-
AuthorContent
77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 1, 2012
1:53 PM

Post #9322107

Good morning everyone.. time for a move as we were getting a long way away from the road.
I hope you like the pretty butterflies that are all around the Tea Room gardens now.

We came from here...http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1282534/

I have to pop over to Hamilton today so will be looking for an orphan or two. Never see any these days. I have bought some new azaleas and fuchsias from eBay.
I am looking for any cuttings of fuchsias and pelargoniums now if anyone has them.
I used to have lots of pelargoniums but sadly most went toes up in the bad frost a few years ago. Those that are still here are looking good now. Usually they survive any mild frost but that year was bad.

I did have some lovely fuchsias too but they went the same way. I now have a more sheltered place for the fuchsias so can enjoy the again.
My original ones were from a neighbor who grew heaps of beautiful plants but when she sold out the new people pulled them all out.

Have to go over and put up the sign post then I had better move as I need to do a few things here before we leave.
I hope you are all enjoying the cool weather and that those in the US are keeping safe and dry.
Happy day.
Jean,

This message was edited Nov 2, 2012 8:12 AM

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Click the image for an enlarged view.

77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 1, 2012
2:13 PM

Post #9322125

Darn link didnt twork, I'll try it again.
We came from here...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1282534/

Jean.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 1, 2012
3:25 PM

Post #9322192

I found you. Charley was out in the pasture waiting for me to feed him I thought I had another mule. He had rolled so much he almost looked Brown. My red fur was covered in dirt.
They get their feet trimmed tomorrow. They don't like that...
Anthony, we ain't getting any younger, you know. Be careful...
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 1, 2012
3:49 PM

Post #9322213

We do celebrate Halloween here, this is the "Good Witch Olivia" at her school parade walkaround. It's sort of a school dressup holiday with class parties, snacks and such. We did walk a bit on begger's night in the city, but the weather was quite cold and windy to be out. We only lasted a block or so before going inside, still lots of candy and treats. It's quite safe here with police patrols and most parents (and grandparents) attending to the small children. It's fun if the kids enjoy it and the hooligans stay away from trouble.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

garden4grace
Bendigo
Australia

November 1, 2012
10:10 PM

Post #9322476

Jean I have 2 lovely pelagoniums that I rescued and they are in bloom at the moment . they are potted and I was going to prune them down a bit for cuttings. I'll send you a pic so you can see if they are what you'd like then we can get them into the post for you..no fuschias though Although I'd love some if anyone has cuttings esp. named ones.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

November 2, 2012
3:28 AM

Post #9322529

Charleen, we are getting , older, less pliable, slower,, more sentimental and sillier, as each day passes,.,but if we cant remember what happened yesterday, who cares,[no doubt it was enjoyable].Hows that little beauty 'T bone' going, he is a real character,.I know you love all your animals, as much as I love mine .Cocky still rides around passenger in the car,. Ive still got my 2 galahs,.., and 'Old sooty' the cat[with diabetes].,. but we make a big fuss at needle times x 2 and he is very good with it...Anthony

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 2, 2012
7:18 AM

Post #9322679

Good Morning to you all.

Our little cold snap has ended...temps are back up around 28C...what a seesaw...

Al, what a cutie Olivia is. She looked quite happy parading around. Glad all is well for you and yours...I know so many in the Northeast are having a frightful time now.

Jean, have a nice trip to Hamilton...maybe an orphan will catch your eye.

Oh to be able to sleep like a smiling cat...GRIN

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 2, 2012
10:35 AM

Post #9322825

Went into cyber space, got to write another note.
Longears all got their feet trimmed. They were good and all got their cookies, also a haircut.
Isabelle,
Annabelle
AT, isn't he pretty???
coarse I had to include our Charley...
Was a good morning.
Anthony, I will get you another picture of T Bo, he is still growing.
Al, G'daughter is so cute...
Moon, Love the kitty...

Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   
Click an image for an enlarged view.

77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 2, 2012
1:55 PM

Post #9322950

Good morning everyone..
A nippy morning here but should be a lovely day later when the lazy sun gets through the clouds.
It was quite nice in Hamilton yesterday too. I never saw any orphans but bought a large bag of orchid mix to pot some new bromeliads.
We enjoyed lunch at the local Subways. I do like them . Lots of things to add to your choice of filling. Yum...
I potted a few seedlings from my winter brug box and also went mad with the hedge clippers.
Maybe a little too mad as my arm is a bit sore this morning.

Charleen, the furry ones are just so cute. I love them all. Charley of course, had to get in the pics too.
How is your garden looking now with Fall all around ?

Moon, sounds like you are getting some of our YoYo weather. You never know what to put on in the mornings.
Yes cats can sleep anywhere, any time...

Al, Olivia looks so happy in her outfit.
Its lovely to see the little ones enjoying their fun.

Lois, thank you for the offer of the cuttings. Dmail me and we'll work out a trade.
Nice to see you popping in again.

Anthony, keep warm down there. Nice to hear all the furry and feathered ones are well.

Hello to all our other friends. Looks like they are busy and havent found the signpost yet.

I am going to do a bit more easy work around the garden today. Have to rest the arm .

Heres a yummy treat for morning tea... Apple Cake

keep well and safe
Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

November 2, 2012
4:03 PM

Post #9323031

our weather is doing the yo yo thing too!
yesterday was very windy, hot nor'west, today is wet & windy, cold southerly.
I got the bus down to the shopping centre & posted off another entry for the weasel to strut her stuff in the show ring.
Bought myself a pendant as well - when I left the RSA they gave me gift vouchers & I saw a pendant I liked but didn't buy it, saw the same one last week for 30% off so decided if it was still there today that it was meant to be.
Hubby has been at work & now going off to the hangar to work on the planes.
I did plan on gardening today but with the wind & rain out there I think it is a good day for being a couch potato.
I have done the housework already so can feel guilt free about doing nothing now :)

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

November 2, 2012
7:48 PM

Post #9323245

Ok, I thought that I'd lost everybody...

Great Longears pics, Charleen...they look very dapper.
Ditto to all the adjectives you used describing us all, Anthony especially the last one in mine and Ray's case.

The morning after Halloween, we went and bought a witches hat for me, a scary mask for Ray( I told you that he was warming) a big spider web that covers the front door and a giant spider to sit on Tilly's back...
All the parents were either following the kids or with them in my neighbourhood...
Your little Olivia looks cute, Al...one thing I did notice was when the parent was there too, I was only able to give the kids a few lollies, so they are teaching their children good habits from an early age.

