Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

October 30, 2012
2:52 PM

Post #9320425

There's always room for more folks to join us. If you're just stumbling upon our Birthday thread or have lurked in the past and would like to join the fun, here's how our group works. During your Birth Month, you will receive a Birthday Card from each of the other participants. And in turn, you are to mail a Birthday Card to each participant during their Birth Month. Who doesn't enjoy receiving a thoughtful Card instead of junk mail and bills? A Card and a 1st Class Stamp, it's as simple as that. Purchased and handcrafted Cards are both welcome. Come on and have some fun!!!!

November Birthday(s):
sbish5/Shirley

Current Birthday Club Members:
Rouxcrew / Joy -- January 15
lanakila/Lanakila -- January 22
Irisluvr0252 / Debbie -- February 25
ClanCampbell / Chris -- February 28
hartzell81 / Heather -- March 3
Goldhillal / Crystal -- March 21
AmandaEsq / Amanda -- April 6
FruitoftheVine / Susan -- April 9
Crit / Patti -- May 10
Mud_Elf / Kris -- May 10
ahoogstra/Alicia -- May 17
taters55 / Linda Kay -- June 13
texaslady62 / Lori -- June 27
kohndr / Kobi -- July 2
Goober_Fairy/Kaitlyn -- August 5
GAgirl1066 / Paula -- September 1
GardenQuail / Michelle -- October 28
Sbish5/ Shirley --- November 1
Dahtzu / Faye -- December 25
Hope43 / Twyla -- December 28

In April, we agreed these folks will be responsible to start new monthly threads:
Goldhillal (Crystal) -- January
Rouxcrew (Joy) -- February
Mud_Elf / Kris -- March
Irisluvr0252 (Debbie) -- April
AmandaEsq (Amanda) -- May
FruitoftheVine- (Susan) -- June
Crit (Patti) -- July
taters55 (LK) -- August
GardenQuail (Michelle) -- September
taters55 (LK) -- October
GAgirl1066 (Paula) -- November
ClanCampbell (Chris) -- December

This message was edited Oct 31, 2012 5:48 AM

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066
Click the image for an enlarged view.

lanakila

lanakila
Holly Springs, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 30, 2012
4:00 PM

Post #9320496

Rvnsbrk / Juanita -- October 9 is missing from this list :(
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 30, 2012
4:58 PM

Post #9320532

Oh, the beach...how I'd love to be there!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 30, 2012
6:17 PM

Post #9320584

Juanita is not officially in the group, she ran this group for a long time, and has other things to do, so we sent her a card just because we care about her! That is why we are taking turns running different months.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 30, 2012
6:52 PM

Post #9320619

Does anybody else think it's time for a roll call? Several folks on the list haven't posted for a long time.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 30, 2012
7:43 PM

Post #9320666

Sounds good to me, if you're still with us, please pop in and let us know!

Linda Kay, ... here!
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 31, 2012
12:03 AM

Post #9320777

Hi, all.
I'm here! :)
Been thinking we might want to dmail those we haven't heard from in a while. Wondering if they lost there way now that we're trading off hosting? And we could remind them to drop by now and then so we know they're still with us?
Oh, Paula, can you add in the list of who's signed up to host which month up top, too? Thanks!
Hey, and I FINALLY got Neener's and Shirley's cards ready to go :) They should make it to the post office Wednesday, but will post to let you know for sure.
Michelle
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

October 31, 2012
3:47 AM

Post #9320816

Sorry about that..I copied it, but I guess it didn't transfer over.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

October 31, 2012
3:52 AM

Post #9320817

woohoo...I'm getting good...thought I would have to ask for help...but I did it!!

Fruity..that's why I posted that picture..at the moment I was wishing I was back there. How are you..did you get any of that awful snow??

Lk and michelle...glad your here too!

Happy Halloween!!!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 31, 2012
5:20 AM

Post #9320863

Happy Halloween everyone!

