Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Pottery, Clay and Ceramics: Latest flower pot! A friend for the Rooster!

Communities > Forums > Pottery, Clay and Ceramics
bookmark
Forum: Pottery, Clay and CeramicsReplies: 19, Views: 131
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
biddy52
BROOKFIELD
Australia

October 30, 2012
4:11 PM

Post #9320504

I started the chicken to keep the Rooster company (refer "Trouble in the Hen House!") - but got carried away - so there is a story to tell here I guess. The chicken lays the golden eggs and lives on a property with the free range flower garden and a little girl who likes to swing from the big tree down the bottom of the garden? That will do for starters! I did something a little different for the border at the top - didn't want it to be just a straight border - I felt it needed character? The border on the top of the pot ridge is the same yellow as the chicken!

Thumbnail by biddy52   Thumbnail by biddy52   Thumbnail by biddy52   Thumbnail by biddy52
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Anniesfollies
Carlsbad, CA
(Zone 10b)

October 31, 2012
10:13 AM

Post #9321153

Biddy this is absolutely beautiful - a four sided tile mural! Your attention to detail in cutting the various pieces to make each scene is amazing. I think the chicken and the three flowers are the most impressive, but I love it all, including your use of small areas of empty space in some of the scenes. I've never seen any piece this size with such intricacies.

I took a tile mosaic class a couple of months ago and made one small 5" pot that I thought was pretty cool. Having done that I have an appreciation of the incredible work that went into yours. WOW! Do you use the nippers to get the pieces cut to shape or cut them like doing stained glass?

Hope you will share more pictures of your work.
Annie
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

October 31, 2012
10:59 AM

Post #9321196

I second that----your selection of shapes makes the piece much more interesting, and really adds to the "story" it tells!
biddy52
BROOKFIELD
Australia

October 31, 2012
1:53 PM

Post #9321297

Anniesfollies wrote:Biddy this is absolutely beautiful - a four sided tile mural! Your attention to detail in cutting the various pieces to make each scene is amazing. I think the chicken and the three flowers are the most impressive, but I love it all, including your use of small areas of empty space in some of the scenes. I've never seen any piece this size with such intricacies.

I took a tile mosaic class a couple of months ago and made one small 5" pot that I thought was pretty cool. Having done that I have an appreciation of the incredible work that went into yours. WOW! Do you use the nippers to get the pieces cut to shape or cut them like doing stained glass?

Hope you will share more pictures of your work.
Annie

Thank you for your lovely comments! I use three different tools most of the time - glass cutter (Liponitt kind of tool); nipper and a new straight cut (although I feel it works better on tiles, not pottery pieces). I have found the glass cutter the most effective when working with plates etc. Hard to get accurate cuts - you have to use your imagination a lot LOL - then I tidy up with the little nipper! To be really thorough - one should then sand all the edges - I have an electric hand tool that has extra fittings for all sorts of purposes, but I find it totally impractical on certain types of porcelain that do not want to be sanded and too time consuming. Especially on the really small pieces I cut. This pot is a quarter of the size of the Rooster -as you can see. A rough guess - 25 cm high! This one took me a week from start to finish! Not working on it every day! The Rooster took a month! Just the cleaning of the grout on the Rooster took me three days!
Luvmypond
Troy, OH

November 2, 2012
2:05 AM

Post #9322508

WOW ... that is fabulous !!!!
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

November 2, 2012
1:51 PM

Post #9322947

I keep all the old brushes from my electric toothbrush, and that's what I use to clean up grout joints after they've set up overnight.
Plants4myPots
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 2, 2012
3:28 PM

Post #9323013

Golly, I don't know which side is my favorite!
Anniesfollies
Carlsbad, CA
(Zone 10b)

November 3, 2012
11:20 AM

Post #9323667

imapigeon I LOVE the idea of using the electric toothbrush. It will be so much faster! And after collecting a number of used brushes you could even trim some of them to work on different size pieces.

After you 'brush' away the excess grout on the tile pieces do you do the grout sections by hand? I would think the tooth brush might be too rough and dig sections away.
biddy52
BROOKFIELD
Australia

November 3, 2012
1:51 PM

Post #9323735

Anniesfollies wrote:imapigeon I LOVE the idea of using the electric toothbrush. It will be so much faster! And after collecting a number of used brushes you could even trim some of them to work on different size pieces.

