Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: Sandy's Coming

Communities > Forums > Mid-Atlantic Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Mid-Atlantic GardeningReplies: 112, Views: 718
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 25, 2012
8:29 AM

Post #9314949

It is starting to be reported that Hurricane Sandy will have a major impact on the Mid Atlantic region. Time to prep for high winds and rain/snow and attendant power outages is NOW.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang

Thumbnail by coleup
Click the image for an enlarged view.

coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 25, 2012
8:36 AM

Post #9314958

As NOAA’s Hydrometeorological Prediction Center writes:

“THERE IS INCREASING CONSENSUS AMONG THE GUIDANCE FROM THE VARIOUS MODELING CENTERS... THE ENTIRE ATLANTIC BASIN SEEMS DESTINED TO BECOME DOMINATED BY BLOCKY HIGHS AND LOWS, WITH DECREASING WIGGLE ROOM FOR EVEN LARGE FEATURES LIKE SANDY. ”

Round-up of voices/opinions about this storm

Jeff Masters, wunderground: “Sandy: a potential billion-dollar storm for the mid-Atlantic and New England”

Dr. Greg Forbes, the Weather Channel: “A worst-case scenario of Hurricane Sandy or some hybrid (mixed with a cold front and jet stream system coming toward it) could bring a widespread destructive windstorm to some part of the Northeast from Sunday into early next week. Prior to then, heavy rain, strong gusty winds, large waves and maybe storm surge are possible for coastal areas from FL to NJ.”

Bryan Norcross, the Weather Channel: “...it’s not often that credible forecast models consistently forecast a historic event, and with more models leaning that way, we need to be aware and pay attention along the entire U.S. East Coast.”

Joe Lundberg, AccuWeather: “...the evidence seems to be mounting toward the convergence of these two weather systems into an historic storm early next week.”

Alex Sosnowski, AccuWeather: “The realm of possibilities continues to range from Sandy escaping out to sea, with nothing more than blustery, much cooler air sweeping in, to a dynamic storm turning inland packing coastal flooding, flooding rainfall, high winds, downed trees, power outages, travel mayhem and even Appalachian snow.”

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 25, 2012
9:00 AM

Post #9314989

Judy--

I have been listening and reading about this as well.
This weekend--i will have to bring in whatever is still loose in my garden.
Mostly anything in small pots--definitely all my 'juvenile" CC's.
Will be sending 4 of them to JB next Monday. One each color. Red,White, Salmon and Pink.

Most of my plants are in already. Brugs are still outside--with the Dr. in a last, big bloom flush.
The cannas are still blooming--sporadically. I usually dig those up after the frost has killed the tops.

Thanks for being our "Guardian Angel" with all that is going on.

Gita
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

October 25, 2012
9:06 AM

Post #9314997

YIKES!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 25, 2012
9:11 AM

Post #9315008

Here is a warning from BG&E on how to prepare for the possible coming storm.

http://www.bge.com/Article Documents/Tropical Storm Sandy Prep Release 1 - 10.24.12.pdf

This was on the Perry hall Patch page just now.

Gita
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 25, 2012
11:40 AM

Post #9315149

I am wishing away this storm. It is inconvenient.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 25, 2012
5:53 PM

Post #9315459

Ditto to Devon's...WILL this 'lady' east...hard east

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

October 25, 2012
8:01 PM

Post #9315582

Great info on here
http://meteorologicalmusings.blogspot.com/2012/10/huge-storm-to-affect-northeast.html
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 25, 2012
8:56 PM

Post #9315610

11 o'clock news says many stores sold out of generators today. Hard to live with the possibility of extended power outages when memory of the last storms and outages is still so fresh.

My elderly newspaper customers are quite concerned. Glad it's not real cold weather. Many trees were taken out by last two storms...or taken down by home owners. Seems to me that the wind direction this time will stress trees from a new direction, so who knows?

Planning to fill any space in my freezer with bottles of water...good for ice and then for drinking.

Will clear out gutters on Sunday...check that storm drains are clear...gas up cars in am and new wiper blades all around.

Thanks for info Gita and Jen.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 26, 2012
5:02 AM

Post #9315734

Waiting to see what kind of mess this storm leaves behind.
I am leaving for the US Virgin Islands on Sat. Wonder how hard they got hit. I only here on the news about Jamaica and Bahamas. The friends that set up this Dive Trip live on a sail boat in the Virgin Islands. Going to see what I can find out on the Net.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 26, 2012
5:16 AM

Post #9315748

This AM news on the radio says that there is now a 90% chance that Sandy will come ashore.
They are now saying it may come ashore more around NJ , W. Pa, and NY. --and up to new England.

High tides and flooding all around the Bay.
Coleup--good idea putting water bottles in thew freezer. Of course in my freezers--there is NO room!

I can just see it now--Sunday when I am on the phones at HD. There will be panic calls every 2 minutes for Generators...
We went through that with the last storm. People think they can wait until the emergency hits and then
just walk into a HD and buy a generator, a snow blower, or an AC (in the 100* heat we had).
It will be busy...busy...
At least we have loads and loads of pellets. We (all the stores) have been inundated with home office buys of pellets.
Our store is, almost, running out of places to put the pallets of pellets...(say that 3 times fast...:o) )
Gita

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 26, 2012
5:18 AM

Post #9315749

THanks for the alert- I tend to downplay these things in my head, I will start by filling the freezer extra space with extra ice. For me the loss of electric for food storage is #1. #2 is loss of power to the well. But we belong to a gym so we can shower there. Rain buckets for flushing. I figured I'd bring the potted plants in this weekend ahead of next weeks chill anyway.

Good luck Holly! We' hate for that to have messed up your plans.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

October 26, 2012
5:46 AM

Post #9315784

Heading to store now.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 26, 2012
5:48 AM

Post #9315790

Putzing about on the internet now.

HEY- I may be deprived of it later when the storm hits ROFL
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 26, 2012
6:04 AM

Post #9315807

Loads of pellets?

