Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Tomatoes: OK, what were your disappointing varieties this year?

Communities > Forums > Tomatoes
bookmark
Forum: TomatoesReplies: 9, Views: 97
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 31, 2012
10:58 AM

Post #9321192

Every one has shared which tomatoes worked out well for them this past year.

So what were the disappointments. Which variety did you try after hearing what a revalation it was for someone else, only to find it didn't grow well in your area or really didn't taste all that good to you? Was good but only produced the bare minimum to really be called a tomato plant?

I'll share mine: Pruden's Purple. Yes, I know. Great taste! But I grew it in 2011 and the drought took it out without any production at all despite daily watering and some shade cloth. And this year, 2012, I got two plants to grow well and got two tomatoes out of the deal before the high temps of summer set in. Then nothing. Managed to get the plants themselves through to September and cooler temps only to have the whole plants just dwindle and die off with no further production. I have other indies that did very well for me this year, so I might not give the space to Pruden's this next year. =( It must be a great tomato as everyone raves about it and I did like the two I managed to get this past year, but it must not like NE Texas, or the soil, or something about my gardening in general...

So come on, you all. Fess up. What were your duds?
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

October 31, 2012
1:23 PM

Post #9321272

My biggest disappointment was New Big Dwarf, since it performed so well last year. First off, germination was poor, then of the 3 plants I ended with I had maybe 3 tomatoes, so I'm not sure if I will plant them again. None of my varieties did as well this year, so hopefully it was just the crazy weather.

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 31, 2012
4:38 PM

Post #9321426

All of my yellow/gold tomatoes were a bust this year. I don't have the list at hand, but if I hadn't planted Indian Stripe and a several types of red hybrids I wouldn't have had tomatoes at all. I'll find the list somewhere, just so I know not what to plant again next year!

David

Ray_Der_Phan

Ray_Der_Phan
Oceanside, CA
(Zone 10a)

October 31, 2012
5:27 PM

Post #9321465

Japanese Trifele Yellow, I'd much rather eat a tomato from McDonalds(or any other fast food place).

Made me mad how productive(hundreds per plant) and neat looking JTY was...because it had zero taste. I'd rather have an off, weird tasting tomato than one that is beyond bland. Water has more flavor. I just pitched them at the fence in the corner of the yard. The volunteers will definitely be weed whacked into oblivion(or a drink of round up). That's one tomato that should be taken off the market.

I didn't really have any bummers this year, except JTY, the worst tomato I've ever grown.
nancyruhl
Dearborn, MI

October 31, 2012
5:43 PM

Post #9321476

Received seeds from a seed offer for Brandywine from Croatia. Prettiest darn plant with gorgeous large but not very tasty tomatoes. Actually, oddly enough, Sungold was pretty useless this summer with our extremely warm temperatures. It was unproductive and extremely tough skinned. Gregori's Altai was bland tasting. Micheal Pollan, a green and yellow striped pear shaped cherry just didn't do anything for me. Trentons Tiger was pretty but very dry with not so much flavor. And I can't say I will invite back Pink or Red Boar, which I had high hopes for because I love Blonde Boar so much. And my notes say Dr Lyle isn't coming back either, being rated as only a 4 for flavor. Medovaya Kapla was supposed to be the greatest yellow pear tomato but you can tell by me. Blah. And my final entry is Violet Jasper. Again, it was such a pretty and productive tomato but most of them rotted, because I didn't care to eat them.
idealpeggy
Lexington, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 1, 2012
7:25 AM

Post #9321838

Yellow Pear (cherry), but I think it had a disease. The skins were tough, the taste was bitter. I'll never waste my space with that one again!
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

November 1, 2012
8:33 AM

Post #9321899

I am wondering if we are being unfair to the disappointments- possibly the blame lies with our crazy weather? There were so many reports that it makes me think the plants themselves were not the culprit. I guess that's what keeps us coming back year after year- the challenge of it all!
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 1, 2012
8:55 AM

Post #9321915

I usually give mine a couple of years to decide if they are just not my kind of tomato.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 1, 2012
7:23 PM

Post #9322364

Most of my efforts with the vegie garden were rather disapointing this season,, reserving judgement. If I had to choose one that bothered me more than any other I would say Dr.wych's yellow,I got a humongous plant and not one, GRRRR tomato ,wow is that aggravating!!!!
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 1, 2012
7:35 PM

Post #9322376

This year the weather was really unusual in most of the country, I think that had a lot to do with it. I thought the Yellow Pear was fail safe. Lol

My failures were Aunt Ruby's German Green, and Box Car Willie. The plants are fine but they never bloomed, and while the others started blooming again when the weather cooled, these never did. I've never tried these 2 before but I've never been able to get Mule Team (Box Car Willie's cousin) to produce either. Might try them again. I really want to taste them.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tomatoes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Blossom End Rot tiG 34 Mar 17, 2013 10:29 PM
TOMATOES ARE SPLITTING oblambert 31 Sep 11, 2012 7:13 PM
Principe Borghese/Juliet in containers? shane478 7 Feb 19, 2009 4:20 AM
Disease? Any idea what this is? BudZander 31 Apr 21, 2010 6:48 AM
Tree Tomato ?? faronell 10 Aug 3, 2007 1:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America