Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Mid-South Gardening: Christmas Luncheon

Communities > Forums > Mid-South Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Mid-South GardeningReplies: 110, Views: 676
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 27, 2012
9:30 AM

Post #9316933

When: December 1, 2012
Where: My Home
Time: 10:30ish until we are tired of eating, drinking and being merry
Please Bring: A dish of your choice and a $20.00 door prize. We are adding something to this year's party, a cookie exchange. So, bring your favorite cookie (we can decide on the amount when we know the number attending) and an empty container to take home full of other cookies!

I hope you can make it!

Bringing:
Kim: Ham, Paper Goods and Drinks--mostly diet--(?)Peanut Butter Cup Cookies
Loretta: Sweet Potato Casserole
KA: Cheesecake--Peanut Butter Kiss Cookies
Charlotte: Grape Salad and Curried Fruit
Sarah:--Rice dish and Peanut Butter Pie(?)
Sandy: Greenbean Casserole, bread and Ginger Snap Cookies

This message was edited Nov 18, 2012 7:34 PM

Thumbnail by duckmother
Click the image for an enlarged view.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 27, 2012
4:34 PM

Post #9317284

I plan to be there!!
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 28, 2012
4:40 AM

Post #9317692

i'll be there!! I'll wait a little closer to time to see what to bring.
lorettad
Batesville, AR
(Zone 7a)

October 28, 2012
6:30 AM

Post #9317773

I'll be there. I can bring sweet potato casserole
Sarah_Claire
Little Rock, AR

October 30, 2012
10:47 AM

Post #9320237

I will be there with my jingle bells on! I'll bring something to eat, just don't know what yet. Need to look through my cookbooks and get some good ideas.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 30, 2012
7:44 PM

Post #9320667

If we could get enough people wouldn't it be neat to do a cookie exchange too? we all make a certain amount of one cookie/candy and then we put our cookies on a table, bring an extra container to put our new cookies in, we go around the table picking one from each tray untill the table is out of cookies and we have alot of different varieties of cookies or candies. YUM> I always loved going to cookie exchanges lol

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 30, 2012
8:54 PM

Post #9320732

Think my DIL has a group that does this some. I would.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 31, 2012
5:25 AM

Post #9320869

Does it really matter how many people we have? Lets see a show of hands...for? against? Do we want to just do cookies or add candy? Fudge? Pies? Cakes? Oh My! Make me stop!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 31, 2012
5:50 AM

Post #9320895

Yes Kim there is no end to what we could do!!!!
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 31, 2012
10:58 AM

Post #9321193

Well then. We should just do it. Lol. Does the gift/door prize have to be garden related. I was thinking of something more Christmasy for a gift.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 31, 2012
3:45 PM

Post #9321389

I think that is up to you, KA. I may have a little of both as my gift...
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 31, 2012
7:20 PM

Post #9321579

This message was edited Oct 31, 2012 9:49 PM
gen2026
Camden, AR

November 1, 2012
6:14 AM

Post #9321783

I love the thought of a cookie or candy exchange! I have never been to one, but they sure sound like fun! :)

I am not sure yet if I will be able to come - it gets crazy at my house between Thanksgiving and Christmas with 4 bdays and the holidays !! but I sure hope to be there. Hopefully will know in a week or so what all the schedules will entail...

Sarah_Claire
Little Rock, AR

November 1, 2012
2:05 PM

Post #9322119

Yea, a cookie exchange, I'll bring some. Yum. Do I need to bring candy, fudge, pie and cake too?

The gift: It's a surprise!!!!! I love it though and hope whoever gets it will too!!!!

Still haven't decided on the dish I'll bring. Hope everybody gets to come.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 1, 2012
4:51 PM

Post #9322254

Hope you can make it, Genna.

YES! Sarah, you must bring one of each ;o)) No worries on dish, you have about a month to decide!

Should we do just cookies or add candy? I guess we should tell the cookie, so we don't have 10 different types of sugar cookies!

If just cookies, I will make 4 O'Clocks and/or Peanut Butter Cup Cookies.
gen2026
Camden, AR

November 1, 2012
6:06 PM

Post #9322300

What is a 4 Oclock?