Thumbnail by taters55

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

October 31, 2012
8:47 AM

Post #9321080

I'm still here. Been looking at the awful devastation caused by Sandy. Looks like it could be as bad as Katrinia. Bigger area because of the snow.
Warming up here in Alabama, but still nary drop of rain. I had an inch on Sept 19, and 0.1 inch since then.
sbish5
Saginaw, MI

October 31, 2012
9:18 AM

Post #9321100

HAPPY HALLOWEEN !!!! Hope everyone in the storm area is dry & safe!!!

and hopefully you will be receiving your b-day card soon Michelle!! (yes even with good intentions your card still got mailed out late:( mailed it out saturday so hopefully you will receive it soon!!

Have a great day everyone!!

Shirley

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 31, 2012
9:34 AM

Post #9321118

I am here. Goober is at school...
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 31, 2012
10:38 AM

Post #9321177

GardenQuail wrote:Hi, all.
I'm here! :)
Been thinking we might want to dmail those we haven't heard from in a while. Wondering if they lost there way now that we're trading off hosting? And we could remind them to drop by now and then so we know they're still with us?
Oh, Paula, can you add in the list of who's signed up to host which month up top, too? Thanks!
Hey, and I FINALLY got Neener's and Shirley's cards ready to go :) They should make it to the post office Wednesday, but will post to let you know for sure.
Michelle

Now you all understand why I needed a break. Riding herd on adults is not my deal. :0) Love you guys,

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 31, 2012
2:46 PM

Post #9321343

All we had was a smidgen of rain and a lot of wind.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

October 31, 2012
5:00 PM

Post #9321446

I am here.

For those of you that know the story of my back, and I've been out of commission since August 20th when I pinched a nerve back there, my pain mgmt doc wanted to do an MRI so that was done Wednesday. I went in for my injection today and he told me that I have a herniated disk at L3-L4. That is the disk right at the top of my fusion of L4, L5 and S1. I had been told that was a possibility when I had my surgery done because it now takes all the weight of my spine. So, that is the culprit of my pinched nerve. It is sticking out there and has something in a bind. UGH! We are going to continue the injections as we have been and concentrate on that area. Hopefully we can avoid another surgery.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 1, 2012
3:55 AM

Post #9321699

Happy Birthday, Shirley! May all your blooms come true :)

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

November 1, 2012
4:14 AM

Post #9321714

Happy Birthday Shirley! Hope you have a wonderful day!

TODAYS FUN FLOWER FACTS:

Daisies are symbolic of innocence and beauty.
Irises/Lilies symbolize "resurrection/life" and are popular for burials.
Apple Blossom gives meaning of hope, good fortune, and better things to come.
Blue periwinkle is symbolic of friendship.
Blue violets mean modesty and faithfulness.
Camellias mean loveliness and gratitude.
Gardenias symbolize a secret and untold love.
Forget-Me-Nots mean true love and remembrance.
Honeysuckles symbolize devoted affection, generosity
Hyacinth - Loveliness
Hydrangea - Boastfulness
Iris - Warmth of affection
Ivy- Eternal fidelity
Jasmine - Amiability
Larkspur - Laughter
Lemon Blossoms - Fidelity in love
Lilac - First Love
White Lilac - Youthful innocence
Lily - Majesty
Lily-of-the-Valley - Return of happiness
Magnolia - Perseverance
Marigold - Affection
Mimosa - Secret love
Myrtle - Love, remembrance
Orange Blossoms - Purity, fertility
Orchids - Rare beauty
Peach Blossoms - Captive
Peony -Bashfulness
Poppies symbolize a consolation in time of death. In many countries, such as the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom, red poppies are worn to commemorate veterans who died in war.
Rosemary - Remembrance
Sweet Pea - Delicate pleasures
Tulip - Love
Violet - Affection, faithfulness, modesty
Yellow Tulip - Hopeless love

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 1, 2012
4:45 AM

Post #9321724

Happy Birthday SHirley! Hope you have a great day!

