Photo by Melody

Daylilies: Are you starting any Daylily seeds this winter? how?

Communities > Forums > Daylilies
bookmark
Forum: DayliliesReplies: 156, Views: 1,302
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

October 26, 2012
8:44 PM

Post #9316587

I was wondering if any body felt like talking about seedling efforts or new Daylily you all might be starting this winter. thought came up with my ed brown x high octane seedlings today,
As you can tell I am happy enough to bust!!lol What say ,any convo?
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 27, 2012
3:39 AM

Post #9316691

Not me. I stopped doing seeds indoors about 3 years ago. Now I sow in pots outdoors in mid May and then in August I transplant them into the seedling beds. I have had good germination. The tets give me a bit more trouble germinating than the dips.

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 27, 2012
5:51 AM

Post #9316745

I will be starting some indoors about mid february.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 27, 2012
4:26 PM

Post #9317279

Starting in pots sounds like a great idea. I have no room in the house to start seeds, so the pot method would work great for me.

Karen

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

October 27, 2012
4:46 PM

Post #9317297

My thing about the lights or indoors was some of mine were ready to grow I am not sure about how they would do outside now,and since they have germinated I thought I would try to grow them indoors in pots.
I guess I will find out next spring about the ones planted outside ,which really is my preferred method. Not good with perennial plants indoors ,never have been.
Just a bit of fun and convo ; while maybe learning a thing or so.
obliqua
Pittsburgh, PA

October 27, 2012
7:04 PM

Post #9317433

I have seedling of Juana Maria X Wind Frills growing under lights. A few of them have "white" leaves. Are they going to be variegated or is something wrong with them????

Thumbnail by obliqua
Click the image for an enlarged view.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

October 27, 2012
7:49 PM

Post #9317471

I do not know, that is interesting. Maybe some here will reply to help this along. I have had some that looked similar,early roots do not seem to absorb enough nutrients to make chlorophyll ,I do not feed mine as the few I have tried to feed more withered or died.
My guess is root development is going slow and the seedlings will grow out of it, I have seen many that looked that way to begin.
Could be light but I do not think so ,as they would not be growing like they are if it were.
Maybe the lightest drop of nitrogen on one to find out .That I have done without severe consequences .

Nice little root crowns on those seedlings.
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 28, 2012
4:20 AM

Post #9317685

The albino ones eventually die because they can't make chlorophyl(sp?) to survive.
obliqua
Pittsburgh, PA

October 28, 2012
10:20 AM

Post #9317944

I am feeding them super thrive. So far they all look like they are growing. I will keep you informed.

Judy

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 28, 2012
11:24 AM

Post #9318011

Good luck, obliqua. I imagine the white ones will die off if they don't turn green soon.

Karen
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 28, 2012
1:07 PM

Post #9318135

I let my seeds dry up in paper envelopes until late fall. I usually plant them outdoors Thanksgiving weekend. I had at least 90% germination last fall.

I prepare the bed in October. Then, I just put them in about half inch deep. One theory is that the "evergreen" seeds will go ahead and germinate, and will die over winter, so you are left with SE and dormant. I was taught this method by Charles Applegate, breeder of "Blessing" and Dottie Warrell, breeder of "Holly Dancer" -- and Curt Hanson does thousands of seed this way every year.

They come up mid to late April.

This message was edited Oct 29, 2012 1:10 AM

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 28, 2012
5:20 PM

Post #9318349

OMG, daylily_ohio, that sounds like the best way ever! I think I'll do that. I can get a bed prepared next weekend. As the weather report stands at this point, it's supposed to be good weather.

Karen
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 28, 2012
5:26 PM

Post #9318356

nutsfordaylily -- note do NOT try this if your seed has been refrigerated. Only for seed that has been dried since collecting. I had total crop failure with refrigerated seed that a friend gave me a few years ago.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 28, 2012
5:39 PM

Post #9318372

Okay, good to know. My seed has been refrigerated. Then in that case I will start in the ground in the spring, as soon as the soil is warm enough.

Karen

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

October 28, 2012
6:03 PM

Post #9318386

This has got me thinking I should go out to the garden and retrieve a few I have planted,A couple of them are germinated and the old ones have now ceased to growing for the season.
It's cold enough that nothing is growing much from here on this year ,but I will re read some of this as I seemed to of missed of something, about the how and time of why of this.
Practice is every and all as always.
AUTUMN SOJOURNXSAILING AT DAWN Is the one growing outside I DO NOT WANT TO LOSE ANY i DO NOT HAVE TO!

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 28, 2012
7:07 PM

Post #9318465

Good luck with yours, juhur7. I'm sure all will be fine.

Karen

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

November 15, 2012
7:31 PM

Post #9334336

I had that about the fever thing and bought more seeds!! I thought I post here as the LA discussion has gone to plants I brought a couple back inside to do under lights, they were to small the constant cold wet weather.When I saw some root fungus starting I brought them in and sulpher dipped their earth. Being explained to me the hard way why so many spring outdoors start their seeds.
I have a had a time remembering some things ,only as long as I manage half or more of the ones I have indoors I am feeling way ahead , although I would be delighted (and prefer) all and every one to survive. Most will anyway. Yes I am hearing a few chickens before they have hatched there>

Oh Well live and learn...

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 15, 2012
7:46 PM

Post #9334345

Juhur, I did that last year due to lack of time to put them in the ground during late spring. Whatever survive outside this winter survive.

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 15, 2012
8:17 PM

Post #9334374

I'll bet those seedlings will be fine, Mike. I hope you get to see a lot bloom next year. It'll be like Christmas!

Karen

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 17, 2012
4:00 AM

Post #9335258

Karen thanks for the support. LOL!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

November 17, 2012
2:52 PM

Post #9335706

I think so also, that will be more colorful than a box of rainbow skittles. Those little plants only have to be a couple of inches tall with a little root crown to survive,tough plant a Daylily is.
That is from with experience with my older unknowns, new plants are somewhat different ,only still strong.
I really do wish I knew what my unknown peach yellow was(or is) it has a larger bloom and has made up to 9 seeds pods ,5 to 7 about usual though. (I LIKE IT!!)

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

November 17, 2012
3:10 PM

Post #9335719

The flower in the pic is nice looks like Annettes magic x Willa Mae but I bet it is newer still. A clue?

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 18, 2012
8:05 AM

Post #9336147

Inimitable, opening up on a cold morning. Got this one last year. It rebloomed last year and this year here in Z:5

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

November 18, 2012
10:48 PM

Post #9336788

Re- bloomers are nice.. that is a pretty one! Ever blooming- up and coming in number are making me wait and wonder!!

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

November 19, 2012
10:34 AM

Post #9337207

I will start a few seeds in January or February since I already have many seedlings from 2010 and 2011 some which have bloomed. I also have many iris seedlings so short on space.

I use the Deno method for all my seeds.

I first soak them in hand hot water to plump them up and soften the seedcoat.