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 1, 2012
6:20 PM

Post #9322313

Yes we do need to tell the type cookie or whatever so we don't end up with all the same kind! I can do oatmeal raisin and or chocolate chip.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 1, 2012
7:22 PM

Post #9322361

Probably a good idea to tell
What we will be making. But we do all need to bring the same amount. So many Dozon. So how many doz should we bring of what ever we will be bringing. Keep in mind. I thi k we brought 3 to 5 doz in my past cookie swaps. ill look through my recipes to see what I will bring
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 1, 2012
8:12 PM

Post #9322412

I guess the amount depends on the number of attendees.

Genna, a 4 O'clock is a pecan cookie rolled in powdered sugar. Some people roll them into moon shaped cookies and called the crescents.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 1, 2012
8:25 PM

Post #9322418

mmmmmmmmmmm one of my favorites!!
gen2026
Camden, AR

November 2, 2012
4:56 AM

Post #9322548

Thanks Kim - not heard of that one. I would think the number of dozen would depend on the number attending as well. Did ya'll decide to do cookies? or are you including candies? i guess it might get really confusing doing multiple things with a few people?
Just whatever is fine with me... we all I know I like food!

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 2, 2012
5:02 AM

Post #9322551

It's ok to do multiple things, as long as you have the same amount of both cookies/candies. maybe we should stick to cookies. ha? guess we can wait a little bit to see who all is going to come. How many is coming now?
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 2, 2012
5:58 AM

Post #9322597

Yeah, if someone wants to make candy, it will be eaten! So far, 6 people have confirmed...

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 2, 2012
6:08 AM

Post #9322609

On the spot!!!
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 2, 2012
1:06 PM

Post #9322912

Lol. U got that right!!
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 2, 2012
8:12 PM

Post #9323269

hahaha for sure!
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 4, 2012
1:18 PM

Post #9324491

Sandy is going to bring greenbean casserole and ginger snap cookies

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 4, 2012
4:58 PM

Post #9324637

Mmmmm love gingersnaps! Glad Sandy can make it!
Sarah_Claire
Little Rock, AR

November 5, 2012
5:27 AM

Post #9325070

I'll bring Mexican wedding cookies. How many do we bring?
I'm thinking I will bring a veggie dish of some kind but I also have a peanut butter cup pie I thought I would try out on ya'll if you don't mind being guinea pigs!!!
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 5, 2012
5:32 AM

Post #9325077

Ya'll, I don't want to scare you guys, i'm gonna have to call my heart doc today, been dizzy and light headed for an hr now, almost fainted when I bent over to look for socks. had to sit on the floor. I did call danny but I am going to go into work and see how it goes, will call my doc from there. I've been feeling odd the past week. heavy breathing, and chest pains, I thought it was over weight and stress. I won't be able to come back here to post what I find out, or when I have to go in. I'm sure he'll want to do a stress test on me. It's time, I've been feeling uneasy these days, knowing or thinking i'm on the edgge of a cliff about to fall off feeling. My weight is a critical thing that affects my heart condition.
Sarah_Claire
Little Rock, AR

November 5, 2012
5:39 AM

Post #9325083

Kathy Ann! I don't think you should wait. If you have an irregular heart rhythm or a heart block of some kind you need to have it treated as soon as possible or it could lead to something worse. Remember, I work at a heart hospital!!!! Not to scare you too bad, but women do not have the same symptoms with an MI that men do. PLEASE, don't wait and it's probably not a good idea for you to drive yourself.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 5, 2012
6:46 AM

Post #9325169

Kathy Ann you do need to see someone right away!
Sarah I just sent her a message and told her to get to the hosp!
I don't know if you know it but she has had two heart attacks previously.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 5, 2012
7:06 AM

Post #9325191

I just got a message from her. She is at the doctors and it is an inner ear problem and not her heart!
Will let you know if I hear anything else.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 5, 2012
8:32 AM

