-
AuthorContent
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

October 29, 2012
1:05 PM

Post #9319272

Do we have any members who live in Alaska? I found a rose I would love to have and it is called Sitka. They say it grows wild in Alaska. Here is a picture I got for it.If someone has it or can get it from the wild for me, I would really love to add it to my collection. Please contact me!!

Thumbnail by marti001
Click the image for an enlarged view.

terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 30, 2012
6:50 AM

Post #9319981

Marti001, I've heard about Sitka. I think that is the one said to have been brought to Alaska by a Russian noble to honor his lost love. I read a lot of older rose and gardening books so I'm not sure where I found that story. Help Me Find lists it as a hybrid rugosa, and Antique Rose Emporium list it but they don't have stock--probably will this spring though. I've also seen it listed as a species rose so I'm not really sure about it. A lot of Rugosas will grow wild and I have really good luck with them in my Chicago area garden. Just getting started with them here in Texas. So far so good.

Perhaps you could write to the Alaskan Rose Society and see if someone would send you cuttings?
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

October 30, 2012
7:11 AM

Post #9320014

Good idea! Thank you so much

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Roses Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A Rose Bush Called Betty Boop Carol7 18 May 26, 2010 10:56 AM
Rose Hip/Seed Question Bloomer 7 Oct 23, 2009 10:35 PM
I Maimed my Zepherine Droughin Climber! :o( gardenwife 20 Jul 30, 2012 11:17 AM
Bayer Rose & Flower Care paulgrow 27 Sep 19, 2012 6:34 AM
Any such thing as a blue rose? discodancer4 11 Mar 7, 2010 11:06 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America