Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Homesteading: November 2012

Communities > Forums > Homesteading
bookmark
Forum: HomesteadingReplies: 60, Views: 516
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 1, 2012
6:57 AM

Post #9321816

Colder than last ?
porkpal
Richmond, TX

November 1, 2012
12:35 PM

Post #9322060

Not here!
yardener
Greenfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 1, 2012
12:38 PM

Post #9322063

Definately. Not looking forward to the next few months

This message was edited Nov 1, 2012 2:39 PM
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 1, 2012
1:33 PM

Post #9322097

Truck would not start - seems it runs on something known as fuel and without it no go. Fuel gauge is now kaput. But after adding gas the motor will run.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 1, 2012
3:21 PM

Post #9322186

got to get some go go juice Dyson.
not much going on here
only a few days left at apple orchard. thought it may be thanksgiving but it seems we will only do 3 more days. bummer too. no more paycheck :(
yardener
Greenfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 2, 2012
4:48 AM

Post #9322546

Thanks for the tip Dyson. My mower quit and maybe thats the reason. I'm guessing my mower works similar to your truck. I'll have to check it out. May save me $$$$ in repairs.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 4, 2012
5:25 AM

Post #9324167

wish me luck . im going to try and attempt gettiing garlic planted today after i do apple pie filling ... it can happen ...
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

November 7, 2012
9:01 AM

Post #9326942

haha at dyson and yardener

HEY everybody. Happy Harvesting (I don't know why thanksgiving is in Nov. It should be in Oct)

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 7, 2012
4:38 PM

Post #9327312

still no garlic in the ground..
got salsa almost done. still got 5 bags in the freezer. I did 21 today. well i kept 2 cups in the fridge for me for the week.
decorated my dd's memory garden with some harvest decorations.
i did get the rest of my tulip bulbs and my crocus in the back garden. Transplanted some siberian iris also.
tomorrow is orchard day maybe monday also.
i m going to try and make apple cider jelly .. any idea's ? i was thinking of processing just as i would apple juice jelly.. i use Pomona's Pectin . i m going to call there jam line and double check to see if they can help me out . They are pretty good at helping out. I also want to make my garlic jelly more garlicky and not as sweet. so i can use it more on meats
busy storing up for the winter.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

November 8, 2012
4:05 PM

Post #9328260

I love garlic
I tried something weird and haven't made it yet. I took a bunch of extra small egg plants and washed them. leave the peal on. cut criss crosses around the eggplants and stuff with garlic cloves and bake about an hour until it looks awful ...all brownish and yucky. Then freeze in individual freezer bags. My recipe idea is to thaw and mash the garlic eggplant into chick peas and a knorr veggie soup mix to make a chick pea eggplant dip.

apple cider is concentrated apple juice...right? no water added. And I would assume you would do it just like apple juice jelly.

I am waiting for the oranges to hit the shelves cause I am impatient to make some orange marmalade. I like orange marmalade on cream cheese pie. my cream cheese pie is simple no bake...one can of sweetened condensed milk and three blocks of cream cheese and two table spoons of lemon juice...mixed until smooth and pour into Xlarge graham crust.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 9, 2012
4:35 AM

Post #9328565

cricket orange marmalade does sound good.
the apple cider i have is fresh.no water or anything added.. well maybe a small little nat or two but that is flavor :)
your eggplant sounds good also. i dehydrated eggplant and have yet to do anything with them . i m so lazy.
another indian summer for us this weekend. morning are 28 and then next four days in the 60's ! wow.
i may get some more bulbs LOL yea i know right ... more bulbs i have yet to plant my garlic yet. Bwhahaha
i need to buy more jars :( i m on my last 12 pints and well i still got so much to can in the freezer .

NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

November 9, 2012
6:10 AM

Post #9328658

hey cricket,
Do you have a recipe for that orange marmelade?

