Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Cacti and Succulents: Before & After

Communities > Forums > Cacti and Succulents
bookmark
Forum: Cacti and SucculentsReplies: 19, Views: 265
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

GermanStar

GermanStar
Fountain Hills, AZ
(Zone 9b)

October 27, 2012
12:47 PM

Post #9317129

Dazzle us with some before and after shots. Here is one of mine. First shot 14 months ago, second shot current. I swear, it's the same plant.

Thumbnail by GermanStar   Thumbnail by GermanStar
Click an image for an enlarged view.

GermanStar

GermanStar
Fountain Hills, AZ
(Zone 9b)

October 27, 2012
4:04 PM

Post #9317259

Here's another pretty dramatic 14-month difference: A. vivipara v. vivipara

GermanStar

GermanStar
Fountain Hills, AZ
(Zone 9b)

October 27, 2012
4:06 PM

Post #9317260

And another: A. gigantensis

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

October 27, 2012
5:20 PM

Post #9317330

Echeveria gibbiflora in June 2011 and today, after being restarted by decapitation a month or so ago.

Thumbnail by Baja_Costero   Thumbnail by Baja_Costero         

GermanStar

GermanStar
Fountain Hills, AZ
(Zone 9b)

October 27, 2012
5:30 PM

Post #9317335

Here's a cactus that's coming along...

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

October 27, 2012
5:39 PM

Post #9317345

16 months between these two pictures of Agave funkiana.

Thumbnail by Baja_Costero   Thumbnail by Baja_Costero         

GermanStar

GermanStar
Fountain Hills, AZ
(Zone 9b)

October 27, 2012
5:52 PM

Post #9317359

Nice. Hard to believe when you go back and look at old pics, isn't it?
mcvansoest
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

October 27, 2012
7:44 PM

Post #9317466

Here is some pictures of Opuntia ficus indica. The first one is from 2009, after I just transplanted it from a colleague's yard in which it had shot up and was unwanted. It did not like that spot (too much sun compared to where it was before), so I moved it to the front yard. That is where the next two pictures are from. The 2nd one is from 2011, as you can see it has multiplied: a storm broke it in two, but sticking the top part in the ground next to the base was - as we are used to from Opuntias - enough to get it to root. The top part actually is doing better (the one on the right), which is clearly apparent in the third picture, which is from today.

The fourth picture is a hybrid agave I picked up at the DBG sale, in the TLC pile so it was something like $2.50 or so... Agave colorata x bovicornuta, it will be interesting to see how that one does.

Thumbnail by mcvansoest   Thumbnail by mcvansoest   Thumbnail by mcvansoest   Thumbnail by mcvansoest   

GermanStar

GermanStar
Fountain Hills, AZ
(Zone 9b)

October 27, 2012
7:51 PM

Post #9317472

Those bovi hybrids have been making the rounds for a while. The ones like yours that favor A. colorata are reportedly a tad sun-sensitive, which is odd because the ones that favor A. bovicornuta really aren't. No clue...

GermanStar

GermanStar
Fountain Hills, AZ
(Zone 9b)

October 27, 2012
7:56 PM

Post #9317474

Here's another Agave that's tripled in size.

mcvansoest
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

October 27, 2012
8:23 PM

Post #9317489

I had a mostly shady spot in mind for the agave given that it does not get that big. I also picked up an A. vilmoriniana from the same TLC part of the DBG sale, it was hard to leave those behind at the prices they were asking and I have had great success with all the plants I have bought in the TLC area, aloes, cuttings, what not. My other buys were two big Mammillarias and a Creeping Devil, which is a cactus that has always fascinated me and turns out to be a pretty interesting cactus from a scientific point of view. Now of course I have to find a spot for it.

Attached a couple of golden barrel pictures... 4 years apart, but in my mind still pretty impressive growth, it is starting to outgrow the planter it is in. Especially since the Ferocactus gracilis next to it, has not grown much whatsoever. The fact that the golden barrel has grown so much seems to almost suggest that it shrunk, but it did not, it also grew a little bit. The F. gracilis was ~30 years old when I bought it - I got it at the annual sale of the CACSS in 2008 and I spoke to the owner of the nursery it came from and he told me he planted the seeds it grew from himself - such patience... It is not a grower, but it does flower every year at least once or twice and when it is wet those red spines are gorgeous.