Thumbnail by taters55

GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 1, 2012
8:52 PM

Post #9322435

Hi, all.
Shirley, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! Hope your day was a very special one :)
Neener and Shirley, your cards finally made it to the post office this morning (Thursday)! As usual, they're signed by me and my guide dog :)
And I hope everyone had a good Halloween.
Michelle
sbish5
Saginaw, MI

November 2, 2012
4:24 AM

Post #9322536

Hello everyone, Thank you to all for the wonderful birthday wishes!

Thank you Faye for the beautiful card!

Thank you Crystal for the beautiful card!

Received a perpetual birthday card from Lanakila!! Know exactly who I am going to send it on to! Says to send to someone outside the birthday club swap . Picture of card posted below!

Thumbnail by sbish5   Thumbnail by sbish5         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

lanakila

lanakila
Holly Springs, NC
(Zone 7b)

November 2, 2012
9:30 AM

Post #9322777

That card with the honeycreeper on it is gorgeous. I adore songbirds so many of my writing papers have some kind of bird on them. Is it an Audubon card?
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

November 2, 2012
11:32 AM

Post #9322846

Hello everyone, been busy running errands all day. Lowes had all there fruit trees and plants 50% off. Bought 2 fig, 2 pear, 2 plum, 3 blackberry, 2 blueberry, 2 raspberry, 1 peach,a red maple, and a beautiful japanese maple (lace leaf).

Today's fun flower fact.

- The Daisy got its name because the yellow center resembled the sun. It was commonly known as the “day’s eye” and over time, was eventually called daisy.

dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

November 2, 2012
2:35 PM

Post #9322978

Hi all, so glad to be here.
Good job Paula.
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

November 2, 2012
2:58 PM

Post #9322997

Hi all, so glad to be here.
Good job Paula.

Thought I sent this 20 min ago.??? oh well confused again.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 2, 2012
3:28 PM

Post #9323014

The fun flower facts are neatt. Keep 'em coming.

(Hugs, Faye)
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

November 2, 2012
6:55 PM

Post #9323192

Hi Faye,
How is all the 'babies' doing?
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 2, 2012
7:15 PM

Post #9323215

Hi, all.
Today, I received a birthday card from Shirley. It even has braille on it :) Thank you, Shirley!
Paula, sounds like you did well with that sale! Will be really neat when all those trees and bushes begin giving you a harvest... Bet it will be a tasty one!
Faye, looks like both of your messages came through... Must be the gremlins at it again!
Oh, and I like the flower facts, too :)
Well, must go for now. Have a great weekend, everyone!
Michelle
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

November 3, 2012
3:12 AM

Post #9323375

Good Morning all...its Saturday and I SHOULD be sleeping late, but my mind says otherwise.

Inspected my plants that I haven't moved yet into the GH and the cold weather we had the last few days nipped them a little. Got to get my rear in gear and finish getting them tucked away.

Fun flower fact: Onions contain a mild antibiotic that fights infections, soothes burns, tames bee stings and relieves the itch of athletes foot.

dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

November 3, 2012
8:12 AM

Post #9323525

Thank you Susan, need lots of hugs right now. So sorry to always be whining.
Paula, your babies have found a "Happy" home. we are loving one another. Didn't take me long to look forward to the flower facts.
Michelle, I really don't know how the double post happened. I know I sent it, left site, came back to site and there it was waiting to be posted who knows?
Happy week end to you all.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

November 3, 2012
8:36 AM

Post #9323551

Faye,
YOU do not whine!! We are here for you. I have several other babies I can share, but I know you are limited on space, so I will wait till spring.

(((Hugs!!)))
sbish5
Saginaw, MI

November 4, 2012
3:53 AM

Post #9324108

Good morning to everyone, Just wanted to say THANk YOU Susan for the beautiful card I recvd. yesterday!

Thumbnail by sbish5

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 4, 2012
6:27 AM

Post #9324226

Wow, Shirley, your card must have taken the scenic route. Glad you like it.

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

November 4, 2012
7:23 AM

Post #9324270

Good Morning...did everyone remember to set your clocks back???

