Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

California Gardening: Need advice on growing Morning Glories.

Communities > Forums > California Gardening
bookmark
Forum: California GardeningReplies: 5, Views: 62
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 29, 2012
10:05 PM

Post #9319766

I tried growing Morning Glories this past year with some pretty pitiful results.
Between getting a late start and not getting much heat this summer here on the central coast they never really did much.
I've decided to start earlier this year but how early should I start?
I have a mat and a grow light, even an unheated greenhouse, any suggestions would be appreciated.
Dee
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 29, 2012
7:24 AM

Post #9345309

After i planted mine the first year they have come back every year whenever they feel like it, it seems. frost kills them here, so i would wait until after the frost to direct sow, maybe 4 weeks before that for winter sowing. just my opinion, sure am not an expert, but i do love them.

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 29, 2012
9:25 AM

Post #9345392

Well, I think I'm going to start some indoors in January and then put them out late February, that should put them on the "getting warmer" side of winter.
I can also keep them in 4" pots in the greenhouse for awhile if it's still too cold.
Thanks for the response, I'd really like to get some going.
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 29, 2012
11:48 AM

Post #9345499

the seeds must be pretty tough because it freezes here a lot in the winter and there are always mgs in the spring. with the last hot spell some came up this week, but i am sure i will lose them at the next frost day.

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 29, 2012
8:30 PM

Post #9345904

The weather has been so odd here that I have daffodils blooming and leaves falling off the trees at the same time.
That's why I think I'll start them indoors when it's good and cold out so they don't come up too soon outside and then freeze down. I have all kinds of annuals coming up now too annd I'm afraid they will probably all die back next month and I won't have any come up in Spring. It doesn't always freeze here in winter, maybe I'll be lucky and some of these will survive, I have all these cute white dwarf marguerites coming up, and nasturiums. and cosmos. . . boo hoo.
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 30, 2012
8:37 AM

Post #9346188

i cant even figure out what to do about next years plantings. I agree this year was the oddest weather wise.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other California Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hello fellow Californians....let's introduce ourselves! Kachinagirl 398 Mar 12, 2011 9:02 PM
Your area's best nurseries srkrause 98 Aug 9, 2007 10:51 PM
Any gopher solutions? Zuzu 410 Nov 19, 2011 8:08 PM
Procrastinating and Pots Happenstance 114 May 8, 2007 11:53 AM
Anyone else have squirrel problems? lilystorm 23 Aug 2, 2008 6:40 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America