Well, I want to show you all the best Rhododendron I have ever seen in an average sized garden..
At the moment in Daylesford, yes I went back again...just about every garden in the old area near to the main street has gorgeous Rhodos, Azaleas and the deciduous Azaleas, (that I particularly like)
growing in their garden, big bold colour everywhere...love it, love it, love it..
But the best of the best was this one...Just look at this beauty...I wonder how old it was..
Dianne

Thumbnail by Seachanger

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 3, 2012
5:59 AM

Post #9323420

Glad you had a lovely day for shopping, Jean. Sorry about your arm...just one of the body's reminders to be kind to it...grin

What a gorgeous Rhodie that is, Dianne. .Azaleas do really well here, but Rhodies not so well. I think it is the combo of heat and humidity in the summer and not enough cold in the winter. Sounds like Ray is recapturing the Hallowe'en spirit...grin. Tillie will be so funny with her spider.

Did you happen to see where that idiot in England put cocaine in children's treat bags? The kids remembered where they got it, and the police arrested him.

Glad you got your pendant Teresa...and saved a bit by waiting. Hope you enjoyed your "guilt free" arvo.

Hope you all have a pleasant Sunday.

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 3, 2012
1:12 PM

Post #9323721

Older than dirt. Rhododendron, I love it! Beautiful color too...
The babies did very good for the Farrier. I believe he got married but didn't have nerve enough to ask. He had a beautiful band on. It was a pretty day. I got their mane cropped and brushed them down. My gosh, it looked like a dust storm when I patted them They are so cute.
glad you all like pictures.
Here is one for Anthony...actually three...

Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule      

77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 3, 2012
1:28 PM

Post #9323728

Good morning everyone. Cloudy here at the moment but the temp is supposed to get to around 30C.
I will be out early this morning to get a few things done before the heat gets too much.
Hopefully some warmth will make all my seeds grow quickly and encourage the brugs to flower.
We will be having our first feed from the broad beans tomorrow and the climbing beans are taking off.
Lots of flowers coming on the snow peas too.
I am putting a few pumpkins in to run along the edge of the garden.
I will have to keep an eye on them in case they decide to creep off where I dont want them to go.

Moon , thats a lovely orchid.
what an awful person to do such a thing to kids Halloween treats. Drugs are turning up all over the place . Lucky the kids remembered the person.

Dianne, that is one huge rhodo. I love them and if you like the deciduous azaleas ( mollis ) , you should go up to Bright. A lady there had a tall hedge of them. The colors were like a fire in the sun.
I hope Tilly doesnt mind a spider on her back...lol

Teresa, your pendant sounds lovely. Its nice to get something you want at a bargain price.
My gran always said everything comes to those who wait.

Hello Colleen, Anthony, Chrissy, Karen and Al.

Charleen, pat the furry ones and I hope your garden is looking colorful with pretty trees changing.
That T Bo is so cuddly.

Better get myself out and start on things as the sun is creeping out from behind the clouds now.

Enjoy your morning tea with this ...Walnut Cinnamon Loaf with delicious Coffee Icing.

Happy gardening
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 3, 2012
3:58 PM

Post #9323824

The leaves are beautiful but the gardens are dry. So no gardens now. Hope it does rain soon. I'm praying...

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

November 3, 2012
8:22 PM

Post #9323992

Jean, that's exactly what I found in some of the gardens...a hedge of Mollis Azaleas...your description was perfect...fire in the sun...if I ever breed an orange one, I will pinch that name...lol
I have the orange and the pink and I need to get a yellow one...I had a beauty at my last house called Zanzibar and the perfume was wonderful...I can't find that one though...

Hope that you get your rain, Charleen...
That is a lovely orchid Moon.

Here is Tilly's spider, it will attach to her walking harness...isn't it a beauty, it's about a foot wide...
Dianne.

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger      

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

November 3, 2012
9:37 PM

Post #9324029

that Rhodie is amazing, years ago Mum & I went to the UK to visit her family & one of her Aunts took us for a tiki tour of the Bournemouth area.
I commented on the stunning Rhodies growing wild , many of them as big as the one pictured & she sighed & said they were a noxious weed there!

T-Bo is so cute, he has lovely dark eyes.
I love the pic of him on his back - my brother has a Bull Terrier that does that all the time.
I bet Sugar would love to romp with T-Bo, she is such a flirt at dog club & had everyone chasing her today.

I didn't get my vegie garden sorted today, Baz took a mate out to the hangar to admire the planes & when he came home had to go into work for an alarmed out machine.
Technology is so great - the machines text him when they have a problem.
Still the call out fee makes it worth while.

I mowed the lawn & pruned back some foliage that was blocking the pathway.
Looked nice but trying to get to the back gate or recycle bin was getting to be like hacking your way through a jungle & after rain it really wasn't fun.

Take care everyone
77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 3, 2012
9:54 PM

Post #9324034

Hello all. Been wandering around in the sun outside and took some pics of the jungle.
It is a total contrast to what it is in summer and winter. Mostly dead looking sticks interspersed with the autimn / winter bulbs etc.
Not worth a whole thread so I am posting some pics here and you can take you cuppa with you while you wander. Watch out for the children ( magpies) they will take a cake right out of your hand if you are not careful.
Also you may come across a snake or two and plenty of lizards sunning themselves. Dont worry, they all get out of your way.
If you get tired or lost, there are plenty of seats. I will find you eventually.

Dianne, I am not coming near your place with that spider... eeekkkkkk.

Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 3, 2012
9:56 PM

Post #9324036

More...

The way out...
Another way out...
Bantry Bay rose...
Alogyne...
Bottlebrush...

Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 3, 2012
9:57 PM

Post #9324038

Some of the older brugs and some of the seedling clivias.

Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset         

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

November 3, 2012
11:02 PM

Post #9324062

Jean, I took the tour and sat on the seat near your Brugs and checked all the labels.
You have some beauties there..just wait 'til they flower..
Love Bantry Bay, a beautiful rose...the Alyogyne and the white BB are gorgeous..
I saw the maggie babies, but they wanted my cake so I moved...
Thanks for the tour, considering I can't be bothered getting out of the chair at the moment, it was very pleasant.
Dianne.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 4, 2012
5:32 AM

Post #9324176

Beautiful flowers and lovely gardens Dianne and Jean. Although Dianne, I must say that is quite the huge spidermite on your roses...grin

I am with you Charleen...we haven't had rain here in 3+ weeks...the hoses just don't give that same lush look that rain brings to the garden.

