Photo by Melody

Sewing and Quilting: TOOOO many UFOs and not enough time! (2)

Communities > Forums > Sewing and Quilting
bookmark
Forum: Sewing and QuiltingReplies: 252, Views: 1,505
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

October 24, 2012
9:31 PM

Post #9314673

We were over the 200 mark... any one getting some projects finished? We'd love to see more complete

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2012
9:39 PM

Post #9314679

binding almost finished on the present runner...tree wall hanging next in line...

I posted on last thread while you were creating this one

I work 40 + hours a week, I don't do laundry, and I don't cook. rarely watch television...sew instead... I have two days off each week, at least one of them is spent cutting material, and / sewing / quilting.

I work more than they do, so hubs and son do the laundry and the cooking..I am very blessed to live with two fantastic men, and they both love to reap the benefits!! not only am I a much happier person when I have been spending time sewing, but I make them great things!! sew...it works out well for all of us :-)

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

October 24, 2012
9:49 PM

Post #9314682

I've been working on my Halloween wall hanging... the big question is, will it get hung in 2012 at all??? LOL

I'm seriously thinking of finsihing the edges, not quilting before Halloween and hanging it incomplete just so I can see it on the wall!! I forgot and left my basting spray outside and it was too cold to use this evening. *sigh* maybe tomorrow morning at 4Am when once again I can not sleep!!! Get it ready to hang then.

I have 2 more baby quilts that need to be sewn. ONe, the baby was born today! I picked up more sports theme fabric this evening when we drove to Moses Lake to shop at Fashion Bug. They are going out of business and I bought a black jacket and 3 tops for $81. Everything was at least 40% off. I'm excited, I dropped another size.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2012
9:52 PM

Post #9314684

Whooo Hoooo Doc !!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 25, 2012
3:44 AM

Post #9314765

pat, how are you doing it, sure need to drop pounds, not over eating but they seem to just find my bones and stay..

Working on a top, bringing it to work and top will likely be ready for quilting this weekend. Must check the weather, much to do outside before the snow but should it rain I'll be able to quilt it.

Would live to see the halloween piece!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 25, 2012
7:52 AM

Post #9314905

Well, I finally got the courage to look at my list. As suspected, nothing on that list finished but being closer to moving into my sewing area is. Does that count?

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 25, 2012
8:13 AM

Post #9314926

sure does..another step closer

Looked at my blackboard in my craft room, saw quite a few things crossed off and still some remaining..
I'm on a mission now, looking to cross over a few more!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

October 25, 2012
8:37 AM

Post #9314961

I made an optomistic list at the beginning of the area and let's just say... it was OVERLY optomistic!!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 25, 2012
8:43 AM

Post #9314967

Then I am in wonderful company for sure!!!!!

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 25, 2012
9:07 AM

Post #9314999

Hooray for GREAT company !! I'd be very lost without all of you :)
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 25, 2012
9:46 AM

Post #9315046

...so would I.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

October 25, 2012
12:44 PM

Post #9315209

Why does my list keep growing when I feel like I've done so much??? All the things I listed in the what are you getting done area and NOT ONE of what was on my list!!!!!

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 25, 2012
9:04 PM

Post #9315615

Barb, you must also be in the quilters with ADHD club??!!! do a little work on this...go do a little work on that...oh I know how this will go...need something new to do...yup QADHD...

I don't even want to try to count how many projects I have going right now !!!!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

October 26, 2012
4:51 AM

Post #9315726

Maybe that's what I did wrong Thunder. I should not have counted them!!!!! I'll keep plugging sway and enjoy every minute of it!

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 26, 2012
6:10 AM

Post #9315812

I guess I am joining the club.
Living betw. 2 places is unsettling for me. So now I start this (baby blanket) than designed a new crochet stitch I saw an afghan while visiting and wanted to duplicate that stitch. Couldn' but something else came of it. So now I have an afghan going. Christmas wall hanging. moved it here, didn't finish, shipped it back to FL with my car, but now with this monster storm coming who knows if I can fly home on Wed. as booked. Another Quilt on design wall in Fl. Dresden top near finished, here I must not abandon it.(very tempted) .do have an embroidery project on ice. Well that is'nt bad.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 26, 2012
6:54 AM

Post #9315844

Helene, I sure hope you are able to return to Florida but the weather just isn't looking all that great for the middle of the week.

I can relate to living between 2 places...I feel like that sometimes when I travel between here and my sister's home. I like "constant" where my living arrangements are concerned.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 26, 2012
3:20 PM

Post #9316318

Helene, good luck getting out. Hopefully your flight will be okay. We re driving down on Wednesday. I have lived between two homes, most weeks, for over twenty years. Getting out of bed on the wrong side can have serious consequences.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 26, 2012
3:40 PM

Post #9316335

TU,
I too had very few years with only one home. We lived in queens and had summer/weekend residents on Candlewood Lake CT. then one home for a while, then Longboat Key Fl and Brewster NY for vacation and then 6/6. ( had to get rid of 2000 (yes) AV's) I raised for show, that was OUCH Now I am alone and stayed 2 years in FL and that was cozy and worked nice with all my hobbies. But this past year I decided to do 6/6 with LBK FL and Tweskbury NJ.Had to get rid of orchids and 50 AV's and many Eppies, clivias and hoyas another OUCH.
So now I am flying back Storm permitting.

New twist in my life however, DD, who I stay with, has to move and work in Tx as of next year, we have to see what to do with Helene.

The world of technology brings famalies apart.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 28, 2012
5:38 AM

Post #9317725

Helene - do you know where in TX? I have been to some FABULOUS quilt shops around San Antonio the past couple days. Have seen fabrics I've never seen before. I am SO inspired to use those I've purchased.

Yesterday I used Sherry's ProStitcher to quilt the baby quilt. We found this adorable pattern with fairies - dresses made from 2 upside down hearts - carrying a bouquet of heart shaped flowers. So adorable.

At one of the 1st shops they had holiday shirts. Back starts with a holiday panel. The yoke is a coordinating fabric. Then each side of the front is split horizontally randomly & made with other holiday fabrics. So we collected fabrics & yesterday bought a shirt pattern (Sherry does not make clothes so no pattern on hand). Last nite I got her shirt cut out & the fronts put back together. Hope to finish her shirt today & get started on mine.
I've told her she will start getting one for every season!!!!

Anyway, having a great time in TX.

Robin, if you are following this thread, hope you guys make it thru the storm that is approaching.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 28, 2012
7:51 AM

Post #9317837

Keeping all those in the path of these storms in my thoughts and prayers.

Baby sat the oldest GD yesterday and what a fabulous time we had. Usually she is very quiet when the youngest is around but oh what a change! It was just really extra special time.

Oh Jean, sounds like you are having so much fun. Can't wait to see a picture of the shirts...fantastic idea.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

October 28, 2012
12:45 PM

Post #9318095

Jean, Looking forward to pictures of the holiday shirts, they sound great!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 29, 2012
5:07 AM

Post #9318700

What are you doing in Texas Jean? You are about 3 hours from me.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 29, 2012
6:17 AM

Post #9318768

Came down for the Houston Quilt Show. My friend has me over here in Victoria for a few days.
Anyone tried "Locker Hooking"??? She got me hooked yesterday. Great way to use up 1 1/4" strips of left over fabrics.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 29, 2012
7:46 AM

Post #9318864

Never heard of it, but looked it up on youtube, looks interesting!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2iQwz-JesM
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 29, 2012
8:07 AM

Post #9318884

That is very interesting...okay so this to learn to do #1,289!! :-)
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 14, 2012
4:01 AM

Post #9332742

I have blocks from the numerous swaps we did here. Just never found the "perfect" fabric to tie them together. I will put them all to a very good use tomorrow. I'm taking them with me to the "Sandy Donation Quilting Session". So all of you that were in any of these swaps will be donating your blocks to this effort. I'll make sure to get pics.

Rainy morning here & the Pumpkin Spice coffee is hitting the spot!!!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

November 14, 2012
6:04 AM

Post #9332807

How very special..
They will be treasures before you know it!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 14, 2012
6:08 AM

Post #9332814

Jean, there is no one in this area who is doing that. Could your group use some more blocks?
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 14, 2012
6:14 AM

Post #9332819

Marion - let me see how this goes tomorrow (1st meeting). I'll ask the shop owner if she would like more blocks.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 14, 2012
6:44 AM

Post #9332855

Thanks Jean. I so wish there was some place up here. I am using up my odd and ends of yarn and doing scarves. Another thread I check regularly has asked for scarves, hats, mittens and slippers. At least I can do that...can't stand to watch TV without doing something with my hands!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

November 14, 2012
8:05 AM

Post #9332926

I'm like that too Marion. Been working on some hats and scarves at night...
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 14, 2012
8:13 AM

Post #9332941

I have never done hats but scarves are easy. At least I feel like I am doing something even if it is a small drop in the bucket.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 14, 2012
8:53 PM

Post #9333541

Marion, lots of small drops quickly add up to a full bucket...

Hats off to all of you for doing a Drop !!!!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 15, 2012
9:34 AM

Post #9333868

Thanks Thunder. I have very dear friends whose children are in the NJ area and several nieces and nephews in the NY, Conn. area so I will do my drop! Not to many who are on DG who might benefit from this effort.