Fun flower fact;

Every plant in Tomorrowland at Disneyland in Anaheim, California, is edible.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 4, 2012
9:19 AM

Post #9324351

Yes, we have our clocks at the correct time! Thanks for the reminder!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 4, 2012
3:00 PM

Post #9324556

Only had to reset the stove, microwave, and a radio~alarm clock. The wonders of technology did the rest.

What a fabulous fun flower fact!

Michelle, I attached a photo of Amaryllis 'Lemon Lime' that's blooming now. Took a whiff for you but didn't detect a fragrance.

Look who's next so far...you, Dear Faye, on Christmas Day :)

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine

lanakila

lanakila
Holly Springs, NC
(Zone 7b)

November 5, 2012
7:31 AM

Post #9325212

Hey Michelle & Shirley, don't forget to visit the "Christmas Spirit Ring" thread and update your preferences please!
sbish5
Saginaw, MI

November 5, 2012
10:22 AM

Post #9325357

Hello everyone, lanakila --help needed maybe!---listed in a post on oct. 31 some likes/dislikes on the "christmas spirit ring" thread--are we supposed to do a link to that post??? If so, guess who doesn't know how!!!! That would be me!! Thanks Shirley

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 5, 2012
10:45 AM

Post #9325381

Please post a link here for the Christmas spirit ring thread?
sbish5
Saginaw, MI

November 5, 2012
11:14 AM

Post #9325397

Nope, sorry, didn't mean here--just mean don't know how to do it on there and answered her on here cuz her post was on here.
sbish5
Saginaw, MI

November 5, 2012
1:25 PM

Post #9325498

Hello to all my "cold weather" friends and all the "lucky" ones who aren't in the cold also!!! It isn't even that cold yet and I already don't like it!!! Just wanted to send a shout out to

Linda and Michelle THANK YOU for the wonderful b-day cards!!! Your card made the dog tilt her head in wonder when I opened it Linda!!!

Have a great evening everyone!

Shirley

Thumbnail by sbish5

rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 5, 2012
3:43 PM

Post #9325554

Got the most hilarious card today from Michelle. Thank you so much! It will go on my wall with my altered art envelope collection,
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

November 7, 2012
3:01 PM

Post #9327233

Wow...its really quite. I'm being a bad host. Been really busy the last couple of days trying to get the last of my plants tucked away for the winter.

Fun flower facts:
A notch in a tree will remain the same distance from the ground as the tree grows.

The city of Mt. Vernon, Washington … grows more tulips than the entire country of Holland.

I have to say, I find that hard to believe, but who knows. I picture Holland covered in tulips.

sbish5
Saginaw, MI

November 7, 2012
3:03 PM

Post #9327238

Interesting facts!! I agree with you-seems hard to believe somewhere has more tulips than Holland!!!! But it is possible I suppose!!

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

November 7, 2012
8:16 PM

Post #9327526

Hey everyone,, I know I have been mia a lot. But iit looks like I am going to be at Goobers house for a few days. I came down just to spend the night,, but on the way down I started being more and more uncomfortable,, by the time my DD and I got back to her house from Walmart I decided I needed to call the Doc. I went in she took lots more blood and now I am going for a ultra sound on my stomache and rib area. I am not in real pain,, just uncomfortable. It stinks,, doc thinks it is possibly my liver,, who knows...

Anyway,, i am stuck here til Monday,, Ralph and Patches are not happy:(,,,

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 7, 2012
8:26 PM

Post #9327533

Take care Kris! Keep us posted please? Praying it is nothing serious!
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

November 8, 2012
3:46 AM

Post #9327628

Kris,
Sorry to hear that, hope you feel better soon, but on the up side at least you get to spend time with Goober.

Good Morning everyone!