I use a damp kitchen paper towel, cut in half and moistened. Squeeze out the excess water. Fold it in half. Place the seeds in a corner and fold one end over the seeds. Place this package in a small ziplock bag and zip it, leaving a small opening to blow air into the bag to fill like a balloon. Once filled, zip it closed. Place in fridge crisper for 3 weeks to stratify the seeds. After 2 weeks, check to see if any have begun to sprout, which often they do. After 3 weeks, move to room temp to germinate.

NOTE: To stratify in the fridge the seeds need moisture, like Nature intended.

Sprouting time depends on variety. At this point, check the seeds several times during the week, starting after the 3rd day. As soon as seeds have formed a radical (tiny roots forming) with a tweezer grasp the seed casing of those and transfer to seed flat or pot. Make a hole with a pencil and guide the root into the hole. Plant at so the seed is 1/4" below the surface, 1" or more, apart. Be sure to place roots downwards in the hole. If the roots have grown into the paper towel, just tear around the roots and plant it. Do not try to remove the roots from the paper. The paper will eventually rot. This method gives me almost 100% germination.

Once they sprout, I transplant them to a 6-pack and place it in my light stand until I can acclimate them outdoors in my outside plant stand, then plant outside end of May.

1] seeds sprouted in paper towel, prior to potting up
2] potted seedlings in 6-pack
3] 6 weeks old planted in 3" foam cup
4] potted seedling acclimated to outdoors
5] healthy root system of potted seedlings in May prior to planting in nursery.

Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma
Click an image for an enlarged view.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

November 19, 2012
10:54 AM

Post #9337213

And here are seedlings growing in my nurseries. Needlss to say, I have enough seedlings for now. However, I harvested some pods from my crosses of new Daylilies purchased from Blue Ridge that I want to sow. Got to keep the suspense going. LOL!

1] My first time germinating and planting seedlings in 2009. These were mainly my own Diploid crosses
2] Seeds purchased on LA sown October 2010, planted May 2011 in coldframe.
3] More seeds from LA sown October 2011, planted May 2012.

Edited to add that the 3rd photo shows iris seedling on the right side of the photo planted 2012.

This message was edited Nov 19, 2012 11:58 AM

Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma      

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

November 19, 2012
11:35 AM

Post #9337231

The reason I use the Deno method is that it gives me more control over germination. Wyoming with its wind, dry heat, clay soil, is not a great place to direct sow. Soil dries out too quickly and surface becomes hard. I don't ever sow alll the seeds from one pod so if some don't germinate, I will know and can resow those.

If I sow in pots, I would have to worry about te soil drying out, the reason I don't do it that way. I have seeds from LA that were not exactly cheap in price so I don't want to lose them.

Below are a few photos of daylily seedling that bore their maiden bloom this year.

Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 20, 2012
4:15 AM

Post #9337827

Blomma, the third one is my fav. Nice!

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

November 21, 2012
8:38 PM

Post #9339551

Mike, that one has very wide petals. I love the 1st and 2nd ones and will see how they do next season. The 2nd one had very fertile pollen that seemed to pollinate every flower I crossed it with. I didn't try to pollinate it since it was its maiden blooms.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 22, 2012
12:11 PM

Post #9339993

I like that third one as well. It has my vote.

Karen

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

November 25, 2012
9:36 AM

Post #9341968

Thanks Mike and Sharon

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

December 8, 2012
3:31 AM

Post #9352794

Blooma, thanks for posting all the good information about seeds. I just bought my first daylily seeds and I was browsing for information.
Your seedlings look very healthy and you sure have a lot going on, to me anyway. What is the name of the little green house shelf system you have?
Love that red flower with the wide petals.

susan

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

December 8, 2012
6:48 AM

Post #9352864

Virginia,
Don't remember the name of it but bought it in a Dollar store. Ebay have it for the same price and free ship. Just search "plant stand".

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

December 8, 2012
7:03 AM

Post #9352884

WhooHoo!! .. thanks. :)
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 8, 2012
7:58 AM

Post #9352930

Nice seedlings, very healthy looking.

I was just over seeing if anyone had left me any of Jamies seeds that were up today. Thats a big negative. Ive got my fingers crossed he has alot more where those came from.

I can plant seeds from now thru next august and they will all bloom at the same time...spring 2014. The ones I planted this august are actually looking really nice. Hope to get something good this spring. I wasnt so jazzed about this springs batch.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

December 28, 2012
9:06 AM

Post #9369010

I just finished preparing DL seeds to stick in the fridge for 2 weeks. Most are from my own crosses, a few from LA. I am again using the Deno method (see above) which is the safest method for my climate and clay soil. By the time end of May comes, the seedlings will be old enough to be planted in my nursery, and mature enough to survive next winter.

As soon as they sprou, they will be grown under lights until May

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

December 29, 2012
10:23 PM

Post #9370271

Okay this is the thread where we were talking about the white leaf seedlings that die eventually . I have one of those(white leaves) and something interesting? has occurred.
The seeds sprouted on top of soil so the roots can be seen (antennae looking roots) have sprouted a small green root leaf?So now the seedling will be making chlorophyll,interesting this is to me anyway, a wait and see...
A secret AH ..HA!!! maybe? A chance to learn something? oh yes!!! , I enjoy that!!

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 30, 2012
6:08 AM

Post #9370368

Juhur7, I must say that I enjoy reading your comments. With 15f outside I must find something to do indoors to keep me sane. Oh yes! The to do list! Exploring the never before seen plants and gardening ideas on the internet. Oh yea, DW is watching, can't do that. LOL! Now where is the to do list ? Happy New Year everyone. May all your flowers bloom in 2013 with reckless abandon. May your health allow you to keep up with all the joys of life. Mike

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 30, 2012
10:40 AM

Post #9370570

Will be interested to see how your seedling does, juhur7.

Mike that's a pretty daylily. Which one is it? Reminds me of AUTUMN WOOD.

Karen

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 30, 2012
11:55 AM

Post #9370640

Karen you are one of the smartest person I know. You are right again

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

December 30, 2012
12:09 PM

Post #9370656

First of all to say, thank you you all gratefully for the very nice comments,, praise
Mike your saved photos, shared, and pretties also, and your interest has lightened my day and hum drum moods a few times;
Karen your photos also , brighten it all up on "gray" days'

I was wondering if those white leaf seedling happen from acids, algae gel ,and so forth having been used some time in the plants history. Genetic hormone leftover from cell manipulation? makes the root cell chemicals more active and carrying on in the plant,(and transferring to the seed) After all we have all experienced the occasional upside down seedling (a genetic trait,) that righted itself.
The more developed the bloom variety (the more expensive also) the more that seems to happen,(white seedlings)
I bruised a couple green seedlings and one has grown back to normal (for a small seedling) I am wondering if when or anymore of these white seedlings occur ,^ about bruising them to see if the same thing happens ,that maybe it will cause a green leaf shoot to happen, and "break" the no chlorophyll syndrome.. As long as the roots look strong enough
(the roots usually do) I am contemplating giving a (bruising method a try) So far just letting the roots run around on the surface seems to have something to do with breaking an unwanted syndrome that has carried to the seed attempts.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

December 30, 2012
12:33 PM

Post #9370671

This is destined to be my possible favorite stumbled into of 2013.. lol

I would ask all of you how the flower beds went and are coming along , only with all things quite in the garden this time of year , I doubt that would go far) All of you here and these threads brighten up weekends and evenings..