Brain and fingers not working together. Then what else is new? LOL

This message was edited Nov 15, 2012 12:35 PM

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 1, 2012
4:40 PM

Post #9347148

I have edited my list, very Happy to say I have gotten a few things done :-) and of course added some more

I have tons of RWB blocks to put together into a few quilts.

a quilt for # 3 son, that was done as a quilt as you go, that needs borders added...it sat too long and now he has a bigger bed. done :-)

quilts for Malena's bunk beds...want to make 2, with the charms from the swaps, one top about 2/3 rds done change in plans here, going to do a "hungry caterpillar" before doing any more work on the butterfly quilts decided to finish charms quilt :-) done starting caterpillar soon

black and white with a touch of color blocks from swaps, top is about 2/3 rds together...

set of place mats, cut and pieced, needs backing picked out and then quilted..

a few different wall hangings that need to be quilted, along with a few table toppers, that need backs then quilting... :-) two runners finished, one wall hanging done :)

Now have to add
Christmas tree wall hangings (2) one done :-)
pink and white table topper
pink, and black and white quilt
very large Dresden...needs backing in a hurry!!!
smaller Dresden needs backing sewn on...hope to do this one Monday morning, and get it to the PO with the charm squares done :-)

I put the large dresden aside, and finished the smaller one. I am still not sure how I want to do the back side for the large one, may just do more "blades" in one or two colors?? I want to keep it round.

edited to post some done !!

This message was edited May 8, 2013 8:41 AM

Thumbnail by barefootT
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 2, 2012
4:53 AM

Post #9347373

Morning all..

Wow Thunder, you've accomplished a lot..don't you feel you are tied to the sewing machine room..nice place to be..Was shocked to see but a few bolts left on the shelves ..hard to stock up for next year..

Clock is a ticking, am sure you will accomplish remaining projects..

Couldn't sleep all night, over tired comes to mind...lol

I've got to quilt

2nd large dreden plate DONE

Christmas tree quilt will be a christmas 2013 gift..will quilt in the new year!

Pressie quilt Keeping for myself..can be done next year when the slow is a blowing and I'm looking for something to do

Mixed block quilt DONE

Christmas runner DONE

Binding on 6 placemats..thought DIL how to make 2 sets, not ready to hand sew bindings yet, promised to help her..1 set done) DONE

Only piece I need is the Dresden plate table cloth,and do binding on placemats.. the rest would just a bonus and they would have no home to go to..

Have 2 weeks left so am sure I will get them done..

Thing is, i received the twister template yesterday and a few patterns to boot, now to play..DID PLAY..MANAGED TO DO A LARGE BLOCK INLAY..love it!

If I sewed a few blocks together for each the cut out tree hanging and tree wreath could I call them UFO's??

Off to wrap more fits from Buffalo travels Friday/Saturday, get dusting done (oooh all those dg workshop cutting projects let dust filter through cutting room via furnace, then can stay in my Jammie's all day and play..can life get better than that

This message was edited Dec 10, 2012 2:47 PM

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

December 2, 2012
5:24 AM

Post #9347392

No it can't Betty. Have a fun day!!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 2, 2012
5:37 AM

Post #9347404

my pressies

Thrilled (if it works) that I won't have to keep grabbing for my foot pedal

You sewing to day Barb?

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

December 2, 2012
5:41 AM

Post #9347417

After we put up the tree I may do a bit. I'm curious about the Twister. Is there a web site shown on the package? And you must let me know if the pedal holder works too. Mine just takes off on me and that might be a suggestion for Christmas...
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 2, 2012
6:09 AM

Post #9347444

Barb - a piece of that mesh like" shelf paper" or the stuff you put under throw rugs works to hold the foot pedal in place.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 2, 2012
6:39 AM

Post #9347489

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-d1sqIfUctQ

I think this is the twister pattern she is talking about?

Watch till the end, lots of things you can make with this.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 2, 2012
6:44 AM

Post #9347497

Barb, drats, wouldn't you know after I cut all those wood kits that I cleaned up a bit, what did I throw away?? the pieces left from the big dresden templates and tree runners..shaking my head..know better.

Just found enough to cut a few, will ask Greg for more plexi and cut more for those who want..

Will mail this one for you tomorrow and will post a link for you..in your shopping, look for platic adhesive grabs to stick under the template for easier cutting..

now I wonder if in the box of wood ready to go out to the fire if there are a few pieces..Greg will have to bring me more for the larger templates..

Get awful easy to get away from what I planned for today, can always bring projects to work tomorrow..lol

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 2, 2012
6:47 AM

Post #9347498

thanks LindaKay..not sure if it's the same pattern from Missouri Quilts that did the christmas wreath..will go check it out!

Call Greg after I cut the 1st template, drats, can't find plexi anywhere..he was on his way to the big ships (he bid on major upgrades in stainless steel) won all the bids now has to go do measuring and designing..I asked if he'd bring me plexi glass tonight so I could cut, told me to give him measurements and it would take all of a few minutes to cut and will drop off ..I asked for 8 so if anyone wants one let me know..am sure it would fit in a christmas card for mailing!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 2, 2012
6:50 AM

Post #9347504

Is the same LindaKay but I couldn't open the tutorial???

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 2, 2012
6:52 AM

Post #9347506

I would love one, but please don't feel rushed to mail it, I have enough projects here to keep me busy for a bit.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 2, 2012
6:54 AM

Post #9347511

Just go to YouTube.com, search for Missouri star quilt company, then twister pattern, or twister tool.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 2, 2012
6:55 AM

Post #9347513

I have it on my ipad LindaKay just not smart enough to figure out how to put it onto DG..

If Greg brings them tonight, I'll post them tomorrow..don't like leaving things as I've a mind like a sieve..best do it ASAP..
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 2, 2012
7:01 AM

Post #9347522

Ladies - be caerful what you offer to copy from copyrighted patterns or templates. Most are clearly marked that copying is not permitted so it is not wise to adertise that you are doing so.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 2, 2012
7:11 AM

Post #9347535

No patterns copied...
My rendition looks nothing like original!!!

Rarely use pattern, I'm a look and do..

With it posted on web and detailed instructions given am sure it's for use

This message was edited Dec 2, 2012 10:15 AM
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 2, 2012
7:53 AM

Post #9347559

I am totally addicted to those M.Q videos on you tube.

This thread has me cleaning out things and throwing out things, reorganizing. Life is only so short and I needed to set aside some things that I actually could finish, not just things I like. Ive kept out some Christmas stuff that if I start early next year I can finish it by next Christmas. I need to learn to applique tho. Finish up with quilted borders. Found a book I had gotten with quilts made from leaders and enders, and have a big box of squares cut just for that purpose. The wonky blocks were a good start on that.
My machine has started squeking a bit, so maybe it will get a Christmas tune up before next year.
Nice sunny day...off to the yard, there will be enough cold days in Jan. that keep me inside.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

December 2, 2012
9:07 AM

Post #9347612

There was a link to a neat Tut for a Disappearing 4 Patch on the right margin of the Twister Tut

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 2, 2012
9:26 AM

Post #9347623

Siliolegma, sent that package out for your buddy on Saturday morning..she should receive it this week..sorry for the delay!!!

Have to go watch that link..

Forgot about my brother's christmas gathering this afternoon at a big resort..drats, fighting a headache am sure he will u nderstand I just want to sit in my jammies..mom is putting guilt trip on me but won't fall for it lol

clean, sit, sew and start all over again..rather be quiet!!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

December 2, 2012
10:13 AM

Post #9347666

Thanks Betty, let me know what I owe for postage please.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 2, 2012
7:16 PM

Post #9348246

I tried the shelf stuff for my peddle and it did not work for me.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

December 3, 2012
4:05 AM

Post #9348394

It doesn't work for me either Thunder. Doesn't grip enough. I'll be curous to see how Betty's new toy works...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 3, 2012
10:50 AM

Post #9348757

still moves a bit but it came with velcro, didn't say where to put it, perhaps I put it in the incorrect place..have to check that out tonight, but it was about 90% better..good choice.

Was on my own for lunch today so went to the fabric shop, they've enlarged by taking another store next to them just for fabrics..they've so many gadgets and a wide throat machine by Janome I'd love to have..hmmm wonder if Santa has already filled my bag with things I've asked for..

Ended up purchasing the larger 'twister' template..my books won't be in for a few weeks ..drats

You can find detailed instructions for the Christmas wreath here..she also shows you how to make your own template, where to position lines etc. If you are tempted to try one, here's the link

http://chumkieshobbies.blogspot.ca/2012/10/twisted-xmas-wreath-quilt-tutorial.html

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 3, 2012
2:27 PM

Post #9348934

thanks for the link Betty, very nice wreath.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

December 3, 2012
7:56 PM

Post #9349208

Ladies, what fabric paint do you use to make your quilt labels? Thunder... like my adorable Noah's ark label, where do I buy them? I was hoping to buy 2 small sets (one for me, one for part of stepdaughter's Christmas gift). I bought 2quilt label books today, 2 new for her, 1 I'm bidding on used for me.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 3, 2012
9:36 PM

Post #9349238

I use "pigma"micron 005 pens,and "zig" millenium and sharpie fabric markers

the pigma have been around longer, that is what I used on your Noah label think I bought them at clotilde?? not sure but got them on line.

I have had the set of pigmas for at least 6-7 years, and they are still working just fine...you need to be sure the cover is clicked on all the way, and store them so they are laying down, not standing in a cup...

any where that sells scrap booking stuff should have them, I believe that was their original purpose?

yup clotilde...well now it is Annies http://www.anniescatalog.com/list.html?criteria=pigma pens&go.x=18&go.y=2

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

December 3, 2012
10:05 PM

Post #9349245

THANKS!!! I have now been looking at Amazon, Michaels, & Hobby lobby and have a much better idea of what I am looking for with your input!!!