We already went through all that banana butter I made so I reckon I'll need to double that recipe next time. Debbie already wants to go to Wally World for more bananas. Made goetta in the crockpot yesterday and poured itto the little minuature loaf pans. Then this AM I put the loaves into a couple 2 gallon plastic ziplock bags and used my vacuum sealer tube attachment to suck all the air out. They are freezing as I type this. Today I am roasting a 20 lb blue hubbard squash and canning it then making a sweet potato pie out of leftover sweet potatoes from this past weekend. I also want to peel a bunch of apples to fry.

ahhh! the life of a homestead chef
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

November 9, 2012
10:07 AM

Post #9328889

yes...Orange Marmalade for Ten 8oz jars
5 Oranges= sliced into 1/8 inch pieces and then cut those in half.
1 Lemon= zested and then finely grated or minced.
6 cups water
3 pounds and 12oz of sugar.
Add together = orange slices, lemon, and water in boiler and bring to a boil and then lower to a rapid simmer for 40 minutes stirring occasionally..
After 40 min, add sugar and boil for 20 minutes , stirring often.
Then do a gel test . (assuming yall know how to do that with a frozen saucer)
Pour into jars. ( leave one inch head space)
Then process in boiler canner for 10 minutes.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

November 9, 2012
10:17 AM

Post #9328902

speaking of bananas. I am growing 8 banana plants.
And rooting some sweet potatoes in jars = to grow the vines that will need to be cut and rooted later. It takes about a month for the tators to root and start growing plant shoots, Then you have let the vines grow out a few feet so you have enough to cut and root for the garden.

Bulbs...I love hyacinths blooming in the kitchen. They smell so wonderful.

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 10, 2012
1:32 PM

Post #9329763

Finally made it home a week ago and have been busier that a one armed paper hanger. Had 11 inches of snow here but we didn't get home until after it melted. Dug a stall last night and two friends dug the other two for me today while I cleaned the feed stall and got it ready for a new load of hay. Sad news is something killed all my chickens while I was gone. Think it was a skunk. Set out a trap but have not caught anything. They had feathered out so pretty, too. Broke my heart. But I have found a place to get fresh eggs for $2 a dozen. Glad to have them until I can get a new flock to laying age. Not looking forward to Winter.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 10, 2012
2:40 PM

Post #9329828

Started a new Job on the 2nd. First time I have been employed in a long time - to tell the truth I had given up trying to look for work when the phone rang. It was a recruiter for an employment agency that I had applied for a different job with, he had an opening for a maintenance technician and thought I would fit in that slot, would I be interested? Yea do bears crap in the woods? (Actually they seem to prefer logging roads) Anyways I interview with the recruiter, then interview with the maintenance supervisor and his lead technician, then do the drug test and background check thing and viola I am employed.

Started on the second (Friday) on Saturday I was tearing apart an old steel shed for the materials (some to use - some to scrap) with a grinder - normally I always wear my motorcycle goggles when using the grinder (more protection than safety glasses) but they were in the truck and Sue had my truck - got a piece of steel stuck in my eyeball. Monday went to work (12 hour shift) by Tuesday morning I knew I had to see a doctor told Sue to call and make me an appointment for as late in the day as possible and went to work. Told the lead about it when I got there - he said to go get it taken care of. So I only had one hour on the clock on Tuesday - still had two hours overtime for the week.

This message was edited Nov 10, 2012 6:43 PM
porkpal
Richmond, TX

November 10, 2012
3:21 PM

Post #9329850

Good on you! I hope the eye is okay.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 10, 2012
3:27 PM

Post #9329856

Sorry about the eye, Dyson... but at least you didn't put it out.

In high school I always carried my pencil behind my right ear. I was daydreaming in geometry class when the teacher started down the aisle and I hurriedly stuck the pencil behind my ear... only it was still attached to the compass and I poked a hole in my eyeball. Talk about stupid, and it hurt like crazy. Mother had to come fetch me from school and take me to an eye doctor.

