(Zone 7a)
There are a total of 109 votes:

I'm a single gardening gal.
(34 votes, 31%)
Red dot

I'm a single gardening guy.
(14 votes, 12%)
Red dot

I'm a gardening mom with some help from my family.
(17 votes, 15%)
Red dot

I'm a gardening dad with help from my family.
(2 votes, 1%)
Red dot

I'm half of a gardening dynamic duo (who's the most gung-ho gardener?)
(19 votes, 17%)
Red dot

Other? (tell us!)
(23 votes, 21%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

(Zone 7a)

I am a married gal with a DH who follows direction very well. He has gotten so he knows a few Latin names, though! LOL

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I am an old time gardener, meaning I have been at it a long time.
Crew here is me, the one planting flower beds & doing the book work.
My son who does all the bull work.
My wife who helps where she can & raises the house plants.
One full time gal with a BS in horticulture from U of MN.
Assorted other helpers during the summer.
All to keep 11 acres looking nice with 5 acres of it producing veggies for a farmers market.
Bernie

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Married mom, sometimes the kids help, hubby is in charge of mowing, weed wacking and fertilizer

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

I am a married mom & grand mom and no help from anybody. I can't even pay people to help me.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I voted other Because I plain old did not want to say and wanted to watch the thread,how's that for cheating lol

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Other: I am a gardener, my husband is a golfer. Whatever one spends on their hobby, the other has carte blanche to do the same. Works well for both of us.

P.S. I was confused if 'single' meant marital status or garden participant status.

Anna, IL

foxys
Southern Illinois
(zone 6b)

I would have to vote BOTH He the digging,mowing, weed wacking stuff but also a great idea man. I buy, plant, put away tools and harvest our goodies and flowers. We both enjoy and share the work that needs to be done so we can both enjoy what we have accomplished.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Single gal and the only thing I don't do is run the rototiller to make new beds. I leave that for the guys. lol. Everything else I do myself. Some beds I actually dig out by hand due to tree roots being so close to surface or size of bed.

in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Married buy plants. Hubby digs holes. Together enjoy garden.

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Quote from rose318 :
Married buy plants. Hubby digs holes. Together enjoy garden.

what rose said, I echo. Joe also loves to take pictures of my different blooms.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Funny that my e-mail address contains "garden mom" & my kids gave me a "garden mom" t-shirt, so I guess that's me! Only now, I garden with my little grand-daughter, so I guess that also makes me a "garden grandma" too!

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

I guess I am a single gardening gal. My DH is in a wheelchair and just can't help much. But I checked other because I have fibromyalia and lately I can't do much either. I have hired a 'friend of a friend' to do much of the work...mostly weeding, because I just can't keep up. But I miss it so much and hope to get back out there more ASAP.

This blue clematis is growing beautifull with ros

Calgary, Canada

Gardening grandmother here. Trying to do most of it myself still,
but I take short cuts and make things easier when I can.
Many of my plantings are in containers. Use a long handled weeder.
Planting more shrubs, and perennials so there is not so much transplanting.
Get rid of lawn areas.

Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

Gardening grandpa who does all the work, but shares the spoils.

Hanceville, AL(Zone 7a)

Gardening grandma who can't dig post holes and has to rely on hubby with bad back. This summer my oldest son in law and oldest grandson helped with the breaking up of the garden. I have a mantis tiller to use instead of hoe, but sometimes a hoe is the only thing that will work. We had some really good beans and tomatoes this summer. Squash was hit by borers. Next year I am going to plant more to put in freezer. Always looking forward. Luciee {;^)

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Flying solo, sharing the seedlings with friends and the bounty with family!

I actually built all my own raised beds (RBs), since I have a great friend who's taken me under his tutelage as an apprentice carpenter. Our very last lesson was on how to use pipe clamps to pull in the bowed ends so the RB box(es) could be screwed together properly.

I'me very proud of those beds. They were a LABOR of love, and working quite nicely! Here's a pic!