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 4, 2012
8:50 AM

Post #9349535

Any time Doc. :)
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 4, 2012
9:48 AM

Post #9349587

Somewhere towards the end of the Nov thread, there are different suggestions for them as well. I was looking to make a label. Goggle had someone who compared lots of different ones, Ill have to go look for that.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

December 4, 2012
12:57 PM

Post #9349705

that would be GREAT! I have not purchased YET, I have a shopping expedition planned for Monday, I have the day off after working On-call for the weekend and hope to finish up the last of my shopping (that's the DREAM, not the reality!)
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 5, 2012
6:01 AM

Post #9350269

Speaking of labels...made a very cute one for Kayla's quilt with baby pic and all the details. Mom kept going back and forth on the spelling of her middle name. So I went with what was on the back of the ultrasound pics we had "Jacquelin".

So I deliver the quilt, Mom sees the label & everything is fine. Dad sees the label & wants to know why the name is misspelled. It should be "Jacquelyn". So I need to make & new label & send it to her & she will stitch it on.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

December 5, 2012
7:03 AM

Post #9350324

Ouch... sorry about that Jean! I am a chicken, I would have gone with J. and skipped the quessing game!

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 5, 2012
7:37 AM

Post #9350351

I am working on a bag...will take a picture in a bit. ordered buy a guy at work to give as a Christmas gift. remember the little one I did for Malena?? well he saw it and asked if I could make one much bigger?? sew I had to refigure the design, I spent most of yesterday working on it...

used that very stiff iron on stuff pellon something?? interesting to work with.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

December 5, 2012
12:54 PM

Post #9350614

That's what I use on the coloring book totes. But I only use it on the front and back fabrics and the handles. Nothing on the linings...I like the way it stays put while I quilt them...

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 5, 2012
8:53 PM

Post #9351004

sorry I did not get back with pictures, here they are
1 baby bag, 6.5 inches across
2 big bag, 18 inches, still needs ruffle, handle and binding
3 inside big bag , hard to tell but both sides has a bunch of pockets...

and tonight at work another person asked for one, a small one for a little girl, she also wants skeletons!! I have to see if I can get more of the fabric??

Thumbnail by barefootT   Thumbnail by barefootT   Thumbnail by barefootT      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

December 5, 2012
9:49 PM

Post #9351030

Skeletons are popular, if you can't find THAT one, you'll still be able to find a dozen others!

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 6, 2012
4:11 AM

Post #9351095

Nice bag design. Reminds me, I have the stuff to make a bag for a friend and have not even started it. She is going away for the holidays so perhaps I can surprise her & have it done when she gets back.

And I still have other Christmas gifts I need to work on...

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

December 6, 2012
5:21 AM

Post #9351123

Love the bags Thunder.
I think I still have one to make for Christmas too!!! Must go check...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 6, 2012
5:25 AM

Post #9351130

Thunder, just love the bags..
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 6, 2012
5:46 AM

Post #9351140

Gosh, I havent dont the first thing for Christmas, guess I need to get over to amazon. If I make gifts at Christmas, its food, and this year I havent even thought about what I might do...UM not going to do without my chex party mix 'stuff' and cheese straws and butterballs ( those little melt in your mouth powdered sugar cookies). Fudge is out this year. Whats always always in tho is ambrosia for my Mother. She loves it, but peeling and sectioning those oranges is something she just wont do anymore. Im glad I can do a liitle something for someone who needs nothing.

I found a spider web quilt I must have started, have alot of it pieced, retro fabric. I have no memory of this what so ever...scary. Now I know where my triangle ruler cam from ..mercy. Put it back in the box for another decade ;-). Its coming back to me know, it was a kit and I just opened the box again, looks like its from 2003.

Love those skeleton bags

This message was edited Dec 6, 2012 8:46 AM
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 6, 2012
7:03 AM

Post #9351193

Love the bag Thunder. I have made a few things this year but nothing spectacular. Some open back dresses for my mom, appliques some dish towels for my sister and DIL and somethings still in progress.

I was trying to get some things finished today as my lawn man was scheduled to come tomorrow...showed up at 8:30 this morning. Lazy me was still in bed. So I am taking a quick break to check here then back outside.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 6, 2012
8:01 AM

Post #9351236

I've been saving the selvages to do a spider web. My friend in TX is making one from them & it is very nice.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 6, 2012
9:57 PM

Post #9351916

awww thanks every one.

I dug through my stash and found a bunch of different fabrics, and brought them in to work. the girl was supposed to come see me before she left, I guess she either forgot or could not find me?? I will bring them back in tomorrow, and see what happens.
I was hoping she would pick something I have, I really don't want to take the time to go to the store to see if they have any...and I will be to tempted to buy other things...ya know what I mean!!??!!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 7, 2012
6:37 AM

Post #9352088

LOL Thunder are you saying that you can't go near fabric without buying some. Hummm, now that I think about it who on this thread can?

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 7, 2012
8:40 AM

Post #9352195

I always see something "I just have to have" !!!!

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 8, 2012
6:39 PM

Post #9353328

finished bag, gave it to new owner, he was very happy, said the girl he is going to give it to will just love it :)

girl at work looked at some fabrics I had on hand and she picked one out, so I will be making a baby bag for her, it is for her daughter, she is 9.

here is the finished big bag.

Jean, when you cut selvages ...How much do you cut off? close to the edge? or an inch or so in? I read somewhere?? that it is advisable to cut in at least 1.5'' to be sure you cut of all of edge , as it is woven tighter. If you use it in blocks it can later distort them, it will shrink/stretch wear differently than other parts of the fabric???

any one hear of this before???

Thumbnail by barefootT

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 8, 2012
8:03 PM

Post #9353367

Love that bag Thunder!

Yes, I always cut of at least an inch inside the salvage. I have a small bag of those ends to send to Jean.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 9, 2012
4:16 AM

Post #9353457

thanks Linda, good mornin' :-)
hope Y'all have a great day!! I am soon off to work for the day shift, good thing about it is I get home early and get to have dinner with my guys!!! then Mon and Tues off.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 9, 2012
4:39 AM

Post #9353465

Enjoy your days off!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 9, 2012
7:15 AM

Post #9353556

It is just too adorable Thinder..bet there will be smiles galore when the young lady receives it..

Enjoy your day...remember, you've painting to do!! Snowmen await! Lol

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 9, 2012
7:27 AM

Post #9353560

On salvages - I cut off at least 1/2", especially on the side that has all the writing & color swatches.

I think I'm decorated for the holidays. Now to get the empty bins out of the middle of the FR floor. Then on to working on some sewing projects that I have to get done & in the mail (hopefully tomorrow).

For all the bakers out there - yesterday I learned (the hard way) that you CANNOT use a sugar/splenda/truvia mix for a cake & expect it to come out light & fluffy. It turns out very dense; tastes good but very dense - more of a brownie texture.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 9, 2012
7:43 AM

Post #9353573

This is really the only time of the year I bake, and its straight up sugar and butter. I dont even like butter, but it makes the cookies so much better, and when giving them away, one wants them to taste as good as possible ;-). Well, not that I dont have to sample the first and last batch.

I would love to learn to bake gluten free and sugar free. So many people cant eat either. It would be really great to have a couple recipes that were just yummy. Ive never gotten anything to turn out that I would even think about giving away. It doesnt have to be gluten and sugar free, just one or the other, altho to accomplish both would be fantastic.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 9, 2012
8:23 AM

Post #9353607

That is good to know about the substituting of splenda/sugar plus mix in cakes. Kim and I have done a few successful substitutes but not cakes. Have used the unsweetened apple sauce instead of oil which worked nicely. Kim did it for a cake order as we didn't have any oil in the cupboard. They still are asking for her cake recipe...just to funny!! Not sure what she will be doing today...goodies for all her classes this week but on Friday, one class is bringing in breakfast for a special "thank you/congratulations" for her.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

December 9, 2012
11:02 AM

Post #9353752

Today's Parade magazine with the Sunday paper had cookie recipes and one was gluten free. Must be good it was a top five winner.

Gluten free peanut butter cookies: 1 cup sugar, 1 cup peanut butter, 1 egg, 1tsp, vanilla, 1/2 cup crushed peanuts.Oven 325.
In large bowl, beat sugar, vanilla, egg, peanut butter until well blended. Form cookies using small scoop. Place on parchment paper lined baking sheet. Flatten and make criss-cross design with fork. Sprinkle with peanuts Bake for 10 to 12 minutes until lightly browned. Cool for 2 minutes on baking sheet. transfer to wire rack to cool completely. makes 24

gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 9, 2012
11:15 AM

Post #9353770

Thanks for the recipe!!! I have the parade magazine sitting on top of the coupons waiting to take a look. Now I for sure will.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 9, 2012
1:54 PM

Post #9353925

Ohh Karen, thanks for the recipe
DIL can only eat gluten free..mightjusthave to try a batch for her

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

December 9, 2012
2:04 PM

Post #9353936

I only looked at it because my DGS new fiancee can only eat gluten free also. Sent it to my DD so she can make her some.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 9, 2012
2:13 PM

Post #9353942

Mega aisles in our grocery stores with gluten free but you have to mortgage the house just to afford it..

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 9, 2012
7:20 PM

Post #9354187

I just heard on the radio today that domino has a new sugar mix out that is half sugar, half stevia, and they are advertising it works fantastic for baking, and that you use half the amount called for in recipe... said recipes are at domino.com I have been using stevia for awhile , I like it . but have only used in my coffee, and I do use half what I used to.
my oven does not work well so we don't trust it for baking. :( hoping to get a new one next year.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 10, 2012
3:33 AM

Post #9354339

Thunder - that is the sugar mix I used in the cake that came out so dense. I've had good luck using it in cookies & pies but beware of using it in a cake.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 10, 2012
7:36 AM

Post #9354540

I must have not had enough coffee yesterday as I missed the cookie recipes in the paper. Going to take another look...love peanut butter cookies. Don't bake them as I am the only one who will eat them. :-(

We use Splenda since Kim found out she is diabetic...I am considered borderline so trying to eat much as she does...also makes preparing meals simple.