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

December 30, 2012
5:48 PM

Post #9370872

juhur7
Year 2010 daylily sowing produced 2 albino seedlings. I got all excited thinking that I had something special, like a variegated DL. No such luck. I was told that it will live only until it had used up its chloryphyll (sp?). Sure enough, it lasted about 3 weeks and slowly died.

Needless to say, I was disappointed. Below is the albino.

Thumbnail by blomma

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 30, 2012
5:55 PM

Post #9370876

Juhur7, since there is no gardening outside (for us anyway) you can always experiment inside. Barring some miracle you will move on to the next project. LOL! If you need more seeds to play with I have some to share. I try to pass most of my time by reading a lot of articles mainly on gardening on the net. You tube is also a good source of free videos. I watched a few last week by a Mr Gilliam on taking Dahlia cuttings during the winter. It was very interesting. There is tons of stuff on there also on daylilies.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 30, 2012
8:08 PM

Post #9370974

LOL! Don't know how smart I am, Mike, but I do know some of my daylilies. I may be somewhat smart, but I'm awfully darn forgetful.

I sure wish I could start some daylilies inside, but I just don't have the room. I'll have to see what I can do.

Karen

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

December 30, 2012
10:50 PM

Post #9371034

Karen, why not start them inside the way I do it. If you get a 2ft long plant light and mount a 2ft shelf on the wall, you will have plenty of room for DL. Replant them in a 6-pack that Walmart sells. You live in a warmer zone than I so by April you should be able to plant outside. I have to wait till end of May. You can also place the pots in a clear plastic bin and give them morning sun to acclimate them.

Edited to add that the seedlings in the 6-pack was planted there after sprouting in moist paper towel.

If there is a will, there is a way.

My 5 stages for seedlings.
1] in 6-pack
2] in 3" foam cup
3] under flourecent plant light, shelf mounted on wall, sharing with iris seedlings.
4] clear plastic bin to acclimate the seedlings before planting
5] Purchased from Dollar Store to replace the bin. Holds 156 seedlings in 3" pot.

This message was edited Dec 30, 2012 11:55 PM

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

December 30, 2012
11:02 PM

Post #9371037

blomma Well we will find out shortly if my idea works or not,I am really hoping the idea works,,, It may take a few times to find out for sure.

HazelCrestMikeB Mike i have a few packages of Daylily seeds remaining in the fridge I hope to get too. I will always be happy to exchange a few with you if I show you something you like. These are mostly crosses from the L.A.

nutsfordaylily ; Indeed Karen you seem to know your your Daylilies , You will have to tell this spring how your pink Daylily flower bed has become, We all forget things !lol Age is always around to remind us though!!! Isn't it.

The low light level of the Albino , you can see a root sprig towards the front of the pot that is green ,it does not look that way in the pic ,but I assure you it is , The green fellow in the water bottle is a Puffer fish x Dragon fang the only one of five that has germinated and sprouted.

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

December 30, 2012
11:25 PM

Post #9371043

Nice pics blomma, I do not do close ups well ,obviously!lol
Your seedlings in the pic look really nice.
There is a Dahlia sitting in another corner also..lol you all been watching me!!?LOL only joking of course , perceptive of you though...
Pets woke me up,, almost cross posted.
hostages
Wyoming, MN

December 31, 2012
6:54 AM

Post #9371201

Blomma

I often get albino seedlings from my Strawberry Candy crosses.

Gary

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 31, 2012
12:19 PM

Post #9371466

Juhur in regards to the seeds, I didn't have trading in mind because I have a lot.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

December 31, 2012
12:44 PM

Post #9371491

A few bucks and a Christmas Holiday card HUH?...LOL Just joking, I would not mind having a few like the Autumn Wood or a couple you have shown. I love the new Daylily forms and blooms , and I am very appreciative of your generosity.
Not every one would offer ,most kind..:-)
When time and space permit, and my self energy levels, we might discuss this some more

In the meantime Happy new year , it's snowing again ,,on me here as I type this, another 3 inches for New Year's Day

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 31, 2012
3:23 PM

Post #9371655

we are still waiting for our first significant snow. I'll be here.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 31, 2012
4:33 PM

Post #9371726

Blomma, that's a nice idea, but I really have no space to mount shelves on a wall. Hmmm... maybe I could use the bookshelves in the hallway. I recently got rid of a lot of books in there, and there are some shelves that are clear. I could possibly mount some lights in there. I've thought about setting up some shelving in the cellar, but it's not heated down there. Don't know what the temp usually is down there. It's a damp cellar, and floods on rare occasions. I just don't like going up and down those steep stairs going down there. I have a bad ankle and bad knees.

Juhur7, I will be interested myself to see how my pink bed looks. It's not all daylilies, though, I have some pink rambler roses in there, a pink hydrangea that I added this year. and several other pink perennials. I usually add some pink annuals to the mix, too. I especially love this pink gomphrena called 'Fireworks': http://www.burpee.com/flowers/gomphrena/gomphrena-fireworks-prod000219.html#null . My pink beds are still a work in progress. I have a lot of non-pink daylilies that need to be switched around with pink ones. I'll get more done in this new year.

Karen

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

January 2, 2013
10:06 AM

Post #9373186

Here's a couple more of no chlorophyll syndrome, it is turning green , although could be better , little yet..

You still can not tell all that from the pics , I would not want to try this method often but if it works , it will do , A lot greener than a few days ago although it does not show through the camera lens.
I added some heavy nitrogen to the bag , that got results.
A few weeks to go before I know? Yes small and stringy , but alive... big roots though!!

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7      

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

January 2, 2013
4:16 PM

Post #9373501

See, Karen, where there is a will, there is a way. LOL! Put that bookshelf to use.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

January 2, 2013
10:02 PM

Post #9373789

I am still wondering about this Albino no chlorophyll syndrome. Maybe I should ask some genetic x hybridization persons who have the hormone that creates leaves as to why that might block and the root hormone stays predominant (As far as my amateur self can configure that is what is going on)
This syndrome seems to have an answer ,only it requires more attention, and the plant is not likely to grow as fast as it usually would. Of course that would not matter much to someone use to growing plants in tubes and gel.
It is that it has to be done in pots and covers at least ,and because most of the time when it happens outside in a garden , you will have to dig them up so roots could grow on the surface and a few techniques under cover to keep the plant alive, ETC it seems like much to do, if it something special I guess it is well worth the effort ,if this plant lives it going to be a much longer wait to maturity and full blooms . OH GOODNESS patience I don't have is everything once in a while.
Maybe the leaf hormone is also an answer , will get to that next, I don't want to go that far if there is plain & simple solve.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

January 3, 2013
3:37 PM

Post #9374501

A noted question very concerning about this, I am having contemplation as to ;Why is this albino , no chlorophyll syndrome the same atomic weight as Daylily fungus..? How do I change the atomic weight of the plant?
ANY Scientists here?
Any would be Scientists?
Any body with any idea or comment?
Yes to the next question ,I am ate up (LOL)
good evening to you all... ideas? my goodness :-)

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

January 3, 2013
4:06 PM

Post #9374521

juhur7
You must have heard of albino humans. Something in their genes though I doubt it is genetic. If scientist haven't been able to figure that out, or treat someone, I doubt albino plants are on their minds. The difference is that albino humans live on, plants don't.