Thumbnail by mcvansoest   Thumbnail by mcvansoest         

GermanStar

GermanStar
Fountain Hills, AZ
(Zone 9b)

October 27, 2012
8:30 PM

Post #9317496

Nice! Golden Barrels grow like hell if they get watered every now and then. I have a small isolated spot with a Golden and a Fero and nothing else. They were about the same size a couple years ago, but like yours, the Golden is more than twice as large now. Pretty peculiar really, since the Fero should eventually grow to 10X the Golden's size.
mcvansoest
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

October 27, 2012
8:47 PM

Post #9317505

A while ago I came across a study done at the University of Arizona looking into growth rates of Compass and Fishhook barrels which are among the faster growing Feros, but they still do not grow very fast, up to a several inches a year depending on rain, but usually at most 1-2 inches/year. But they last a long long time. Some of those 6+ footers are really really old.

I have a 5 foot Compass barrel that I rescued a few years ago, it is doing its leaning towards the sun thing so I have had to build a support for it, but this year it put on at least 2-3 inches right after those good rains we had here. I can easily see it on that one since its crown is rather misshapen. There is a yard in my neighborhood where they have two which are also at least 5 foot long, but probably a little bit bigger, which have become completely recumbent, they look healthy, and clearly did not break when they went to the ground (which I have also seen a couple of times).

Your post has made me go through a lot of my plant pictures and I realized I do not take pictures enough of the plants themselves usually I have 10s of pictures of the flowers, but very few good pictures of the whole plant, which is a pity because it is a great way to keep track of the plants growth and also to some extend its health. I shall have to become better at that.

GermanStar

GermanStar
Fountain Hills, AZ
(Zone 9b)

October 27, 2012
9:06 PM

Post #9317515

A year ago last August I took portrait type shots of all my plants to keep as a reference. I can't decide if I should do it again now or wait until Spring, but it is fun to go back and compare.

Lots of big F. cylindraceus around here, really big... I have a five footer in my front yard, and two 6'+ out back, one of which is enormously thick and absolutely perfect...

GermanStar

GermanStar
Fountain Hills, AZ
(Zone 9b)

November 3, 2012
4:04 PM

Post #9323835

From 2/24/2011 to 11/3/2012

newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

November 3, 2012
4:17 PM

Post #9323846

I wish I could grow that golden barrel, its beautiful!

smashedcactus

smashedcactus
Cannelton, IN
(Zone 6b)

November 6, 2012
4:05 PM

Post #9326430

The golden barrel is one of the hardest for me to grow, also. I've had a half dozen or so smaller plants that have died on me. I've had this larger one going on three years now. I'm still trying to keep a smaller one alive. Hopefully I'll get it right this time.

Thumbnail by smashedcactus
Click the image for an enlarged view.

xuling
Windsor, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 6, 2012
7:54 PM

Post #9326572

I guess that I am just lucky. Here is my big Golden Barrell measuring in at 13" high and 16" across and healthy as can be. And I have a lot of smaller ones because I enjoy them so much and they are all doing well. I don't do anything special except fertilize them in the summer and give them water when they dry out. But they are outside all winter sitting in the rain water. But I do cover them up during the really cold weather - 28 degrees or worse. Xuling

Thumbnail by xuling
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Illig1
Redwood City, CA

November 6, 2012
8:10 PM

Post #9326585

My golden barrels are easy peasy, great plants! They love summer water and don't mind winter water as long as they are in full sun.
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

November 7, 2012
3:39 AM

Post #9326703

Smashed I admire your care of those plants. For me, I really only want species I can keep outside. Here in my part of the world it does sometimes get cold and that limits which cactus I can keep.
C

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Cacti and Succulents Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Jade plant - too big for pot Rosalia 20 Dec 28, 2009 10:21 PM
Cactus Receipes Crasulady2 27 Jun 15, 2007 4:59 AM
Interested in seeds for unusual cacti and succulents Lavanda 2 Jul 7, 2008 8:45 AM
Another Succulent ID please henryr10 28 Dec 10, 2009 10:59 AM
Epiphyllum Curly weeding 5 Nov 9, 2009 3:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America