Betty, you are so right about the prices of those items...even organic items.

This message was edited Dec 10, 2012 10:37 AM

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 10, 2012
7:43 AM

Post #9354546

Marion, make the cookies and bring them to me !!!! I will help you eat em YUM YUM... :-)
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 10, 2012
8:07 AM

Post #9354568

Okay, will be coming through most likely next Wednesday. What is your work schedule and where shall we met?
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 11, 2012
3:15 AM

Post #9355310

I think we need a separate thread for the Trenton get together, My ladies want to come and meet everyone. I think we will do a van pool! I do believe we will need nametags, to meet so many at one time.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 11, 2012
5:40 AM

Post #9355369

Ill sure be there, unless its March 28th. Thats my Dads 90th birthday, cant miss it.
Maybe I need to drive out and make sure everything is still there and they are ready for us, might need to make sure the foods still good as well ;-O
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 11, 2012
7:15 AM

Post #9355460

Mittsy, that is a very good idea about having another thread. Name tags also. It would be fun meeting the weekend of the quilt/craft festival but I am not sure about the crowds. Would a weekend or weekday be better to arrange this with a possibility of so many coming? I can contact Stephanie and make arrangements if needed. I have some other friends in Gainesville who might want to join us when we decide.

Pam, yes we do need some one to run reconnaissance to check out quality of food. LOL Don't forget the desserts please.

Oh my, but I do feel a party coming on!! Let the fun begin.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 11, 2012
7:39 AM

Post #9355494

at this point in time I usually have Mon and Tues off, but that changes as needs require...for instance if someone needs a specific day off. or vacation time.
we are about to have management shift, and that usually means schedule changes...

my preference would be to NOT meet when there is such a big thing going on, I'd prefer not to deal with big crowds...but I will if that is what is decided...and I have never been to a quilt show. It would be nice to do so... If I know enough ahead of time ( 3-4 wks) I can request day off.

Marion, if you are talking about the 19th, I work 8:30 - 5:30
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 11, 2012
8:14 AM

Post #9355516

Yes, if nothing goes wrong (problems with knee getting worse) Kim and I plan to go down to my sisters on the 19th. Hummm, now where do you work?
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 22, 2012
4:49 AM

Post #9364468

Yesterday, after I put out mulch & moved the tomato plants into the greenhouse, I still had some energy & motivation left so headed out to the Studio. I pulled out the makings for a class I took back in Sep. It was making triangles from strip tubes. Actually a very good method for making HST. BUT - it needs 10 2 1/2" HST per block. They wrap around 2 sides of a large HST. And there are 20 units in the top. Whatever was I thinking when I started this?!?!?!?!!?!? Anyway, most of the large triangles are made so I was working on the small HST. Good thing I was listening to a good Book on CD.

Plan to head back out today after cookies are done.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 22, 2012
11:07 AM

Post #9364738

Well it is obvious I didn't make it down to see mom yet!

Jean, yikes! I got befuddled just reading what you posted. Don't think that would be a project I would undertake. Good luck and will be waiting to see pictures.

No cookies here yet. Kim and I might, notice the word: might, make some tomorrow. Depends on how things are going. She is up and doing things but tires easily from the "bug" she had last week.

Did you get any of that nasty weather Jean. Can't believe the size of some of the limbs the wind brought down...huge.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 22, 2012
11:16 AM

Post #9364747

Im 6 batches away from having my doughs made. Will put them in the fridge and get all the dough making stuff off the counter so when I bake I have plenty of room to spread out. Between rolling in powdered sugar, glazing that drips, etc. I need some open space I can just mess up then wipe down. Im about to test a 2 new lemon cookies that I can use my lemons with. That just leaves me 72 navels to peel for ambrosia this afternoon and about 6 lbs of sugared pecans and I will be done with all that. Will bake the cookies tomorrow, and make another batch of the lemon, if they turn out. ahhh theres the buzzer. ttys ;)
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 22, 2012
11:42 AM

Post #9364774

Lemon recipes???? I could use some of those. I'm going to juice the pile of Myers I have sitting here.

Weather here wasn't too bad. Must have calmed down going across the state. Just a nice breeze today with lots of sun. Warmer than yesterday.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

December 22, 2012
11:47 AM

Post #9364778

31* with splurries. Bitter wind and mostly cloudy. You would be hunkered down somewhere Jean if you were up here now!!!!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 30, 2012
4:31 AM

Post #9370319

Worked on the triangle quilt on & off the last couple days. 12 blocks completed & joined. Then had to stop & make more triangles. Need 300 - 2 1/2" HST and 30- 8 1/2" (made of 6 strips). Totally scrappy except for 2 corner HST that form cornerstones when the blocks are joined. Definitely not the "quick" project I thought it was going to be but a good way to get rid of scraps.

I had hoped to get it done "this year" but am happy enuf that all the HST have been made.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 30, 2012
5:45 AM

Post #9370351

Here is hoping you can share a photo of what you have accomplished so far..

Project when I get home is to rid myself of scraps..get ahead of the game, maybe placemats for Christmas.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 30, 2012
5:55 AM

Post #9370359

Maybe in Summer we need to start a Holiday project thread to get us moving along. I always have good intentions then it's Dec & not enuf time to get anything made.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 30, 2012
6:17 AM

Post #9370380

Ive already had a talk with myself about that very subject. I dont garden, except maintainence, most of June thru september. Its to hot and to many mosquitos. I need to make hay while the sun shines, cuz come late october, November, Im right back outside. I saw so many things I wish I had of done. I might even get them started now, if it stays chilly like this. Also, the utility company uses dec. to feb. to base our base wastewater charge on, so I dont like to run any water I dont need to during that time.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 30, 2012
9:18 AM

Post #9370515

The pattern is "Intertwined" by Cozy Quilt Designs using the strip tube method.: http://www.cozyquilt.com/Aspx/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=2681
There is also a u-tube video.

I can take the heat till late July but do avoid being outside in the mid-day. Great time to work on Holiday projects & think "cool
thoughts!!!1

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

December 30, 2012
3:45 PM

Post #9370806

Traditionally I have made "next years" Christmas ornaments in Jan & Feb when I am motivated. Even THAT is not happening this year! Too much work on the studio that will take what time I have.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 3, 2013
7:20 AM

Post #9373994

Okay, new question from the newbie, What are you referring to when you say

UFO on quilting and sewing?

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 3, 2013
7:25 AM

Post #9374004

UFO... un finished objects.
PHD... projects half done.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 3, 2013
7:40 AM

Post #9374022

LOL I thought it was something along that line. I like the PHD one. I have loads of those. I even have some
PAMD projects all most done. I get right up to finishing something and then stop. I wonder why that is. I have never read the last Harry Potter book because I didn't want it to end. Haven't read the last Twilight book for the same reason nor have I seen the last movie of either.
I have so many CS PAMD that it isn't even funny. I am beginning to think its a psychological thing.
Heck I always knew I was a little psycho so this shouldn't come as a surprise. heheh

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 3, 2013
7:51 AM

Post #9374036

You need to make a list of your PAMD, pick a day, and say I WILL GET THIS ONE DONE TODAY!!! Before you know it, you will have nothing left, and then you can start new projects!
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 3, 2013
8:08 AM

Post #9374065

Good Idea Linda but I best wait till I finish this quilt or I will have another PHD. heheh
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 3, 2013
12:09 PM

Post #9374299

I try to finish 1 UFO before every major holiday - Memorial Day, 4 July, etc. So far I'm batting 50%. I did make the 2012 year end deadline.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 3, 2013
12:30 PM

Post #9374317

That's a good plan Jean. With my moratorium on spending money on fabric maybe I'll get more projects COMPLETED!! Wouldn't THAT be nice?? LOL

I am inclined to think I would "not quite finish" a project because once it's "done" it's ready to be "judged" and if it's not perfect than it will never have a chance to be better than it is. I'm probably not expressing that in a way that is easy to understand but it's the best I can do. "It's done". vs "Not quite done" "Yes, I do intend to sand, sew. paint (etc), it would look better, it will look better... Can anybody relate? Lately my new mantra is DONE is better than perfect and NEVER done!!! "Perfect is the enemy of done/good enough!"
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 3, 2013
1:15 PM

Post #9374355

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/quotes.asp

Found these quotes when I was filling out my journal. Even tho these are on a diet page, some are very relevant to this subject.

This message was edited Jan 3, 2013 4:16 PM
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 3, 2013
2:05 PM

Post #9374411

I have a pile of unquilted tops for that very reason - I want them quilted a certain way & not sure I can pill it off w/out driving myself insane in the process!!!! But I do plan on getting the majority of them quilted over the winter.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 3, 2013
4:23 PM

Post #9374536

ohh I know EXACTLY what you are talking about Doc. add to that, the love of a new challenge...

I love the challenge of new patterns / designs...but once I have them figured out...dont want to finish, I want to start something else new!!!

they do eventually get finished, as that becomes a new challenge!!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 3, 2013
4:33 PM

Post #9374544

I managed in my sewing to complete all my projects except for the double sized Christmas tree and presents 'quilt'! Hopefully in the next few weeks I'll finish them and start some of the patterns I just bought..have till the snow melts before sewing machines are put away and I get back to stained glass.