Here is another thought for you. Variegated plants ex. hostas, iris pallida, Hoya, etc. all produce white in their leaves. My Hoya variegata produces many all white leaves along with green on the same branch. Most plants that are variegated grow slower than their green counterparts all due to less chlorophyll production, I believe.

This message was edited Jan 3, 2013 8:13 PM

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 3, 2013
8:34 PM

Post #9374765

I bought an albino hosta once called White Feather. It starts as all white, but then turns more green as the season progresses, as it's the only way it can survive. It died out after about a year or so, though. Don't know if anyone else has had luck with that one.

Karen

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 4, 2013
4:32 AM

Post #9374915

Karen, mine have a different name. It does turn green as the season progress. I am going to leave it in place one more year before I divide it. Before it turn green it does look a little ratty.

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 4, 2013
4:37 AM

Post #9374918

Here is a 2011 pic

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

January 9, 2013
7:03 PM

Post #9380570

That is definitely white,!!!! I seem to have a no go germination with one little set of my seeds,
The little albino is still alive, seems to be trying to turn green., yeah, I know (big deal huh??)lol

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 12, 2013
6:37 PM

Post #9383154

That's pretty, Mike. How long have you had it?

Karen

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 13, 2013
9:50 AM

Post #9383651

Karen, I believe I got it in the fall of 2009 or 10. The paper work is here somewhere.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 16, 2013
8:25 AM

Post #9387063

Nice. It's lasted a little while, though. I think I had my White Feather maybe 2 years before it bit the dust. :(

Karen

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 18, 2013
4:41 AM

Post #9388913

Bought this cross from Dablaw on the LA. Looking for some tall ones from this cross to give me a base.HILDIGUNN X ROGNVALDUR. Stats on the pod = Mahieu / Burris '07, 8.5", 54", DOR, DIP, Mid season. Pollen = Mahieu '03, 6.5", 70", DOR, DIP, Mid-Late season. Ext.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

January 18, 2013
7:56 AM

Post #9389085

The daylilies I started with the Deno method are beginning to sprout in paper towels so I know what I will be doing today---potting.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 20, 2013
9:15 PM

Post #9391949

Nice Blomma!

Mike, that sounds like a great cross. Hopefully you'll get some good ones out of that.

Karen

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 21, 2013
5:08 AM

Post #9392070

Karen I hope so too. Blomma, good luck on the new sdlgs. I am going to sort thru my seeds to determine which ones get the most attention this February. I know for sure that "Ron Wilson's Online Garden Party - (Chicken On The Run x Bass Gibson) X Forestlake Ragamuffin" will be up there.

This message was edited Jan 21, 2013 12:44 PM

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB   Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB         

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 21, 2013
11:10 AM

Post #9392471

Nice!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

January 21, 2013
11:14 AM

Post #9392478

I am enjoying this:-)

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

January 21, 2013
1:13 PM

Post #9392627

Thanks Mike, Below are the crosses just potted up over the weekend. The last photo are 2 seedling crosses that bloomed this year from a 2009 sowing.

More to come as they sprout.

This message was edited Jan 21, 2013 2:14 PM

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

January 24, 2013
10:55 PM

Post #9396865

juhur7
Well, darn it, a albino sprouted its ugly head. I will allow some growth. It will die on its own.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

January 25, 2013
4:43 AM

Post #9396926

Just call me JINX !!! lol
No ,not really , would not wish that on any .
Mine is still alive by the way... the albino ... lol

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

January 28, 2013
5:23 PM

Post #9400610

Hm... mine is about an inch in height.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2013
8:58 AM

Post #9403737

Well today officially would like to report the death of one albino seedling , it is now white molding in it 's grave ,,
About four out five of my seedlings are well, that's good for me ,, not great ,but good ,,
As with most things from seed , when I finally and rarely get something nice , I am always wondering what might of been about the losses...
One puffer fish cross growing happily
And two crimson cowboy crosses one which is doing well , the two I am most concerned about .. I am hoping they become something nice ,,,
In this particular instance , the names mentioned are pod parents , have a couple of others where they are pollen parents
""JUST rambling and ranting and hoping""

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

January 31, 2013
10:23 PM

Post #9404474

We can have a joint funeral for our albinos. Mine looks like it is on its way out. Yours lasted quite a long time.
I also have a Puffer Fish cross. Got it from the Lily Auction

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2013
10:31 PM

Post #9404478

AS I am up and seem to be here , sounds all right to me ,only no need to send flowers is there, in this case ,

How was your germination with that cross ? pod or pollen parent ?.. Mine was not as good as could be... .

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

February 6, 2013
9:38 PM

Post #9410817

I have no idea what happened to thos I sowed. So, I am resowing them since I have 2 seeds left. Must have lost the first 3.

My albino went to daylily heaven
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 7, 2013
7:13 AM

Post #9411025

Wow, has anyone seen how the cost of international postage has gone up??? Used to be $3, now $6.55. I have a lot of customers that this will hurt. This is ridiculous. They are now charging package rates for padded envelopes. I could understand a dollar or so increase but to more than double it??

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

February 7, 2013
9:19 AM

Post #9411130

Well with the Post Office in financial trouble , it is not surprising , Regular mail is up another penny , expect more,, Saturday delivery ended here last week also ..
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 7, 2013
12:18 PM

Post #9411266

Saturday delivery is not supposed to end here until August.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

February 7, 2013
1:27 PM

Post #9411334

You remember Poland and eastern Europe in the 60's and 70's ? LIKE 5 to 7 Dollars for a first class stamp? EEEEKKK!!!!!

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

February 7, 2013
9:36 PM

Post #9411734

Why the heck didn't the post office figure to be closed on Saturdays before they got in too deep in financial trouble. They have been talking about that for a few years. Why wait so long. Personally, I don't care if I don't get mail on Saturday. I will get it on Mondays.

The more they charge, the less they will get. The only people that really needs the post office are those who ships merchandize. Unfortunately, that can't be done via the Internet. Sigh!

They also discontinued Parcel Post. It is now Parcel Select but it can't be used online until March, at least not with Ebay. You have to go to the post office to get it.

