Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Coreopsis

Allentown, PA

This Spring I planted a large number of Tequila Sunrise Coreopsis. The plants quadrupled in size with strong, healthy foliage. However they didn't bloom . . .not one flower. Since this is a new bed I was conscientious about amending the soil but I'm wondering if I made it too rich.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

The 1st year of planting it would be establishing strong roots, next year you should see some blooms, by the 3rd year it should be going gang busters

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I used to watch the gardening tv show Renee's Garden and her saying about most perennials was "The first year they sleep, second year they creep and the third year they leap." Found that statement to be true=) I'm terribly impatient for my flowers so perennials are always a challenge for me in that regard:lol: Sounds like your plants are happy where they are and doing well--right on track.

(Zone 5a)

Yep, I agree. Peonies are a classic example of this 3 year plan. Just need a bit of patience.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Spy...if they don't begin bloom in late spring I would consider contacting the seller....To be honest, they should have bloomed....I've grown many of the coreopsis and they almost always bloom even 1rst year from seed....We had been in the middle of a severe drought this last summer (hoping this year is remedied!!!), but even my Coreopsis bloomed fantastically. Where did you obtain them?

Pix 1 is Coreopsis rosea Heavens Gate
Pix 2 is Coreopsis grandiflora Sunrise
Pix 3 is Coreopsis veticillata Moonbeam

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I can't speak for ones grown from seed since I've never started them that way, but ones that I've bought as small plants in the spring most of the time haven't bloomed until their second year. They take the first year to really get their roots going, then start blooming the second year. With seeds, it probably depends somewhat on when you start them. If you're a bit on the late side that would also likely make them hold off until year 2 to bloom.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.