Fun flower fact:
Almost 60 percent of fresh-cut flowers grown in the U.S. come from California.
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 8, 2012
5:11 PM

Post #9328310

Hi, all!
Sorry to have been gone so long! A few technology challenges, but I think they're resolved now :) The hazards of upgrading computers...
Elfie, I'll keep you in my prayers. I do hope the doctor can figure out what is causing you to feel so uncomfortable and that they can figure out how to help you feel better. In the meantime, enjoy your visit with Goober :)
LK, I too received your card... Oh what I could do with a million dollars :) LOL LK's card is a musical card that begins "If I had a million dollars..." My husband described all the pictures, too :) Thanks!
Neener, it's an honor to have my card up on your art wall :) And I'll pass on the compliment to the Braille Project where I get my cards... This was one of the new ones they recently added :)
Shirley, I agree with you... I want my warm weather back! My consolation is that these colder months will help some of my plants/bulbs that want chill hours to grow. Must say, I've gained a better appreciation for the colder weather for this reason. Of course, I still want my warm weather back, though... rainy here, too, today. Must get my amaryllises back up on the deck before their soil gets too soggy!
Speaking of amaryllises...
Fruity, thanks for thinking to check to see if 'Lemon Lime' was fragrant. Even though she's not fragrant, bet she's pretty! Sorry to say, but I'm not sure how many amaryllis blooms I'll get this next season. Did a very poor job of watering them this summer.
Oh, and now I'm curious... What plants do they have growing in Tomorrowland? I didn't know that they were all edible! Been a very long time since we've been to Disneyland. Perhaps we'll get there again some day :) I understand that the blind and visually impaired can now get a receiver while they are there that will pick up verbal descriptions of all the sights etc. They didn't have that when I was there last. Would be cool to try it out!
Well, should go catch up on some other threads, too. Have a great evening!
Michelle
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

November 12, 2012
4:32 AM

Post #9330861

Good Morning,
We are getting a nice shower here this morning. We really need it,,,has been really dry.

I have finally moved almost all my plants into the GH and whereever they are going to stay for the winter. I have really had to pack them in.

Fun Flower facts:
White flowers tend to be more strongly scented than their colored kin.

- Prince Charles is paid one daffodil a year as rent for his lands on the Island of Scilly, off the coast of Cornwall.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 12, 2012
6:06 AM

Post #9330949

Very interesting facts about rent!
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 13, 2012
8:10 PM

Post #9332587

Hi, all.
Regarding white flowers being more strongly scented... I read this about freesias. I didn't know it was true of other flowers, too.
Don't know if Charleen is following our thread at all, but last year, for my birthday she gave me a Peacock Orchid bulb. It got a late start in growing this year, so I figured I probably wouldn't get any flowers. But I discovered that it has flower buds! I'm hoping they get to bloom before it gets too cold for the plant. I'm not sure how much longer it will be before they're ready to bloom.
Michelle
sbish5
Saginaw, MI

November 14, 2012
4:15 PM

Post #9333332

Hello to all, Hope everyone is staying warm!!! Tad bit chilly in the morning around here and didn't "warm" up all that great today either. Anyway, just wanted to say

THANK YOU to Heather(hartzell81) for the wonderful birthday card!

Have a great night everyone.

Shirley

Thumbnail by sbish5

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 14, 2012
4:17 PM

Post #9333335

OMG that's hilarious!

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

November 14, 2012
6:58 PM

Post #9333468

I gotta agree.Heehee
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 14, 2012
7:54 PM

Post #9333513

Michelle, Shirley's card is a hoot! It's a smiling Ostrich with huge pink curlers in her hair and she's driving down the road steering with one hand while holding a hot steaming cup of coffee in the other one. There's a label on the cup that says TRIP. Looking in the rear view mirror, she's towing a camper...a happy funny scene all the way around.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 15, 2012
5:11 AM

Post #9333648

Love that card!
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

November 15, 2012
8:05 AM

Post #9333793

That's too cute! Good Morning everyone. Very chilly here today...yesterday too. Left the house about 8:00 with short sleeves on, a little cool, ...by the time I got to town, the wind was blowing and the temp dropped about 5 degrees. I almost froze. Everyone else was in jackets. Note to self...leave a jacket in the car!

Fun flower fact

Roses - All roses have the symbolic meaning of "I love you", but the different colors also have a meaning all of their own. For example, yellow roses mean "joy"; red roses mean "passion", burgundy roses mean "unconscious beauty"; orange/coral roses mean "desire"; pink roses mean "grace and gentility"; red and white roses together mean "unity"; white roses mean "worthiness".