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 26, 2012
6:07 AM

Post #9315810

Home heating or a rabbit ranch? (Its my day off! Feelin frisky!)

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 26, 2012
7:58 AM

Post #9315913

Happy--

YES! Loads of pellets! And they are still only $209.00 for the full ton.

I remember last winter--it was $295.00 a ton. I suppose it could be the suppliers raising prices,
but usually, pellets come in at the end of August as do snow-blowers, etc...

I think the early season prices of pellets are usually lower than when the big freeze hits.

Go get them, Girl!!!!!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 26, 2012
8:36 AM

Post #9315944

Here is the latest tracking of Sandy...

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-general/20121026/US.Super.Storm/?cid=hero_media

From my X-finity Home page.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 26, 2012
8:48 AM

Post #9315963

A very prominent and respected National Weather Service meteorologist wrote on Facebook last night,

I’ve never seen anything like this and I’m at a loss for expletives to describe what this storm could do.

Word around this area is 50/50 for a direct hit somewhere between Norfolk and south Jersey. 30-40 MPH sustained winds and plenty of rain for 3 - 4 days.

This is way more than inconvenient, lol, especially if you have to deliver newspapers daily during the duration. Wonder how allof those droughty rooted trees will lose their footing in the muddy deluge?

Note to self...find hard hat and work boots.

Wonder if a lower price on pellets this season has anything to do with supply of downed trees? Cord wood is much cheaper this year with almost a page of craigslist ads.

Another note to self...locate tarps and heavy sheet plastic and bungie cords.
Put important papers, etc in sealable plastic bags now.

This message was edited Oct 26, 2012 10:50 AM
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 26, 2012
9:12 AM

Post #9315997

What is a pellet? Seriously. I assume you don't mean alfalfa...
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 26, 2012
9:25 AM

Post #9316012

Happy, pellets in this discussion are a minimally processed wood product used for fuel in pellet stoves. Pellet stoves are like wood burning stoves but can be installed almost anywhere and are cleaner and more efficient heaters for those who wish supplemental or backup heat source. They do look a bit like alfalfa pellets!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 26, 2012
9:26 AM

Post #9316016

Don't think it will effect my travel plans, just wondering if they got hit with this storm. Can't find anything on that region so I am thinking it might have missed them. I'm out working on my water plants got most of them in the ground. I have also been looking around to see what will need to be put away before we get hit with a lot of wind. Looks like they are still calling for nice weather in our area tomorrow. Need to get the Gazebo top off.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 26, 2012
9:27 AM

Post #9316022

We have some wood to get inside as well.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 26, 2012
9:40 AM

Post #9316037

Thanks, Coleup -- I had no idea!
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 26, 2012
9:54 AM

Post #9316050

Holly,

My brother and his wife are in the British Virgin Island this week. When I spoke with them Wednesday they hadn't had any rain yet and the forecast for the rest of the week was 30% rain, which is very typical. I think you should be good the storm was west of the VI if anything they got a smattering of rain. It sounds like a great trip! Enjoy.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

October 26, 2012
10:10 AM

Post #9316070

Wish I was heading there with you, Holly.

Got water freezing and will collect more water for general uses tomorrow. Will be interesting to see what develops.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 26, 2012
12:17 PM

Post #9316160

happy- you city girl LOL

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 26, 2012
12:55 PM

Post #9316182

Happy---

Here is a pallet of Pellets. 50 bags--each weighs 40lbs.

Looks like the price just went up $60! Last i checked--Wednesday) it was $209 for the ton.
It says "premium" pellets, which means low ash residue.
I thought that was we always carried...

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202672617/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=278-448&storeId=10051#.UIrp92e769s
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 26, 2012
1:19 PM

Post #9316216

SallyG -- I've gotta correct you -- we just hack down the trees in our neighbor's back yards and burn them for warmth. It's the city folk who do this fancy-shmancy pellet business.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 26, 2012
5:22 PM

Post #9316412

Got it, happy!
8^)

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

October 26, 2012
6:30 PM

Post #9316469

we have a pellet stove but won't do us any good if the electricity goes out, would rather have a wood burning stove, but the pellet stove came with the house

Went to Longwood Gardens today and people out there were stocking up on bottled water, was surprised since they are so far inland
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 27, 2012
4:48 AM

Post #9316718

Have a great trip Holly! Looks like you will get out before slow moving Sandy gets here.
We'll expect a full report with pics when you return.
Hope all on the home front stays safe and stays put!
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 27, 2012
5:34 AM

Post #9316733

Jen, as to your comments on people stocking up around Longwood Gardens...

It is my understanding that Sandy has what they call a 'wind field'
that is already 900 miles across which can almost double once landfall and merger with approaching front from the west will double 'energy' available as wind and rain over the entire area and as far inland as Ohio.

Gita, I'm glad your maple is almost leafless! The twelve oaks within 'reach' of my house still have 80 per cent of their leaves.

Got two robocalls yesterday-one from county and one from BGE- and an e-mail from my insurance company.

Off to fill another vehicle with gas and then start bringing in my plants.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2012
7:14 AM

Post #9316823

Sitting here listening to WBAL--it is always on in all my rooms---sounds like Monday to Tuesday
will be a wet nightmare...They also said the storm will hit a bit further North than expected.

If you all can--check that your gutters are free of leaves and trash.
Make sure your sump pump is in good working condition.
Take the time to secure any loose items in your yard--trashcans, pots, lawn chairs and patio tables, etc...
As funny as this sounds--throw all your patio furniture inside your swimming pool--IF you have one.

The Baltimore area is expected to get 5"-10" of rain and a lot of flooding along the waterways.
Also high winds up to 50mph.

And--please--if you have any elderly or disabled neighbors, give them a hand today to get things
safely put away. Maybe do some grocery shopping for them as well.