Where's the new job? How much travel?
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 10, 2012
6:17 PM

Post #9329965

Sure hope your eye is OK. Sounds painful.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 10, 2012
8:33 PM

Post #9330044

Sue, you might want to check out this blog on apple ciders, including hard cider. Lots of info on the history/types.
Cider Renaissance
http://www.chronogram.com/issue/2012/11/Food & Drink/A-Cider-Renaissance-in-the-Hudson-Valley
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

November 11, 2012
2:46 AM

Post #9330085

I got a steel sliver in my eye when I was in the Navy. The thing got past my specs, my goggles, and a face shield. We were underweigh at the time. Doc sat me in a chair and he sat in another one and dug it out as we rolled back and forth with the ship's movement. Did I mention this was in the North sea in November? It was like a big wet 3 week rollercoaster ride.

Hope your eye gets better, and congrats on joining the working world again.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 11, 2012
6:09 AM

Post #9330162

New job is in Roanoke - 60 miles round trip but at least I have a place to go to, I was starting to get on Sue's nerves.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 11, 2012
2:56 PM

Post #9330526

congrats on the job Dyson.
sorry to hear of the eye injury. Hope it heals quickly for you.
darius thank you for the link :)
well found lice on my chickens uuhhhg
Caj sorry to hear of the loss of your chickens.
well no work for me tomorrow but i will do our last press of cider on tuesday .
went to poultry show on sat , got 3 new show silkies. They are black.
Our dog Lucy continues to be our sock thief. I have lost more socks then i can count. found her stash ! she hides them under the pillow in her kennel. silly dog.
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

November 12, 2012
8:40 AM

Post #9331090

do you leave the rinds on the oranges when you make marmelade? I've seen it both ways
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

November 17, 2012
5:28 AM

Post #9335294

We took all the turkeys to the abbatoir last night. Pollyanna should be calling any minute to come get them. Live weight 4 of them weighed close to 60 lbs. They were monsters. Thanksgiving is coming and we and all our loved ones will have turkey that has never been frozen and has been raised organicly on non-GMO feed. These babies have been free ranging since May and I think the smallest hen will dress out at better than 30 lbs. fun times!!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 17, 2012
5:38 AM

Post #9335305

Wow, that sounds great, Nik!

I'm getting a small free-range duck. There's just my sister and me to feed.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 17, 2012
5:38 AM

Post #9335306

Nik that is great . WOW 30 lbs ! i thought a 16 lbs bird was big LOL I didn't know their were any abbatoirs left ? or is that the same as a butcher ?
i finaly got my garlic in the ground ! but only did 150. ran out of straw so will get some today.
we are not doing traditional dinner this year. MY FIL is having surgery so we are getting a take out turkey meal from Bob Evens. He has bladder cancer.
our little turkey is safe this holiday LOL

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 17, 2012
5:39 AM

Post #9335307

love duck ! render the duck fat and fry up potato's and its heaven mmmmmm mmmm

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 17, 2012
5:41 AM

Post #9335310

Well, I hope this small bird has enough fat to render!
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 17, 2012
6:12 AM

Post #9335339

I remember duck hunting in upstate NY - trying to hit wood ducks on the wing (they are fast!). Coming home with two or three ducks after expending near a full box of three inch mag shells and having a very bruised shoulder but that was some good eats.
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

November 17, 2012
1:44 PM

Post #9335642

The smallest hen dressed out at 32 lbs 4+ ozs. The biggest, heaviest tom dressed out at 49lbs 1 oz. wooeeee! serious bragging rights here!!!