This message was edited Feb 7, 2013 10:39 PM
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 8, 2013
5:29 AM

Post #9411845

I don't remember those high prices in the 70's but I just think it is shameful that we are making all our international customers pay for our mistakes.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

February 26, 2013
7:52 PM

Post #9433116

Here's a pick of a puffer cross , some others died> when I set this under some light with some centaurea seedlings it took off growing good,
I am still learning seems some like more light and heat than the ones I already have.. Not a real good pic , but better than my usual..lol

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7         

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

February 26, 2013
9:44 PM

Post #9433175

Ju, why don't you grow the daylily seedlings in its own little pot. It may grow better if it doesn't have to share with other plants.

I don't know what kind of camera you have but perhaps you are too close to the subject that is why it is blurry. Unless a camera have a setting for closeup or macro, the photo will come out blurry. The 2 above are a bit clearer than your others.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

February 26, 2013
9:54 PM

Post #9433180

Too much light for the setting , and it is growing with these while the others of the same died in their own.
My Mistakes This particular ; more light
more heat
different soil mix
It is a saved from a mistake , Like I posted earlier , there is a difference,(from others I have)
Even if it is small ,,it is alive ... and will likely stay that way
Some of these have a slightly different preference than what I have grown (referring to the newer Daylily) I am surprised..!!!
Only I know it now!!!lol

This message was edited Feb 27, 2013 1:55 AM

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 28, 2013
4:35 AM

Post #9434277

I think the plastic contributed to the blurr. I gotta get my seeds started soon!
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 28, 2013
5:07 AM

Post #9434288

Just did an inventory on my sponges, so I can get my seed overload from the fall started. They have a rough time in the heat of the summer, but if I keep them mostly in the shade, they should be fine. This summer Im doing barely any crosses of my own. It will be hard not to dab that pollen, but it is so hard on the plants, I want more bloom and especially rebloom this summer. I always end up planting the ones I buy first, I know what my plants look like and the seeds from different plants entice me more.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

March 17, 2013
12:03 AM

Post #9451970

gardenglory,
Why don't you sow seeds in the Fall following harvesting. Then they would be large enough to plant before hot weather in Florida.

I sow mine in Oct to Nov by stratifying them in the fridge for 2 weeks. Planted to grow under lights until warm enough to place with morning sun. End of May I plant them in my nursery. By that time they have been in a 3" pot and developed a great root system.

I just cleaned my borders yesterday and all is well with my iris and daylily seedlings. Many of the irises are growing side fans.

1]Photo below is the daylily nursery. They were planted May 30, 2012. They survived the winter and I can see green under the surface. Iris on the right side in portable coldframe.

2nd] photo is the roots prior to planting in nursery May 30

Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma         

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

March 17, 2013
12:06 AM

Post #9451971

Below are the 2013 seedlings. Some are my own crosses, others are from LA

Thumbnail by blomma

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

March 17, 2013
3:54 AM

Post #9452017

Looking good there!:-) Not much as delightful as a tray full of seedlings!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

March 24, 2013
11:32 AM

Post #9460223

Here the saved daylily from the pot pic that was not too good.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

March 24, 2013
11:45 AM

Post #9460236

ju,
I don't grow my daylilies in trays.
Your seedling looks good. If the leaves are touching the lights, just trim back. All my daylily leaves gets a haircut. It does not hurt them.

Your photo is nice and clear.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

March 24, 2013
12:11 PM

Post #9460259

Better camera ,better light . I was asking as your light on the other thread , looked like a Sunbox (was wondering )

Allright at it once I learn or know what I am doing>>>

This message was edited Mar 24, 2013 3:12 PM

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

March 24, 2013
1:02 PM

Post #9460308

ju,
Not a sunbox, just a shelf on my plant stand with flourescent plant lights. Have had it since 1980.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

April 16, 2013
12:57 PM

Post #9486209

These look a little better than the pic , just thought I would though A couple from seed started this winter, after a system crash a few weeks ago I will have to retrieve the file to know for sure which ones they are , oh well , just to say they grew and are growing . I guess ..

Thumbnail by juhur7

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 20, 2013
7:21 PM

Post #9491329

Looking good juhur7 and blomma! Blomma, you have such neat and tidy seedling beds.

Karen
ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

April 22, 2013
6:02 AM

Post #9492866

I just popped in and read this thread. You all are awesome!. I love to grow daylilies from seed. Last year I decided I would try some from fresh seed. So I planted them the minute I found the pod and they germinated within about a week and have been growing ever since. I think the pod parent was Joylene Nicole, but I am not positive. I am anxiously awaiting this year's blooming season.

Linda

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

April 22, 2013
8:21 AM

Post #9493063

Thanks Karen. Most likely planted them too close. But I am short on space. Have 70 new DL seedlings to plant end of May---somewhere...

Linda,
How did you get them to sprout that fast? Usually they need stratification (moist cold) for 2 weeks before they sprout. Maybe it depends on their foliage habit---dormant or evergreen. I have never tried to plant them out in my zone 4 garden with clay soil.

You will have to post photos when they bloom. In my zone, I have to wait at least 2 years. You are in a much warmer zone than I with a longer growing season.

I have seedlings that sprouted in 2009, planted in coldframe 2010 that should all bloom this year, their 3rd year. A few did last year---pictured in a post above.

Why does the weatherman have to be right? We have 4" of snow on the ground with more coming. Yesterday was nice and sunny. Was out pruning back my roses. Grrrr...!!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

April 22, 2013
9:51 AM

Post #9493147

My crosses that were winter sown are sprouting now , they have been for a abut a week or slightly more. Nice to see the new green sprouts..!
ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

April 23, 2013
4:54 AM

Post #9494118

Blomma, The only thing that I did was to sow the seeds immediately in a 3" pot ( only because it was handy and clean) . I watered the pot and let it drain and then set the pot in a zip lock baggie on a table in my garden shed where a flourescent light is on 24/7 ( only because it is direct wired and I can't turn it off). I didn't open the baggie until the seedlings were about 4" tall. then I moved them outside and into a 4" pot. Last week, I found them on my potting table.

I don't know what I would do with the winter's you all have had. We have had a tremendous amount of rain so I moved my succulents back inside on a sand bed hoping to draw some of the water out before I lose them.

I have 2 crosses that should bloom for me this year. I can't wait to see what they turn out to be.
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

April 23, 2013
8:41 AM

Post #9494336

I never give seeds cold water stratification and I get at least 90% germination. The seeds that give me the most trouble germination are tets. I may try that this year on them and on some older seeds.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

April 23, 2013
3:23 PM

Post #9494786

Linda,
I wonder if it is your climate zone. Ofcourse, I have never tried it any other way. I started with DL seeds the same time I discovered Deno method. After I soak them overnight in handhot water, I place the seeds in a moist kitchen towel cut into 4 squares and wrap them up. One square for each type of seeds. Then it is placed in a small ziplock bag and stored in the fridge for 2 weeks. They usually sprout within 2 weeks at room temp.

Hemlady,
You do it another successful way. Actually I don't do cold water stratification, I do moist cold stratification. The soaking is hand hot water overnight.