Had meal delivered to hotel room, now comfy in bed with quilting magazines around me. Lol

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 3, 2013
6:22 PM

Post #9374660

OH man Betty, it does NOT get better than that unless it includes a Cabana boy!! LOL
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 4, 2013
6:01 AM

Post #9374981

I have 5 projects that I have to complete by next Christmas

I have gathered all the hand prints of everyone in my daughters families including spouses and I am
creating a Family Christmas Tree. These will have all the hand prints appliqued onto a wall hanging and the fingers
will be the branches with the larger hand prints towards the bottom and the smallest reaching up at the top. You have to use your imagination as this is all in my mind and not down on paper. I have to make 5 of them so that each daughter has one of their own to hang up with the whole family tree.
3 daughters but one granddaughter that is on her own with her significant other and one for me.
I also had everyone sign there name and those names will be stitched onto ornaments that they can hang on the tree trying to match up hand prints.
Sounds cool doesn't it. Its all in my mind so I hope I can get it onto the wall hangings.
So I guess I best get busy huh?
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 4, 2013
6:07 AM

Post #9374989

On a related tangent, have any of you seen the "thumbprint" trees that I hear are now the thing at weddings? Places sell the tree outline (think tree in middle of winter) and ink pads. Deal is each guest adds a thumbprint leaf to the tree and the couple keeps this as a memory of the reception.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 4, 2013
6:12 AM

Post #9374996

That is a cool idea too. Keeps folks on their toes if they don't want their finger prints out there, heheheh

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 4, 2013
6:26 AM

Post #9375007

That is a cool idea! I found a link.

http://createdbyspark.com/372/free-wedding-thumbprint-tree-style-guest-book/

Happy Birthday Jean! Hope you have a great day!

Thumbnail by taters55

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 4, 2013
7:31 AM

Post #9375069

WOW another cake. Glad these have 0 calories!!!!!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 4, 2013
8:27 AM

Post #9375113

Happy Birthday, Jean!

The second pillow sham is now a FO. Also finished the second quilt quarter section. I'll post photos of the sham on the main thread. Left the quilt section in Atlanta. Will post that when I get back.

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 4, 2013
9:09 AM

Post #9375169

Laurel - I just can't keep up with all the directions you are going!!!!

Catbird423

Catbird423
Odenton, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 4, 2013
10:50 AM

Post #9375278

Happy Birthday Jean! I hope you enjoy your day.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 4, 2013
11:27 AM

Post #9375318

A very happy birthday to you Jean. Hope its a great year for you.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 4, 2013
1:24 PM

Post #9375440

Jean, did you mean quilting directions or house directions? lol

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 5, 2013
4:06 PM

Post #9376463

Those projects sound as though you have to have your thinking cap on..sure hooe end result is posted.

Got home this afternoon, almost all organized..taking down the tree and am doing the de-Christmas work, promised no sewing or taking that new machine out of the box until its done. In between clean-up I sit and ohh/ahh at the new patterns that were in my mailbox that I had ordered, look at the pile of fabrics I picked up last two weeks and today...really tempting to get into a project but not until everything is shining and dust free. Lol

Left over projects to do from 2012

1. Present quilt

2. Christmas tree/pressie quilt

3. Appliqué Christmas tree with red cardinals

Wonder if these will remain unfinished till once again the Christmas holidays is upon us

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 5, 2013
4:25 PM

Post #9376497

Nah, I have faith in YOU Betty!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

January 5, 2013
4:29 PM

Post #9376501

Hah! Knowing you Betty, you'll have them done by Tuesday, Wednesday tops. LOL

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 5, 2013
4:32 PM

Post #9376505

Now if we had a "sewing bee" here I might get them done..

Don't you find when you buy new magazines/patterns all your intentions go for not??
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 6, 2013
5:00 AM

Post #9376906

I'm actually starting a Christmas quilt. I need to make some sample blocks for the guild mtg Thur and the Christmas fabric was still sitting there. Have plenty so decided why not just use this?!?!?!?!?! Maybe i can have it done by Christmas!!!!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 6, 2013
5:30 AM

Post #9376919

Copied this from facebook!

It starts out as a WHIMM (Work Hidden in My Mind.)

After a FART (Fabric Acquisition Road Trip) and some SEX (Stash Enhancing eXperience), it becomes a PIG (Project In a Grocery Sack).

The PIG becomes a HSY (pronounced hissy ... meaning Haven't Started Yet).

Once you have a HSY-fit and begin work, it becomes a WIP (Work in Progress).

The WIP becomes a UFO (UnFulfilled Opportunity...I like that better than Unfinished Object which sounds so negative) as soon as some other project grabs and holds your attention more than the project that was a WIP.

Author Unknown

jumper2

jumper2
Huron, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 6, 2013
5:47 AM

Post #9376936

lol!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 6, 2013
6:16 AM

Post #9376957

My mind is sooooo FULL of whims!!!!!!!!!!!
And my sewing room is sooooo FULL of wips!!!!!!
Must make a new UFO list now!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 6, 2013
6:55 AM

Post #9376999

Too cute

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 6, 2013
8:08 AM

Post #9377054

that is wonderful , would be great written on a little plaque to hang in sewing room. or on sewing room door.

I want a sign that says " don't touch it, don't move it ! My mind works better when the fabric is everywhere. "
I have found that when I see many pieces of fabric, my creativeness ( is that a word ) works much better...and every time I clean up too much, I can't find things !!! Sew my sewing room stays pretty messy, somewhat organized, yet still messy !!!

I got a nifty sign when we went on vacation, it says never underestimate the power of a woman with a sewing machine I thought that was fantastic. I usually do not do the souvenir thing, but I had to have that sign !!!
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 6, 2013
8:12 AM

Post #9377061

That is just beyond great/true. Sure fits me to a T.

Love yours too Thunder, and those monkeys you posted so I could see them. They have a personality, and that is a gift you have.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 6, 2013
10:13 AM

Post #9377175

OHhhhhhhhhh I gotta make me sign like that!!! Yes inddeedy! Hang it on the outside of sewing room door. It might serve as a gentle reminder it's MY sewing room!!!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 6, 2013
11:00 AM

Post #9377207

Anyone have an embroidery machine?

Thumbnail by taters55

abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 6, 2013
12:31 PM

Post #9377308

Love the post LK, definitely need that for a sign on my area also.

Belated Happy New Year everyone. Finally went to see my mom and returned home on Thursday. She is slowly forgetting things and so grumpy! Then again, if I were in her condition I might be grumpy too...shucks I am grumpy!! Leg still presenting some problems but learning to get around a little better.

Hopefully in this restricted time I am having, I will manage to get some things finished...sure do need to.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 6, 2013
12:40 PM

Post #9377315

Yea, so glad your back!!
Glad you got to see her and check in. At least if she is grumpy, she forgets what she was grumpy about. I dont mean that to be funny either. I know my Mom will call and get me all upset, next time she calls she doesnt even remember what big problem she called about before. Im learning the in one ear and out the other tact. Some things, she is never going to forget, she just forgets that i have to hear about it every time I talk to her. Hopefully she is not in any pain.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 6, 2013
1:36 PM

Post #9377390

Glad to hear your back gome Marion. When do you go for knee surgery?
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 6, 2013
2:29 PM

Post #9377419

It is good to be home...my sister air mattress just isn't comfortable. Before I go further, Jean, belated Happy birthday...hope it was all you wanted and more. Quilts you are going to finish in the winter? LOL, winter will start to be over the end of February so you had better get in a hurry.

Pam, I understand what you were saying. Grumpy as in she wants my sister to fight all kinds of battles for her but they are battles of her making. Nothing that we can do for her...sad though. Sadly she is getting more and more like my grandmother and alienating everyone around her as far as staff goes. Her memory is definitely starting to get foggy and oh the stories she makes up about what happens there. Could be a continuation of Peyton Place at the Nursing Home. :-)

LK, I am not sure if there will be surgery or not for my knee. I don't see the Ortho doc until the 24th and then I will know more about what the plan will entail. My sister and Kim did insist I use mom's transport chair going from the parking lot to mom's room. Really long walk...must admit it did help but yikes it was uncomfortable!!

Oh well, what will be will be.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 6, 2013
2:33 PM

Post #9377421

Glad to hear you got to go see Mom Marion. The mind is such an amazing thing isn't it? It lets us remember what we want but lets us forget what we don't. Of course when it is us that is forgotten, it is hard to understand. Hope her good days are more often than the bad. How is your sister doing?
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 6, 2013
2:42 PM

Post #9377429

Thanks Barb. My sister is very disturbed by the memory going and the stories that mom is telling. In some ways it is good as she doesn't realize what is actually going on with her and in other ways it is just plain bad. Did learn that some time in the past months the staff fractured mom foot. We don't know who is/was responsible but it is very twisted. It is so sad the lack of concern that seems to be prevalent with some of the CNAs in the nursing homes. Sad part, mom couldn't remember Kim's name and who she was a couple of times. Thankfully Kim understands what is happening and was really good dealing with her grandmother.

How is Norm doing?

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 6, 2013
2:44 PM

Post #9377431

Marion, time to look after you, am sure your mom is getting best care possible.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 6, 2013
2:48 PM

Post #9377432

Yikes, our post crossed, so sorry to hear your mom isn't having the best of care..a worry for you for sure.

My mom who has done crochet since a teen cannot remember how to do a granny square..I helped her last month, she has called twice to go through the steps this afternoon..having one heck of a time..sad isn't it..a worry as our turn is coming
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 6, 2013
4:05 PM

Post #9377535

Its sad when they forget, what tears me up is when they know they should know, and cant recall. Thank goodness my MIL is to the point her memory is shot, but she doesnt know it anymore and is happy as a clam. So odd how some things come right to her, and others are long gone.

This message was edited Jan 6, 2013 7:48 PM

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 6, 2013
4:20 PM

Post #9377554

Norm is doing well Marion. He still has a bit of a problem where they had to put a drain in for his last surgery. It is healing but oh so slowly. Think maybe chemo has something to do with it. He still gets very tired but he is working full time still. He is just lucky in that he has a job that he is not tied to a time clock. For the most part, as long as his work is done, the company leaves him alone...
One thing my daughter and I have noticed though. His demeanor has changed a bit. He will sometimes come out with some hurtful remarks and he thinks he is being funny. I've had to speak up several times and this weekend I had a long conversation with him about it. He doesn't mean to sound or be that way but that is how he comes acrosss sometimes. I had to explain that reality is nothing and that perception is everything. If people think you are being a smarta-- that is what they think whether you are or not... So we will work on that now. When we think of all the problems both mental and physical that he could encounter, this is just a bump in the road. The good thing is we can talk about things like this without it being a battle of any kind. We are both so lucky in our relationship...

