Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Agastaches and Salvias: Salvia regla

Communities > Forums > Agastaches and Salvias
bookmark
Forum: Agastaches and SalviasReplies: 8, Views: 157
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

October 26, 2012
3:47 PM

Post #9316341

So late to bloom for me but always a welcome autumn suprise.

Thumbnail by newtonsthirdlaw
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Rich_dufresne
Candor, NC

October 28, 2012
9:57 AM

Post #9317929

All of mine are late this year. The three I have are Jame (my collection from Coahuila); the Huntington BG form (a garden hybrid from their Salvia regla bed; and the Queretaro form (original collection from two sites in that Mexican state by Fred Boutin when he was at thee Huntington.)

The last form is probably one of the parents of the second form, the other parent likely to be a Big Bend form.

BTW, does anyone know where the Big Bend forms can be bought? These include Mount Emory and Warnock's Choice.

The images are the following three forms, in this order:

Huntington form
Queretaro form
Jame, Coahuila form

The Huntington form may be as floriferous as the Queretaro form, which is more subtropical and grows faster.

Thumbnail by Rich_dufresne   Thumbnail by Rich_dufresne   Thumbnail by Rich_dufresne      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

October 28, 2012
9:34 PM

Post #9318593

I have no idea which form it is. Mine always bloom late though.
C
gapeahen
Donna in Douglas, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 3, 2013
11:33 PM

Post #9374844

Strangely my Jame bloom early around the end of July and again in late October and still blooming today! It just keep on flushing out new blooms. I must be doing something right!
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

June 26, 2013
6:48 AM

Post #9573767

How difficult are they to start from seed? I looked for seed on my own plants (two, seperated) and have found none.
C
Rich_dufresne
Candor, NC

June 26, 2013
8:04 AM

Post #9573861

This year, because of the coolness and rain, I am already collecting some seed. The Huntington form is leading the other two that I have.

Seed will germinate, but collect it when it is ripe in the calyx (turning dark brown). Picking while it is fully grown, but still green, results in low germination. The percentage increases with the darkening of the color of the seed. In any case, germination may only be around 50%. You will have to monitor the plants daily to catch ripe seed before it falls.
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

June 27, 2013
8:20 AM

Post #9575451

I have had only a few blooms. Mine always bloom in fall.
Rich_dufresne
Candor, NC

June 28, 2013
5:10 AM

Post #9576629

We've been having a lot of late afternoon rain lately, and came through a relatively cool spring, which is probably the most important factor.
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

June 28, 2013
5:12 AM

Post #9576632

I agree, blooming seems to be controlled by temperature.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Agastaches and Salvias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Salvia pictures from my garden Gerris2 133 Mar 21, 2007 6:49 PM
My favorite Salvias ecrane3 88 Jun 5, 2007 11:39 PM
Agastaches & Salvias I'm Getting Thru Mail Order Marilynbeth 55 Mar 11, 2007 10:49 PM
Agastache & salvia Ariel73 2 Apr 10, 2007 7:14 PM
Salvia 'Discolor' mrs_colla 9 Mar 13, 2007 6:34 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America