Everyone--PLEASE stay safe! Gita

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2012
7:25 AM

Post #9316843

This was on my Xfinity (my e-mail server) home page. this AM.

This is a bit long--but read it if you can.

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-general/20121027/US.Superstorm/
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 27, 2012
8:44 AM

Post #9316897

Heading out next Sat Nov 3rd. So I will be here for the storm.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 27, 2012
9:16 AM

Post #9316917

Had a good laugh this morning. Mark's friend called yesterday and asked if he knew where he could get a generator...

Wow. That is one heck of a lot of rain.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2012
11:30 AM

Post #9317064

I was just at Lowes--and there were all kinds of people wheeling out Generators.
They must have gotten a shipment in... G.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

October 27, 2012
1:51 PM

Post #9317176

Just reading the updates, 3 storms colliding and higher tides cause of the full moon = high winds+ 1' of rain+ 2' of snow, gonna be a major mess here in NJ

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 27, 2012
4:49 PM

Post #9317299

Is it going to be cold enough to be snow somewhere?

I spent all afternoon on storm prep= I moved my Peanut butter shrub, split some Iris and lifted my too deep Peonies, in advance of all the rain that will soak them in. And got leaves into the compost bin to get wetted down. And finally bought my fall pansies.
b d
( that's my thumbs up)
But seriously- it looks very dangerous. Thankfully there is a lot of warning.

I didn't think about buying gasoline but I heard that the price is up sharply in Ohio.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

October 27, 2012
6:31 PM

Post #9317398

Yep that artic blast is supposed to sharply drop the temps, so those at higher elevations may see the snow

Picked up gas, hubby tested the generator
I'm doing laundry today and then running dishwasher tomorrow so that's out of the way
Cleared the yard today of anything that may blow away and then had time to get some bulb planting in
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 28, 2012
9:10 AM

Post #9317895

The yard is empty, but the garage and barn are not. Everything that wasn't nailed down is either put away, tied down. or nailed The gutters and downspouts are cleaned and in good repair. The wood rack is filled and I may just add some more clips to the greenhouse. I'm hoping we are over prepared. I may be a little OCD, but not sure I want to see the perfect storm. God be with you all and your loved ones. Keep safe. Ric
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 28, 2012
9:13 AM

Post #9317896

Morning all,

Here are some images and charts from the Gapital Weather Gang blog
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/post/cause-for-concern-the-7-most-alarming-hurricane-sandy-images/2012/10/28/615bbbfe-210b-11e2-ac85-e669876c6a24_blog.html?fb_xd_fragment#xd_sig=fdee5ee86d23e&xd_action=proxy_ready&data&xd_rel=parent.parent&relation=parent.parent&xd_origin=http://static.ak.facebook.com

1) Wind
"winds across the entire northeast I-95 corridor may well be gusting to 45-70 knots Monday evening, or 50-80 mph!"

2)Power outages
"conservatively, 10 million customers along the Eastern seaboard will lose power from Sandy."

3) rain

4) storm surge

Thumbnail by coleup   Thumbnail by coleup   Thumbnail by coleup   Thumbnail by coleup   
Click an image for an enlarged view.

coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 28, 2012
9:39 AM

Post #9317916

HollyAnnS wrote:The yard is empty, but the garage and barn are not. Everything that wasn't nailed down is either put away, tied down. or nailed The gutters and downspouts are cleaned and in good repair. The wood rack is filled and I may just add some more clips to the greenhouse. I'm hoping we are over prepared. I may be a little OCD, but not sure I want to see the perfect storm. God be with you all and your loved ones. Keep safe. Ric

Cross posted Ric.
I have yet to tie down, put away or nail every thing yet. Also haven't figured a "protected spot" to park our vehicles that is not "under a tree" (been there done that) and none of our vehicles are new enough to have comprehensive coverage anymore so we are out of luck should one or more be crushed (sigh)

Baking a ham...breakfast/lunch/dinner hot or cold.

I vote more greenhouse clips! Look at what I just posted...I don't think you have over anything!

Am seriously hoping my newspaper, which is owned by the same company as The Weather Channel will get the picture and not abdicate or leave decision to deliver tomorrow during height of storm up to each carrier at risk of route loss.

Love how the Northeast Forum weather thread puts it

"A storm is like crossing a bridge in the fog, you don't know what you will encounter going through it and have no idea what awaits you on the other side."

May all creatures great and small find perfect shelter in this storm.

Judy

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 28, 2012
12:47 PM

Post #9318098

Here in Texas I am praying for all of you. Hoping that the preparations will not be needed. We are tormented with tornados here and there is no warning whatsoever. Think that maybe better than days on end of anticipation. God bless you.

Christi
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

October 28, 2012
2:31 PM

Post #9318201

I came by to wish you all the best of luck...LUCK comes from our GOD so we pray that He takes good care of each and every one of you during this storm.

While LouC has to contend with Tornados,the most we have is dust storms, except floods during Monsoon.

Prayers going out for all of you!! Jo

UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 28, 2012
2:48 PM

Post #9318217

Yea everybody hold tight. I hope that the valley we sit in and woods protect us from the heavy winds. I definitely put a few things away but not all my loose plastic pots, they sit in a nursery pile (mound on the ground).

It'll be over before we know it. Good luck see you all on the other side of this. Cheers.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

October 28, 2012
3:05 PM

Post #9318230

Amen! Roadrunner

School was canceled for the next 2 days
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 28, 2012
3:18 PM

Post #9318240

At least those that control so many things appear to be doing the best they can to avoid disaster. Praying for your safety.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

October 28, 2012
4:20 PM

Post #9318300

I love our governor

Mandatory evacuations were in effect for the barrier islands...some people want to stay...his comment "don't be an idiot get out!"

People looking for bottled water...just fill your own bottles, buckets, containers, even ziploc bags and freeze them don't really need to go crazy looking for bottled water
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

October 28, 2012
4:32 PM

Post #9318315

That's exactly what I did, Jen. Lots of containers full of ice, now.