Hope you all have a bright sunny Monday.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 4, 2012
5:34 AM

Post #9324177

Jean that spider looks so soft and fuzzy...I think I may have some Bottle brush seedlings coming up. So happy. You all have some beautiful pictures. Would love to visit.
T Bo would love to play with Sugar. He loves to play with his big brother Kaluha, who is really a small chihuahua, They run and run...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 4, 2012
1:01 PM

Post #9324475

Good morning everyone.
Its cloudy here, but not cold.
A bit of thunder & lightning during the night but no rain.
I spent yesterday potting a few bromeliads and moving some pots around. I found a few flower seed packs that I will toss around the garden just to see if anything pops up.
I have a few opium poppies growing again this year. They have been very scarce over the last few years.
In the beginning the plants were everywhere. I have no idea where they ever came from, they just appeared .
With all the seed they produce, you would think the whole garden would be full of them but usually only two or three now.
I have tried collecting and throwing the seed around but it doesnt work.
I have even bought seed of different colors which never grows.
Same with the Californian Poppies. Al I get is the orange. No others seem to want to grow here.
Very different story with the two geranium species, maderense and the mauve cranesbill. They are quite happy to set up home wherever they can find a space. Same with the honesty. They find the oddest places to start growing and are very pretty.
I end up with a jungle of ferny geranium leaves if I let them all grow.
A bit of roundup in places where I dont want them always works.

Nice to see all the friendly faces popping in to the tea room. I hope you are all enjoying your gardens even if it is nearing Winter in some areas.
There is a lot of beauty in winter gardens, I do like to see the bare trees against the sky.
Not so keen on the snow some of you get though. I wouldnt like it at all to live in.

I am going outside to do one last lot of retic hose around the salvias. I have lots of spare hose so thought I may as well use it to make watering them easier.

Have to pick the first feed of broad beans too, then get the tomato planters up onto the old clothes hoist down the back, Hubby thinks it wont work, hanging them there. It is in full sun but also gets all the wind. I have nowhere else to hang them and I think the plants will be okay even in the wind.
Wont hurt to try and if it doesnt work, I can always use the grow bags for some other plants .

Heres something tasty for morning tea...Cranberry Swirl Cheesecake
Enjoy your day. Its nearly Christmas..
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

November 4, 2012
10:29 PM

Post #9324917

Same here with the Opium Poppies, Jean...I only have a few here now...

Those tomatoes that we put in the other day have doubled in size so I have to thin them out now...
Everything smells wonderful, doesn't it...

Charleen, I've never known anyone to grow Bottlebrush from seed, so keep us posted on their progress..
Very clever Moon...I think that it would take more than a squirt from a hose to scare that beauty.
Dianne.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

November 5, 2012
1:54 AM

Post #9324967

the police came and took my nan's opium poppies in the early 80's,.., a DS [forensic] walked past for 3 yrs on his way to work, and finally realised thats what they were!!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 5, 2012
6:06 AM

Post #9325119

Funny!!!! Anthony!!! Crazy man! It took him 3 years!!! Did they come and rip them out of her yard...
I stuck the stems of the plant into a pot of sandy soil and it looks like seedlings coming up. I'll get you all a picture of the babies and you can tell me if you think that is what it is. I sure do hope so...

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 5, 2012
6:42 AM

Post #9325163

Good Morning All

Yes Dianne...it would take a very large hose, but here I would have have Hubby and grandson trying to catch it...grin
Charleen, that would be so neat. I have 5 bottlebrushes here, they all set seed, but none of them have re-seeded.

I found this on opium poppies.

Legality

Opium poppy cultivation in the United Kingdom does not require a license, but extracting opium for medicinal products does.[6]
In Italy, it is forbidden to grow P. somniferum to extract the alkaloids, but small numbers of specimens can be grown without special permits for purely ornamental purposes.[citation needed]
In the United Arab Emirates, where the drug law is especially stern, at least one man was reported to have been imprisoned for possessing poppy seeds obtained from a bread roll.[7]
In New Zealand, section 9(4) of the Misuse of Drugs Act states, "It shall be a defence to a charge under subsection (1) [Cultivation of prohibited plants] if the person charged proves that the prohibited plant to which the charge relates was of the species Papaver somniferum, and that it was not intended to be a source of any controlled drug or that it was not being developed as a strain from which a controlled drug could be produced."[8]
In northern Burma, opium bans have ended a century-old tradition of growing poppy. Between 20,000 and 30,000 ex-poppyfarmers left the Kokang region as a result of the ban in 2002.[9] People from the Wa region, where the ban was implemented in 2005, fled to areas where growing opium is still possible.
In the United States, opium is listed as a Schedule II controlled substance by the Drug Enforcement Administration. In addition, "Opium poppy and poppy straw" are also prohibited.[10] However, this is not typically enforced for poppies grown or sold for ornamental or food purposes.[2] Though the opium poppy is legal for culinary or æsthetic reasons, poppies were once grown as a cash crop by farmers in California; the law of poppy cultivation in the United States is somewhat ambiguous.[11] The reason for the ambiguity is because, now repealed,[12][13][14] The Opium Poppy Control Act Of 1942 stated that any opium poppy should be declared illegal, even if the farmers were issued a state permit.[15] § 3 of The Opium Poppy Control Act stated:

It shall be unlawful for any person who is not the holder of a license authorizing him to produce the opium poppy, duly issued to him by the Secretary of the Treasury in accordance with the provisions of this Act, to produce the opium poppy, or to permit the production of the opium poppy in or upon any place owned, occupied, used, or controlled by him.

This led to the Poppy Rebellion, and to the Narcotics Bureau arresting anyone planting opium poppies and forcing the destruction of poppy fields of anyone who defied the prohibition of poppy cultivation.[16][17] Though the press of these days showed favour towards the Federal Bureau of Narcotics, the state of California supported the farmers who grew opium poppies for their seeds. Today, this area of law has remained vague and remains a controversy in the United States.[18] The Opium Poppy Control Act of 1942 was repealed on 27 October of the year 1970.[19][20]
The seeds themselves contain very small amounts of opiates,[2] and have no measurable narcotic effect. However, the television show MythBusters demonstrated that one could test positive for narcotics after consuming four poppy seed bagels. On the show Brainiac: Science Abuse, subjects tested positive after eating only two poppy seed bagels.

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 5, 2012
7:20 AM

Post #9325201

Geez.. Who'da thunk it? Probably explains my erratic behavior at times. Does that mean I have to give up my Wegman's poppyseed bagel, or just pick the ugly seeds out of my teeth. Please don't let them police the place or I'll likely be nabbed red-handed. Not to mention that they also sell donuts and pastries there. I think the sour creme and chive spread could be the real killer here, but I'm not sure if the narcs can test for that like my doctor does.

