Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Spygarden
Allentown, PA

October 29, 2012
7:08 AM

Post #9318815

This Spring I planted a large number of Tequila Sunrise Coreopsis. The plants quadrupled in size with strong, healthy foliage. However they didn't bloom . . .not one flower. Since this is a new bed I was conscientious about amending the soil but I'm wondering if I made it too rich.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

November 30, 2012
10:24 AM

Post #9346249

The 1st year of planting it would be establishing strong roots, next year you should see some blooms, by the 3rd year it should be going gang busters
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 9, 2013
3:32 PM

Post #9380373

I used to watch the gardening tv show Renee's Garden and her saying about most perennials was "The first year they sleep, second year they creep and the third year they leap." Found that statement to be true=) I'm terribly impatient for my flowers so perennials are always a challenge for me in that regard:lol: Sounds like your plants are happy where they are and doing well--right on track.
Sensiblelynne

(Zone 5a)

January 10, 2013
10:58 AM

Post #9381045

Yep, I agree. Peonies are a classic example of this 3 year plan. Just need a bit of patience.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

January 13, 2013
4:38 PM

Post #9383997

Spy...if they don't begin bloom in late spring I would consider contacting the seller...To be honest, they should have bloomed...I've grown many of the coreopsis and they almost always bloom even 1rst year from seed...We had been in the middle of a severe drought this last summer (hoping this year is remedied!!!), but even my Coreopsis bloomed fantastically. Where did you obtain them?

Pix 1 is Coreopsis rosea Heavens Gate
Pix 2 is Coreopsis grandiflora Sunrise
Pix 3 is Coreopsis veticillata Moonbeam

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 13, 2013
8:11 PM

Post #9384124

I can't speak for ones grown from seed since I've never started them that way, but ones that I've bought as small plants in the spring most of the time haven't bloomed until their second year. They take the first year to really get their roots going, then start blooming the second year. With seeds, it probably depends somewhat on when you start them. If you're a bit on the late side that would also likely make them hold off until year 2 to bloom.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America