Bugs on Bug : what are these?

Kendall, WA

this beetle (of some sort - that's the first question), is covered by little beetles(?) or somethings - that's the second question. Is this procreation or parasites? Does anyone know what's going on here? The image was taken near Maple Falls, Washington in July(ish). This is the northwest corner of Washington state, in the Mt. Baker foothills: cedars, alders, big leaf maples. Closest big tree was a big leaf maple.

Thumbnail by BeekeeperBean Thumbnail by BeekeeperBean
Minot, ND

Looks like a carrion beetle in the genus Nicophorus carrying a load of mites that are hitching a ride to the beetle's next food source
http://plantsand-animals.blogspot.com/2009/06/mitey-burying-beetle.html

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

wow!

(Zone 7a)

I agree. Wow, indeed.

(Hi, Sally!)

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Hi kwanjin- I knew you'd like this!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

If you don't click on the second photo and enlarge it, it looks like a stone covered with a swatch of pink beaded fabric. Add another 'Wow".

(Zone 7a)

I do! LOL

IJAMSVILLE, MD(Zone 7a)

Large black spider with yellow stripes.I ran across this fellow when I was cutting down a maple tree.There was a funnel web nearby,but I've never seen a funnel weaver with a body the size of a penny.I would like to know if anyone knows what this could be?

Minot, ND

Unless you saw the spider on the web, they may be unrelated. Spider could be an Argiope sp.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.