Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Tropical Plants: Heleconia care?

Communities > Forums > Tropical Plants
bookmark
Forum: Tropical PlantsReplies: 16, Views: 132
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
roxxanne
Houston, PA
(Zone 6a)

October 28, 2012
8:32 AM

Post #9317876

Bought what was labeled Lobster Claw Heleconia in the spring. I think it's really parrots beak, but anyways, it's in the greenhouse but not looking great. What does it need????

Metrosideros

Metrosideros
Keaau, HI

October 28, 2012
11:52 AM

Post #9318045

Maybe these sites will help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heliconia

http://members.iinet.net.au/~meckms/Heliconia%20Information%20Page.html

http://www.heliconiaplants.com/how-to-grow-heliconia-plants.html
roxxanne
Houston, PA
(Zone 6a)

October 28, 2012
5:57 PM

Post #9318384

Thanks! Those are helpful!

Metrosideros

Metrosideros
Keaau, HI

October 28, 2012
7:30 PM

Post #9318478

You're very welcome!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 31, 2012
1:12 PM

Post #9321268

Those are great links, Metro. Roxanne, I think the important thing that most people don't do is to cut out any stems that have already bloomed, or any old stems that have ratty looking leaves even if they didn't bloom. This encourages the plant to put up new stems with fresh nice looking leaves that might bloom.

It's hard to kill a heliconia, as long as you keep them fairly warm. So now that you've got them in the greenhouse, be brutal and cut off any stems that aren't looking good. Water and fertilize as long as the (greenhouse) weather's warm, and the plant should put up healthy new growth.

Mine are in the ground, and die back completely if the weather gets cold. But they jump right up once it warms again. They might not bloom until the sun gets stronger in the spring, but it's unlikely they will die even if you let them go dormant and store them under the greenhouse bench.

Same is true of your gingers and cannas.
roxxanne
Houston, PA
(Zone 6a)

October 31, 2012
7:51 PM

Post #9321602

Thanks dyzz! I always cut my cannas back and dig them up then just throw them in my garage. I have gingers now too. They look pretty good in the greenhouse. Maybe I'll just cut the heliconia back and see what happens. You thihnk it's ok to fertilize them now?

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 31, 2012
8:32 PM

Post #9321624

It depends upon how warm you keep your greenhouse, really. If you keep it warm enough for the plants to keep growing, then a bit of light (1/2 strength or less) fertilizer would be good. IF you just keep it warm enough so things don't go dormant or freeze, probably not.

I don't fertilize mine - heli's, gingers or cannas - in the winter. Last winter - a warm one - they stayed green and nice looking all winter but didn't put up new growth until the nights started getting warm - 50's or higher. When I see signs of new growth then I fertilize lightly.

Once it's warm enough that we need the a/c in the house to sleep, I am fertilizing at full strength.
Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

November 3, 2012
5:59 PM

Post #9323904

Any suggestions on where to purchase a heliconia that won't require me to take out a loan??? I have a g'house, so the overwintering is not a problem. I find them rather unique.
roxxanne
Houston, PA
(Zone 6a)

November 6, 2012
6:36 PM

Post #9326514

Did you check ebay?
Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

November 6, 2012
8:59 PM

Post #9326604

I try to avoid it at all costs.
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 7, 2012
3:22 AM

Post #9326698

I got my Heliconias at Home Depot for $9.99 for a 2-gallon pot.
roxxanne
Houston, PA
(Zone 6a)

November 7, 2012
4:52 AM

Post #9326733

I don't know about Wisconsin but here in PA the most tropical Home Depot gets is Areca Palms. I got mine at my local greenhouse, they get a few tropicals at the begining of summer.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 11, 2012
2:49 PM

Post #9330519

Anna, if you'll d-mail me in the spring, I'll send you some starts from mine if you'll reimburse me the postage. I have Lobster Claw, Lady Di (red/cream) and a red/orange one that pops up randomly all over the garden.

No use dividing them now, the stems are huge, and they're on the decline since we've had a few cold nights. But when they start popping up next spring that would be a good time to divide and send you some starts. Warm enough in Wisconsin not to worry about the plants freezing in transit, too!

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

November 11, 2012
3:18 PM

Post #9330546

Oh, thank you. I'll have to write myself a note so I remember.

I like the ones in the 2 photos on the right.
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 11, 2012
3:51 PM

Post #9330572

Elaine, I will trade you for a plant of the last one.
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

November 11, 2012
11:34 PM

Post #9330805

The first 2 are Psittacorum Heliconias, they become very invasive in warmer climates. But they look nice, there's a few different colours including yellow. The 4th one looks like Heliconia rostrata. You can get smaller varieties of those or larger (over 2 metres tall). They can be fairly prolific too.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 12, 2012
6:25 AM

Post #9330970

Luckily, it gets just barely cold enough here in winter to discourage the invasive nature of these guys. They are fairly widely used as landscape features in the shade here. Further south, you mostly see them in big pots or planters that are contained.

I have the orange Psittacorums randomly popping up in a shady border under a big oak tree, and sometimes they wander out into the gravel pathway, but I just yank them up and plant them back in the border. Planted the red/cream ones this summer again under a big oak tree next to the driveway. I'm confident they'll only stray as far as the sprinkler sprays. They do like lots of water!

The Rostratas do much better if I keep them in a pot so I can coddle and protect them. I only got one bloom this year because they're in the border, battling with the oak tree roots. We had two winters that were record cold in '09 and '10 and there weren't any blooms at all after they re-appeared in late spring.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tropical Plants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Justicia spicigera Peter63 2 Oct 24, 2008 9:31 PM
caladium "Gingerland" Eclipse 43 Aug 21, 2012 7:10 PM
Malanga(Yautia) rootdoctor 22 Sep 18, 2010 8:01 AM
Castor Bean contest? rootdoctor 411 Jul 16, 2008 6:48 PM
Musa AE AE fivelabs 228 Jun 12, 2013 12:39 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America