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 28, 2012
6:06 PM

Post #9318390

Yesterday we cleared movable objects inside, and I finished up a circular patio and transition I had been intermittenly working on of late. Left unfinished, the storm would have eroded the carefully prepared base of soil, stone dust and sand. Today we went up to our property in WV to clean out gutters and such. My car overheated on the way up and we had visions of riding out Sandy at the side of a mountain road. Finally managed to get back home to Lucketts, Virginia. On Interstate 70 there was one convoy of utility trucks after another headed east to help with the storm damage, mighty glad to see them. On the ride back we shared the road with at least a dozen ComEd trucks from Illinois and a number of Asplund tree service trucks from points west. Ready to hunker down for the next two days. Hope everyone stays safe and dry.

Thumbnail by greenthumb99

Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

October 28, 2012
6:21 PM

Post #9318409

Thank you. That patio looks wonderful! You be safe, too

My thoughts and prayers re with everyone.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 28, 2012
6:33 PM

Post #9318431

That patio is a thing of beauty! I'm glad you got your car moving!!!!
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

October 28, 2012
7:42 PM

Post #9318496

We are just getting a gust every now and then and the wind chimes are going pretty good. I wanted to let all of you know that I am keeping you all ( and your gardens ) in my thoughts and hoping that you stay safe and dry.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 28, 2012
8:19 PM

Post #9318543

Prayers all around. Costco had TONS of water yesterday - picked up plenty - put some the freezer - deep freezer and refrigerator. Tropicals are all safely inside. Tried to assure Chloe as she snuggled with me tonight that, that was simply the trees whispering. Poor thing...she's scared lights will go out. I said have you SEEN all the candles AND we can put on hiking lights (ones you wear on your forehead) on and do shadow puppets - how cool will that be? Poor baby! Anywho...as I said prayers for everyone's protection - please check in if you're able...hugs
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 28, 2012
8:32 PM

Post #9318556

We have been busy! My September project of planting my front hill slipped into October. We had hoped to get a lot of work done this weekend on the hill. Instead, we planted a bit but mostly stapled huge tarps across the area that had been planted to keep it from slipping into the road below. We moved one car to my husband's office garage (praying that the garage won't flood), and put the other into our garage at home where no car has been parked in 20 years! There are still lots of potting plants outside. We tried to anchor them as best we could, but our attemps will likely seem feeble in the face of the 75 mile hour winds that are now being forecast. I'm not sure what we can do to anchor them any better. Egads.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 28, 2012
8:36 PM

Post #9318562

Actually, while I should be worried about my little plants, I'm really quite concerned about the MAJOR trees around our house. I'll been very very relieved when this is over. I know we'll lose power-- we always do -- but if we are otherwise unscathed I'll consider us very lucky. We'll be sleeping on the basement floor Monday and Tuesday nights!
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 28, 2012
9:17 PM

Post #9318588

Check this out: http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/article.html. It states: "The National Weather Service in New Jersey is begging that people heed warnings, and evacuate if they are asked to. They write, 'If you are reluctant [to evacuate], think about your loved ones, think about the emergency responders who will be unable to reach you when you make the panicked phone call to be rescued, think about the rescue/recovery teams who will rescue you if you are injured or recover your remains if you do not survive.'

I hope and pray that all our friends who have been asked to evacuate in the face of this storm have done so.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 29, 2012
3:04 AM

Post #9318653

Quoting: I hope and pray that all our friends who have been asked to evacuate in the face of this storm have done so.

Me toooo!!!!!!!! Good Heavens, please everyone, be safe!!!

Got the hatches battened down here. All the babies are under cover, got loads of petrol for the generator, lots of water, food stuffs, got the second-bathroom's bathtub filled with water, along with 2 outdoor trash cans, (for "flushing", just in case)... any fly-aroundables have either been brought indoors or bungee corded down under the deck... flashlights, kerosene heater, hurricane lamps (how ironic, no?). All set.

Poooor DH is an electrician, however, ALAS! he is not a lineman, so while he is at work, his 'on-call' status is iffy at best. An extra prayer or 2 for the Love of my Life's safety would be greatly appreciated, please. =)

Will update as needed, and as possible, but so far so good, just rain and heavily breezy here. You all STAY SAFE!!!!!!!
bluepoppy
Landisburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

October 29, 2012
3:19 AM

Post #9318660

Just rain here so far and the weather man said this morning that the eye of the storm is predicted to go right over central Pa...that would be me...Sure not looking forward to this... As prepared as I can be..and high winds are to start this afternoon..Stay safe everyone...
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 29, 2012
4:21 AM

Post #9318685

Bluepoppy, Nice to see you, been awhile since I have seen you posting. Things are still pretty quiet here. A little rain just slight drizzle from time to time. The wind has picked up but it high and not really moving much around. Funny you can hear the sound of the wind but the trees aren't blowing much at all. Ric started a fire as the house feels pretty damp and the temps are at 52.
Chantell, We use the solar lights that we have stuck all over the yard. They are great to put in bedrooms at night, no fire risk from candles.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 29, 2012
6:08 AM

Post #9318754

Still nothing major to report here. Been raining steadily since about ... probably before 4:00 this morning, (I've only been up since 4:00, so I don't know what it did before then), but it's still only just heavily breezy, no major winds as of yet. The doppler/radar thingy on the news shows my area being in the dark orange "heavy rain" zone, but honestly, it's not falling that hard, just steady.
Mostly I'm just taking advantage of having electricity while I've got it.. running the dishwasher, got a roast in the crock pot (can be re-heated in my cast-iron pot on the barbecue if/when the power goes out), and goofing off on the computer. Hmmmmm, I think I'll bring up the hurricane lamps from downstairs and have them on standby.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 29, 2012
6:09 AM

Post #9318756

I move to FL and where does the hurricane go - up to MD area. What are the odds?
Hope you all get through this w/out damage, or at least nothing major.
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

October 29, 2012
6:23 AM

Post #9318777

Rain here now in western MD. Tasha living in Delmar, DE is getting hit pretty good right now and she is also dealing with a sick baby. Yesterday was my granddaughter's sixth birthday and guess she did too much celebrating with cupcakes and excitement, bless her heart.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 29, 2012
7:11 AM

Post #9318818

We're as prepared as we probably can be. I feel that those subject to flooding are much more entitled to worry than we. And those with big old oak trees in the yard- (happy D and D !)