After you 'brush' away the excess grout on the tile pieces do you do the grout sections by hand? I would think the tooth brush might be too rough and dig sections away.

When I clean the grout off my pots - I was taught to use a wet soft sponge and then as the grout is a little dryer (particularly the tile) you rub with a dry cloth - I have found a piece of old towel the best! Then the next day, when grout is completely dry, I use a tile cleaner and clean towel to rub off excess. Some tiles seem to retain a little more grout than others, if there is anything too stubborn, I have some little wooden pottery tools that will scrape away the excess, without hurting the tiles! I do work on a lot of really tiny pieces and with pottery, so there is usually an uneven surface - which you don't get with tiles of the same thickness.
Luvmypond
Troy, OH

November 3, 2012
5:06 PM

Post #9323873

Did you have to do anything to the pot to make it hold the grout? And do you have a pic of the top? I was wondering if you left the pot showing on the top. This is way cool, would like to try something like this.
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

November 3, 2012
8:37 PM

Post #9324001

I usually sponge and then wipe with a dry towel. After letting the piece dry overnight, I use the toothbrush and a bamboo chopstick to get the edges where the grout sometimes obscures the tile.

I also use a silicone bowl-scraper to apply my grout. It's the best thing I've ever found. It's got a rigid core and flexible edges. Hard to describe, so here's a link:
http://www.amazon.com/iSi-America-B10001-Silicone-Scraper/dp/B000S13FVW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1352000012&sr=8-2&keywords=silicone bowl scraper
biddy52
BROOKFIELD
Australia

November 4, 2012
1:02 PM

Post #9324476

Luvmypond wrote:Did you have to do anything to the pot to make it hold the grout? And do you have a pic of the top? I was wondering if you left the pot showing on the top. This is way cool, would like to try something like this.

I tiled the rim of the pot with the yellow porcelain I used for the chicken. Then grouted. I have just finished a little pot - and I didn't bother tiling the rim there, I just grouted rim and about 2" down into the pot.

I always mix my cement glue and my grout with a product called "Davco 4 in one Tile and Grout Additive" - I also pre-coat what I am about to tile with that product! It helps things to stick. I believe that if you are working on a slippery surface, you can precoat in a product called "ASA Glue Render" - not sure what it is called in USA? I attended a wonderful workshop yesterday - still trying to get my head around it - if I can get this product for a reasonable price, I may switch glues - as this has a lot of possibilities - it renders, it glues, and you can prepare something ready for mosaicing - so if you had a shiny porcelain item that you wanted to mosaic - this is the product you would use to coat it first and it will accept the mosaic - and of course, using it as the glue to stick the mosaic with!

I will add a photo of the top of pot!
Regards,
DI
Thank you for your interest!
biddy52
BROOKFIELD
Australia

November 4, 2012
1:09 PM

Post #9324481

imapigeon wrote:I usually sponge and then wipe with a dry towel. After letting the piece dry overnight, I use the toothbrush and a bamboo chopstick to get the edges where the grout sometimes obscures the tile.

I also use a silicone bowl-scraper to apply my grout. It's the best thing I've ever found. It's got a rigid core and flexible edges. Hard to describe, so here's a link:
http://www.amazon.com/iSi-America-B10001-Silicone-Scraper/dp/B000S13FVW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1352000012&sr=8-2&keywords=silicone bowl scraper

Thank you for that link! I am using an old rubber cake scraper to apply the grout - but this looks much more flexible. I just like using up old stuff till they are dead and then throw them out! I will keep that one in mind though.

Regards,

Di
biddy52
BROOKFIELD
Australia

November 4, 2012
1:16 PM

Post #9324488

Here is the top of the Chicken pot! Excuse the plant - it has been neglected but will pick up soon!

The second picture is the latest little tidy up - a recycled pot from the recycling centre and the first line of tiles being a porcelain plate - then I worked my way up with the rectangle tiles - but the inspiration for the hearts came to me and it went from there. Sadly, I do not really think out a piece like I should, I have to feel my way - and this is the finished item, which I decided I didn't want to tile the rim - just grouted. It is a little pot 13 cm high! A little bit different! The rest of the pieces were tiles cut to shape!

