Oil rubbed Copper Sink

Berkeley, CA(Zone 9a)

My oil rubbed copper sink was splashed with drain cleaner and not it is shiny on the bottom instead of "blackened" oil rubbed. How can I restore it. please?
Thanks

Corvallis, OR(Zone 8a)

There are a number of darkening solutions for brass, which will work for copper as well.

You can find "Liver of Sulfur" at a jewelry supplier. Jewelers use it primarily to blacken silver.

Rub 'n Buff in Spanish copper solution should also work.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

What about a brass lamp that got some kind of an acid splashed on it that the brick layer used to clean the pavers on the floor by the fireplace. Anything that can clean those spots? Thanks,

Durhamville, NY(Zone 5b)

The brass lamp might be a tough one. The acid is Muriatic Acid which is another name for hydrochloric acid. Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc. Guess what Hydrochloric acid dissolves zinc easily. If the brass has clear varnish on it maybe just that was damaged. If the brass itself was stained you maybe able to polish the stain out. If it's a valuable or antique with a patina you want to save I suggest consulting a conservator.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Not sure about the antique status, it belonged to my mom and I inherited it when she died. But, it is unusual. Only one I have ever seen like it. It is a floor lamp and you pull the entire stem down to turn it on and off. It also has the switch to change which light bulbs go on or off. What do you think?

Durhamville, NY(Zone 5b)

How big are the stains, where are they located on the lamp, and what color are they?

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

They are like splashes, pretty big on the base and they are black.

Durhamville, NY(Zone 5b)

I'd try polishing on a part of one area and see what happens. I think I'd try rubbing compound that you use on a car.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Thanks Doug. Do you know anything about the type of lamp I am describing, a floor lamp, where the whole stem pulls down to turn it on and off?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images