Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Plant Identification: SOLVED: it is not feverfew!

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 14, Views: 171
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
HeatherY
Kensington, NY

October 24, 2012
7:55 PM

Post #9314607

Hey, everyone,

I sewed feverfew seeds I bought from a catalog and got these - they are too tall to be feverfew and not
at all double petaled like the seed package.

I still want to grow feverfew - anyone know how to get seeds or better plants? Heather

Thumbnail by HeatherY   Thumbnail by HeatherY
Click an image for an enlarged view.

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 24, 2012
8:00 PM

Post #9314610

Looks like you have Wild Quinine - Parthenium integrifolium
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 25, 2012
6:34 PM

Post #9315496

It's not a plant I'm familiar with, but it doesn't appear that the flower centers are usually yellow... ?
http://www.google.ca/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=Parthenium integrifolium&oe=UTF-8&redir_esc=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=--eJUM7FFevuiQKQ44GwBA&biw=1643&bih=995&sei=_eeJUKuFFubfiAKewgE

I agree it does look like a Parthenium but I'm curious about the above... I may be missing something!

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 25, 2012
7:19 PM

Post #9315536

Alta- you make a good point. After a closer look, perhaps the leaves are opposite, not alternate, which made me think of Parthenium. Few plants have this distinctive flower. If the leaves are opposite, it is likely a Galinsoga, which has this unique flower form AND yellow centers, at least the species seen around here. If stems smooth, G. parviflora, if stems hairy, G. ciliata. My oops.
singhg45
Delhi
India

November 2, 2012
4:31 PM

Post #9323048

Yes it is Galinsoga parviflora, a common weed in shaded areas at least in Kashmir, W. Himalayas.
HeatherY
Kensington, NY

November 23, 2012
6:18 PM

Post #9340826

hello, G.,
You mean to tell me I have a _Kashmiri_ plant sprouting up here in the mid Atlantic Eastern Seaboard of North America?!
wow.Heather

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 23, 2012
8:08 PM

Post #9340908

Galinsoga is a common alien plant in the US, not unlike many of the plants one encounters all around. It may be common in Kashmir, but I believe it is originally native to South America.

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 23, 2012
9:56 PM

Post #9341011

What catalog did you get these from? I could understand someone mistaking a plant in their own garden but there is no excuse for someone selling seeds professionally to make such an error.
singhg45
Delhi
India

November 24, 2012
12:13 AM

Post #9341030

Dear HeatherY, the plant is native of America, naturalised in almost all parts of world including Himalayas and Kashmir, where I have seen it most, and mentioned in my post. I am presently in California and have spotted it here at many places. See its dstribution:

http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/taxon.pl?104241

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 24, 2012
10:14 AM

Post #9341282

Again, not native to North America, but found over most of the continent. Could be the seeds were in Heather's soil and displaced her Feverfew seedlings.
singhg45
Delhi
India

November 24, 2012
10:26 PM

Post #9341711

Please note that I have provided link to GRIN of United States Department of Agriculture. This I believe is a reliable source.
singhg45
Delhi
India

November 24, 2012
10:31 PM

Post #9341712

Moreover you had mentioned South America as native place, I mentioned America, I can't understand where is the contradiction. GRIN gives both South America and North America.

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 25, 2012
6:22 AM

Post #9341830

If you look carefully, USDA has the designation "I" for US and Canada, which is to indicate that the plant is "Introduced", not native.

Just because two continents have a common word in their names does not make them the same place any more than if Africa were named South Eurasia. If a plant is native to Chile, that does not mean it is considered native to the U.S. and/or Canada.

This message was edited Nov 25, 2012 12:41 PM

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 25, 2012
8:31 AM

Post #9341923

Heather - Please check your plants to see if their leaves are opposite or alternate. If they are alternate, then the plants are likely Parthenium integrifolium, Wild Quinine as I initially proposed. Just noticed in reading today that another common name for Parthenium integrifolium is American Feverfew, in which case you received the seeds you ordered. Check the catalog you ordered from and see what name, if any, they provided beyond "Feverfew".
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 25, 2012
9:02 AM

Post #9341945

In regards to where Galinsoga parviflora is native, USDA appears to disagree with itself depending on which site you look at, I think that's where some of the misunderstanding is coming from. This USDA site http://plants.usda.gov/java/nameSearch as greenthumb99 mentions that it's an introduced species in US & Canada, but the GRIN site which singhg45 posted earlier (also connected to the USDA) states that it's native to NM, AZ, and TX http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/taxon.pl?104241 Regardless of where it's native though it's got a widespread distribution beyond its native range.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America