An abbatoir is a room at the slaughterhouse where the killing and most of the bleeding takes place before skinning, plucking scrapping etc.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 17, 2012
4:05 PM

Post #9335748

Sue, so sorry to hear your FIL has cancer. I will pray for him.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 18, 2012
6:27 AM

Post #9336077

Caj thank you. i was wondering how you are doing ?
well my apple cider jelly is not as good as i hoped. It makes a better hot syrup then a jelly. bummer :( so i have 18 jars of it LOL
Nik 49 lbs ! yikes. what does one do with a bird that size ? feed the Duggers Family LOLLLL i guess ?
the weather has been nice for us here in Ohio. Nice sunny warm days. mild winds to none. wow .
still organizing my house .

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 18, 2012
6:53 AM

Post #9336102

What oven can hold a 49 pound turkey?
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

November 18, 2012
8:05 AM

Post #9336149

It's not usually the oven that's the problem, it's usually finding a pan to put the bird into. I have the 49er in the oven now. I had to take out the top rack. The pan is one of those oval shaped tin foil things sitting on a 1/2 slab cakepan. the sides are kind of bent downwards. I have a baster and have to suck off the excess juice every hour. It'll go in the gravey. The bird is breast down so the breast won't dry out. it'll be awesome!!!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 18, 2012
9:29 AM

Post #9336204

man i want to come to your house Nik ! sounds wonderful.
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

November 19, 2012
5:13 AM

Post #9336881

Well, mr. turkey was great!! I just had a leftover turkey sandwich (my favorite). Yesterday, we did the 49er with mashed potatoes and gravey, sweet potatoe scuffle, corn, and spinach mixed with chard. I cooked it real slow at 250*F breast down with a can of 7-up poured into the body cavity. We didn't make stuffing this time. We did it in a disposable oval shaped aluminum pan that I pushed the edges down on all around so the behemoth would fit. Then I used foil to form a tent over him. I was going to try to turn him breast side up for the last hour or so so the breast would brown a bit. but with a bird that size it just wasn't going to happen. It was fall off the bone tender when it was done. I used every bit of juice to make enough gravey to feed an army. AFter we got done eating, we started picking old tom off his bones. Today we're going to start canning him up as soon as I get back from the doctor. We are canning him in wide mouth quarts with a bit of gravey. Then Saturday we are doing another one. We're going to my SIL for Thanksgiving, then to my BIL Friday for thanksgiving again. Our turkeys at both places. My neighbors on either side each got a turkey from us, as did my FIL, step daughter, and my two sisters Then 2 for us. Happiness is a well stocked pantry, happy relatives, and a full belly.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 19, 2012
5:21 AM

Post #9336885

Nik no pics ! aaawwww :(
how long did it take to cook Tom ?
well not much going on here
still trying to find a blue spruce for jessica's garden.
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

November 19, 2012
9:49 AM

Post #9337174

I started Tom about 0600. We ate him at 1600. He had been out of the oven for about an hour when we ate. I say about because I wrote down no real times or noted them. I woke up a little before 0600 and as I was heating water for coffee, I turned on the oven. Tom was in a pan in the outside fridge. I went out in my pyjamas ans brought him in and slid him right into the oven. It wasn't really warm yet. When I started smelling him everywhere, I tested him to see if the thigh would disjoint. When it finally did I left him go for another hour then turned off the oven. He stayed in the oven as it cooled down. Then he came out and sat on the counter for while. Sometime while we were eating my mother called me and that was about 1620. So those are the best times approximations I give you. HTH

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 19, 2012
9:52 AM

Post #9337177

your house must have smelled yummmy ' O
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

November 20, 2012
7:11 AM

Post #9337945

If you go north on 68 past the mad river farm market there is a sign for a small nursery. Pimtown nursery on Pimtown rd. I would almost lay odds they'll have a blue spruce there. I hope you find what you're looking for. I could be wrong but I believe it's before you get to west Liberty

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 20, 2012
3:54 PM

Post #9338400

thanks Nik i will look into it.
long day at hosp. FIL had his surgery and everything is ok. Just a long day.
got home around 6pm
tired so i m going to watch the boob tube for awhile
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 21, 2012
6:54 PM

Post #9339460

Felt like Saturday - all day today - got some wiring done in the basement now have a usable power source there, with any luck tomorrow there will be light (even after the sun sets ).