I love your gov too Jen. And I love you too much to ask that we trade.
; ^)

Hm, yeah might snatch up my solar yard lights. Esp my Royal Sceptre! Great for the 'throne room!'

Grocery store was wiped clean of water yesterday- but I already had my water plan. THe other shelves I noticed semi bare was the snack- yes I DID need to have a bag of my favorite kettle style potato chips to ride out this storm, and so did many of my neighbors. . mmm and at this time I was happy that my small freezer spaces were somewhat open and only stocked with cheap easy to prep food that can go on the grill or propane stove.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 29, 2012
7:16 AM

Post #9318828

Holly -- what solar powered lights do you use outside?

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 29, 2012
7:31 AM

Post #9318845

Nothing major going on..yet...just endless slow rain. It has been raining most of the night--
as I lay there and listened half asleep.
The Governor was just on Radio saying the storm has turned and will now spew more
serious rain and winds upon MD. OC has already lost a the public fishing Pier.

On the home front--everything movable has been battened down.
I know the floor in my shed will be all covered with water--it is already lapping at the door sill.
Nothing in there to harm a lot--mostly just pots on the floor.

Being a phone Operator yesterday at the HD was pure Hell. Eight hours of non-stop calls--
everyone asking if we had any Generators. NO! Saturday morning--we got a shippment of 57
Generators. They ALL were sold by noon. It is a total panic! People do not realize they can just
bring home a generator and plug it in somewhere--and it will work!
So--they all bought generators--which ARE NOT returnable!!!

Besides these--we were also totally out of Gas cans, flashlights, Size "D" batteries, back up (electric)
Sump Pumps, bags of sand and tarps.

I am hoping to just sit nervously--and, maybe, find a craft project to work on.

Stay safe---everyone! Gita
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 29, 2012
7:36 AM

Post #9318848

Still praying for all of you and more.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 29, 2012
7:36 AM

Post #9318849

Just cheap garden lights that we pick up at Walmart for a few $$ each. We have them tucked around the yard near pathways and steps. Maybe about a dozen scattered around the yard. We let them outside during the day and if we lose power we bring them in at night. A couple of them sitting in a vase will light up the table really nice for a lighted game spot or even reading. Great for bedrooms with out the fire risk of candles. We had a couple of close calls with what we thought were safe burning candles so I am pretty careful. I like these they are unobtrusive in the garden, inexpensive and work for quite a long time. Great to take along camping, too.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 29, 2012
7:37 AM

Post #9318850

Gita: What do mean: "People do not realize they can just bring home a generator and plug it in somewhere--and it will work! So--they all bought generators--which ARE NOT returnable!!!"

We don't have a generator, but periodically I think of getting one. Are you saying they DO work? If so, why would people return them?
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 29, 2012
7:39 AM

Post #9318852

Holly -- your solar lights sound great. Do you think they'd work if they were not in direct sun (I guess that's a no-brainer, but I can always hope). Me and my shady lot would love to know. When I take my dogs to the back part of our lot in the middle of the night, it is pitch dark (if the moon isn't out), so these could be a good solution.

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 29, 2012
7:41 AM

Post #9318856

Our power went out about 7:30 AM this morning. We had slept in and I hadn't made coffee yet. I thought "Geesh! Its not ever really breezy here yet and the power is out!". Do to our earlier mentioned car trouble yesterday we did not arrive home until after dark. I had planned to clean out the gutters here as my last activity for the day to minimize refill from leaf-fall prior to the storm. So...out I go in the rain this morning to clear the gutters. Ugh! About 9:30 AM Pat had just opined that she wished we had at least managed to get coffee before the storm really hit, when suddenly the lights came on again. I told Pat to wish for greater things...No million dollars, renewed youth or world peace yet. At least we now have a hot breakfast, coffee and internet, so we are fine for now. Hope everyone stays safe and dry.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 29, 2012
7:44 AM

Post #9318857

Can't give you any facts on the "WHY"--except, maybe, people bought them on an impulse,
and then did not need them.
Or--they bought one and had no one to connect them to the house power--properly?

One caller I had said he bought one 2 days ago--but it keeps kicking off. I transferred him to Tool Rental.
Those guys maintain all kinds of machines when they are returned. Hope theu could help this customer.

Happy--of course they DO work--but they have to be outside the house--therefore, "installed" properly.
Generators produce CO-2 which can kill you if you try to run one inside your house.

Other that that--I do not know anything much about them. G.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 29, 2012
7:46 AM

Post #9318865

Oh, ok; I think there was a typo in your original post -- a "not" must have been missing.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 29, 2012
7:50 AM

Post #9318871

Yes--you are right, Happy. "not" was missing...OOOPS!!!

People do not realize they can(NOT) just
bring home a generator and plug it in somewhere--and it will work!

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 29, 2012
7:56 AM

Post #9318877

Another pitfall of spur-of-the-moment generator purchases is people may not realize that generators are not shipped with oil in the engines. If some person takes one home and doesn't read the mannual, hurriedly puts in gas, and starts it up without putting in oil it will ruin it almost immediately and they will not be able to return it. Makes for an expensive door stop.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 29, 2012
8:02 AM

Post #9318883

Thanks for reminding people of that, David.
Maybe that is why that caller had problems with his Generator not staying "started".

That is why a can of oil comes packed inside the box with each Generator.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 29, 2012
8:10 AM

Post #9318887

Sally, please count me in on those big old oaks cause I have 12 that could effect my house if they come down or throw big old branches my way.

