Photo by Melody

Article: Garden Myths Busted: Sun+Water, Nursery Tags and Landscape Fabric: It ain't necessarily so.

Communities > Forums > Article: Garden Myths Busted: Sun+Water, Nursery Tags and Landscape Fabric
bookmark
Forum: Article: Garden Myths Busted: Sun+Water, Nursery Tags and Landscape FabricReplies: 3, Views: 82
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dahlmarye
Dewey-Humboldt, AZ

October 29, 2012
7:12 AM

Post #9318821

As happens so often with garden advice, it doesn't take into account all growing conditions. The myth about water scorching leaves is not a myth here in the Southwest. I can assure you that overhead watering of roses WILL scorch the leaves. Other plants don't seem affected. Also, it is perfectly acceptable, even desirable to water at night here. The plants get more of the moisture and are ready to face the heat of the next day. Difference in growing conditions is why, when asked for garden advice, I almost always start with, "Depends."
lubab
Sherman, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 29, 2012
8:12 AM

Post #9318888

Absolutely agree with dahlmarye! If you'll water your plants overhead in 104 F in sun after 10 am in Texas (I am talking about North Texas) - leaves will scorch. The best results I had is to water plants after sunset.
tx_flower_child
Dallas, TX

October 29, 2012
5:34 PM

Post #9319543

I've not had leaf scorch from watering during the day in TX. Of course I'm more interested in watering the soil than the leaves, but the leaves do still get wet. But I disagree that it's not good to water at night. It rains at night, doesn't it? Do most plants get fungal diseases or whatever every time Mother Nature decides to rain at night? I think not.
Sceloporous
Lebanon, PA

November 3, 2012
1:27 AM

Post #9323347

I agree with tx flower child. Hard to tell Mother Nature to hold back that thunderstorm til early the next morning. Here in Pa, they usually dump their loads of rain in late afternoon, evening, or nighttime. Long before man worried about fungal disease, Nature took care of her plants in this way. Should they not have evolved to combat the disease...or died off due to their weakness? There are no pampered plants in the wild.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Garden Myths Busted: Sun+Water, Nursery Tags and Landscape Fabric Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Geotextiles cooked 1 Oct 30, 2012 2:03 PM
Thanks again! jazzy1okc 0 Oct 29, 2012 5:13 AM
Yes marti001 2 Oct 29, 2012 1:20 PM
Reason I quit using landscape fabric beachbum8 1 Oct 30, 2012 3:53 AM
AgreeNO to landscape cloth hsl2000 1 Jan 2, 2013 10:19 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America