Al

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 5, 2012
7:36 AM

Post #9325215

I blame my erratic behaviour on Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins...grin I bet your doctor would be scarier than the narcs, Al.

I am ecstatic to report that we got 19mm of rain yesterday. It made for a happy garden and a happier gardener. Grin
77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 5, 2012
1:07 PM

Post #9325486

Good morning everyone. We had none of the bad thunder & lightning that was showing on the weather map. It was one time when I was glad that the weather passed by us .
We did have a nice little drop of rain overnight.
Yesterday was warm with spots of rain all day. Nothing to wet you , so I was able to do a bit around the garden.
I really must get out and fix poor Michael too. He is looking very tatty , but I just seem to forget him all the time.
I will make an effort to find him a new jacket on Thursday, while shopping. Should be plenty in the Op shops.

Isnt it funny how all the rules & regulations relating to things like the opium poppies are so different around the world ?
Maybe I have lots of ants or some other insects running off with the seeds for their cooking...lol

I love poppy seed rolls and bread. I had better watch out for the people police. They may arrest me for eating them.

I never thought of planting poppy seeds you buy for cooking. Must try some. But I wonder what sort of poppies they use ?

Charleen, congrats on getting bottle brush babies, but are they ? Usually most of our natives trees & shrubs need fire to make them grow. They have the hard casing which is burnt off in bushfires to let the seed out. It has been a way for the plants to cope with the extreme environment here over millennia. You can take the seed casings from the plants and layer a bit of sand over them then light a small fire on top. This will usually open the casing. It can be best seen when using big seeds like banksias.

Nice to see you got some rain , Moon. I hope more comes for you.

Al I love bagels too, but not with cream cheese.
I used to make them for the kids years ago. They all thought it was a funny way to cook by having them in water first then the oven. They tasted good and disappeared quickly.

Charleen, I had Charley at the door again along with T Bo. I think they love me or the cakes I hand out...lol

Anthony, that was one slow policeman , taking so long to recognise the poppies.
Hope noone comes to rip out mine..

Teresa, I can just see Sugar romping around with Charleen's T Bo. They would have such fun.
Hope all that thunder & lightning doesnt get across to you.

Dianne, you will be watching all the fashions today at the Cup. I like to watch the horses. They are much nicer looking than some of the fashions.
I hope you are lucky if you have a small bet.

Hello Colleen, Karen, Chrissy and everyone else popping in for a cuppa..

Something yummy to nibble while you sit back and watch the Cup later...always a favorite...Chocolate Cake

Enjoy the day and stay safe
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 5, 2012
3:43 PM

Post #9325555

Here is picture of What I hope is bottle brush babies. The seeds must have fallen out of the limbs I have stuck in the sand. I do so hope they are BottleBrush plants...I want one so much.

Thumbnail by ridesredmule

77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 5, 2012
3:57 PM

Post #9325562

Charleen, they do look like bottle brush leaves . Have to wait and see.
Some Aussie natives have two different sorts of leaves.
Ferny ones when young and normal as they grow .
Jean.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 5, 2012
4:14 PM

Post #9325570

That would be so cool Charleen...I may try to start some of these here.

Either ants Jean, or maybe that is why the magpies are so pleasant...grin

Has anyone heard how Chrissy's DH is recovering? Seems I read he was being released from the hospital.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

November 5, 2012
5:47 PM

Post #9325617

Charleen, could you post a pic of the parent too?
What sort is it, a tall one or shortie...as Jean said they do look like the taller type leaves...

The fashions haven't been bad Jean, they get my tick of approval...
It will be interesting to see what Camilla is wearing...

Moon, Chrissy's husband is ok, he won't lose his finger...

Enjoy the day everyone.
Dianne.

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

November 5, 2012
7:41 PM

Post #9325703

Had to show these awsome Gumtree flowers. They didnt last very long picked in a glass of water though.

Thumbnail by breeindy

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 6, 2012
5:24 AM

Post #9325868

Thanks for that Dianne. Guess I missed that info somehow.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 6, 2012
8:10 AM

Post #9326026

Honey, I think Moon sent me cuttings, so I don't have picture of parent. I can't remember who sent me the cuttings but i keep them all.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 6, 2012
9:15 AM

Post #9326078

No, sorry it wasn't me...I would have, had I known you wanted them as I do love the callistemons.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 6, 2012
12:40 PM

Post #9326235

Good morning everyone. A dull morning here and a bit chilly.
We have had none of the rain or storms that have hit other parts of the country.

The ground dries out very quickly here so a bit more rain would be nice.
Being clay soil, the moisture stays there for the larger trees etc with long roots, but the surface does get dry a lot quicker than you would expect.
Of course , the pots always need watering as most are under trees .

Charleen, I have about a dozen different Callistemons here along with other natives. I have all shades of red along with a mauve, a lemon and a few pinks.
The Grevilleas do well here too and I have a few of them.
I love all the different types of foliage they have , from really prickly to huge and ferny.
I also like the smaller Correas ( native fuchsia) .Very pretty little bell flowers which the honey eaters love.

Moon , its nice to see so many of our native plants doing well over there.
What other plants are in your garden ?

Al, hope you are not too cold yet. Your garden must be settling down for the winter now. What do you have that likes the cold ?
There is always something pretty in winter , even if its just the colored branches of some shrubs.

Dianne, did you pick the Cup winner ?
I was lucky in keeping up my record of always getting a place each year. I had a small bet on the second horse.
That will buy a few little plants for me..
I had to laugh at what some ladies wear. Did you see that awful hat Camilla wore ?
She hasnt got half the dress sense that Kate has.
Lucky most of the ladies I saw had some lovely outfits.
I'm glad the rain held off a bit for the race.
I always miss going to see the Cup, as over the years I have been to about 16 Melbourne Cups.
All many years ago when going to the Cup was a real outing that one put on their best for. .
Now for Oaks day tomorrow. There will be some weird and wonderful outfits .

Hello to everyone else. I hope you are all enjoying your gardens and some lovely weather.

Here is something yummy for morning tea...Chocolate Coconut Slice

I am going out to see what new irises have opened .

Happy day
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 6, 2012
1:04 PM

Post #9326255

Moon, I got them from someone in Florida, I will send you some seed, see if you can grow them out. The smell reminds me of Mentholatum. My memory is fading I think. HUH???
You all should see the trees they are so pretty. I will try to get you some pictures. Rain has finally stopped. I sure was glad to see it too. Beautiful slow rain...
Hubby on Vacation so My routine gonna be messed up all week.
You all have a great day...