Yes tets are a bit harder, but they sprout with my method quite easily.

There may be many ways to get DL to sprout, so do whatever workd for you.

Edited to add that the photo is of Tets taken in December 2012, just prior to potting in 6-packs.

This message was edited Apr 23, 2013 3:25 PM

Thumbnail by blomma

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

April 23, 2013
3:36 PM

Post #9494797

These are new seedlings tiny about a week and and a half old , I have about fifteen groups similar to these.

ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

April 23, 2013
7:06 PM

Post #9495063

I always found that if I pre-germinated the seeds on paper towels and then planted them in the soil, it seemed to take twice as long. Then I started soaking them in hot water overnight and then putting them in the fridge for 3 weeks. A lot of the seeds would germinate in the fridge. Then I would plant them and it seemed like they came up in no time at all.
I do have a very long growing season. Maybe that is why it helps so much.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

April 23, 2013
9:23 PM

Post #9495179

ibartoo
That is what I have been writing about and I do also. i think the soaking helps. Now have 100 seedlings that I have under light till mid-May when they will go on the east side of my garage to acclimate before planting May 31.

Jur, glad you have some sprouting for you. What are they growing in and where?

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

April 23, 2013
9:31 PM

Post #9495183

They are outside growing in front of some other flowers , Little white paper compost boxes torn open on the bottom and filled with a compost mix, all that was done last fall .
Jerry Nettles x When Royals Dream are those shown there ..

This message was edited Apr 24, 2013 12:33 AM
ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

April 24, 2013
4:33 AM

Post #9495312

I had a strelitzia seedling that came up as an albino and I just let it grow, it finally turned green. I wonder if daylily albino seedlings would do the same things. I am planning to soak some today and then start some soon. I will let you know how well they grow.

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 24, 2013
6:19 AM

Post #9495427

ibartoo, from what I have read here the albino daylily seedlings live for awhile and then die. You never know, there's always a first. Mike

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

April 24, 2013
7:56 PM

Post #9496213

hemlady, juhur7 and I can attest to the fact that albino DL seedling will die since they can't produce chlorophyll (sp?) so they die.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

April 24, 2013
8:16 PM

Post #9496241

I had one last fall showing white variegation , unfortunately it rotted away , This is the third wettest April in history here .
Maybe that is what happened ,a strong variegation looking all white had shaded green that later turned more visual .???

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

April 25, 2013
4:42 AM

Post #9496408

I appreciate the information here! But, I still have not gotten any to sprout. The last ones molded. :((
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

April 25, 2013
5:30 AM

Post #9496436

Oh I already knew that Blomma. I have had some white seedlings before and they always die. Thanks.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

April 25, 2013
8:17 PM

Post #9497384

hemlady wrote:Oh I already knew that Blomma. I have had some white seedlings before and they always die. Thanks.

LOL, I know you knew that. You ae the one that told me. What I meant was that you, Jur, and I all know that they die.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

April 25, 2013
8:19 PM

Post #9497385

virginiarose wrote:I appreciate the information here! But, I still have not gotten any to sprout. The last ones molded. :((

Sorry that you haven't any sprouting yet. Maybe if you tell us how you are doing it, we can advise you and/or maybe see why they aren't sprouting for you. They are actually not hard to get going.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

April 25, 2013
8:25 PM

Post #9497393

virginiarose There are three of the reasons for that (the mold )
1 The seeds are no good .
2 the seeds are to warm
3 the air circulation or the soil is wrong .. These are the three most common reasons ... patience is all ..

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

April 27, 2013
6:10 PM

Post #9499309

Thanks all, they were in the refrigerator on a wet paper towel. That was in the winter. I have no idea why I did that, maybe advice from some one gone wrong?
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 27, 2013
6:31 PM

Post #9499321

I still use no other method than parks sponges. Its about 100% for me, so if it aint broke, Im not going to fix it. I know people do all sorts of things, but sticking a seed in a hole is as complicated as it gets for me. Ill take some pictures of some I planted about 6 weeks ago tomorrow. If I had an abundance of my own seeds, I might try something else and not care if I loose a few. I buy most of mine and so I dont have a ton. I try to stick to 120 a year...the sponges come in trays of 60. Its hard to stick to only 120 seedlings, but 120 to plant out is more than I really want to do.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

April 27, 2013
7:25 PM

Post #9499358

Stratifacation on wet paper towels in the fridge , referred to as the Deno method ,, That is why? I have better luck planting them , if you need to stratify , set them in the fridge already planted , Or make an easy to I.D. place outside and late fall wintersow .
I will admit I don't do better than 50% germination doing that , I am not that good or lucky , only it does give me my moments ...

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

April 27, 2013
8:26 PM

Post #9499387

Ju,
you can plant them. I will stick to the Deno method.

1] Sprouting in a moist kitchen towel prior to potting.
2] Last year's crop
3] These will bloom this year
4] To bloom next year.

Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma   

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

April 27, 2013
8:30 PM

Post #9499389

Below are this year's crop photo taken March 2013.

Thumbnail by blomma

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

April 28, 2013
4:55 AM

Post #9499553

I am learning something new, I have never heard of parks sponges. I was trying to sprout them but I do not know why they molded and never even thought of sprouting. :( They were laughing at me. :(

Blooma, you do make it look easy! I do not know if something needs a cold strat or not. Should I stick them all in the frig?

juhur7, through process of elimination I have decided that mine had poor air circulation, I think the zip loc bag was a mistake!

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

April 28, 2013
8:11 AM

Post #9499752

virginia,
I use ziploc bags to hold the damp kitchen paper towel in containing seeds. If your seeds rotted it was from too much moisture, but could also be from non-viable seeds. Once in awhile, I will have a rotted seeds in with some that sprouted. Tells me it was not a good seed since the others were fine.

Most of my seeds came from the Lily Auction. Daylily seeds do best, and sprout quicker if placed in the fridge (stratification) as described, for 2 weeks. They will sprout within 2 weeks in room temp, still in the baggie.

Use whatever works for you.

gardenglory,
Sponges I have never tried. Nor have I heard of them. Be interesting to check them out. Parks seeds, you wrote. I too have limited seeds and not exactlly cheap.

I never sow all my seeds at one time due to garden space. Usually only 3 at at time from the same cross due to shrinking garden space.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 28, 2013
8:48 AM

Post #9499787

These are some seedling I started about 6 weeks ago. They should be growing faster, but its been so cool.

To plant my seeds, I put a sponge in a hole, put a seed in the sponge hole, and thats it till I plant them out. You do need to keep the styrafoam floating in water. I limit myself to 2 cells at a time. I rarely have a seed not sprout, if its nice and hard when you put it in. It takes a little longer for the shriveld up ones. Ive never used the greenhouse cover that comes with them, but guess that would be helpful if its cool out. One of the best parts is, you dont really disturb them when transplanting, the sponge keeps everything in tact. When Ive given out some years, my seedling have spent up to a full year in these. They only get so big, but they dont die. I can start seeds in cups, etc., but they just dont transplant well for me. After all this time, I should be better than that, but Im not, so these keep things going for me.

