Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Unusual palm

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

While in one of the two Jardim Botanico in Porto Portugal, I saw this beauty. Having never seen such an exquisitely shaped palm (if that is what it is) I had to snap a few pics and post them here. Maybe some one (palmbob!!!!) can identify it. Xuling

Thumbnail by xuling Thumbnail by xuling Thumbnail by xuling Thumbnail by xuling Thumbnail by xuling
Fountain Hills, AZ(Zone 9b)

Definitely a Yucca, I'll go with Y. valida. There are quite a few 4-8 footers in the neighborhood, so it must be pretty hardy

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

Hola GermanStar, I am a little confused by your message. This plant must be 20 feet tall, or more. So I am confused by your 4-8 footers comment. But thanks for the Yucca thought, that never entered my mind. (but then not much does) Xuling

Since my neighborhood is far, far less than 50 years old, the plants are not mature. Why is that confusing? Y. valida reaches about 15', so you may have something different there, though I don't know of another unbranched Yucca that retains its lower leaves for so long, perhaps Geoff does. A couple 8' specimens around here still have all their leaves.

This message was edited Oct 26, 2012 9:10 PM

I suppose it could be Y. filifera, though they usually branch before they reach that height.

Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

I would not be surprised if it was a yucca filifera , I know of at least one growing close to me that is in the 16 to 20 foot range that still has but a single crown . Looking at some pics (by palmbob) in plant files one can see that the lower trunks before branching are easily that length.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/56473/

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.