Post #9325261

Her blood work was fine. She has a bad case of vertigo! They want let her drive so Darren is picking her up and driving her home. I told her to get in bed and rest! I think she will ! They had to help her to the bathroom her vertigo is so bad. She realizes she should not have been driving!!!
gen2026
Camden, AR

November 5, 2012
11:26 AM

Post #9325405

So thankful it wasn't her heart! Vertigo is no fun - but much better than heart problems!!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 5, 2012
3:20 PM

Post #9325546

Oh, my goodness! I'm just now seeing this! I've had vertigo before many years ago and it is no fun but I am SO RELIEVED that it wasn't a heart attack. Kathy Ann--feel better soon! Hugs!!
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 5, 2012
5:44 PM

Post #9325616

Yikes! I'm glad KA is fine! Sarah, 4 o'clocks are the same as mexican wedding cookies ;o)) You make those and I will make dish pan cookies and peanut butter cup cookies. The pie sounds very yummy! I will be any kinda pig you need! LOL You just let me know if you want o make pie of veggies...
Sarah_Claire
Little Rock, AR

November 6, 2012
3:56 AM

Post #9325813

Kim - go ahead and make your 4 oclocks. I didn't realize they were the same cookie. I'll find a different cookie to bring. It will give me an excuse to go through my recipes!!!
I was thinking of the pie AND a rice dish unless you just need one or the other. I don't know if the pie will be good, but it sounded good to me!
Kathy Ann - take care of yourself! Our group wouldn't be the same without you!!!!!!! Charlotte, thanks for texting KA. I don't have her phone number or I would have called and acted like a mother hen. LOL
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 6, 2012
4:11 AM

Post #9325820

I'm back in the groove again. Going back to work today. I can't see how stressed caused this though since I was just getting up when it happened. Y'all wouldn't believe how long I slept yesterday. 4 hrs the first nap. Then I went to Bed for the night at 6:30. Just got up. That medication made me so tired. I'm good to go now. I'm glad it wasn't my heart too.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 6, 2012
7:21 AM

Post #9325959

I'm going to try to make it but it depends on what hours I work that day, it is after Thanksgiving and Hobby Lobby is going to be packed. BLAH!!!!! This sounds like some serious fun!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 6, 2012
8:06 AM

Post #9326020

KA all that bending from loading the wood might could have caused some of the problem. More years ago than I care to say we had sold a house and had moved. After we had moved out I was trying to get it cleaned up and was going like a house a fire and doing a lot of bending down. All of a sudden I developed the most excruciating ear ache that put me totally out of commission. Well almost! I decided I had too much to do to and had to do something to get rid of the earache. So I decided to take some paragarch (can't spell it - the stuff you used to give babies for stomache ache or earache - can't remember which). I reasoned that the dosage was by weight so I took much, much more than you would give a small child. It helped some with the earache but totally relaxed the muscles in my eyes!! I had to use my fingers to hold my eye open for several hours! That was the one and only time I did that!

You may be back ok today but you still need to take it easy for a few days!
gen2026
Camden, AR

November 7, 2012
9:14 AM

Post #9326950

Glad to hear you are feeling better KA! What causes vertigo? is it an ear infection? heard of several people having it, but I didn't know if it was permanent or temporary...

In fact, we have an employee where I work who isn't supposed to climb ladders because he suffers from it...

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 7, 2012
12:56 PM

Post #9327146

Virtigo most times is caused by inflammation in the inner ear. But can be caused by other things. A wide range in fact. And it can last for months or years. Coming back occasionally during high stress periods etc... They did say mine was from inflammation in my inner ear. And today I do have sinus congestion and pressure . I feel back to normal now though and I do feel like my energy is back also. Was dragging because of the medication they gave me for virtigo. Not taking it any more though. Feel much better today.
gen2026
Camden, AR

November 7, 2012
2:45 PM

Post #9327216

Thanks KA - guess that explains why some people keep it for a long time and others dont. Glad to hear you are feeling back to normal! That is ALWAYS good news! I froze to death all morning and felt horrible - was scared I was coming down with the flu or something, but i took some allergic med at lunch and I don't feel great, but I do feel better. I am so swamped at work that I can't miss any more anytime soon unless I get really bad sick! End of fiscal year, there is a ton to get done!