Thumbnail by gardenglory   Thumbnail by gardenglory         

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

April 28, 2013
1:33 PM

Post #9500090

Gardenglory, is that the dome thing they are selling on Park seed?? I was trying to understand the concept or at least figure out whether or not I can use the sponges with out the dome thing? I think I like it but I don't have that many seed.

Blooma, the seeds came from the LA and they did not rot. They molded and I just rinsed off the mold and dried them. Like you say they must have been too wet. I will try again. I am using my bonus seeds not the good ones. :)

I think at this point I might wait for my own seeds to develope and I can play around with the free ones!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

April 28, 2013
3:07 PM

Post #9500208

You have seen these before , these include When Royals Dream and the little Puffer Fish in the pot by itself , the only one I got , Pot grown were inside this winter The straight shoots from the in the ground had been winter sown.
Different choices made of where we are and how we choose to do these , To each of us our own .. works to the idea.

The obvious is I could, and still do have some things to learn about the soil combinations these are growing in .. All the pics are of different types

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

April 28, 2013
10:00 PM

Post #9500652

virginia,
Molded seeds will eventually rot. I have had a few of those also. I cleaned them off, soaked them in diluted bleach but they didn't sprout and were soft when I lifted them up. Mine were also from LA. Strangley they were in the same little package as others, yet not all rotted. Sometimes seeds can be bad yet that is hard to tell before sowing.

gardenglory,
I checked out Parks. A good idea except for 3 thoughts.

I sow too many seeds and I don't like having to reorder more sponges for the following year. Also, I don't like keeping their roots in water the whole time as your 2nd photo shows. It makes it harder and longer for roots to make the adjustment since they get spoiled with the ease of growing in water.

I have never had a problem transplating seedlings of any size. But for those that do, the sponges may be a good idea.

For cuttings, it would be great.

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

April 30, 2013
2:06 AM

Post #9502203

Thanks blooms, I will throw those out and use different ones. Also I got seed heads on one of my new daylilies, can't I use those? How long should I wait for them to get ripe?
ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

April 30, 2013
12:42 PM

Post #9502930

Virginiarose, I have some daylily seeds that I can share if you would like to try again. Mine are open pollinated, but there are about 60 or 70 named daylilies in my front bed.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

April 30, 2013
4:39 PM

Post #9503208

virginia,
what color are the pods. If still green they are not ready. Mine never get brown, but do get creme, or light green. If you squeeze the pod gently and the top cracks open, then you can pick it. If it does not crack open, then the seeds are not mature enough.

1] An unripe pod.
2] A ripe pod opened to show seeds. The pod casing is a light green.
3] I dressed some late maturing pods in nylons so I wouldn't loose the seeds when the pod opened since I was gone for a week.

Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma      

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

May 1, 2013
2:24 PM

Post #9504443

Thanks!

ibartoo, you sure have a lot of daylilies in the front beds, your beds must be huge! I have too much going on right now so I think I will just wait till next year, probably by then I will have 70 in my front beds. I have ordered a ton of daylilies!

Blooms, mine are still green. Thanks for the advice about the seeds. What should I do if I want to store some of them till next year. Don't they need to dry out? I might even pollinate one myself! :)

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

May 1, 2013
2:38 PM

Post #9504459

Virginia,
Yes, you can store them. When harvested, I open the pods and spread the seeds in a shallow container lined with paper towel to cure and dry for 7 days. Then store in plastic ziplock craft bags (Walmart) and place in the crisper of your fridge. I sprouted seeds from 2010 stored that way. Ofcourse, keep the seeds of each pod seperated, and label all. Even if you don't know the pollen parent, at least you can identify the pod parent. Would be nice to know if the seeds produced something special and you want to register it.

Below is a photo of how to fertilize a daylily. I am holding the stamen full of pollen.

Thumbnail by blomma

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

May 3, 2013
2:37 PM

Post #9507024

Ok, sounds good and thanks for the picture illustration. You have a stamen from another daylily and you put it on there as soon as it opens right? then how do you remember which daylily pollen you put on him. When you harvest the seeds you write down the two daylilies?

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

May 3, 2013
3:25 PM

Post #9507082

Viriginia,
I have tags that I hang on the pod parent identifying the cross. Instead of names, which often are too long to fit, they are coded with a number. The tag goes on the pod parent as soon as I crossed it. The number is referred to a specific daylily variety. I also have a hard copy of them with both names and numbers since I don't trust computers. Daylilies received from Blueridge starts with BR. So it would be BR-1 x BR-5, The #1 and #5 are specific varieties linked to their name. The pod plant is always stated first, followed by the pollen parent. I am waiting for 4 daylilies purchased from the LA. So, it would read LA-1 x BR whatever I cross it with. The letters are a reminder where the plants came from.

Best time to hybridize is early in the morning before it gets too hot. They won't set pods when too hot in late morning and afternoon. Both plants have to be ready, ie the pod parent have to be receptive to the pollen, meaning sticky. The pollen have to be fluffy. Usually it is about 1 or 2 hours after the flower has opened. You can also save pollen from an early blooming daylily, to fertilize a late bloomer. I have saved a lot of them in little vials and stored in the freezer.

It sounds involved but it really isn't.
ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

May 4, 2013
6:58 AM

Post #9507678

I had a lot of fun doing that a couple of years ago. I never kept records like that though. Any blooms I get from those crosses will be little orphan surprises I am afraid. I too have saved pollen in the freezer and also traded some with a friend. I know that I have seen some for sale at times on the Lily Auction.
I had my first daylily open yesterday.

It is Crimson Pirate.

Thumbnail by ibartoo

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

May 6, 2013
3:24 AM

Post #9510024

Thanks blooma, good information that I will keep in mind. Sounds like fun! I read an article about a popular lady hybridizer who said, 'I put pretty on pretty! I like that. :))

ibartoo, nice to see blooms!

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

May 6, 2013
8:31 AM

Post #9510369

virginia,
LOL! That is how I started out. I put pretty on pretty! That lady produced many beauties that was registered. Now I got fussier and plan more. I like to cross contrasting colors. From what I have read, the pod parent determines the height, etc. The pollen parent, the blooms. I don't quite believe that since it didn't hold true for irises.

Just remembered, I think she started the Silome daylilies.

This message was edited May 6, 2013 1:32 PM
ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

May 8, 2013
4:23 AM

Post #9512913

Blomma, That is funny that you start with pretty on pretty. I started with the prettiest blooms that were open at the same time. LOL Then it became addictive and now I too plan more about the ones I would like to cross.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

May 8, 2013
6:03 AM

Post #9513008

ibartoo,
Look up above on April 27 and see the results of my addiction. Not only the planted ones but 100 more for this year. Where they will go---no idea. LOL!!!