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 6, 2012
2:08 PM

Post #9326316

Not to worry Charleen...I used to try to remember everything...now if it is important i make a note...then spend my time looking for the notes...GRIN

Wow...I don't have a lot of Native Australian plants, some violets, Callistemons and Baptisia. I lost my tree fern to the weather a couple years ago...really sad as it had gotten over 2 meters tall. I have a number of Abelias, azaleas, Amaryllis, Banksia rose and a variety of shrub roses and miniatures, tons of Daylilies, a couple citrus,Brugmansias, Japanese maples and Japanese magnolias, a variety of ferns, 2 varieties of Tibouchina, Irises and Lycoris, Large and small Turk's Cap, Altheas (rose of Sharon), Buckeyes, a large number of Crapemyrtles, hedychiums, gingers, curcumas, Serissas,African bush daisies,hamelia, salvias, clerodendrons, lobelias, Selloums, Viburnums...a little of a lot as you can see...and other plants in pots like succulents and orchids and philodendrons and alocasias

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

November 6, 2012
7:25 PM

Post #9326557

Charleen the smell sounds right, so they more than likely are bottlebrushes,
Jean, none of my Grevilleas have that smell so I am going for Callistemon...what do you think?.

Moon how is that little area that you made a couple of years back...I think that it had a water feature..but my memory isn't great...what is a Buckeye?

It's a shame Elaine doesn't post anymore, I miss her mosaics and her chatter.

You probably got my money Jean, mine are still coming...
That hat was far too big for Camilla, I don't know how she kept her head up...did you see her hat designer on tv, evidently he makes a few and she makes the final decision...I did like her cream and white outfit though.

Eucy flowers are lovely Breeindy, but they don't last.

Anthony did you have a collect?
Dianne.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 6, 2012
8:35 PM

Post #9326593

Have to see flowers , Dianne. Some leaves can be alike on both Callistemon & Grevillea, but I just love the Grevillea flowers. They range from tiny little fairy brushes to great giant's hairbrush size.
A lot of our natives have an earthy sort of smell. You could call it eucalypty or similar.

My Callistemons are all starting to flower now. The cream is in full flower, always early. Next will be the reds then quickly followed by the pinks etc.
Its funny the way some flower colors take it in turn to flower .
I have seen huge carpets of the paper daisies all come out white , then the pink quickly follows.
My nerines do the same. First are the red/orange , then pink, then white.
Are they being polite or is it the PC way in flowerland ? ...lol

Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset      

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 6, 2012
9:42 PM

Post #9326614

Unfortunately, I had an armadillo decide to burrow into that be...he wreaked havoc with the plants and what was to be bog pond for Serracenias (pitcher plants). They are interesting critters but they can be a real pain...I am getting ready to rework that area...again...sigh.

http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/animals/mammals/armadillo/

Buckeye is a small tree, Aesculus pavia http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1336/
(My Callistemon and Buckeye)

Thumbnail by themoonhowl   Thumbnail by themoonhowl         

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

November 7, 2012
1:30 AM

Post #9326677

Bahhhhhhhhh!-fortune tellers quote Dianne'' look towards the light, the coloured red light, 'think about it''.,.So what did this silly turkey do,'back ,the lights of heaven...Green moon is a red horse -moon light..,what a fool!!,..,,.,.,..,But, I picked up 30 in the work sweep!!...First lily bloom out today "Pink Giant',,Ive taken it and put in a fibreglass replica terracotta pot , down in the vets surgery to brighten people up a bit.,.my nan is crook in hospital,so I'll be in to see her tomorrow,.,.Anthony

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

November 7, 2012
1:55 AM

Post #9326683

Jean had to show you the Epiphyllum Snow Leopard cutting you sent me had it's first flower.

Just beautiful!
Thanks so much.

Thumbnail by Marleneann

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 7, 2012
7:09 AM

Post #9326836

Good thoughts to your Nan, Anthony. Hope she is home soon.

Lovely bloom Marleneanne.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

November 7, 2012
12:17 PM

Post #9327103

Good morning. kettle is on,Jean.
Hope your nan gets better quickly, Anthony.
Lovely Epi, Marlene...mine aren't that far advanced yet.
The buckeye looks very pretty Moon,

I had my first strawberry for the season this morning, the bushes are loaded...
I might get my first "Sensation" pear, I bought it last year..pic of tiny fruit below, you can see the colour already.
Hope they don't drop off.

Have a good day everyone.
Dianne

Thumbnail by Seachanger

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 7, 2012
12:27 PM

Post #9327122

Thanks Dianne. It is a nice little tree and so pretty when in full bloom. Yea! on the strawberries and fingers crossed nothing disturbs the pear-lings...grin
77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 7, 2012
12:39 PM

Post #9327128

Good morning everyone.
Strangely , its foggy this morning after a good lot of rain yesterday.
Shopping day today, so I am hoping for no rain. Its so hard to decide on what to wear this early in the day as one may have to change later. I usually go out prepared with an extra jumper and a light shirt.

Anthony, best wishes for your Nans speedy recovery.
Nice of you to share your lovely lilium bloom too.

Moon, I'm glad we dont have armadillos here to dig up the garden. We do have wombats which some call bulldozers, but none around in our area thank goodness.Your garden sounds lovely Moon. You must be like me, if its green and it grows, I'll have it somewhere...lol

Dianne, thanks for putting the kettle on. I am a bit late these mornings as hubby has to have the computer early for his daily reading of the weather for the CFA radio forecasts which are now on for the summer fire season.
Lots of long grass around so I am hoping there are no bad fires to come.
Hay is being cut on lots of farms, but this s till leaves very bad grassy area where they dont cut and also so much plantation acreage.

Lovely epi Colleen. Mine are right on the verge of opening . One has opened so the others will not be long.

Hello Charleen, your garden will be looking very pretty with your brugs out.
Pat htos efurry fellows for me and give T Bo and Charley their cookies.

Al, I see there is more bad weather coming your way again. Its terrible for all those having to face winter in such circumstances.
Hope you stay safe this time too.

Better move myself and see what I can give you all for morning tea..
Here we go... Ginger Sponge..

Enjoy your day and keep safe.

Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 7, 2012
5:20 PM

Post #9327347

Thanks Jean. I must say, my eyes are often larger than my garden space...grin

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

November 8, 2012
11:44 AM

Post #9328013

And so say all of us moon :-)

Enjoy your day/evening everyone !

chrissy
77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 8, 2012
1:01 PM

Post #9328073

Good morning everyone.
A chilly morning but should be a nice day later. Yesterday was a beautiful warm day after a bit of fog.
By late afternoon, it had begun to rain and become colder.

