Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sbish5
Saginaw, MI

October 29, 2012
5:27 AM

Post #9318720

Hello, Our youngest son works in the yard with us and has his own "mini" garden where he tries "strange/different" things each year! His favorite thing so far has been his popcorn which becomes our evening treat after Thanksgiving dinner!! Came across the following things and was wondering if anyone might have seeds that they could share for SASE or maybe trade something from my trade list. Interested in finding the following:

zucchini tromboncino
snake gourd
bottle gourd crane head

Please feel free to send me a d-mail if you have any of these things for him to try next year!!

Thank you and have a great day!!
grits74571
Talihina, OK

October 29, 2012
9:26 AM

Post #9318996

I sent you a e-mail rather a D-mail but it looks like from here I can send more oix A word of caution if he only has a mini garden this is not the plant for him but you are still welcome to the seeds

Thumbnail by grits74571   Thumbnail by grits74571         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

November 7, 2012
2:36 PM

Post #9327203

Want to try any Bok Choy or Michihili Chinese cabbage? Bok Chjoy looks a little alien if you aren't used to it.

Or red or purple Tatsoi?

Yrad long beans? (small quantity)
sbish5
Saginaw, MI

November 7, 2012
2:50 PM

Post #9327220

Hello Rick, Sure!! Anything "strange" or "unusual" that would keep him interested in gardening is open to us!! Would you like me to send postage?? If so, just let me know!! Thanks

Shirley

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

November 7, 2012
3:02 PM

Post #9327236

No, that's OK. Please don't send any postage, because I don't know how long it will take to get around to it. If I'm REALLY slow ... well, most of them do better in the Fall than Spring, anyway!

I found your address in the Address Exchange and aded it to my "TO" list.

One thing I'll be sure to include is some VERY cold-hardy "leaf broccoli" . Mine over-wintered despite snow and ice, then burst into bloom and was gorgeous very early the next Spring.

Two advantages of these Brassicas is that they are easy to germinate and grow very fast.
sbish5
Saginaw, MI

November 7, 2012
3:04 PM

Post #9327239

That's great!! Look forward to receiving them!! THANK YOU

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

November 7, 2012
4:20 PM

Post #9327303

You're very welcome. Somehow I acquired the hobby of proselytising Asian greens, especially Brassicas. I love Bok Choy, and their amzing variety and hybrids delight me.

I hope your son finds them unusual enough!

Thumbnail by RickCorey_WA   Thumbnail by RickCorey_WA   Thumbnail by RickCorey_WA   Thumbnail by RickCorey_WA   Thumbnail by RickCorey_WA
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Gracye
Warrenton, VA

December 8, 2012
6:06 PM

Post #9353309

Doggone Brussels Sprouts must be from some other planet...
rjogden
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 9, 2012
12:03 AM

Post #9353421

RickCorey_WA wrote:I love Bok Choy, and their amzing variety and hybrids delight me.

Rick, how do you prepare it? I always seem to end up with chewy stems and mushy leaves, even when I cut them apart and start cooking the stems first. I use that technique with Swiss chard and it usually turns out great, but the Pak Choi doesn't seem to like it. And if I cook the stems long enough to make them fork-tender, I start getting that "overcooked cabbage" smell.

-Rich
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 9, 2012
12:26 AM

Post #9353426

It depends probably on what you mean by "fork tender". I stir fry my Napa cabbage and I call what I get, "tender crisp". I dont do anything special, just cut it in about 2" pieces.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 10, 2012
6:03 PM

Post #9355104

The leaves only need a moment of brisk boiling, or could probably be steamed.
I cut them up a little, get the soup boiling well, then throw them in . By the time I bring it back to a simmer, they're plenty c ooked.

Or harvest them young and use them in salad as "baby leaves"

Stems, I prefer raw! Crunchy-sweet. Like celery, expcet that they taste good and don't have strings unless they are WAY too old.

Seriously: sow twice as many half as far apart, then eat 1/2 of them at 1/2 size. The rezst, maybe eat smaller than you have been.

I do put them into soup, but I would not have bet that they COULD be boiled enough to take the "crisp" out. If they're warm all the way through, that's fine by me.

I think stir-fry is the same idea: warm or hot, b ut designed to be crisp and crunchy..

M y mother also wanted to boil them into submission. But then they are "Bok GOO", not Bok Choy.

rjogden
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 10, 2012
9:58 PM

Post #9355235

Thanks!

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 11, 2012
7:10 PM

Post #9355967

I forgot to suggest two ways of chopping stems so they cook (or at least heat up) faster.

Mostly lengthwise, into 1.5 or 2 in che lengths, then slice those lengbtghwise to get aroun d the thickn ess of a penc il or somewhat less.

Or, if you're convincing skpetical people into accepting them cooked or raw as a celery substitute, cut U-sshaped slicces 1/4" - 1/3" thick, perpendicular to the stalk. However, near the base of the stalk, also slice each "U" slice them in 1/2 or thirds, so they don't look like "big, tough stems". .

Needless to say, eveything tastes better with garlic and butter. Maybe a splash of soy sauce to prove it's "Chinese" cuisine. :-)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America