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

November 18, 2012
6:05 AM

Post #9336058

This is the plant that caused Elfie and me to meet. I was not a member of Dave's then, but had often wondered if I should join as I looked up plant info on the site several times/week. I posted an ad asking if anyone had a Queen's Tears Bromilead as my sister wanted one. Elfie replied and we met at a Cracker barrel about halfway between. This is the plant she brought me, saying it had never bloomed for her. It has finally bloomed for me, and I think I am in my second year with Dave's. I met you all because of Elfie insisting what a great bunch you all are.

Thumbnail by goldhillal

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 18, 2012
7:53 AM

Post #9336137

Crystal, that is a beautiful story and bloom.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

November 18, 2012
8:10 AM

Post #9336156

Awwww... Mine still has not bloomed.. however my friendship with Crystal has become a blossom I will treasure forever.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 18, 2012
11:14 AM

Post #9336265

Beautiful bloom Crystal!
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 19, 2012
5:43 PM

Post #9337529

Hi, all!
My, where has the time gone?...
Paula, thank you for the lovely card. I like the fuzzy sheep :) And the garden sign is neat. It has butterflies on it that I can feel. It's hanging by my door going out to the yard. Most of my flowering plants are up on my deck, but I wanted to put the sign where all my visitors could see it :)
Heather, I received your card, too. Thank you! It's hanging up with the other cards I received for my birthday so others can enjoy it, too :)
Hey, I keep forgetting to tell you all, but my tuberoses decided they weren't done blooming yet! Boy was I surprised to discover three more flower stalks growing! Not sure if they will all get to bloom before it gets too cold for them, but I'm hoping they can! I think one of them is about to bloom any time now. Oh, and the Peacock Orchid has a few buds open now! We'll have to try to get a picture.
Have a lovely day everyone!
Michelle
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

November 20, 2012
4:07 AM

Post #9337824

Good Morning everyone...
Almost Thanksgiving...don't eat too much..but remember to give thanks for all the many blessings we all have.

Fun flower fact:
•Bees and other insects that pollinate flowers have special vision that can see colors and markings that humans cannot; therefore, a flower that looks relatively plain to us can be a rainbow of colors and designs to an insect.
•Flowers work on time schedules depending on when they open and close, and when the insects that pollinate them tend to fly. For example, the 4 o'clock flower opens in the evening because it is pollinated by a hawkmoth, which comes out at twilight.
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 20, 2012
3:06 PM

Post #9338346

Yep it's almost Turkey Day.

Travel safe those of you that are going somewhere. Eat up and have an extra piece of pie for me.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 21, 2012
5:37 AM

Post #9338873

Hey Neener, how are you doing?
We are frying a turkey tomorrow, what are you all doing?
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 21, 2012
10:53 PM

Post #9339596

Hi, all.
Been sick the last couple of days. Hoping to be well enough to enjoy all the festivities tomorrow :)
That last fun flower fact was cool. What a cool design to have the flowers open just when they need to for their insect pollinators :)
Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!
Michelle

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 22, 2012
10:46 AM

Post #9339955

Happy turkey day everyone! Been AWOL I know but we have been doing the farm thing. I hope I can afford to finish getting everything ready for our dairy license, it is a tough thing to do without taking out a major loan. I am thankful that we are moving ahead.
We have had rain this year, for which I am very thankful, our ewes are very fat and due to start lambing any time now. We lost a tremendous bull calf to meningitis, and Evan's oldest ex show cow slipped her calf. All my Nubians are bred, only milking two so cheese making is almost nonexistent.
No big meal here, kids are off at girlfriend's houses for the holiday, we will turkey out next Sunday with a deep fried bird, stuffing muffins, citrus carrots, mashed potatoes, roasted brussels sprouts, and homemade rolls. Today it is T-bones and kale gratin.
I had a big car wreck, hit me so hard he knocked my car sideways across the road. I suffered a partially torn retina and some soreness but was in good shape compared to my car. Won't get it fixed till next week but I have a rental. Big thankful!
I have no excuses for being so far behind, well lots of excuses but none that are valid. I am thankful for friends who keep things rolling even when some of us slack.