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

May 11, 2013
10:27 AM

Post #9516894

I got a little carried away on the LA this past winter, I have no idea where mine will go either! LOL!
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 11, 2013
10:32 AM

Post #9516901

I have to either make the decession to cull the majority of mine,(which is harder to do than you think), or stop with the seedlings. There comes a point when the sheer work of it all, and room, outweighs the fun.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

May 11, 2013
10:46 PM

Post #9517475

Come Monday, all my daylilies and iris seedling will be outdoors acclimating. I have spoiled them long enough. They will go on my plant stand on the east side for morning sun, at least until May 31. Hopefully by that time I will have figured out where they will go. Some I will sell after I culled, which I did last year.

gardenglory, I hear you.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 12, 2013
9:11 AM

Post #9517857

Blomma, I think that's fine on planting the daylily seedlings close. After all, you will move the ones you like to a different bed with more room when they've bloomed, and eliminate the ones that you don't want.

Ibartoo, welcome to our thread! I have not started any daylily seeds yet this year. I must hurry and get them in the ground before the season becomes too advanced. I have them in the fridge now. I look forward to seeing your seedlings when they bloom. Do post pics!

Virginiarose, maybe you could try sprouting them directly in the garden. That way you don't have to worry about mold, as they'll have the air circulation they need. If growing indoors, try adding a bit of hydrogen peroxide to the water, which is supposed to prevent mold, and keep a light fan on them after they've sprouted to keep the air circulating. I don't grow inside, as I don't have the room for it, nor the money to invest in the lights, shelving, fans, etc.

Karen

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

May 13, 2013
5:28 PM

Post #9519463

That's a good idea, I am just busy planting daylilies right now, also adding new plants to the shade garden. I have no lights or set up either. Sometimes I grow stuff in the window. hehehe! I agree with the peroxide water and use it for all seedlings and house plants, if not I get fungus gnats.

susan

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

May 14, 2013
5:14 AM

Post #9519893

susan, fungus gnats tend to come from potting soil. I stopped using Miracle-gro this past year and no more gnats. I have had gnats for the 3 years I used MG, Had to use a houseplant spray to kill them with. The eggs are in the MG and hatch in the house. MG changed their potting soil. I swear it looks like they scraped off the forest floor. I have used it for year without problems. It is just the last 3 years that gnats came with it.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 14, 2013
10:11 AM

Post #9520259

Is it the soil or mix you are referring to. Ive never used the soil, only the mix.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

May 14, 2013
2:03 PM

Post #9520537

It is the MG potting soil. It is too coarse with pieces of rotting wood in it.I changed to Expert but suddenly Wallmart don't carry it anymore.
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 15, 2013
12:18 PM

Post #9521688

Wow. I always use MG potting soil with no problems. Of course, I plant my seeds directly outdoors in pots. I wonder if that makes a difference.
ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

May 17, 2013
7:03 AM

Post #9523719

Morning Everyone, sorry to disappear like that, it has been a crazy week or two. I am job hunting, trying to get my son ready for graduation, his 18th birthday planned , Working with Mom etc.

Blomma, your daylily set up looks like my greenhouse. I have tons of little cups with seedlings started in them.

Thanks for the welcome Karen, I have been here before, but I have a tendency to pop in and out as time and season permits. You never know when I will pop in.

Blomma do you start iris seedlings this way too?

I have the gnats too, but since I keep everything outside or in the greenhouse, they don't bother me. They do provide endless entertainment for the kitten though.

I crossed my first daylily of the season yesterday. I can't wait to see if it forms a pod. I crossed Apricot sparkles( pod parent) with Eenie Weenie ( pollen Parent). I need to get outside this morning and see what I have blooming today. I love this time of year.
See ya later.

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

May 17, 2013
10:12 AM

Post #9523884

Miracle Grow started going organic and the soil has rotting matter inside it. I have no problem except inside, so I just mix a little peroxide with the water for house plants. They need it anyway because of the tap water having no nitrogen. I cannot give just tap water.

ibartoo, I would love to see your kitten playing with the gnats. hehehe, I bet that is so cute! :))
ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

May 18, 2013
5:00 AM

Post #9524634

I also mix a little bit of cinnamon in with my potting mix when I use it. it helps to kill the fungus that may be in the soil and keeps thing from damping off. It has made a big difference, but again I don't grow anything inside.

Virginia rose, If I could get a video of her playing with them, I would watch it non stop. It is endlessly entertaining. I was never a cat person, but someone gave me a tiny kitten who lived with me 18 years. She passed away last summer and my son begged for this kitten. I realized resistance was futile, and she is steadily winning my heart too. I love her just as much as the other furry children. She is the funniest of the 3.

I am starting daylily seeds today. I took them out of the fridge and will pot them up. These are from crosses I made last year. Then I am going out to see if any are blooming that I can cross today. It is supposed to be gorgeous this morning and then rain this afternoon. Maybe I can get gardening done first and then housework later.

Hope you all have a great day.

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

May 24, 2013
6:18 PM

Post #9532946

ibartoo, your cat sounds so sweet, sorry for your loss but glad you have more laughter ahead of you. I know Cats can be so funny and cute!

How long did you keep your seeds in the fridge? were they dry or wet paper-towel?
ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

May 26, 2013
6:46 AM

Post #9534344

Virginia Rose, I kept my seeds in a wet paper towel in a ziplock bag for 3 weeks in the fridge. The other seeds were soaking just in little containers of water in another container. I started them on Wednesday the 23rd. I will let you know which come up first. Here are some pics of my early bloomers. Some of my tags were lost, but I think they are red rum, aztec gold, and 1 I cannot remember the name of. Hyperion is blooming today, but I have to get outside to take more pics. I haven't really checked over the yard yet and my puppy is letting me know about it. I am just trying to catch up.

The first pic is either Butterscotch ruffles or Mary Todd Lincoln, I can never tell yellows apart very well. The 2nd is Aztec gold, 3rd ( can't remember the name, 4th eenie weenie and 5th is red rum. So far these are all that have bloomed except hyperion and I haven't taken a picture of it yet.
Hope you all have a fine "bloomin" Sunday!

Ibartoo

Thumbnail by ibartoo   Thumbnail by ibartoo   Thumbnail by ibartoo   Thumbnail by ibartoo   Thumbnail by ibartoo

virginiarose

virginiarose
Southeast, VA
(Zone 8a)

May 26, 2013
2:30 PM

Post #9534881

Thank you! Those are very nice daylilies!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

March 24, 2014
11:57 AM

Post #9797048

Blomma, I have a question about sprouting DLs. After stratification, do you leave them in the baggies for sprouting? Then transfer to pots when they do?

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Daylilies Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
What do I do with the day lilies now? JSS 12 Oct 10, 2009 4:51 PM
Scented daylilies?? philomel 26 Feb 5, 2008 6:00 AM
Potted Daylilies CountryGardens 10 Jan 18, 2008 4:28 AM
Late Season Rebloomers pins2006 12 Aug 3, 2007 12:38 PM
Metal markers suppliers? bluegrassmom 63 Mar 12, 2008 11:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America