Regards,

Di

Thumbnail by biddy52   Thumbnail by biddy52         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Luvmypond
Troy, OH

November 4, 2012
2:09 PM

Post #9324519

Has the grout cracked? Or is that what the additive is for, to keep it bonded. The grout on the second pot, I love that look !!
biddy52
BROOKFIELD
Australia

November 5, 2012
2:09 PM

Post #9325512

Luvmypond wrote:Has the grout cracked? Or is that what the additive is for, to keep it bonded. The grout on the second pot, I love that look !!

If you notice "cracking" when you grout - well in my experience - mostly it means there could be a small piece of mosaic under it! However, sometimes you do get a crack line - which I tend to work with my wooden tool and rubbing sideways, it tends to be a hairline usually - if in doubt - a little more liquid grout over the crack and rub off will fix it. If however, it is on an older mosaic- it could mean you are going to lose the tiles! It may need attention. The additive process was taught to me by my teacher at my first class and I have "adhered" (excuse the pun) to it ever since. I decided to mix my glue and grout with it too - it certainly won't hurt and by washing down your piece before mosaicing with the additive - helps the glue to adhere!
Luvmypond
Troy, OH

November 6, 2012
2:20 AM

Post #9325794

I am thinking of doing this as a Christmas present. I will try it and hope for the best !! The next time I go to Lowes, I will look at their grout bonding materials and see what they have. If it ends up half as good as yours, I will be happy. Thank you for posting your pots.
biddy52
BROOKFIELD
Australia

November 6, 2012
2:07 PM

Post #9326314

Luvmypond wrote:I am thinking of doing this as a Christmas present. I will try it and hope for the best !! The next time I go to Lowes, I will look at their grout bonding materials and see what they have. If it ends up half as good as yours, I will be happy. Thank you for posting your pots.

I am not sure if I also said - if you are going to mosaic a ceramic pot - shiny or glazed surface - it is better to score the area to be mosaiced (sand, erode - so that it has a rough surface for the glue to grip.) However there is a product that my Mentor - Kathryn Portelli - suggested I use and I will now have to ask her again, do I need to prepare as above, because her product is so good? You may find things on Kathryn Portelli online if you Google?
Luvmypond
Troy, OH

November 7, 2012
7:27 PM

Post #9327496

Actually, I was going to do a tera cota (clay) pot. It's an old pot. It is kind of smooth, I was going to try and find a rougher one. I will look up that name. Thank you for the info. I made a Hummingbird and a Hibiscus out of clay and cut them into small pieces. They are drying. I used high fire clay. Not sure what I'm using to fill the rest in with. I need ideas !!
biddy52
BROOKFIELD
Australia

November 8, 2012
8:21 PM

Post #9328474

Luvmypond wrote:Actually, I was going to do a tera cota (clay) pot. It's an old pot. It is kind of smooth, I was going to try and find a rougher one. I will look up that name. Thank you for the info. I made a Hummingbird and a Hibiscus out of clay and cut them into small pieces. They are drying. I used high fire clay. Not sure what I'm using to fill the rest in with. I need ideas !!

Terracotta should be okay if it has not been glazed. If there is a glaze, the glue sometimes has trouble staying on long term, so you just sand/rough up the surface wherever you are going to mosaic - if it is just something you are putting on the centre of the pot - that is the only area to rough up, if it is the whole pot you want to mosaic - then rough it all up - and then I like to paint the object with tile additive and let dry before I commence my mosaic. Only takes a few minutes!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Pottery, Clay and Ceramics Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Kiln fired clay questions... WUVIE 144 Sep 1, 2009 3:13 PM
Claylovers' Topics: Bios / Work / Glazes / Firings, etc! #2 zenpotter 66 Jan 8, 2009 7:22 PM
Pottery,clay jcoats123 25 Jan 11, 2009 3:01 AM
Pottery,clay,ceramics,kilns, firing, sculpture, etc. jcoats123 192 Sep 10, 2009 7:52 PM
completed one pot jcoats123 6 Jun 23, 2013 9:02 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America