Joy

Thumbnail by rouxcrew

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

November 22, 2012
2:12 PM

Post #9340057

So sorry about your eye. I hope that it does not do long term damage to your sight.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 22, 2012
5:26 PM

Post #9340192

Sorry to hear about your accident Joy! Praying your eye heals quickly, as well as all the other sore muscles.
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 22, 2012
11:26 PM

Post #9340324

Hi, all.
Joy, it's good to hear from you! Will keep you in my prayers. Take good care of your eye. And if you know of a good chiropractor, I'd recommend a visit to be sure your spine etc is properly aligned. Can make a huge difference with all the aches and pains.
Very thankful I was well enough to go to our church's Thanksgiving meal :) And thankful for family, guide dog, friends, and so much more!
Michelle
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 23, 2012
3:46 PM

Post #9340736

Hey everyone. Don't get by here as often as I should. Thanksgiving was a non event here. No cooking and that suits me fine. I cook every day of the week and didn't mind getting a day off. We went to a local buffet that was very good. DH doesn't much are for turkey anyway so this way we could both get what we like. My Mom needed to be with her brother and SIL so she staed in PA this time.
Joy, I am really sorry to hear about the eye. Did they laser that for you to repair the retina??? You really need to watch yourself with the lifting and such .I know that is hard in your business, but keep it in mind.

Hope everyone has survived to shop another day. :0)
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 23, 2012
6:19 PM

Post #9340827

Joy, as bad as your eye sounds, I'm thankful you weren't hurt any worse. As busy as the farm keeps you, I know you'll be chomping at the bit until you're back to 100%.

Anybody eating leftovers? We sure are.

Neener, How about a plate of turkey, cornbread dressing, giblet gravy, 'sweet potato souffle', mac n cheese and Crescent rolls? The darn medley of root veggies took so long to roast with the oven full, I ended up smothering them with turkey stock and covered the dish with foil so they could steam. The turkey was roasted Wednesday. We ate Thanksgiving dinner about 2 o'clock, just in time for hubs to go hunting and then I took a short nap. It would have been longer had Mickey not awakened me in a barking frenzy...at nothing. Had really hoped your Mom would be able to join you.

I'm thankful for a roof over our heads, heat, food, transportation, health, and all my friends here!

GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 23, 2012
7:53 PM

Post #9340897

Hi, all.
Glad you could stop by, Neener! Sounds like you had a restful Thanksgiving :)
Oh, Fruity, that sounds yummy :) We had some leftovers, too :)
Michelle
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

November 26, 2012
4:35 AM

Post #9342698

Good Morning all!! Back from Thanksgiving...I can honestly say I did not even get on the internet the whole weekend, Only Thursday to check out the DEALS. Hope everyones Thanksgiving was wonderful whatever you did!
Joy, so glad you are OK. That is so scary! I have been in only one sreck, I and hope the ONLY one. I was taking my children to school (6 and 3, years ago) and was sitting and waiting for the person to turn in front of me. All of a sudden he took off to the opposite side of the road. Then BAM!! A 15 year old was speeding and NOT paying attention, hit me square in the the back. No one was injured, but sure scared me to death, especially for my children. Took a month to fix my car. Ayways, glad you are ok.

Michelle, glad you are feeling better.

Fruity, that sounds so good. I didn't have leftovers, because my SIL cooked.

Hi Neener, good to hear from you!!