I found no orphans and was disappointed to find no pretty azaleas either.
I did see some brugs in Mitre10.
One was labelled as Pink Panther and was from Yamina.
The other two were from somewhere else as the labels didnt have a nursery name on them.
They were labelled as Peaches & Cream and an orange which I cannot remember. I know it was one we had talked about as being wrongly named.

Hello Dianne, Teresa, Moon Charleen , Al , Anthony and Chrissy.
I hope you are all going to enjoy a lovely weekend full of sunshine.

I am off outside to get a few things done before it decides to rain again.
I want to get a few pics of the irises too. Its always a nice time to take pics before the sun is too bright.

Here is something tasty for morning tea...Sultana TeaCake..

Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

November 8, 2012
10:25 PM

Post #9328499

Gagging on the humidity here after the storms and heat, you can actually see it in the air.
At least we didn't get the hail like many close to us, poor things.
Watching pics from over the pond is very hard, if only we could send some heat over to those shivering in the cold.
Hope everything will improve as quickly as possible.

This Stormy weather has triggered the kind of amazing growth that jungles are made of, the frogs are singing their hearts out, bless them, go get those bugs !
The ants are starting to come out looking for new pots to infest. First Mozzies !gnats etc.
Lots of stuff all over the grounds to pick up- the things you find after a storm!

The weekend looms ...soon it will be how many sleeps till Christmas ? and
-
-
-
-
-
2013 !!!!!!!!!!!

chrissy :-)

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 9, 2012
8:18 AM

Post #9328782

Good the hail missed you Chrissy...I empathize with you on the heat and humidity. It is indeed choking when the temps are in the high 30's and humidity is above 80%...sort of like trying to breathe hot water...I know your Hubby is home, but hope he is continuing to do well. As for the storm stricken areas...it is like living in a war zone with no way to fight back and no where to go. Hopefully this will be a wakeup call that Mother Earth is indeed starting to fight back...the Earth is warming and if we are not careful and much more respectful we may find ourselves being shrugged off like pests...Australia, like the US has seen more than a little sorrow caused by storms, floods and fires. Here's hoping those that can make a difference do so.

46 days til Christmas...the older we get the faster the days fly by.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 9, 2012
12:52 PM

Post #9329015

Good morning everyone.
Its freezing here this morning because we have a frost. Going to be a lovely day later though. The sun is shining and no wind or cloud.
I hope my bruggies are all okay out there. Not going out yet, my toes & fingers need warming up first.

Not much done yesterday as we had light sprinkles most of the day with a cold wind.
I did get one of the tomato grow bags done. It is now hanging on the old clothes hoist.
I put two plants in the bottom and will do the second bag in a week or so when my seedling tomatoes are bigger.
The climbing beans are now starting to put up their tendrils.
Should be lots of beans later.

The epis are getting closer to flowering with lots of big fat buds. My hatioras are also going to be out for Christmas.
I am hoping to see a flower or two on the white hatiora as they are very rare.

Hello Moon. I saw some of the news about all the snow etc coming on the devastated areas over there.
I do feel for all those trying to survive after the hurricane and now being snowed on. Winter is the worst time for any disaster to hit.
Not that there is a better time for any disaster, but things can be more manageable if the weather is fine and people are not freezing.

Al, I hope my tomatoes do as well as your plants did.
I will have some in the ground as well as the bags.
Hope you are not getting too much snow .

Dianne, how are things down your way. Did you get any rain yesterday ?
I have planted the last of my flower seeds here so will be looking for any that grow and flower.

Hello Charleen. hope you are still getting some nice weather too.
I saw the tail end of Charley this morning as I came in.
I think Abigail was sitting on his back.
Didnt see dear little T Bo, but he was probably there too.

Hello Colleen, Chrissy, Anthony and Teresa. I hope you are all enjoying sunshine .
Enjoy your gardens. Anthony, you will be surrounded in lilium blooms. Love the one you posted .

I am going to get another cuppa to warm my fingers.

Hers a tasty nibble for morning tea. ...Chocolate Berry Loaf..

Enjoy the day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

November 9, 2012
1:51 PM

Post #9329080

just a quick update... been having lap top issues, keeps locking up.
miss you all, hope to be back properly soon
take care everyone
{{{hugs}}}
teresa

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 9, 2012
6:22 PM

Post #9329311

Fall photos for you all.
going up my Road.
Isn't it beautiful? Ran out of Battery power or I would have gotten one on each curve. Got 8 curves to my house...
But I got halfway, How about that??

Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   

77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 9, 2012
8:06 PM

Post #9329373

Charleen, that is so lovely. I may have to get Carpet out and come over to live on your road.

Teresa, hope to see you back soon. Computers can be a real pain, when they decide to do their own thing.

I am a very lazy person today. It was so lovely outside , I did some potting then found a few seeds to plant . I was sitting in the greenhouse with the door wide open enjoying the warmth after planting my seeds. Next thing I knew, I was opening my eyes after dozing off. I spent a comfortable 15 minutes having an unexpected siesta.

Its usually hubby having the granny naps.

Oh well, it was so nice out there and did me good.

Jean.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

November 10, 2012
12:54 AM

Post #9329435

lap top still locking up at random intervals...
spent the day at the Dalmatian Club Specialty Show.
Sugar won her class in the bitch line up & then won her class In Show.
She also won the Best Liver stakes - & will have her name engraved on the trophy I donated years ago.
Always hoped to get Copper's name on the Dalfyre Trophy but instead it will be Sugar's.

Sugar's breeder was down from Wellington & was very happy with how Sugar is doing.
Always nice to hear that I am doing it right.
Copper got lots of kind words from the judge although he did't win his class - not surprised as the other dog was younger & still looking good.
Veteran is any dog over 7 years old, the other dog was 8.
Copper at 14 cannot compete but he was having a lovely time playing at being a show dog again.
We came away with a few nice ribbons and a nice haul of prizes & a goodie bag full of donated products.
Cheers all...
take care everyone

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 10, 2012
5:23 AM

Post #9329485

Congrats Teresa and Sugar. Nice to be able to really show what your pup is made of. Bravo to Copper...I bet your old boy could still teach them a few tricks. Hope you get the laptop problem solved quickly.

Hope everyone is having a nice weekend. It is supposed to be warmer all across the country today...better news for the folks on the East coast.