Care and happy Thanksgiving too all.
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

November 22, 2012
4:05 AM

Post #9339658

I hope everyone is having a happy Thanksgiving, and I hope y'all stay safe.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 22, 2012
8:19 AM

Post #9339878

good turkey day to you all
i feel fatter already LOL and we have not eati'n yet.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 22, 2012
9:18 AM

Post #9339917

Here's my duck in its citrus bath (before I added ice to cover it).

Thumbnail by darius
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 22, 2012
10:07 AM

Post #9339939

And then there is light - in the basement.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 22, 2012
4:29 PM

Post #9340154

mmmm
our food was yukky.
just a crazy holiday for us . i didn't feel like cooking and was busy taking care of FIL after his surgery ect... so not much time.
duck looks good darius. yum

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 22, 2012
8:26 PM

Post #9340291

Sue, the duck WAS good, but I think I over-cooked it just a wee bit. Made an orange sauce so it was Duck a l'orange

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 23, 2012
5:25 AM

Post #9340394

yummy darius
good morning
getting back to normal temps today and this week brrrrr.
our turkey named Precious is safe one more year
Lucy is limping. She over did it yesterday running. She has hip desplasia and she over does it.
but today she seems better.
Tim my husband is out on black friday. I wish him luck. LOL

Thumbnail by taynors   Thumbnail by taynors         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

November 26, 2012
4:52 AM

Post #9342703

how does one post photos on here?

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 26, 2012
5:06 AM

Post #9342711

good morning
boy it is cold today brrrr. in the 20's
Nik i go to choose file down below , then choose a photo in my photo files. then click on send. I have a Mac so i don't know what a Pc how it works
today is a run to the Lowes again for another extenstion cord
this is how far i need to run them for jessia's garden lights
around 450 ' i think next year we are looking into some solar panels or a small wind thing to help with electric that far out.

Thumbnail by taynors   Thumbnail by taynors         

porkpal
Richmond, TX

November 26, 2012
6:06 AM

Post #9342745

Would it be easier to just buy some romex and make your own any-length cord?

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 26, 2012
2:20 PM

Post #9343147

Yes it would porkpal... i just don't know what that is ? LOL
porkpal
Richmond, TX

November 26, 2012
3:28 PM

Post #9343218

Romex is the insulated wire that is used to wire houses. You can but it at Home Depot or any hardware dealer by the spool - or in shorter lengths.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 26, 2012
4:09 PM

Post #9343244

Ate too much, Drank too much, Got some wiring done at home (west basement), Put some miles on the bike - all is good.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 26, 2012
5:07 PM

Post #9343296

thanks porkpal. i will look into it
we are still playing around with idea of solar for our barn. next year we hope to have solar electric in the barn ?
Dyson i m with you on the ate to much and drank to much LOL i can feel the burn
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

November 26, 2012
5:35 PM

Post #9343323

Here are some pics of one of the turkeys we had butchered last week. This isn't the largest one, but it's close. The beer is a standard 12 oz bottle.

Thumbnail by NikB   Thumbnail by NikB         

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 26, 2012
5:47 PM

Post #9343342

My goodness Nik... you could feed a whole tribe from just ONE of those!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 27, 2012
5:36 AM

Post #9343611

wow !
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 1, 2012
5:23 AM

Post #9346757

lets all go here

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1289500/

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Homesteading Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Share your homesteading experiences and dreams. PeggieK 246 Jul 4, 2012 8:18 PM
Ways to "Live off the land", share your ideas PeggieK 149 Mar 25, 2010 10:10 AM
Looking for possible partners in a homestead darius 71 Mar 24, 2012 3:49 PM
Explain makshi 49 Aug 6, 2008 2:36 PM
Ducks vs. Chickens nivlac 85 Apr 23, 2013 6:45 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America