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 6, 2013
4:46 PM

Post #9377575

Barb you are VERY lucky, and so might I add is Norm. You are both very blessed and I'm sure it's been thru the efforts of BOTH of you!! (Not to mention making some good initial choices in who to marry!!)

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 6, 2013
5:09 PM

Post #9377611

It's hard to think of Norm in any fashion other than kind and amusing!

Meds and the trauma of what he is going through these oast years has to show in some manner..I experienced a bit of same with Darlene at Christmas...just not her nature but the despair of what she went through this past year had to be expressed outwardly, was hard, but it takes someone by their side who realizes and can set aside harsh words. They are only huma, better to lash out at times than to keep it inside. Thank the Lord Norm has you and your family by his side.

Sending hugs along with the prayers

cheriffic

cheriffic
(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

January 6, 2013
9:15 PM

Post #9377736

It is so good you can talk things out I have that too (second time around) and it is lucky and very rare.
As always prayers to all of us going through such tough times in life.
Cher
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 7, 2013
7:55 AM

Post #9377988

Yes, Barb, you are indeed lucky that you and Norm can talk things out.

Mom lashes out mostly at my sister. She would barely talk when I was with her then the last day she insisted I stay longer so we could visit. Sadly I couldn't get her to talk with me. I have a sad feeling she couldn't remember much about either of my children so just went with the "flow" so to speak. My sister, on the other hand, has always had a tendency to be very harsh and a smart---!! In her mind she has given up all of her life to care for dad and now mom. The fact 2 marriages broke up because she refused to leave with her husbands never are considered. It has taken many years to learn to "tune" her out but at last I can do that. Life is a series of choices and I refuse to accept blame for choices she has made. Sorry didn't mean to "rant".

So looking forward to getting some quilting done now that I am restricted with my activities.

Have a wonderful day!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 7, 2013
9:19 AM

Post #9378086

Marion, Yes, it really sounds like Sister wants YOU to move to take care of HER, not Mom. But, that's just a guess, may be WAY off the mark since all I have to go on what you have said, your perception. SURE lots of evidence for that though!!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 7, 2013
12:05 PM

Post #9378252

Pat, I don't think you are off the mark, I have heard the same from one of the nurses at the facility where mom is now. In fact, she stopped me a while back and told me she was worried about her. Will do what I can but not sell and move back...left 53 years ago and I am happy here! :-)
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 7, 2013
12:17 PM

Post #9378272

And there is where you should stay!!! Well, except some visits back to the ole homestead..G'ville ;-)
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 7, 2013
12:23 PM

Post #9378286

LOL, oh Pam, I will shock you one of these days and come down. Just will not be getting involved with the festival anymore...been there, done that and quit!!! Lately I have been so tired when we passed through that we haven't stopped. Usually like to have a meal at La Fiesta either going down or coming home. Love their food! Hummm, might have to arrange a lunch date and let you know..but after I find out what they will be doing with this dumb knee.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 7, 2013
12:55 PM

Post #9378314

Let me know & I'll come over for lunch!!!!
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 7, 2013
1:07 PM

Post #9378338

Jean, you just come on over anytime, I know you dont eat beef, but a nice lunch at BJ's is always a good excuse for me to have a california 'burger'. They have lots of healthy yummy stuff...well if you ask me. OOO darn, missed Marion, guess Ill just have to go to La Fiesta with her as well for some enchiladas when she can make it down. AHHH then your both back at the same time, maybe some sicillian scampi from Olive Garden, road kill at texas road house with some bubba bread ( o lord take me now). AHHHH so you want turkey, a turkey mufflata from Jasons deli..DELISH ( well if you like olives)
OK, so my grown children have just about sent me over the edge today, you can see where my mind goes when I stress. Luckily, my body is headed over for some tai chi at 5:40, not out to eat. :-).
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 8, 2013
9:45 AM

Post #9379088

Sounds like a plan to me. Let me check what is happening around here, the availability of my driver :-) and we will do lunch soon. I have heard about BJ but haven't been there so far. Hummm, think I might need to try it soon.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 8, 2013
10:20 AM

Post #9379130

I saw the girl who bought the skeleton bag at work the other day, she said her daughter told her it was the best Christmas gift she EVER got !!! that sure made me feel good !!! she told me the daughter carried it around all day, did not want to put it down.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 8, 2013
11:46 AM

Post #9379191

Don't you love it when your efforts are so enjoyed!!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 8, 2013
12:49 PM

Post #9379256

Hehehe... my nephew wanted a RATTLESNAKE for Christmas once. He had to settle for an eight foot purple velvet stuffed snake. He LOVED that thing! (I was up 1/2 the night Christmas Eve stuffing that thing! That was when I KNEW I had to get my gifts done SOONER!! LOL)

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 8, 2013
3:16 PM

Post #9379382

Glad to hear she enjoyed that bag Thunder! Makes it worth the effort.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 9, 2013
5:05 AM

Post #9379804

That's the best present to me - to know someone really liked something I made for them...
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 9, 2013
6:23 AM

Post #9379856

Im guessing others got this, it is the cutest little apron, free pattern. Ive never made nor worn an apron, but had to post it.
If I thought I could actually make it, I would, and join the valentine swap, send some cookies along with it. More fun to think about it, Im sure it would just be another thing in a drawer, just what we dont need.

http://www.pages01.net/fabriccom/HPDLSweetNothingsRetroApron?cm_mmc=Email-_-1/9/13 Retro Apron-_-hp download-_-banner&spMailingID=4647786&spUserID=MTkyODIyNTIzMzcS1&spJobID=138307090&spReportId=MTM4MzA3MDkwS0

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 9, 2013
6:24 AM

Post #9379857

This was on facebook this morning. Some are really cute!

Quilting acronyms ... who knew there were so many!!!

BOM = Block of the Month
COW = Cream o White
DSM = Domestic Sewing Machine
EPP = English Paper Piecing
F8 = Fat Eighth
FART = Fabric Acquisition Road Trip
FOB = Fear of Binding
FQ = Fat Quarter
HST = Half-Square Triangle
LA = Longarmer
LAQ= Long Arm Quilter
LQS = Local Quilt Shop
MAQ = Mid-Arm Quilter
OBW = One Block Wonder
PFP = Paper Foundation Piecing
PP = Paper Piecing
PhD = Projects half Done
PIB = Project in Bin
PIGS = Project in Grocery Sack
PIP = Projects In Progress
POOP = Project Out of Production
PIGS = Projects in Grocery Sacks
PP = Paper Piecing
QAYG = Quilt As You Go
QST = Quarter Square Triangle
RR = Round Robin
SABLE = Stash Accumulation Beyond Life Expectancy
SEX = Stash Enhancing eXperience (or eXcursion)
SID = Stitch In the Ditch
SnW = Stack and Whack = pile up and cut all at once block pattern
Squishy=Envelopes filled with swap fabric or gifts sent/received in the mail
STASH = Special Treasures All Secretly Hidden
TGIF = Thank God It's Finished!
TOT = Tone-on-Tone
UFO = UnFinshed Object
VIP = Very Important Project
WHIMM = Works Hidden In My Mind
WIP = Work In Progress
WISP = Work In Slow Progress
WWIT = What Was I Thinking
WOF = Width of Fabric
WOMBAT = Waste of Money, Batting, and Time
WOW = White On White
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 9, 2013
6:53 AM

Post #9379886

Will there be a test?????

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 9, 2013
7:32 AM

Post #9379919

WOMBAT is my favorite!! Although I admit I have SEVERAL of the other items too.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 9, 2013
9:08 AM

Post #9380012

Those are good LK.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 9, 2013
9:27 AM

Post #9380034

Well this house has lots of POOP.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 9, 2013
12:10 PM

Post #9380192

I fear the SABLE legacy from my mother will become my daughter's. I don't have the heart to get rid of it but I am talking about hundreds of yards of fabric. I can no longer get in to my walk in storage room without removing milk crates full first. The shelves are full, the cabinets are full and there are boxes stacked four feet high. The space used to be half crafts and half kitchen storage but there is no room for kitchen storage anymore. Most of it is not good for quilting.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 9, 2013
3:47 PM

Post #9380393

That's a shame!!! I know, there are other fabrics besides those used for quilting. I just don't seem to see them anymore!!!!
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 9, 2013
3:51 PM

Post #9380398

Hang on to them, crazy quilts will hopefully make a comeback, you can use all kinds of things in them.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 9, 2013
4:39 PM

Post #9380456

Much of the fabric is poly blend stuff that looks like linen (but not) or stretchy knits. Some others are cool retro prints. There are a few I'd love to post. You might get a kick out of their antiquity. :) She definitely cornered the polyester chambray market. It's fair if you are cracking up reading this. I'll understand. She bought lots of fabric to make table cloths and napkins. We had formal dinners with many guests at least weekly. We never had a paper napkin at the table. The table was set with linen and apparently fake linen, every night along with French or American table service. Both parents were food professionals. I didn't know you could actually eat on a table without a cloth until adulthood. So, who wants a dress or quilt made from table cloth fabric? lol

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 9, 2013
4:50 PM

Post #9380464

I would love to see some of that funky fabric!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 9, 2013
4:54 PM

Post #9380471

The coloring book tutorial is now posted!!!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 9, 2013
4:58 PM

Post #9380476

Looks fantastic! Thanks for doing it.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 9, 2013
5:13 PM

Post #9380487

You're welcome...
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 9, 2013
6:14 PM

Post #9380539

Those blend fabrics work great for making rugs - either crochet or woven.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 9, 2013
7:14 PM

Post #9380580

Laurel, you might want to post some pictures and info over on the "endless swap thread". Maybe you can find some eager sewer just itching to trade you fabric for something you WANT!! Truthfully, I'd sort thru and get rid of what does not "call your name". What you don't love, it sounds like it's a burden not joy.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 10, 2013
5:05 AM

Post #9380747

New quilting catalog I just saw has patterns for making a quilt out of table cloths...either connecting threads or keepsake quilting.??

stretchy knits?? sorta like t shirts...they make great quilts too !!!