Thumbnail by Gymgirl Thumbnail by Gymgirl
Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Originally, it was just me: My husband was not interested; it was Mom with two little children. Now, kids are grown and gone, and it's both of us. It's been a long process. My husband slowly became more interested in gardening. He noticed the beauty, serenity and backyard birds and became more interested in making our yard our own little haven.
It keeps both of us more physically, mentally and emotionally proficient.
Whether its enjoying a cup of coffee while we watch and listen to the Purple Martins circle and chatter, or the Carolina Wren sing, or stroll through the garden together enjoying the beauty of nature, or plan together our next gardening project, or sit on our deck having lunch and watching the hummers, it all makes life richer.

jeri11: I too, would like to find someone to help with gardening chores, but no one is interested. Plus, you have to trust them not to return when you're not home.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

birder17 I do what I can and what I can't is still there tomorrow. LOL!!! TG! For tomorrow!

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

LOL Jerri! Saw your comment above... I need to find someone to pay when we are gone. We are tied to home too much. My DH still is outside all the time until late afternoon. I do less and less, but I am not happy that way. I loved when I was nuturing my plants. I need to get into shape so I canget back out there!

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

LOL!!! Carol!! Ain't that the truth!!! I hope you are not out of shape for health reason!!! Hadn't seen you in a while, either!!

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Mostly just older. And fatter. Back pain and all that. But it may be getting better. Just turned 64!

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

The gardens are all mine, including the rototilling when that was needed. No one else is too interested although DH is very encouraging and says nice things about my gardens. For the most part, no one even sees them but me.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

I know what you are talking about Mary. I have to drag my carport customers(I sell metal buildings at home) back there after I get their money.

lol. If I mention a new flower or a special plant my daughter (38 years old) all but runs screaming for the door, or sighs heavily and with a long suffering look schlumps to my 'hidden gardens' out back to endure yet another rapturous monologue on flowers. Thank heavens for Dave's Garden or I would probably never leave my garden at all.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

I know!! If not for DG I would have never met any of you.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

And to think some good people left all their friends here to join "greener pastures".
Once in a while one will come back.

I did a brief sojourn in those pastures. Nice folk there but this is 'home' for some reason

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

LOL!!! It took me a minute to figure out what Yall were talking about. At first I thought you were saying they died. Certainly glad that wasn't the case. I check out all the forums but this is still my favorite. You know how first loves are!!!

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

I said "other" because my husband does help out, but unless it's something he can eat, he really doesn't care. So, it's mostly me, which is just fine!
Barb

Crossville, TN

I'm an Old, single lady that has to depend on my 17 YO DGS for any help other than watering for a wee strip of a flower bed that I maintain each year. What I enjoy most is reading about others here on DG and learning about gardening....although I will never get to the stage of "being a good gardner" I will always enjoy you folks here on DG!! Love you! Jo

Talihina, OK

I posted other which is due some explaining,i am married but my wife has no interest beyond house plants,tho she will eat tomatoes and cukes,beyond that it is just me ..I am also teachning a class and it is a hands on thing we have 3 different beds at the Talihina Public Library which is on city property..And the city contributes money for seeds and plants a pic of our merry group I am the one sitting

Thumbnail by grits74571
Talihina, OK

Not the pic I thought I am the one taking the picture

Talihina, OK

Turned out pretty good from bare ground to this

Thumbnail by grits74571
Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

Grits,
Nice! And the City's support will help keep all your hard work going in the long run.
Barb

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

LOL! Grits.....Just as you got us to realize you were male, you through us a curve ball!

I put duo...but the DH is not much on helping in my 20 flower gardening beds, but he does a nice job on keeping the deck looking pretty with various bloomers. He also takes lots of pictures but I never seem to have time to post them!

Talihina, OK

Sheila don't you remember when we did the thread where everyone posted a pic of themselves and yes i am male and not very young but still take of my own gardens plus the ones for the city...

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Yes, but your pic above says you are the one sitting down! LOL! You may need to edit that post!

Talihina, OK

Well ya know them little thumbnail pix I just got the wrong picture

Talihina, OK

Roadrunner did you make your trip accross Oklahoma in May as you had planned..And if so what did you thik of all the greenery??

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images