November's Thanksgiving Orchids

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

I may be a couple of hours early but I have the time and there is a lot to post. This is where us orchid lovers show off our blooms so feel free to join in the fun. We came from http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1285610/.

I'll start off with Epidendrum Lime Drop X Epidendrum schomburgkii:

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

A look at Enc. Ciliare (Mexican form) with more new flowers.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

I wanted to show off my new Vanda. It opened its first flower last night and there will be many more to come as it has two big spikes. Here is Vanda Boonchoo X Vanda Thonglor Sand:

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Here is Carol's very happy Florida Gerberara Snow Ballet with a new spike.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

This is a Brassavola nodosa that I won in a drawing at the last orchid club meeting.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

I like this photo of Brassia Memoria Fritz Boedeker 'Witch Doctor'.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

I'm having lots of luck blooming Bulb. fascinator.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

There is a new spike on Bllra. Marfitch 'Howard's Dream'.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

This is Bc. Jacqui, a first time bloomer for me.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

C. intermedia X Bl. Morning Glory has a new spike with two blooms:

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica Thumbnail by hawkarica Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Bulb. A-doribil Anna Roth has a new spike and even though the flowers are not completely open, I thought this was a good picture.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Now for something different, this is Vanda Kultana Indian Incense. The flower is small by Vanda standards. The petals are very dark brown and the lip is purple. I used a white background and over exposed just a bit but it is still dark. This is a tough one to photograph. I haven't detected any fragrance yet but it still has a ways to go.

Jim

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Wow Jim, you've got a lot going on! Love those Vandas and the little spots on Snow Ballet.

Melanie

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks, Melanie. I've more but didn't get the pictures taken. I also have a ton of Cattleyas with huge buds about to open, November will be a good month.

Jim

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Thanks for starting a new thread, Jim. Great pics! You really showed off 'Snow Ballet' well. Is it in the OC, or outside? I'm still trying to figure out what causes the different colors...temps, hours of sun, both? Hard to tell with our weather. I thought Momma was ready for a break, but found another spike today.
I think I probably 'need' Enc. cilare. Does it have any scent? Love the Vandas! Really like that Bc too, but they seem to do better here with the 'L' in them.That Laelia gene seems to make them tougher.LOL!

Brea, CA(Zone 10b)

I'm right there with you Carol. I think I probably 'need' Enc. cilare! lol
Great shots, Jim. Question is how do you keep so many plants segregated by sun and water likes and dislikes. There seems to be so many variables, i.e. Bright light and dry between waterings, Bright light and do not let dry out, Partial shade and let dry slightly between...you all know what I mean. And then watering with a timer system?

BTW October was 1570 views and 250 posts. That's a lot of orchid stuff. I love it.

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Lovely start for the new month, Jim. The new Vanda is a beauty. Indian Incense sure sounds like it should be fragrant.

My new start of Gerberara Snow Ballet still has two spikes blooming. Mine don't have as many freckles as yours at the moment, but maybe a little more yellow in the throats.

I hope to have something new to show soon - the spike on my little wildling Monk's orchid is elongating and making lots of buds! Sadly, the spike I'd waited 3 years for on Odbrs mem Nikoline Lorentzen 'Marz Starz' got broken off by one of the gang of raccoons that raided my pool cage last week. Miserable little rascals.

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

Goodness Jim ! How do you keep up with them all !
I'm with ya on the Enc. cilare and the Bc. Jacqui. Really like both of those.
Elaine, the BC Little LuLu you picked up for me last spring is budding up. I'm so excited about that.
I've also got B. nodosa and B. nodosa jiminy cricket in spike.

Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

Jim, glad to see you refrained from giving out orchids to the trick or treaters. We wouldn't have anything to drool over if you did.

stirring up trouble???

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Beautiful weather here so I've been out in the garden pulling vines and weeds. It's a lot of work but I love it.

I also took some pictures in the OC so I will continue my little orchid show. All of these pics were taken this afternoon. First up is a new flower on Psychopsis Mendenhall alba 'Yellow Butterfly'.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

I somehow lost the tag on this one so I'll have to call her a NOID Cattleya. Large flower with great floof.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Rhynchovola David Sander (formally Brassavola) is in bloom. This is the first flower with more buds coming. One of my favorites.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

This is one of my Brassavola nodosas and folks around here call it the "Weaver" form. I'm not sure that is an official name but if it is, it should go in single quotes after nodosa. These are very fragrant after dark and so are known as "Lady of the Night" orchids.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

B. nodosa is one of the parents of Bc. Little Stars, which is also fragrant after dark. My plant is loaded with blooms now.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

C. Bicolor 'Lines' AMAOS X L. undulata is still in good form.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Blc. Hawalian Leopard 'Mai Ling' has opened two new blooms.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Ane Blc. Golden Tang has done the same.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

The Queen of Floof, Blc. Chia Lin 'New City', is back. What a great fragrance.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Lc Nippon 'Livinza' isn't quite open yet but is looks so cool I just had to take a picture. I'll post again when she is fully open.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Looking over at Vanda row, I have two big ones that are fully open.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

The red one is Vanda Mae Sai X Vanda Kenji that I got in Apopka a few years ago.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

The other is the one I bought a couple of weeks ago, Vanda Boonchoo X Vanda Thonglor Sand. It has two big spikes, both in bloom.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Miltassia Aztec 'Toni' keeps opening new flowers as the old ones fade.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Lc. Hua Yuan Angel has a couple of new blooms.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Epic. Volcano Trick Fireball continues to open blooms along its spike.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

And three plants worth of "dancing ladies".

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Here is a look at the second of two spikes on Bllra. Pacific Treasures 'Everything Nice'.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

There is this beautiful white NOID Dendrobium blooming up at the top of the OC. I had to get a ladder to get it down to take a picture.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

I'll leave you tonight with another big Catt that I have had for years and she blooms in November like clockwork. This is Lc. Irene's Song ( Irene's Finny X Marie's Song).

Jim

This message was edited Dec 13, 2012 5:35 PM

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

You've definately got it goin' Jim! Beautiful show! Now tell me where you found Enc. ciliare. I can't find anything on the net.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.