Photo by Melody

Article: Cosmos species from the Americas are easy annuals: I learned so much!

Communities > Forums > Article: Cosmos species from the Americas are easy annuals
bookmark
Forum: Article: Cosmos species from the Americas are easy annualsReplies: 2, Views: 13
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

gwen21

gwen21
Gurnee, IL
(Zone 5b)

October 30, 2012
6:48 AM

Post #9319978

Now I understand why the seeds I sowed months ago did not bloom until recently -- day length! I kept fertilizing them, thinking that was the problem, but it only seemed to make them taller -- once again, now I know why. I will watch for seedlings next summer. Thanks for a great article, Carrie!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 30, 2012
7:00 AM

Post #9319997

Ditto- Very interesting on what I used to think of as common Cosmos. Now I know why mine bloomed so darn late.
I've seen some beautiful stands of them (bipinnatus) along the highways. Great stands of purple, pink and white which can be recognized by anyone who's grown them from packets. So they must be easy for wildflower sowing.
Thanks for the article!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 30, 2012
7:52 AM

Post #9320081

Yes and yes! Gwen, fertilizer will not make them bloom and is usually not needed except for the frilliest types. Sally, your swaths of purple pink and white sound gorgeous! Thank you both.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Cosmos species from the Americas are easy annuals Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great article! adinamiti 8 Nov 1, 2012 10:44 AM
cosmos gbirdie 1 Jul 17, 2013 2:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America