Just trying to help !! LOL

you may find some one to swap with, or some one willing to pay for postage on some of those fabrics...should post on the thread
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1287765/#new
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 10, 2013
5:15 AM

Post #9380752

The t-shirt like fabric makes a nice quilt backing. Just have to be careful to not stretch it when using it.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 10, 2013
8:53 AM

Post #9380932

You folks are absolutely horrible (and I mean that in the nicest way). Your answer for everything is "Make a quilt!". To much fabric? Make a quilt! Too little; buy more fabric and make a quilt! Rainy day; make a quilt! Too hot or cold; make a quilt! Don't like the fabric; trade it so you can make a quilt. I GET THE MESSAGE! I'm supposed to be making more quilts. lol

I will get rid of most of this at some point but in truth it is like giving away memories of my mom. I need to take it all in before letting it go. Trouble is her fabric accumulation issue had become mine. At least I can say I have not bought any fabric in the past year except the backing for DD's wedding quilt and a few yards on my trip to Lancaster and home. Well, here are some Mom prints I plan to keep. The first is a poly blend of some kind, the second is so deeply textured it looks like brocade but is all poly. I think the third is a rayon blend and the fourth and fifth are stretch velours.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 10, 2013
9:00 AM

Post #9380940

While digging through the fabric and other storage baskets in the quilt closet I ran across another UFO. Curses! This was a changing pad I started right before DD was born. That is a few weeks shy of twenty seven years ago. She was six weeks early so it didn't get finished. Then when I went for my last post partum check I learned what the term Irish twins means.

If I finish the toes on one hand and both feet it will be done.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel      

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

January 10, 2013
9:05 AM

Post #9380947

Your Mama sure loved pretty bright colors. Quilts and throws don't have to be cotton. Some of those would work up beautifully and be treasured for years to come.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 10, 2013
9:32 AM

Post #9380970

OOO my, love that 3rd fabric, I see Vera Bradley bag written all over it.

I just started back at crocchet, I found a box of squares that I had started when pregnant with my second daughter. That was 1984. I dont have the coming early excuse, or thank heavens, Irish twins. I bet it was cute raising two so close in age, well at least most of the time ;-)

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 10, 2013
9:42 AM

Post #9380985

love the fabrics as well, perhaps if you are still enjoying them and have memories of your mom they are worth keeping and taking out from time to time.

I had my two boys in 1969

Greg - New Years Day and Jeff December 8th..not a joy to raise two so close together, mega competing going on. Don't think until Roger passed away that they became close.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

January 10, 2013
12:56 PM

Post #9381140

I had my fourth when the first was 4 1/2 and I was 22. The last two are 1 year and 2 days apart. It was pretty wild for a while but they all stayed close.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 10, 2013
1:20 PM

Post #9381164

Our first is eleven years older than the last two and it's the same marriage. The last two are nine and a half months apart. lol The youngest was on multiple monitors the first few years. A few years later we undertook a massive home remodeling project. I acted as general contractor. I kept losing babies in walls and down HVAC ducting while dealing with a sullen thirteen year old. Aside from the daily kid and construction crises one of the carpenters sawed off part of his hand and a week later a roofer fell two stories into the living room when he backed up through a skylight hole. He hit a staircase on the way down. SO was home maybe ten days a month. I had lots of help but was in charge of everyone.

I was looking through a box of youngest son's baby clothes and hospital mementos while DD was here last week. He finally fit into Cabbage Patch preemies when he was three months old. They are much smaller than regular baby preemie clothes. So tiny but he sure was well dressed!

Twenty two with four little ones? Lordy!

Vera Bradley type bag sounds like a good plan.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 10, 2013
8:34 PM

Post #9381644

I had a skirt made out of that vera bradley fabric, My sister made it, she wore it a few times, then gave it to me...
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 11, 2013
5:43 AM

Post #9381805

From the shape of the piece it looks like it was a skirt.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 2, 2013
7:43 PM

Post #9406481

I could make headway on these "UFOs" if I'd just NOT do ANY additiional projects! Like the new aprons I made (they were not on the UFOs).

The first picture is of an apron for my DSIL and a close up the bib portion showing the pieced front. The 3rd picture is of the apron I appliqued a "kiss the cook" to purchased black apron for my oldest stepdaughter for Valentine's day.

Thumbnail by psychw2   Thumbnail by psychw2   Thumbnail by psychw2      

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 2, 2013
8:14 PM

Post #9406513

Nice job Pat, love those aprons!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 3, 2013
3:04 AM

Post #9406608

Love the apron..am sure she will oooh and aahh when she opens it off.

All caught up on my UFO's..have a bin of projects that I just made that needs purchasing od batting, backing and binding..do these count?
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 3, 2013
3:56 AM

Post #9406628

OK, Betty is officially "out of the club"!!!!! Caught up on UFOs. How is that even possible?!?!?!?!?!!? IF the shipping were not so expensive, I'd send you a box of mine to finish up!!!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 3, 2013
5:15 AM

Post #9406666

Hanging my head, tears in my eyes, worked soooo hard to get everything done only to be kicked out..sad day indeed

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 3, 2013
5:33 AM

Post #9406679

Oh Betty!!! Dont' think of it as "Kicked Out" think of it as PROMOTED!!! NO longer in need of being SHAMED into completing projects!

We envy you, we ASPIRE to BE YOU!!! We WANT you to do OUR projects (Like Jean said!)

Let's face it, we've always know Betty is not normal but SUPERwoman or something. Or maybe her trick is a whole herd of little elves at her beck and call after she goes to bed or something. Let's face, we ALL know she' got "something" we don't have! I can't believe all she gets done. *sigh* My hero!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 3, 2013
8:00 AM

Post #9406804

Sorry ladies, but Betty is NOT done until all those tops are batted. backed and quilted and the bindings sewn!!!! Until then they are still UnFinished Objects!!!!
I'm not letting her off that easy!!!! I think she needs to stay here with us permanently cause we are NEVER done!!!!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 3, 2013
8:25 AM

Post #9406838

Very true that WE are never done!! Darn her, she justs sets the bar too high. How many of us combined before we could keep up with her productivity?

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 3, 2013
8:36 AM

Post #9406850

Yes, Betty sure does have great productivity but how many of you have a job where you sew to your hearts content most of the time?????? I, myself, am more impressed with her creativity than her productivity. She has a phenomenal eye for color that simply amazes me...

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 3, 2013
9:55 AM

Post #9406944

YES, she turns me GREEN with envy on ALL fronts!!! Her creativity is AWESOME. ABout now she is probably rolling her eyes but it is all true!!

Betty, what /how to you garden? What are your flower loves? This year I am psyched... I just know THIS Year I'm going to make progress in the garden!!

Anybody got Pink Poppy seeds they can share? I'm thinking that might be a good way to add color QUICKLY since I have added all this bare ground, quick before any bark or cover get put down. I've always wanted a big show of Pink Poppies. Anybody got a seed online place they would recommend??

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 3, 2013
9:59 AM

Post #9406953

Thank you, but sometimes I can be overwhelming..feel like the time is now..

Can you believe I'm sitting and cooking?

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 3, 2013
10:17 AM

Post #9406972

Pat, I may have some poppy seeds, let me look, and I will get back to you. LOL, almost typed poopy seeds!
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 3, 2013
11:26 AM

Post #9407061

park seed has all seeds 20% off today for superbowl...coupon code SUPERSOW

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 3, 2013
3:01 PM

Post #9407288

Thanks Pam and Linda... I don't need Poopy seeds, my yard seems to spontaneous "grow" some of that!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 4, 2013
3:53 AM

Post #9507524

Took me awhile to find this OLD thread...

Yesterday I emptied a box I thought just had scraps of fabric in it. Here it had the left over blocks from the king quilt I made 4 years ago - the sq in a sq in a sq. Not only were there blocks but the setting triangles were attached and a couple rows already put together.
Well it rained all day so I put together a top that ended up being 67" sq. Not bad from "left overs".

My Guild is doing a "finish your UFOs" challenge. Can register 17 and have 1 year to complete them. I could have filled out 2 lists, and the 1 I did yesterday, I didn't even knew I had so it's not on that list. We are doing monthly, qtr, and GRAND prizes!!!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 4, 2013
4:14 AM

Post #9507529

How exciting is that!! Now where is the photo so we can all get motivated..
Amazing what treasure one can make out of a bag of scraps..I've been using mine up but the more tops that come out of them the more I have left over, not quite sure how that happens. Lol

Sounds to me like that is one fantastic group you are involved in.

Look forward to hearing more about your UFO adventures with this club..

Sunshine day so won't likely be sew'ing..weeds are calling..ooohh forgot I do get breaks so maybe I can quilt a bit of my black/white quilt that is on the frame..

Always multi tasking so I imagine that's why we have ufo's
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 4, 2013
4:25 AM

Post #9507538

Well the rain continues here. Storms to come this PM. But we only had 3" noon yesterday - this AM.
I won't be able to do much yardwork till mid-next week - when it's dry enough to get into the garden.

