Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

October 29, 2012
4:24 PM

Post #9319494

I carved out a turnip this evening and put a candle in it to make it a little lamp.
By the way you need to make the holes big so the flame gets enough oxygen to burn.

I wished I had done this years ago.

I have always raised turnips in the fall. I loved them as a child. My family barely touches them - I some times wonder why I bother with turnips and why don't they love them as much as I do???
Now my kids are grown, but tonight - I carved out the turnip and put a light in it. They were amused.

To my surprise - both of my adult kids did not know that the idea for Jack o' laterns started with turnips in Ireland or Scotland!!!!!!

How could they not know in this day and age of education and all the reading they have done.

Still it made an interesting evening and they were entertained.
Now I wonder if I had done the lamp thing years ago - I might have made them more interested in eating turnips too???

Of course I don't see how you could not love a good crisp - sweet turnip?

But if any of you have young ones -- this might be a good thing to do to get them to eat more vegetables.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 28, 2014
5:11 AM

Post #9965699

Fall vegetables are SO good. And if you have a root cellar, you're set for a winter of tasty delights. My mom made here own mixed vegetables, (macédoine de légumes), although canned mixed veggies were readily available at the grocery store. My mom always scoffed at canned vegetables, and rightly so.

Mixed vegetables were a very popular side dish in our family. She patiently diced carrots, turnips, parsnips, rutabagas, onions, celery into small little cubes. She boiled them in salted water and the secret ingredient: a tablespoon of sugar. What a tablespoon of sugar did in a large pot of walted water, I don't know for sure. But the recipe lacked a little something if she didn't put it in.

Finely diced, those vegetables cooked quickly. It was my job to check for doneness every few minutes. When I gave the signal, she drained the water and returned the vegetables to the pot. She then threw in a generous amount of butter and dehydrated parsley. I still make it. I am good with a chef's knife, so my dicing techniques are speedier than my mom. Like her, I make a big batch because it can easily be reheated in a microwave. Those leftovers don't freeze well. Sometimes, when the potatoes are cooked, I'll put leftover mixed vegetables in the water for a few minutes to warm them up. I then drain the whole thing and mash them with butter and milk: deluxe mashed potatoes, if you ask me.

Give it a try, you may like it.
Sylvain.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Story of the Jack O'Lantern Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great phicks 1 Oct 28, 2008 6:44 PM
Interesting Aunt_A 4 Oct 28, 2012 12:12 PM
Yep! Seedtosser1 1 Oct 29, 2008 2:36 PM
Question... Robubba 1 Dec 29, 2008 10:40 PM
Religious propaganda gardenerLew 6 Oct 15, 2013 8:38 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America