Yes, I am concerned for my own personal safety this time round unlike other storms where I was feeling more secure in my hunker down in place location than this time. Remembered not to park all of our vehicles (4) in the same relatively safe place (not under a tree!) but that has put my (symbolic) means of escape so far away that making it to them could be quite hazardous.

So, personal safety (and DP Wayne and cats) is my primary concern, not power outage or duration. Am giving myself permission to be afraid as this is scary and serious and Sandy is intensifying.

Hope my boat, my 'little blue house', makes it through all this. I remember from my boating and live aboard days how seriously we took the weather and storms cause what we did and how we did it determined much of our odds of survival. Good friends were lost in storms we survived, but no gaurantees. This feels the same ...just sayin', not freaking myself out here as I am much more a realist than panicer!

We have everything we need for this adventure but it would be nice to have a scepter for our throne room! Kudos Sally and Holly great ideas!

Have to go out and feed feral cats hunkered down beneathe a small camping (heavy) trailer. Should have moved our grill to covered patio cause who want to cook in the wind and rain? Oh well, eventually wind and rain will abate...and we'll eat on the ham til power goes out.

Newspaper says "Due to weather, newspaper deliveries may be delayed to certain areas" My point, if newspaper and mail delivery was officially suspended (Starbucks officially closed their New York stores) no one would risk their safety to go out and check if their paper was there yet. Not that there isn't individual freedom, but in this case removing as many reasons for 'stupid' behavior keeps us all safer. Thanks for letting me say that!

Hope to be able to keep checking in here and my best to all.

Judy
rubyw
Crozet, VA

October 29, 2012
8:19 AM

Post #9318899

David - Thanks for the chuckle on the expensive door stop. Love it!!! Yep, on generators...another wifely complaint. Of course John owns one and has for years. Any time that I have mentioned him getting it near the house, he goes in to a long spiel on how much has to be done in order to hook them up. Some of the things already mentioined, such as being outside and having proper connections and all. Last summer when John inspected his generator he finds that he has a leak and it wouldn't have worked the week we were without power even if it had been near the house.

We decided and started the process of having a whole house generator installed soon after the power outage in July. We are still about three months away from having it actually on property and workable. The company we are purchasing from has a back log of three months due to everyone else having the same thoughts as ourselves after July's big event. Never again do I want to experience anything like that!!! I was about to melt.

I am must like Sally admitted to being and am sitting here waiting it out. The only thing I have done in preparation of the possible arrival of Sandy is to fill about six or eight gallon jugs of water. John is currently out shopping at Walmart and going to the bank. The winde blew quite fiercely during the night but this morning all is very, very quiet...speak of quiet before the storm...am truly hoping not.

Schools in the area are all closed today. Not sure what the news about town will be when John returns. I am hoping that all the preparations will be for naught...yep, a girl can wish, can't she? Stay safe everyone.

Ruby

Catbird423

Catbird423
Odenton, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 29, 2012
8:27 AM

Post #9318917

I came in to work this morning, we are closing the Museum at noon and will be closed tomorrow. Not too bad out here yet, rainy but not bad winds yet. Glad once I get home I won't have to go out until Wed at the earliest. Have a small leak in my bedroom but so far none in the living room. Guess my landlord got at least one fixed.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 29, 2012
8:44 AM

Post #9318940

First- a new idea--just occurred to me- I might heat some hot water and store it in at thermos so we could have the comfort of hot tea or instant drinks without the hassle of the stove. Maybe we'll turn the hot water heater temp up a bit too, store the heat in case we lose power. We normally run it at the min 120.

Judy I do of course include you in all wishes for safety from trees. Did you lose a big one last year? We all hope that meant it was the only weak one. And that the season means that most leaves will blow off first, as opposed to summer storms where all the leaves catch the wind.

One might think in this day of insurance and lawsuits, that the newspaper companies would prefer to call OFF deliveries and avoid being sued if a deliverer is hurt. Then again, in marginal weather, (which this clearly seems NOT to be) some deliverers would rather take the risks than lose the pay for the day.

Yes David I enjoyed the story too, when we found out you both had been able to have coffee and breakfast.

Don't call me an expert BUT
We have a small generator - Mark and his airplane co owner had bought it for use in the plane hanger - so we bring it here in storms. He wired up a special extension cord with male plugs on both ends. Then he turns off the breaker for one circuit for the sump pump and then plugs the cord in to the outlet in that circuit. That way we ensure power for the sump pump AND we isolate the power from going anywhere else in the wiring. That's important so that later when workers are working on wires they assume to be dead, that there is no power going into them from our generator.

One of our cats is very vocal and demanding. He was just driving me nuts, following me and crying to go outside. I finally caved, but first mentioned to the sixteen yr old that I wanted to let Chester out. Kevin said. I've already let him out THREE TIMES and every time he runs out and runs back in ROFL! Darn cat! So now CHester is on the deck up against the house watching the rain. I bet he'll be begging to come in next time I pass through the kitchen.

Mark just drove over to his moms apt building- will report back if anything interesting in the local outside world. We thought her safest situation would be in a large new building in a known senior housing where County will be on alert to help.

Now back to working on an article...

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

October 29, 2012
8:59 AM

Post #9318967

Just checking in for a second, wind is picking up here in South Central NJ and the Joint Base and the State have issued emergency status, so I am in to stay.

My kids are both considered essential personnel so they have been out and about all morning delivering and picking up things for the shelters. One thing Lynn had to do today was to get some small goat cages out of storage at the Horse Park and give them to a woman who has to move her goats. I worry so about the animals.

My silly Charle loves water, so he is running in and out the doggie door and my place is a bit wet when he comes in and I can not catch him before I dry him off. Charle is a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and you know how they love water. I did not go for a walk today, just did not feel like getting wet.

