Christmas morning, much to my surprise and disbelief, I opened boxes of Cereal!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

November 15, 2012
8:01 PM

Post #9334357

LOL oh Susan, that is a great story!

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

November 16, 2012
5:24 AM

Post #9334490

Fruity, What a great story!!

When I was a child I used to go in the kitchen closet and close the door and just smell, because it smelled like fruit in there. But I never tried to find it. I guess I just enjoyed the anticipation.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

November 16, 2012
8:12 AM

Post #9334598

My brother and I were masters of tape removal. Either my mom didn't know ooor she didn't really care lol.

I need to start wrapping Mr E's gifts. I have a pile in my Dad's closet and my Dad keeps forgetting to lock his door AND leaves his closet doors open.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

November 23, 2012
9:21 PM

Post #9340984

I hope you all had a lovely Thanksgiving.

I spent the day with my son, Dad, fiance, and future in laws. Prior to the big day we had to introduce my son, who is scared of dogs, to my inlaw's two dogs - a lab and a mini pincher, the one he is most scared of. These two bark, jump and move quickly when excited but are very sweet dogs. He's only successfully befriended two elderly dogs.

Fortunately for us it took three visits for it to be a complete success.
Visit 1 - leash introduction, child freaked. Interaction thru cracked sliding glass door he seemed to be least scared of their lab and offered his hand for a sniff. Visit 2 - lab only, he was scared but then my (f) sil showed how he interacted with her baby, it went well. He sat less than a feet from him. Visit 3 - mini pincher planned. Every day for two weeks I explained what the dog would do - bark, sniff, move quick, sniff, sniff and sniff. Ended up having them release both dogs while my fiance had him on his lap. It went beautifully. He SAW they barked, calmed down, and all the little one did was sniffed him and then sniff him more and more. He pet them, played with them, and sat peacefully playing legos

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 24, 2012
6:24 AM

Post #9341123

Glad to hear it went well for him.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

November 26, 2012
9:38 PM

Post #9343511

That is wonderful! We all got acquaintd with Sadie, a beagle/ mini boxer mix. We havn't heard a dog bark for a long time. LOL Joe even had her on his lap. wow.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 27, 2012
4:50 AM

Post #9343590

Awe, glad to hear your settling in with her!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

November 28, 2012
5:30 AM

Post #9344465

fruity I had to laugh about what your Mom did, mine did something similiar. We thought we were so smart and peeked at the presents under the tree. It really took alot of fun out of Christmas morning (course the presents from Santa were still exciting) except that when we started opening things were different...my doll had a different dress on than I remembered, my sisters sweater was not the same color, we opened the next two presents and things were different...my sister and I were sitting looking at each other when my Mom said the next time you two peek, I will return them, not exchange them...!!!! She had taken everything back and got different colors or something different so she could watch us freak out...rofl. I bet she laughed for days about that. Course after that I think she used some industrial type tape that would of ripped the package to shreds had you tried to open it.

Oh Debra so happy for you getting a dog and such a sweetie one at that.
We have been in the teens but now suppose to get up to 60's...yes!

Everyone decorating? I will start this weekend. Just can't get the spirit after work...too darn tired.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2013
7:37 AM

Post #9388033

HE'S HERE!!! >:/

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2013
8:24 AM

Post #9388086

??? Who is here?

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2013
8:30 AM

Post #9388090

Old man winter!! Of course. :D

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2013
9:02 AM

Post #9388122

Silly girl.. miss seeing you around Amanda. How have you been??

It is very cold here today. I am in my chair, cat in my lap and heater going full blast. Only 62 degrees in my room today. But it is 30 degrees out side so I am very happy. We finished all the insulation except the kitten and living room ceiling. I cannot do those alone as the ceilings are 13 feet high...sigh. But we are getting a nice little amount back in income taxes so will be able to finish the insulation, get the wall boards we want and just maybe have enough left for the Storage building I want. Then I will have my craft room again. Right now I have a computer desk that is way to small to do anything with.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

January 17, 2013
7:08 PM

Post #9388703

old man winter just peeks in at nght, and then spring teases us during the day here.. or maybe Fall won't give in to oldman winter, which ever..
Kris, so glad u r getting things done!

Amanda, how is the new job? aren't u doing water conservation projects? come to derby ,kansas and wichita and get us on track LOL

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2013
7:57 PM

Post #9388755

Hey Debra,, yes we are getting things done finally. I love this place,, just want to get it done...

Edited for spelling ,,,stupid phone.

This message was edited Jan 18, 2013 11:25 PM

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 18, 2013
6:51 PM

Post #9389741

Hi Debra - been thinking of you. Me - I was laid off. The project kept getting farther and farther out, contracts and contractors and design firms and such. Seems the actual installation of all those fun things (rain gardens, cisterns, stuff) won't begin until fall. So I'd gotten to where I was starting to twiddle my thumbs. Suppose it's all for the bes.t I'm back in school and hope this will be my last semester.

Will keep you posted. I have home work to do tonight so I must git!

xox

lanakila

lanakila
Holly Springs, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 22, 2013
8:35 AM

Post #9393587

Our week of winter has finally arrived in central North Carolina. We aren't expecting to get beyond the low 40's during the daylight hours, and will have hard freezes for the next few nights. Makes it all the more fun to be setting in seeds indoors!

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

January 22, 2013
11:57 AM

Post #9393781

Holly Cow...MI winter has arrived! Single digit temps...and SNOW...SNOW..Snow. too bad it's so cold, or we would be out playing in the fluffy snow:) Have a great day everyone!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 22, 2013
8:06 PM

Post #9394263

Hubs said we had 6" of wet snow last Thursday night on top of four days of steady rain. I was glad to be out of town further South and missed most of the storm. When I came home late Sunday afternoon, we just had modest piles on the side of the roads left by the plows. That's the most snow we've had in two years and is a far cry from hefty accumulations many of you have or will have. This will be old coldest night yet, down to 14.

Thought it was time to start thinking of Spring, so come on over to our new thread:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1295048/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
ZZ's - Star-Studded - 'Tomato Seed Round-Robin'. ZZTOPSOIL 335 Aug 8, 2007 11:54 PM
CLOSED: Any newbies wanna start a round robin? kaykay1010 134 Dec 14, 2010 6:31 PM
Spring Fever RR Crimson 146 Apr 13, 2007 12:08 PM
Houseplant Swap snboyken 146 Apr 30, 2007 12:59 PM
Yesterday's News Robin's Resurrection sign-up here Gourd 284 Jul 11, 2007 4:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America