-
AuthorContent
3pmp
Slocan, BC
(Zone 3a)

October 29, 2012
9:09 PM

Post #9319750

Hi Mitch, I enjoyed reading your article on the history of the Jack O lantern in the early days before all of the trick or treating. Our Pastor in our church where I live gave us the story of Guy Fawkes and the story behind his relationship to Halloween. I do not put out Jack O lanterns at Halloween but I give out lots of candy to all the kids who come to my front door at night. I will probably have goodies left over this year since I bought more because I was all out of goodies last year before the last child came to the door. I love pumpkins for what they can do for me with good desserts that I can have this Fall and Winter. Happy Halloween to you and your family.

Alan (3pmp)
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

November 4, 2014
11:58 AM

Post #9969546

Guy Fawkes has no relationship with Halloween...

He was part of a Catholic plot to blow up the English Houses of Parliament.

He was punished horribly & then somewhat demonised by the mainly Protestant English.

That is a much simplified version of the history - November 5th is Guy Fawkes night & still celebrated with fireworks in many Commonwealth countries.

Halloween is an ancient tradition that the Americans maintained & adapted when many countries stopped celebrating it.
It does make me laugh when in Commonwealth countries it is referred to as an American tradition as it predates colonisation of the USA by centuries.

According to my Irish friends Halloween is still an important date on their calendar.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Story of the Jack O'Lantern Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great phicks 1 Oct 28, 2008 6:44 PM
Interesting Aunt_A 4 Oct 28, 2012 12:12 PM
Yep! Seedtosser1 1 Oct 29, 2008 2:36 PM
Question... Robubba 1 Dec 29, 2008 10:40 PM
Religious propaganda gardenerLew 6 Oct 15, 2013 8:38 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America