Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Mosaics and Stained Glass: Clay pots-preps before mosaicing?

Communities > Forums > Mosaics and Stained Glass
bookmark
Forum: Mosaics and Stained GlassReplies: 6, Views: 52
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
fixpix
Oradea
Romania

October 31, 2012
4:08 AM

Post #9320829

Hello everyone,
A few years back I did some mosaics, mainly wall pieces, flat.
I avoided working on clay pots for the simple reason of WATER and ELEMENTS.
Please tell me, in plain English, and without giving names of brands (I am in Romania and stuff available in the US, can't be found here, or it has different names/brands).
What do I need to do before I can mosaic a clay pot.
It will be ordinary clay pots, with a hole in the bottom for drainage, and a saucer (won't be mosaicing it though) and probably I will grow succulents like Agave and Aloe (you know, they don't require a lot of water) and finally even sell some.
Thank you!

Oh, here's a link to all my mosaics :)
http://entertainment.webshots.com/album/578511476MqLIpx

Calin
peonycarol
Port Angeles, WA
(Zone 7a)

October 31, 2012
6:41 AM

Post #9320957

Wow, Calin, these are great works of art! Loved them all but really enjoyed the "eye"!
I'm sorry I can't help much in the pot category, as I have only done one of those, with minimal success...lol. I wish you luck in your quest, tho!
Carol
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

November 8, 2012
12:48 PM

Post #9328053

I didn't check the link out, but will tell you what I do with my pots before I mosaic.

Seal the inside and out, if you drill holes for drainage, seal those also so water doesn't get into the clay. It will freeze and crack when it thaws if you get that cold where you are. Seal several times if you get really cold and the pot will stay outdoors. Then mosiac, grout and seal again. I'm not in a really cold area but have had some damage to some terracotta planters that have not been sealed, water makes them crack even with a little frost.

The ones that are sealed and mosaiced are doing fine and have been outdoors for a couple of years.

Antoinette
fixpix
Oradea
Romania

November 9, 2012
5:14 AM

Post #9328594

Thank you both,
SO a lot of sealing. I need to find something to sea with :)
What about GLUE?

I am going to try pots that don't go outside in the winter. Rather for indoors. But still needs some preparations, cause the plants inside DO need watering once in a while.

Calin
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

November 9, 2012
11:19 AM

Post #9328952

White glue will work, dilute it with water, put several coats... there is a black tar looking thing that is sold in a can that is made for sealing the airconditioner metal air ducts, I don't know what the proper term is, but, that stuff is just brushed on in the inside. But it is black and will stay black. only recommend it for the inside of the pots in case you don't mosaic the outside. Pots that won't go outdoors you can just seal the inside.

I've even been using some of the Thompsons sealer, mosaic sealer, and some of the woodsealers that I have on hand. If you have some paint handy, I imagine a couple of coats would even help.

I seal the whole thing several times in and out, then I put a potted plant inside the pot. It keeps it clean and also the water just drains out the bottom and you really can't tell there is another pot in it.

Good luck and show us pics when you can.

Antoinette
drtdgr
Tacoma, WA

November 11, 2012
7:35 AM

Post #9330239

Calin, your mosaics are stunning. I especially liked the sun mirror. You shouldn't have any problems selling pots with your skill! Susan
fixpix
Oradea
Romania

November 12, 2012
1:48 AM

Post #9330821

Thank you Antoinette. I will have to go one of these days to the shops and see what "equivalents" I can find.
Susan, that was actually my first and also biggest work. :)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Mosaics and Stained Glass Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
I'm trying stained glass mosaics without grout! luckygardnr 14 Aug 23, 2012 3:05 PM
How is your shop set up? SandiTX 26 Aug 3, 2009 4:15 AM
Show us all your bowling balls! luckygardnr 273 Aug 27, 2014 6:35 PM
A Demonstration: Breaking Properties of Tempered Glass scooterbug 10 Aug 28, 2007 4:50 AM
Glass painting Vee8ch 3 Dec 12, 2007 3:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America