We have had some rain but it comes in waves as the storm progresses. Another two hours and it should get rather nasty here. I do hope you are all safe and please say a prayer for those on the coast who already are feeling the flooding. Most of our Island people are inland and in shelters because they have closed all roads into the barrier island towns, but their homes will be totally a mess when this is over and Mother Nature goes back to
normal. See you all later. JB
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

October 29, 2012
9:27 AM

Post #9318999

So far, so good. I do kinda just hate to play the waiting game though. Made an apple pie while we still had power. As ready as we are gonna get. Some of the gusts are well pretty gusty. And it is only going to get gustier. We've passed the 3" mark of rain so far.

Solar lights are on my list of things to get for the future.

Keeping you all in my prayers.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 29, 2012
9:36 AM

Post #9319010

I can hear a distant or maybe high in tall trees ' roar ' starting an d the gusts are building. And i seem to be driven to either cook or eat and can t decide which as i am not hungry.

Mark drove to moms only to discover that the other sibling decided to take her to their house. So he came home bringing a bottle of Pinot grigio.
:-D
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

October 29, 2012
9:40 AM

Post #9319014

Way to go, Mark!!!!!

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 29, 2012
10:23 AM

Post #9319057

Checking in. All is well here so far. Just waiting for the worst to come and go and deal with the aftermath, whatever it may be. It looks like the pond will overflow and go over the emergency spillway. Happens once or twice every couple of years. Biggest concern is how many trees will come down, but it is just one of those things when you live in the woods. Meals are ready, the portable generator is gassed up, have buckets of water for the toilet tanks, candles, and parents up the hill who now have a whole house generator in case it gets really bad. Hunkered down watching movies on a very rainy afternoon. Glad to hear everyone else is pretty well prepared. Take care!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 29, 2012
10:49 AM

Post #9319097

Wind is starting to gust here too--in waves...My windows rattle now and then.
Rain hitting on the windows like a noisy shower..

I already see a couple, small dead branches down. Nature's pruning...

Funny thing--all the wind is coming from the West!
I thought this storm was going to blow from the East????

My trees are swaying somewhat...I am sure the trees will not fall over--
after all, their roots are all over my back yard. Good support!
It is the main branches that I worry about...However--I should not spend my
energy in worrying about everything--as I cannot do anything about any of it.

Judy, Sally, Teri, and everyone else with trees--Be safe!!!

Me too...Me too...Gita

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

October 29, 2012
11:02 AM

Post #9319112

our area recorded the highest gust so far, over 40mph

lost power for a few mins around 1

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 29, 2012
11:13 AM

Post #9319123

The rain gauge only shows 2"s, but it seems to be more. May be because half the time it's coming down sideways. There is water standing everywhere. My rain barrel (pool) has been disconnected from the down spouts for a couple of weeks and it is still overflowing. The wind is gusty but not much damage as yet, The power is on, we are warm and dry, and so definitely not suffering from empty nest pangs. LOL Ric
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 29, 2012
11:35 AM

Post #9319153

Gita: My understanding is that based on the storm's counterclockwise rotation, that you are right -- the wind should be coming from the west.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

October 29, 2012
11:39 AM

Post #9319159

Boardwalk in Atlantic City...Gone

medlarman

medlarman
Fairfax, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 29, 2012
11:45 AM

Post #9319164

Thanks, Sally! I'm ashamed that I didn't think about putting some hot tea into a thermos. I bought an enormous one for my wife's birthday; since she's no longer drinking coffee I will "borrow" it.

I was going to have a bunch of trees cut down and a gutter protection system installed. Serves me right for being a slacker.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 29, 2012
12:29 PM

Post #9319213

Our power has flickered. Our ailly reaction was to turn off a few less essential lights that were on. Like trying to appease the gods of electrons.

Oh no Jen I know people will return to the beaches as always but the cost of these losses on top of the current economy...uggghh
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 29, 2012
12:44 PM

Post #9319238

Medlarman, we put in our own gutter leaf guard system (2 different kinds ) and they have worked pretty well for us. Like the ones made of stiff metal screening that snap to gutter edge and are hinged so can open them to clean if needed. Mostly we sweep them off and they do not displace like the plastic ones, or deteriorate in the sun. Our roof is fairly accessible and not steep.

Wind picking up, visibly and audibly.

Happy and Gita et al Sure would like some attention to wind direction and why...but I think I heard one forecaster say that as Sandy meets up with storm coming down the jet stream from Canada the wind is being sucked into the eye from the south like a giant vacuum cleanerfor the last several hours. And then there is the upper atmosphere and what we feel here on ground. I tried to park our cars with windshield away from main wind direction or stow some things on the leeward side of the house.

Evidently Sandy is picking up speed and may make landfall sooner than thought.

May camp the nite in our camper van instead of basement. Hey, we can run engine for some heat and a radio report. Might be better than restless sleep attending to every bump in the night as a tree letting loose from its mooring and then see what we see in the am.

Just passed on the thermos tip to Wayne who drinks a ton of tea.

Power outages doubling every half hour, Bay Bridge closed.

Sally, only one of my neighbors trees came down in last storm and landed within 5 feet of my house. The other rotten half is still standing but will no longer reach here. Newspaper carriers are all "independent contractors" so company has no insurance liability for carrier safety only the contractual bottom line to publish those ads.

I too want to eat or cook. Ate a whole box of mac n cheese yesterday because it was so, well, comforting! Some say it is the anticipation of endorphins that gets them flowwing. What kind of pie did you bake Jan? And how's that new grandchild?

Keep checking in..you all keep my spirits up
Judy

PS Wondering if any of us will see snow?