Genna
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 8, 2012
8:11 AM

Post #9327829

Glad you are back in the swing of things, KA!

Sarah, if you cannot find another cookie to make, you are more than welcome to make mexican wedding. Jeff loves dishpan cookies, so I know they will be eaten!!!
Sarah_Claire
Little Rock, AR

November 8, 2012
3:25 PM

Post #9328211

Kim, I have a couple of cookie recipes in mind, so please go ahead with the 4 oclocks. Our party will be on us in no time! Got to get the gift wrapped and the recipes finalized.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 8, 2012
3:55 PM

Post #9328248

I've got to find a gift - then wrap it!! This month is flying by!! Where or where is the time going!!
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 8, 2012
5:10 PM

Post #9328308

I think i'm going to make peanutbutter kiss cookies. and I'll bring a cheesecake for dessert if nobody else is bringing dessert.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 8, 2012
6:11 PM

Post #9328372

You know we never complain about cheese cake no matter how many deserts we might have!!
Do you all want me to make grape salad?? I'll do something else also. Maybe some other kind of salad. Or what about Beer bread?
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 8, 2012
6:55 PM

Post #9328413

Kim I saw where you and Sarah stated you were going to go to Dian's get together in bk. I said I was going to. But Danny wants me to go to the deer camp that weekend. He will be down there all that week and needs me to bring him some clothes that weekend. I won't be able to go to Dian's that sat.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 9, 2012
4:51 AM

Post #9328574

Cheesecake is great! Yeah, Sandy and I are going to Dian's. I saw Sarah say she was attending...Charlotte are you going? Y'all are both welcome to ride with us...I don't think we will be buying that many plants. I'm not certain that we will know how to act without you, KA. lol Charlotte, we also never complain about grape salad ;o))

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 9, 2012
6:02 AM

Post #9328644

Yes Kim we're planning on going if we can fit it all in! We have a hike that morning. I think it's at Peti Jean but we always leave at 8 for the hike so we're thinking we'll have time to go up to Dian's also. Yes we should all ride together. We don't plan to buy a lot either. At least I don't plan to buy lot's if anything. Guess I shouldn't be speaking for Sarah but I would doubt she does either.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 9, 2012
7:14 AM

Post #9328718

If we buy any plants, we can put against the cab and should not get too wind blown. I may buy a wreath...
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 9, 2012
2:15 PM

Post #9329102

I'm gonna talk to Danny to see if I can get out of camp that weekend so I can go too. I want to go!!!!
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 10, 2012
7:52 AM

Post #9329599

I hope you can join us, KA...but we understand if you can't. However, we will talk badly about you ;o))

Sandy is also going to make homemade bread...yummy!

I have changed my mind on my cookies. I am not making 4 O'clocks, instead I am making mint chocolate cookies. Sarah feel free to make Mexican wedding cookies!

This message was edited Nov 11, 2012 9:31 AM
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 13, 2012
4:20 AM

Post #9331790

Well, it looks like you ladies will be on your own this Saturday, boo!! Danny wants me to go to the camp this weekend. I will see you at the christmas party though!! so how many dozen cookies are we bringing for the swap? is 3 dozon ok? or should we make it 4 lol 3 doz is about 3 times around the table, we better make it 4 dozen lol that ok with everybody? I might change my mind on what cookie I bring, i've been looking at recipes. should I skip the cheesecake and bring something food wise or do we have our menu complete now?
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 13, 2012
7:14 PM

Post #9332540

I am still not certain what everyone is bringing. We always have lots of food, so you bring whatever your little heart desires ;o)

The heating element is going out on our oven and will not get as hot as it shows. Jeff ordered another element which should have fit but didn't! I may change cookies yet again due to oven issue...