Charleen...your pics reminded me of John Denver's song Country Roads...nice.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 10, 2012
6:16 AM

Post #9329519

Thank you, I love the fall and our road is really beautiful this time of the year.
Yep, it is Country Roads...
T Bo is still growing and playing. He took his water dish out of bathroom and I haven't found it yet. that dog is a clown. I know Copper is loving getting out socializing...
Hugs and nuzzles to all...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 10, 2012
12:33 PM

Post #9329740

Good morning everyone.
A beautiful sunny morning even if cold. It will warm later as did yesterday.
We are off over to Hamilton again as the computer is going in for a checkup.
Its not busy on Sundays so the shop should be able to do it quickly. Everything works well but is all in giant size.
Its very annoying having to scroll up & down and side to side on every page. Even the Windows files are large.
Happened once before after an update to a program came in , but after a shutdown all went back to normal.
This time is worse and I cannot fix it. One needs a small child in the computer to do these things...lol

Teresa, so nice to hear that Sugar is turning out so well. Its all worth the runaround she gives you with her mischief.
Good to see Copper still keeping up too.

Moon, you are right about the pics reminding one of that lovely song.
Good to hear there is a bit of nicer weather there.

Charleen, You may find that bowl of T Bos down with Charley. I think they get up to mischief together.

Hello Dianne, Colleen ( hope you are feeling a lot better ) , Al, Anthony and everyone else popping in for a cuppa.
Better see what I have in the kitchen for you all.

Here we are ...Blueberry Coffee Cake

Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

Keep safe
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

November 10, 2012
4:50 PM

Post #9329902

Congratulations to you and your dogs Teresa!!!-Its great to get rewarded for all the hard work, once in a while..Quiet weekend here, Ive got lilies for sale, but no fish!!!!!!..took a look at the 'Derwent Valley Flower Show'' and now I'll put some new perches in the bird cages and give them a clean out...You would have laughed at the 'big white cheddar cheese theif'- Cocky, after I had cooked 2 hamburgers with the works last night on the BBQ..He managed to swipe the cheese from the side of the hamburger -Anthony
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

November 10, 2012
6:54 PM

Post #9330007

well I never knew Cockatoos liked cheese!
Even when they try out patience these naughty animals are entertaining.
Sugar ran off with my hoodie today, she was having a wonderful time doing laps of the club grounds & keeping well away from me.
I wasn't sure whether to laugh at her antics or worry that she might put a hole in my lovely merino drizabone hoody.

I filled one of my planter bags this afternoon - it took about 90L of vegie growing mix & was a pain in the ...
back to fill - it's much smaller than I thought it would be and I could only put the tomatoes in.
I didn't have enough mix to fill the other bag & was so fed up with it I couldn't be bothered even if I had.

Lap top is still a bit dodgy & unpredictable...
cheers - Teresa

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

November 10, 2012
10:54 PM

Post #9330071

Phew, it's warm...
Jean, I hope that your computer is working properly now...

Sugar certainly keeps you on your toes, Teresa..lots of fun though...hope your laptop is behaving.

Anthony, I'm going over to see your Lilium pics in a sec...glad to see that Cocky has kept his mischievous nature...have you been taking him to see your nan, is she home yet?

Hi Moon, Al and Charleen, hope that you all are having a pleasant weekend...
Colleen is a sickie at the moment so WISHING YOU WELL, Colleen...take it easy.

Dianne.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

November 11, 2012
1:41 AM

Post #9330080

My nans brain, is sharp as a pin..Its the body,thats letting her down,.She bruised a lot of her LHS, when she tumbled,.,Anyway, I'll pull the truck up outside the hospital in the morning[early] and see how shes going..B"# parking in and around there is terrible,.$3 per hr on a meter,.I get 40 mins 'free' with a truck-on a loading zone!!.,.,.Lilies will be thick and fast soon, Im in the process of shifting and sorting [To suit the show class ones}..,My brain goes 10 to the dozen, for the next 2 months,..,but , I do get results-Anthony
77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 11, 2012
12:48 PM

Post #9330459

Good morning everyone. Very cloudy here this morning but still warm after yesterdays beautiful weather.
we dropped the computer off and to pass the hours until we picked it up, we went for a drive. Beautiful sunny day so we went out to the west of Hamilton and around lots of back roads looking at the scenery and some lovely old farmhouses. Coming back to Hamilton, we bought subways for lunch which we enjoyed while sitting in the Botanic Gardens.
Havent been into the gardens for over a year , even though they are right in town. It was lovely to see how well kept they still are and I did like the new abutilon section which was a mass of mixed colors.
Sadly the old emu that used to live there in his large run had been killed by vandals .
Still the peacocks and ducks plus the odd magpie looking for a handout. There were some lovely azaleas there but not in flower. I did my bit for the gardens by carefully pruning a few bits that were hanging over the path...

With the computer, apparently sometimes Windows updates can mess around with things so it is now running very nicely, even if the pages etc are not exactly looking like they used to. At least we dont have to scroll side to side and up and down all the time now .

Hello Dianne, I am sure your garden is looking lovely. Give Tilly a pat for me.
I bet your brugs are all smiling at you too.

Anthony. I expect to see my liliums flower soon, The buds are getting bigger.
I bet Cocky had a laugh when he pinched your cheese.
You are lucky he didnt take the whole thing.

Colleen, hope you are well on the way to full health . Best wishes for you.

Teresa, I bet Sugar is still showing off in front of Copper. Good work for you and the dogs, getting the prizes. Makes all the time and work more pleasant.

Moon, hope you enjoyed a lovely weekend weatherwise over there. It will get cold soon enough so enjoy any sun.

Charleen, hope you are seeing some sun too.
I thought of Charley & friends yesterday when we were out driving. Saw a donkey in with some horses, all having a great feed of hay.
It was also very nice to see a couple of kangaroos along the road. One was keeping up with us for awhile until he decided he was better off in the bush.
I love seeing any of our wildlife when we are out.
You must be the same there, although the wildlife is a bit different to ours.

Hello to everyone else looking in.
I have a few brug seeds to plant today and some cuttings to pot up.
Looks like another lovely day now the sun has melted the cloud away.