Daisies are symbolic of innocence and beauty.
Irises/Lilies symbolize "resurrection/life" and are popular for burials.
Apple Blossom gives meaning of hope, good fortune, and better things to come.
Blue periwinkle is symbolic of friendship.
Blue violets mean modesty and faithfulness.
Camellias mean loveliness and gratitude.
Gardenias symbolize a secret and untold love.
Forget-Me-Nots mean true love and remembrance.
Honeysuckles symbolize devoted affection, generosity
Hyacinth - Loveliness
Hydrangea - Boastfulness
Iris - Warmth of affection
Ivy- Eternal fidelity
Jasmine - Amiability
Larkspur - Laughter
Lemon Blossoms - Fidelity in love
Lilac - First Love
White Lilac - Youthful innocence
Lily - Majesty
Lily-of-the-Valley - Return of happiness
Magnolia - Perseverance
Marigold - Affection
Mimosa - Secret love
Myrtle - Love, remembrance
Orange Blossoms - Purity, fertility
Orchids - Rare beauty
Peach Blossoms - Captive
Peony -Bashfulness
Poppies symbolize a consolation in time of death. In many countries, such as the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom, red poppies are worn to commemorate veterans who died in war.
Rosemary - Remembrance
Sweet Pea - Delicate pleasures
Tulip - Love
Violet - Affection, faithfulness, modesty
Yellow Tulip - Hopeless love

GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 29, 2012
10:11 PM

Post #9345971

Hi, all.
Hey, it looks like Chris (Clancampbell) is scheduled for hosting in December. Are you out there Chris? Are you up for hosting?
Hard to believe that tomorrow (Friday) is the last day of November! Have a great Friday, everyone!
Michelle
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

November 30, 2012
4:51 AM

Post #9346035

Good Morning everyone! Still chilly here, but not too bad..low 50s. Can you believe Christmas is just 3 weeks away? I have my tree, but its not decorated yet. Today!! Its on the list of things to do...

Fun flower fact...
Dandelions might seem like weeds, but the flowers and leaves are a good source of vitamins A and C, iron, calcium and potassium. One cup of dandelion greens provides 7,000-13,000 I.U. of vitamin A.

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

November 30, 2012
11:03 AM

Post #9346275

Michelle,
This is for you...Amaryllis Luna...she has a green cast to her, but in the pic it looks light yellow. This bulb was huge.

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

November 30, 2012
11:04 AM

Post #9346277

close up...the picture does not do it justice...it doesn't have any yellow in it. wierd!

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 30, 2012
2:02 PM

Post #9346390

Very nice, girl! Is that a new bulb or one you've had to rebloom? Looks like two stalks as well.
My new ones are all awake, a few have already bloomed.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 30, 2012
2:39 PM

Post #9346415

I agree, very pretty!
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

December 1, 2012
6:05 AM

Post #9346784

It's one I just bought...it does have two stalks and a third coming up.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 2, 2012
4:56 PM

Post #9348025

I'll bring this list over when you start our December thread, GAgirl. Thanks for volunteering two months in a row. And sorry about your Dawgs yesterday.

2013 Monthly Starts -- Volunteers Needed -- Please Claim Your Month
January - FruitOfTheVine
February
March
April
May
June
July
August
September
October
November
December

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

December 2, 2012
5:06 PM

Post #9348030

It was a sad day...lol...but it was a good game...if only we had 30 more seconds.

I'll start a new thread now.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

December 2, 2012
5:14 PM

Post #9348039

Alright ladies...time to start another thread. Come join us on the December thread and Check in.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1289684/

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

December 3, 2012
4:29 PM

Post #9349021

I thought I was supposed be the leader or whatever you call it for the January thread, but now looking back I guess that was this past year (2012)? The list was posted later in the year ,maybe after January had passed?
Anyway, I am not sure how to do this, so I guess it is just as well. But i will do it sometime if I can be instructed in how?

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
ZZ's - Star-Studded - 'Tomato Seed Round-Robin'. ZZTOPSOIL 335 Aug 8, 2007 11:54 PM
CLOSED: Any newbies wanna start a round robin? kaykay1010 134 Dec 14, 2010 6:31 PM
Spring Fever RR Crimson 146 Apr 13, 2007 12:08 PM
Houseplant Swap snboyken 146 Apr 30, 2007 12:59 PM
Yesterday's News Robin's Resurrection sign-up here Gourd 284 Jul 11, 2007 4:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America