This message was edited Nov 14, 2012 2:32 PM
Sarah_Claire
Little Rock, AR

November 14, 2012
11:47 AM

Post #9333126

I remember one Christmas eve I was cooking and turned around to see the heating element in the stove on fire!!!!! What a mess.
Kim, I don't plan to buy much @ H&D, not sure what she is going to have. I may get a poinsettia if she has any of those.
What time are you planning to leave? Charlotte and I have a hike that morning.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 14, 2012
11:55 AM

Post #9333127

We will leave whenever y'all get here ;o)) Around 2:00.
Sarah_Claire
Little Rock, AR

November 14, 2012
2:13 PM

Post #9333235

Kim, I can't guarantee we'll be back by 2. Should we call you as we are headed back to LR?
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 14, 2012
4:00 PM

Post #9333316

That would be great!
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 15, 2012
3:34 PM

Post #9334126

I'm okay with 4 dozen. If we don't get all of them, they can go back home with the bringer...yeah, sure, like that's gonna happen!

So will there only be 6 of us...with possibly Genna and Holly?
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 18, 2012
7:28 AM

Post #9336125

Charlotte, Sarah, Sandy and I went to Dian's Fall Celebration last night. We all agreed for everyone to make one batch of cookies and if that recipe only makes one dozen then so be it. It turns our that Sarah's recipe makes 5 dozen, Sandy's makes 4 and mine will make around 4, so there will be plenty of cookies!

I'm going to invite Dian and her daughter. I know they will not be able to come but they should be included for all they have done for us!!!

Only 2 weeks away!

Thumbnail by duckmother

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 18, 2012
8:11 AM

Post #9336158

Great idea Kim!! They are such good people!!!
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 18, 2012
1:09 PM

Post #9336350

Well, you know, those who make a batch of cookies when the recipe says it makes one dozen you can easily double the recipe right? i think all cookie recipes make several dozen in a single batch.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 18, 2012
2:30 PM

Post #9336403

I figure everyone will bring LOTS of cookies...which is fine with me!!!

Here is the reply I got back from Dian...
We would love to come but as you know we have to sell the trees. If we get all the trees sold then we can make it. We are honored that you you guys think of us as part of the group. Will let you know.

I told them not to cook or bring anything. If they come, I will furnish their door prizes.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 18, 2012
3:26 PM

Post #9336450

So glad that you thought to invite them!!

I've figured out what I'm going to bring in addition to the grape salad. I'm going to bring hot curried fruit. It's great with ham!
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 18, 2012
4:32 PM

Post #9336495

YUMMY!!!
gen2026
Camden, AR

November 20, 2012
7:30 AM

Post #9337960

Well, I think at this point, I will have to say I am not coming. I have had it on my calendar and been trying to juggle it so I could come. But, we are supposed to be in Conway on Sunday the 2nd for a Christmas program that Leigh's 83 yr old Aunt is playing piano in... not sure we will go to it now either, but I know we don't need to make two drives that distance on the same weekend.

So sorry, had hoped to be there and was so looking forward to the Cookie Exchange because I have never gotten to participate in one of those. Sounded like lots of fun!

I know ya'll will have a great time! I will be thinking of you! Charlotte, do you mind sharing your recipe for hot curried fruit? it sounds awesome!

Genna
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 20, 2012
7:26 PM

Post #9338687

Okay, Gen, we understand. We can have a cookie exchange at any luncheon!
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 21, 2012
4:51 AM

Post #9338835

hey, would either you kim or charlotte, check out lowes or home depot for me some african violet food? I can't find any here anywhere, any kind will do. liquid or powder that you mix with water, one container is good. i'll pay you back.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 21, 2012
5:20 AM

Post #9338859

I will go by lowes as I leave work today. I have some if we can't find any...I will share ;o)
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 21, 2012
7:57 AM

Post #9338985

Thanks
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 23, 2012
3:05 PM

Post #9340715

Hope you all don't mind if i skip making the cheesecake this time and make a lemon chifon pie. hopefully that will be ok, and I've narrowed it down to 3 diff things ( I can't make up my mind) on the cookie exchange only, most is candy that i've picked

I'll have to decide before this weekend I guess lol
english toffee
nutella no bake cookies
or maple walnut fudge

yum or all the above lol lordy I don't know if i'll have time to make all of it so I better make up my mind. soon.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 23, 2012
3:14 PM

Post #9340718

Yum on the lemon chiffon pie! That was one of my mother's specialties. She lemon chiffon and chocolate chiffon all the time. They were my daddy's favorite pies. I don't think I've ever made one!
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 23, 2012
5:03 PM

Post #9340786

Yummy! I loooove anything lemon! Make whatever you feel like...with my oven on the blink, I may have store bought cookies ;o) No, it will be fixed by then...