I see JoAnn's has the high garden boots on sale starting tmrw. I have the ankle ones but am thinking I need the high ones also. Almost lost a short one in the mud yesterday!!!!

gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 4, 2013
5:26 AM

Post #9507592

Hopefully the ground will dry out some before hurricaine season. They say its going to be a bad year. You need somewhere for all the water to go, except in your house or studio. Home owners insurance wont touch flood damage. Its sur good for the yard tho right now.

You really did find a great group, and Im sure they are glad you found them, too.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 4, 2013
5:30 AM

Post #9507596

We carry flood insurance. Luckily the house is 2 steps up from ground level. And so far the Studio is fine. Last year we had 2X this amt of rain in 3 days & it all managed to soak in. Just need the rain to stop for a few hours.
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 4, 2013
11:34 AM

Post #9507942

Nice, but cloudy, no rain yet today here in Cocoa Beach . Really hate to leave just as the weather is warming up. My plants are all potted and boxed up to travel. Have some nice Amaryllis I'm donating to the WKBG. I've never seen them bloom as they bloom after we leave. What fun is that? Tomorrow we'll be driving and overnight in Tennessee. Arrive in Owensboro sometime Monday afternoon. Probably won't get back on the computer until we're at Rob's and my grandson Jon can get me connected up while visiting.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 4, 2013
12:32 PM

Post #9507978

Well drive carefully!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 4, 2013
1:07 PM

Post #9507994

Safe travels...we"ve got sunshine planned for your arrival!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

May 4, 2013
1:54 PM

Post #9508056

I worked outside this morning but I have to get some studying done and I'd like to get a LITTLE sewing done!!! I have a baby quilt top that is done but it's going to be backed with minky and got all scared off... maybe today is the day I get brave!!

PICTURES... we need PICTURES!!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 4, 2013
2:32 PM

Post #9508095

You are brave Pat to line it with minky..any special reason for doing so?

Pictures of??

I've been kind to myself, work in the yard then rest for equal amount of time..who wanted all these gardens anyway? Must have been me when i was younger!

do want to quilt for a bit but the couch feels mighty comfortable.

This message was edited May 4, 2013 6:41 PM

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 4, 2013
3:59 PM

Post #9508169

Drive carefully Mitsy!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

May 4, 2013
4:31 PM

Post #9508232

Jean got a UFO going and I want to SEE pictures!!!

I had a inline hose timer fail and come off... I do not know how long the water was running but it flooded a small flower bed. I had JUST moved in a stepping stone this morning and when I stepped into the flower bed on the "ground" I sunk 6 inches in! Completely sunk in well over my shoe top & the hem of my jeans! I'm lucky I didn't leave my shoe behind in that muck when I pulled my foot out. I'm waiting for it to "dry" a little and then I'll see what I can do.

Betty you typed "You are have Pat to line with minty..special reason for doing so?" I know there is a typo or two here but I could decipher it. Explain what you meant?

I'll start a new thread for this after the next post or two.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 4, 2013
4:42 PM

Post #9508248

Thanks Pat, corrected it..these iPads have a mind of their own..
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 4, 2013
6:18 PM

Post #9508342

Drive safely Mittsy and we will be eagerly awaiting to hear of your arrival. Rain here continues...the slow steady drizzle type. Limbs that are saturated and hanging down having started to break now creating another mess to be cleaned up. Thankfully the cool temps continue so don't feel so about a few more days with out our A/C.

Had planned to go to Joannes today but with the rain, parent and friends in town for graduations at the 2 universities it was just to much!! Will try another day under better weather conditions and less traffic. Didn't really need anything but was having "withdrawal" pains.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

May 4, 2013
8:25 PM

Post #9508518

I'm backing it with Minky because that is what my niece asked for. I wish I had either talked her out of it, or gotten braver sooner!! LOl

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 4, 2013
8:35 PM

Post #9508525

Doc, I did a baby quilt with minky. I started stitching in the center, and worked my way out 4 times to make lines across and up and down center of quilt...just go slow...definitely NOT something to rush with. You CAN do it !!!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 5, 2013
4:56 AM

Post #9508682

Could you starch it to give it more gliding?

Thunder, been missing you, what are you up to? When do you head north?

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

May 5, 2013
5:08 AM

Post #9508691

Not he problem with Minky ,Betty. The darn stuff is slippery and stretchy, seems to have a mind of its own.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 5, 2013
5:41 AM

Post #9508727

Wonder if a walking foot would help with the minky!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 5, 2013
6:37 AM

Post #9508803

One trick for using minky on a reg sewing machine is to stitch down in the non-stretch direction 1st.
using a long arm have to load it with the non-stretch sides pinned to the leaders.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 5, 2013
6:50 AM

Post #9508811

You all talked me out of it. Lol
Was enjoying pulling weeds but the black flies are heavy at this time of day so just might quilt for a bit until the sun is at its strongest and the black flies head for cover.
Well, that is my excuse anyway

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

May 5, 2013
2:53 PM

Post #9509426

OUCH, your choice is black flies or strong sun huh? I should not complain! I'm gonna hurt tomorrow, I weeded, dug, planted but worst of all weedeated.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 5, 2013
5:06 PM

Post #9509603

working, a little sewing...nothing much...weather has been up and down, rainy and chilly...making my back and hips ache...hubs too :( sew not doing as much as I should be.
trying to get things done to bring to Malena, and baby Ryleigh. we leave the 13th or 14th. c section scheduled for the 16th. getting close!!! she thought she was in labor Friday night, had bad back ache all day and could not decide if spasms were spasms or contractions. she went to the hospital, and they kept her for 4 hours to monitor. they said her body is ready, and seems the little one is too. could be any time. Levi is off on a Job, due back Mon or Tues. I am hoping they will not be sending him off anywhere again, until this child gets here !!!!

Kyle is in Kansas, staying at a hotel. looking for an apartment. Waylon will be going to Washington State to visit a friend, shortly after we get back from NC. his first BIG trip on his own...he has flown a few times before, to go to brothers. butttt not for such a long time, he will go for two weeks...I am thinking he is going to love it out there, and want to move??!! I don't think I am ready ...

I finished Malena' s quilt...or sew I thought. I put the borders on, and it went fine while I was sewing them, but when I got done and laid it on my bed, one side was all wobbly / wavy weird!!! so I have taken it apart, and need to figure out what happened?? and get it back together again. then need to put reverse side on Ryleigh's quilt, gonna stitch in the ditch, sew it will sew together fast. :)
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 5, 2013
5:16 PM

Post #9509623

A cool day here but full of smiles and happy things. Today was Catie-Beth's first Communion and it was very special. Of course she did have to inform me it was okay to come even if I was not a Catholic. Never know what is coming out of that child's mouth. The family all gather back at my son's home for an afternoon lunch...was a very special, fun and relaxing day!

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 5, 2013
5:22 PM

Post #9509630

wonderful Marion !! glad you got to share in that special day. so funny what they can say sometimes !!!!
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 6, 2013
3:21 AM

Post #9510023

Thanks for the good wishes. Despite all the rain yesterday we made it to Chattanooga last night and are on our way to Owensboro this morning.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 6, 2013
3:57 AM

Post #9510048

Mittsy - it is BEAUTIFUL down here this AM. The sun is already shining. Have a good day driving.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 6, 2013
7:34 AM

Post #9510290

Jean, why are you getting the sun and I am not? LOL Please push it up our way please.

Glad to see you checking in Mittsy and safe travels.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 6, 2013
7:52 AM

Post #9510311

It cool but lots of sun here today as well, it should be up to you in no time Marion.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 6, 2013
7:56 AM

Post #9510317

I sure hope so as I am so tired of this dreary weather. My yard is calling me!
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 6, 2013
6:17 PM

Post #9511098

Well we arrived safely and my grandson has one computer connected to the internet and is working on my backup laptop. I like to have a spare in case one crashes or if I get a virus. I try to keep one available just for transfering patterns to my embroidery machine. I am so tired, going to go to bed early tonight.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 7, 2013
8:02 AM

Post #9511698

Glad you arrived safely Mittsy!!! Sunshine throughout your travels?
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 7, 2013
3:08 PM

Post #9512222

Rained all day Sunday, was horrible driving, only partly rain on Monday's drive. Not raining here.

Pansy display at the local WKBG. Enjoyed my walk, but the greenhouse was closed. Going back on Mother's Day for brunch.

Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy   

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 7, 2013
3:50 PM

Post #9512285

Those are beautiful Mittsy!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

May 7, 2013
4:04 PM

Post #9512298

Just beautiful Mittsy. May I ask what is WKBG?

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 7, 2013
4:15 PM

Post #9512309

Barb, how are you, was just about to send out DG police as you've been MIA.. Bet you are enjoying that lovely sewing room
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 8, 2013
3:32 AM

Post #9512863

Sorry, Western KY Botanical Garden. My son is on the Board of Directors. It's a beautiful place to just wander through and enjoy. The iris are so beautiful.

Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy   

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 8, 2013
4:12 AM

Post #9512901

Beatiful, we're my grandma's favorite, never planted them, should! Thans for sharing..
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 8, 2013
8:48 AM

Post #9513214

Oh I can only imagine how lovely the gardens must be now. Enjoy!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sewing and Quilting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quilt Block Exchange cont..... Luluguid 76 Dec 22, 2010 6:07 PM
Looking for a Shopping Cart Cover Pattern???? red_princess_71 17 Jan 4, 2010 9:44 AM
Necktie Skirts & Purses SandiTX 4 Oct 7, 2008 3:15 AM
Lascaux.....and brush water melody 27 Feb 29, 2008 7:46 PM
Free Accessory Patterns Yuska 13 Apr 18, 2008 9:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America