This message was edited Oct 29, 2012 2:56 PM

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

October 29, 2012
1:03 PM

Post #9319271

hi guys, we just had a flickering of electric already... didn't think we may lose power this soon... it's been pouring all day and now the winds are picking up. I wish we weren't surrounded by so many trees. Scared about a window crash. We tried to park our cars in the most open spots.

we filled our bathtub with water and have a big pot on the stove with extra too. now, if we only had a porta potty!!! we could not find one anywhere. We can't flush w/out power...sigh... the next few days ought to be interesting

and I could kick myself for not harvesting a bunch of seeds before all this rain and wind. I'm sure the seeds were sent flying to you guys in MD!! lol

I have a friend in Wildwood who has 4 foot of water outside her door already and rising. And family who have houses on LBI that they are worried about, but at least they are not in those homes. I did hear of a lot of LBI residents that stayed though. This is really bad and quite life threatening for those so close to the ocean and bay areas...

good luck to all in Sandy's path!!

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

October 29, 2012
1:24 PM

Post #9319297

I can't believe anyone stayed in LBI

Some great pics on here
Check out the photo comparison between Irene and Sandy
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2224655/Hurricane-Sandy-update-Floodwaters-breach-rivers-submerge-towns-storm-century-barrels-East-Coast.html?ITO=1490

Snow in mts of VA already
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 29, 2012
1:30 PM

Post #9319307

From http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/liveblog/wp/2012/10/29/live-blog-hurricane-sandy-news/?hpid=z2:

Evening winds pose dangerous threat

At least three trees have fallen on homes in northwest D.C. A wind gust of 55 mph was just clocked in Takoma Park, Md by a WeatherBug station.

As wind gusts increase as high as 60-80 mph, more trees will fall overnight. If you’re house is surrounded by trees, you might consider sleeping on the lowest floor tonight.

Here’s some sound advice from Bryan Norcross, meteorologist at the Weather Channel:

For folks staying home, if you’re riding out the storm in a house surrounded by trees, stay on the opposite side of the house from the wind on a low floor. Close the curtains to cover windows facing the wind… but still be very careful near any glass that could break.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 29, 2012
1:40 PM

Post #9319321

WOW Jen great pictures. Still all good for us and our family
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

October 29, 2012
1:42 PM

Post #9319325

Wind has been picking up. Have a few trees, but glad the wind direction is favorable in case they fall.

It was an apple pie. Made muffins yesterday and chocolate chip cookies. Little Thomas is doing well. He gained half a pound last week.

Thinking about you all. Thankful we still have power. Sure we will lose it though.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 29, 2012
1:53 PM

Post #9319336

wind dont you know you can flush with a bucket?

5 inches our current rain total in a bucket in the middle of the yard
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 29, 2012
2:07 PM

Post #9319346

Hartzell (Heather) up in Mount Pleasant PA has started a continuation thread for us over here

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1286242/

Lets all move over there and if we get around a hundred posts again someone else do a continuation thread please and thankyou. We are fortunate to have so many ways to keep in touch these days.

Judy
GrowHappy
Nottingham, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 29, 2012
3:23 PM

Post #9319434

So far so good here. Lots of wind and rain. Thank God.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 29, 2012
3:42 PM

Post #9319450

Wind really picking up...Until just an hour ago--there was not much new.
Sounds like someone is banging on my windows...They are the "old" kind of windows--
with the storm windows behind the regular ones. So--everything rattles.

I think sandy has arrived over Baltimore...

I was just looking at an amazing link that, i think coleup posted. Lots of shots from NY and Atlantic City
and all kinds of other places. Beaches and flooded streets...Please re-post it here.

Where was that link posted????????? i wanted to forward it to a couple people.
I went out of it and now I cannot find it.

Gita
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 29, 2012
3:53 PM

Post #9319465

[quote="coleup"]Hartzell (Heather) up in Mount Pleasant PA has started a continuation thread for us over here

Lets all move over there and if we get around a hundred posts again someone else do a continuation thread please and thankyou. We are fortunate to have so many ways to keep in touch these days.

Judy[/quote

]Gita and Grow...We have moved. Join us on new thread. Thanks

Gita, check your history for recently closed links...

UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 29, 2012
3:59 PM

Post #9319473

Hey all. Everybody is good here. No power and a few pines down. But all is good.

Stay safe.
Paul

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 29, 2012
4:07 PM

Post #9319480

Never mind--I found it! FlowAjen posted it. Gita
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 29, 2012
4:20 PM

Post #9319491

Paul
We have moved our discussion to over here.

Please join us on new thread Thanks
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 31, 2012
10:25 AM

Post #9321166

Checking in! Will catch up later if our internet stays up.

We got some impressive wind & rain, but nothing really dangerous. Power was out for less than 24 hours, internet stayed out another day, but hopefully we're back in business now.

Hope everybody is safe!
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

October 31, 2012
10:37 AM

Post #9321175

Glad to hear you, critter and glad you are doing well

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

October 31, 2012
4:55 PM

Post #9321440

made it okay at our end...whew. we still have a few neighbors w/out power who are on a separate power line than us.

Sally, our sewage/water gets pumped to the street with an electric pump after passing through a holding tank...since we live so far back from the street. otherwise, I'd love to do the 'ol bucket flush trick lol

our family with homes on LBI are biting their nails since they can't go down to see the damage for at least 10 days.

I'm still waiting to hear from my friend in Wildwood. She stopped posting on Facebook once the water got too high around her house and she lost power. She had a big dog with her too to worry about. I hope they're okay.

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

October 31, 2012
4:56 PM

Post #9321441

oops...sorry. didn't realize you moved the discussion! I'll go find u
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 31, 2012
4:57 PM

Post #9321442

My heart is broken for those effected. Continuing to pray for God's Grace.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-Atlantic Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening forum Terry 51 Jan 6, 2009 12:54 AM
Happy Hollow trip in MD who's in??? magoobu 48 Apr 26, 2007 12:41 PM
rocks??? nikki_conway 68 Jan 18, 2011 6:26 PM
Liriope - evergreen here? pennefeather 18 Aug 2, 2010 6:18 AM
Pineapple sage recipe to share. ladygardener1 18 Nov 5, 2010 4:03 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America