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 23, 2012
5:09 PM

Post #9340790

Not good Kim!!! Mine went on the blink a few years ago but was able to get it fixed also. Was glad after pricing what a new oven was going to cost!!!
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 28, 2012
4:03 AM

Post #9344442

Okay, oven fixed...and just in time! I'm going to get ham this morning and make cookies Friday. I am excited!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 28, 2012
6:54 AM

Post #9344536

Yeah!!!!!!!!!! Making my cookies and other stuff Friday night too.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 30, 2012
3:53 AM

Post #9346017

Making/baking goodies this morning!
gen2026
Camden, AR

November 30, 2012
11:14 AM

Post #9346284

Ya'll have fun tomorrow ... of course, I know you will. Enjoy some cookies for me!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 30, 2012
6:33 PM

Post #9346561

Genna, you had asked for the Curried Fruit Bake recipe. Here it is. I've made it since the 70's. My son loves it and always wants me to make it when I cook out there on Christmas. His kids don't like it! They don't like any kind of fruit salad. They have grown up just eating raw fresh fruit and that's what they prefer. The recipe calls for #303 cans. I don't know what that is anymore but I just use the one that's around 15 oz. Also the recipe calls for 1/2 cup black cherries. I always just add the whole can.

Curried Fruit Back
2 bananas
1/2 cup pitted black cherries
1 #303 can cling peaches
1#303 can pineapple slices
1 #303 can pear halves
small jar maraschino cherries
1/3 cup butter
3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
4 teaspoons curry power

The day before heat oven to 325 degrees. Drain fruit after cutting in bite size pieces. Dry fruit (well) on paper towels, then arrange in a 1 1/2 qt casserole. Melt butter, add sugar and curry powder. Spoon over fruit. Bank 1 hour uncovered. Let cool and then refrigerate overnight. When ready to serve, reheat casserole in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.

You do need to make it the day before. It gets better with age.

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 1, 2012
4:18 AM

Post #9346704

Oh my that is gonna be tasty!

Ham in the oven...that is still not baking correctly :-(

Tree decorated and lighted--check
Goodies on table--check
Door prize ready--check
Cookies on platter--check
Plates, glasses, etc on table--check

Just add girls and we have the perfect recipe for fun and laughter!
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 1, 2012
4:06 PM

Post #9347127

I had fun fun fun today!! We always have such a blast when we get together.

thanks kim for having us over today!

I got my shelving unit at Sams and loaded it (with help) it fit in there, I thought i was gonna have to bea t up a 400 pound hippy looking dude, he would not budge when I said excuse me. I had to go around him, he was evil. as I was saying not so nice things about him after I left , I ran into his wife ROFL i'm sure she had not so nice things to say about me after she walked around me ha ha. other than that I made it home in one piece, I swear to ya'll I could have kicked him in the shins and ran out the door faster than he could have put one foot in front of the other to chase me. ha. some people are aweful rude these days.
lorettad
Batesville, AR
(Zone 7a)

December 1, 2012
4:24 PM

Post #9347135

I had a wonderful time, also. Stopped at Bald Knob gardens on my way home and bought 10 African Violets
They were all named and most had blooms as big as half dollars, some were also varigated. Now to find a place to put them LOL
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 1, 2012
5:03 PM

Post #9347166

Dang, I didn't see any variegated ones in the pictures. were there any left? lol wonder if she's open on sunday, I may have to go see her. lol

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 1, 2012
5:05 PM

Post #9347167

Kim thanks so much for having us today!! Like the others have said we always have such a good time where ever we go!! Like the ladies in Bald Knob wanted to know what we were laughing about!
We went to Cactus Jacks for dinner. I actually didn't want anything but thought I needed to go with Richard. We have eaten there several times and it has always been good and quit and easy. Not so tonight. I ordered just one little burrito. They bought me two huge somethings I sent back! Richard ordered 3 cheese enchiladas with red sauce (same thing he has ordered every time). First try he got three chicken enchiladas with red sauce, second try 3 chicken enchiladas with cheese sauce, third try 3 cheese enchiladas with red sauce!!!! Want be going back there for a while!!

