Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Cacti and Succulents: euphorbia advice

Communities > Forums > Cacti and Succulents
bookmark
Forum: Cacti and SucculentsReplies: 5, Views: 96
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

October 26, 2012
5:16 PM

Post #9316408

I bought this ugly guy at walmart on the sale rack. This summer he grew what looked oddly like two giant breasts. I pulled those off today but am wondering the best way to root them?
C

Thumbnail by newtonsthirdlaw
Click the image for an enlarged view.

newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

October 26, 2012
5:27 PM

Post #9316420

the babes

Thumbnail by newtonsthirdlaw
Click the image for an enlarged view.

helenchild
Decatur, GA

October 27, 2012
10:38 AM

Post #9316997

It was trying to put out branches. Put the amputated limbs in dry soil for a while. Most euphorbias do fine Dec-Feb without any water.
Lots of Euphorbias are tough and tolerant except about water in the winter.
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

October 27, 2012
11:10 AM

Post #9317034

The whole plant is mishapen so the branching just looked worse. Should I let them callus over out of the dirt, like a cactus?

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

October 27, 2012
11:42 AM

Post #9317079

I don't think any special waiting period is necessary, as long as you don't water for a week or two. I'd just pot them up, put them in bright shade, and water sparingly over the winter. If the pot is small and the mix is light, it will dry pretty fast even if the plant isn't drinking. Wait until you see new growth on top before ramping up the water and light. Maybe in the spring. I water my Euphorbias over the winter, mostly with the goal of letting them dry in between each time, but of course your mileage may vary in a more severe climate.
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

October 27, 2012
1:34 PM

Post #9317163

Mine have to be moved indoors so watering can get tricky, especially in a cool house.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Cacti and Succulents Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Jade plant - too big for pot Rosalia 20 Dec 28, 2009 10:21 PM
Cactus Receipes Crasulady2 27 Jun 15, 2007 4:59 AM
Interested in seeds for unusual cacti and succulents Lavanda 2 Jul 7, 2008 8:45 AM
Another Succulent ID please henryr10 28 Dec 10, 2009 10:59 AM
Epiphyllum Curly weeding 5 Nov 9, 2009 3:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America