Now I've got to get to work tonight! Played too long today!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 1, 2012
10:33 PM

Post #9347324

Oh goodness! I just discovered the date cookies! I don't know who brought them but they are delicious, One of my favorite cookies and I never make them! You all might not have gotten any if I had known what they were!!! lol
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 2, 2012
5:07 AM

Post #9347380

Lorett a made them, I knew about them, they did look good, I haven't dug into any of them yet. but I see darren dug around in the bowl last night.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 2, 2012
5:19 AM

Post #9347388

I am so glad y'all had fun (as did I) and that everyone went home with new treasures...even if you bought them ;o) I know there will be 3 of us that have the same windchime. Thank you KA and Charlotte for the extra homemade gifts...I love to see other people's talents! Charlotte, I did not realize the salsa and peppers came from your garden. We are having mexican food tonight and while I am cooking, I will wear the apron KA made! Even with the cooking catastrophe stories, we all ate some delicious food and took home a lot of great cookies!

I have a few pix but only of the door prizes. Charlotte took some,too, and may post them later.

Charlotte was first. She opened KA's gift and got all kinds of handmade goodies...a tote bag, laundry soap a cute little lady plant pick but I have forgotten the last item...

Thumbnail by duckmother   Thumbnail by duckmother         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 2, 2012
5:23 AM

Post #9347391

Next was Loretta. She picked my gift, which included a bird coffee mug, a Christmas scarf and hanging bird feeder/bath...

Thumbnail by duckmother

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 2, 2012
5:29 AM

Post #9347394

I was next but no picture. I chose Loretta's gift. I got a beautiful glass Christmas ornament that will come on and go off by itself! Also included was a wagon wheel trough with 3 pots...I already know what I am going to plant in it and where I'm gonna put it ;o)

Loretta, the ornament did turn off and I am so hopeful that it comes back on later today! When we got back from our little shopping excursion, I sat and starred at it for a looooong time...so beautiful!

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 2, 2012
5:32 AM

Post #9347399

Next was KA. She picked Sarah's present which contained a plant care kit and a large metal snowman...

Thumbnail by duckmother

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 2, 2012
5:38 AM

Post #9347412

Sarah's turn. She got Sandy's gift and found a set of snowman salt and pepper shakers, a giant snowman spoon holder and a lovely windchime (KA and I both bought the same one about an hour later! LOL)

Thumbnail by duckmother   Thumbnail by duckmother         

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 2, 2012
5:42 AM

Post #9347418

Now to my friend Sandy. She is not a gardener but really enjoys our luncheons...as we all do! She got Charlotte's gift which consisted of a red scarf and gloves and 3 pairs of very soft wooly socks...

Thumbnail by duckmother

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 2, 2012
5:50 AM

Post #9347425

After eating, laughing, opening and exchanging, we all went to Hobby Lobby (Loretta then headed to Bald Knob for violets,) Tuesday Morning and to Hallmark. The fun continued while shopping. We all took home (at least one new item) home. I spent around 70.00 dollars and got some great Christmas stuff...plus a windchime! I'm certain I will wrap it and put under the tree...to: Kim, from: Kim :o))

I am so sorry everyone was unable to join us. We thought about all of you. May you all have joyous and loving Christmas.

You are all so dear to me!!!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 2, 2012
8:25 AM

Post #9347590

Here are the pictures I took.

Thumbnail by cperdue   Thumbnail by cperdue   Thumbnail by cperdue   Thumbnail by cperdue   Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 2, 2012
8:27 AM

Post #9347593

...and ta da...the COOKIES!!!!

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 2, 2012
8:33 AM

Post #9347597

Isn't Kim's tree just beautiful!!!! It's always one of the highlights of the luncheon getting to see her tree!! I forgot to take a picture of her tree in the kitchen. She keeps it up year round and decorates it according to the season. It's an actually tree...maybe a bradford pear...she's not sure. For Christmas she had it decorated with birds!
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 2, 2012
11:04 AM

Post #9347714

Thanks, Charlotte, I do love to decorate for Christmas!!

Loretta, the ornament turned back on right on cue! I will always know what time I opened my gift...
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 2, 2012
11:09 AM

Post #9347720

Charlotte, here is the fudge recipe...

Ingredients:

2 cups (12-oz. pkg.) NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels
1 can (14 oz.) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 cup chopped walnuts--I used 1/2 cup of pecans
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Melt morsels on low heat; add milk and stir until smooth. Remove from heat; blend in nuts and vanilla. Refrigerate for 2 hours.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 2, 2012
11:25 AM

Post #9347733

Thanks Kim! That is easy. I think I can handle that!
obbirds
Olive Branch, MS

December 2, 2012
12:49 PM

Post #9347825

Thanks for posting pics. Fun as always!!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 2, 2012
3:57 PM

Post #9347987

You ladies certainly had a good time--but that is no surprise! LOL Just sorry I couldn't make it. Maybe the next time.
Are you all planning to post recipe for any of those cookies? I need to make 4 dozen cookies for Thursday. Somebody has organized a cookie exchange locally which is going to benefit soldiers serving overseas. We will each get to pick 2 dozen cookies to bring home and we will each bring 2 dozen cookies to send overseas. Al and I don't eat cookies much so I will probably just donate all 4 dozen of my cookies to the soldiers. I need some different cookie recipes although I could always lean on that favorite stand-by of chocolate chip cookies.
Sarah_Claire
Little Rock, AR

December 3, 2012
6:13 AM

Post #9348484

Hi Gardeners!

Yes we did have a ton of fun and almost as much food (which was delicious)! Missed all that couldn't be there, though we know you were there is spirit. Kim's tree is the prettiest I've seen. You could look for hours and not see all the ornaments. Thanks Kim and Geoff for having us.

Love my gift from Sandy!!! The chimes have such a lovely sound, and I've already put my spoon rest and salt/pepper shakers to work.

Did anybody else have cookies for breakfast Sunday morning????
gen2026
Camden, AR

December 3, 2012
11:40 AM

Post #9348802

Everything is so beautiful! and I know ya'll had a wonderful time! I sure missed not getting to attend, but I worked out in my flower bed most of the day so maybe I was close in spirit!

everyone looks great! Hugs to all for a joyous Christmas!!

Genna
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 3, 2012
8:49 PM

Post #9349217

I have lots of easy recipes, Marilyn. Are you looking for anything in particular?

Thanks so much for the kind complement, Sarah! I did not eat cookies for breakfast...but Geoff did!!!

We felt your presence, Genna ;o)
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 4, 2012
7:33 AM

Post #9349462

Thanks, Kim. Genna dmailed me about a choc-oat-chip cookie recipe on the Quaker Oats website so I am going to make those tomorrow. She said they should transport well and still be good by the time they get to whatever military base they are going.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 6, 2012
4:27 AM

Post #9351102

Kim, I just now remembered, I owe you $$ for that av fertilizer. sorry, i'll buy you a plant when we go to memphis :)
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 6, 2012
5:25 AM

Post #9351132

hahaha OMG! No wonder I don't have any cash! I am so broke! That money was the only way I would be able to buy presents for Christmas! LOL

It didn't cost much, so don't worry about it. My contribution to your new AV collection!
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 6, 2012
11:11 AM

Post #9351368

Lol. Thanks so much

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-South Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-South Gardening forum! Terry 72 Jun 19, 2008 8:48 PM
Why Do Folks Love Living in the South? FlowrLady 174 Jan 21, 2008 1:12 AM
Look at my daffodils! chicochi3 37 Nov 6, 2007 4:00 PM
New to this forum corgimom 40 Jul 22, 2010 11:22 AM
Help!! My Hibiscus is ?????????? elamap 2 May 3, 2007 4:59 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America