Heres a nice nibble for you all ...GingerBread Cake

Happy day.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

November 12, 2012
1:02 AM

Post #9330814

lap top keeps locking up which is frustrating.
Sugar's breeder had her Mum along for the trip & Sugar was so excited to see her...
I think I know who spoiled her rotten as a puppy :)
They emailed me some photos from the show, first ones I've seen of us since Baz still hasn't shown me the video he did
take care everyone

Thumbnail by dalfyre   Thumbnail by dalfyre         

77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 12, 2012
12:54 PM

Post #9331313

Good morning everyone.
Another lovely sunny morning but very chilly at only 3C
Some wind yesterday but nothing strong like others had.
I planted more brug seeds and potted a few plants. Picked a lovely lot of broad beans and we had them for lunch. . Today I will finally ( hopefully) get to finishing off the short length of retic hose on the salvias. I keep getting sidetracked on other things.
I think we are all the same in going out to do some job , seeing something along the way that needs doing, then something else, so the first job gets forgotten...lol

Teresa, I hope you can get your laptop sorted, it can be so frustrating with computers. They have minds of their own at times. Lovely pics of you and Sugar.

Dianne, I hope the wind there didnt do any damage. Poor bruggies will have felt it , being so tall now.

Anthony. hope all is well down your way. . hope your Nan is feeling better. You had better make another burger for cocky.
We had a cat once that would crawl right up on my daughters chest to get at her cheese sandwiches when she was eating them..

Al, Moon and Charleen , hope all is well in your areas. I see the news here about the storms, but we dont get a lot of detail on what goes on.
I hope the authorities can deal quickly with all those affected by the storms ..

Colleen , best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Hello to everyone else coming in for a cuppa.

Here your morning tea nibble...Raisin Cookies

Enjoy the day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

November 12, 2012
9:16 PM

Post #9331704

Jean,I went out this morning and smelt a new perfume, I couldn't figure out where it was coming from...
Then I saw this big white Epi...it hadn't flowered before so I didn't know that some Epis were perfumed...
This one is beautiful inside as well as outside...look at the lovely stigma..

Luckily there wasn't any noticeable damage from the wind yesterday...

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger         

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 13, 2012
6:17 AM

Post #9331869

My Christmas cactus is blooming. Fella Told me T Bo got green paws. But isn't this beautiful???
The 4th picture is my little fairy garden with pond I made...
All the critters and I are doing great.
These blooms have no smell to them that I can smell.
Had some rain yesterday and it is a beautiful sunny day...

Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule

77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 13, 2012
12:33 PM

Post #9332226

Good morning everyone.
Its very cold here again this morning , but I dont mind because the day usually turns out warm later.
Watching the sun as the eclipse is nearing.

Charleen, its funny that the Christmas cactus ( zygo here ) blooms for the northern hemisphere now while here they flower around May / June coming into our winter.
The Hatioras are blooming here now for Christmas. Very similar in looks until the flowers appear.
They have a very pretty daisy like flower.
I have reds, oranges, pinks and a rare white.

Dianne, thats a lovely epi flower. I am waiting for all mine to pop open. Heaps of buds .

Hello Al and Moon. hope you are enjoying some mild weather over there.

Teresa. hope that laptop of yours is behaving itself now.
I'm very glad that Sugar didmt do any damage to your lovely coat when she ran off with it.

Anthony, my lilium buds are swelling . Wont be long now to lots of pretty colors.
Hope yours are all exploding open .

Hello Chrissy and Colleen.
Hope hubby is feeling so much better now Chrissy and Colleen , you take things easy too.

Hello to everyone else looking in .

Something yummy for morning tea...Almond and Strawberry Cake.

Stay safe and warm
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 13, 2012
12:37 PM

Post #9332233

Charleen, a couple of my Hatioras ( or as they used to be known , rhipsalidopsis) . This is from last year, they are just opening now.
Jean.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 13, 2012

Post #9332246

Those are beautiful. the blooms just don't last long enough, do they???
Thank you...
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

November 14, 2012
12:47 AM

Post #9332710

Ah Charleen, Sometimes you make me laugh!!, with your statements!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I I look foreward to each one-Anthony

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

November 14, 2012
2:32 AM

Post #9332723

Guess what you find in Bunnings ...my friend sent this picture.
They used to be so hard to get unless you got them from a friend or grandmother's garden. :-)

Looks like everything old is new again. Isn't that great ?

chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100

77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 14, 2012
12:45 PM

Post #9333160

Good morning everyone.
Very dull here this morning after a lovely day yesterday.
I am off to the doctors early this morning .
Last jab of cortisone for my shoulder which is about as good as it is ever going to be now , I think.
Have a bit of a rash on my arm from some plant I was pushing around yesterday while weeding.
Its not itchy and is clearing quickly.
I have a feeling it may have been the awful sticky weed that seems to want to take over the entire garden. I waded into a back part of the garden to get at a huge patch of it.
Long wandering stems and small thin leaves. Very sticky, so bits get carried around when you dont see them attached to shoes etc.. At least its easy to pull out as you can roll it up in a ball because it sticks to itself.

I will just leave something tasty for you all and catch up later. Better be off as I need to water a few pots before we leave.

Here we are ...Apple and Cinnamon Slice.

Enjoy your day
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

November 14, 2012
12:53 PM

Post #9333172

Morning all,
Jean, it will be that rotten sticky weed...it's awful stuff.
Colleen, how are you? not overdoing I hope...
It looks like a nice day ahead,
I like the "Lucky dip" label on the Epis, I think that they pinched that tag from you,Jean...I think I remember you using that term re your Epis on one occasion.
Are there many scented Epis or is it only the white ones?...my red one opened this morning...

Can't wait for the liliums to start, I think that I am a day away from the first one opening...

This clematis is so pretty I can't resist another pic...
Have a good day all.
Dianne

This message was edited Nov 15, 2012 7:56 AM

Thumbnail by Seachanger

77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 15, 2012
12:44 PM

Post #9334029

Good morning everyone.
A nice bit of rain yesterday . Still very cloudy but I can see bits of blue sky.
Saw the doctor who is pleased with the progress of my shoulder.
No more visits.

Dianne, the clematis is very pretty.
I cant get any to grow here as they dont like the wind much.
I did get seeds from one I saw in the Portland Bot. Gardens years ago. The seeds grew very well and the plants climbed everywhere.
Too well and too far. I pulled the lot out but was till finding babies for a year or two after. Apparently I had chosen the most rampant one around and the flowers were not much to look at anyway.
Very small and white..

My mandevilla makes up for the lack , also the climbing roses.
Musnt forget I do have Jasmine.
Boy do I have Jasmine.
She likes to run around on the ground , hiding from me , then pops up in the oddest places. How can I get rid of her when she has such a wonderful perfume ?
I chase her down every year and chop miles of tendrils off.

Looks like everyone is busy these days. Its nearly Christmas , so there is probably much for you all to do.
I have my menu planned and any gifts I needed already bought. I must get the Christmas cards out too.
I still like the old fashioned cards instead of ecards for Christmas.

Hello Colleen, hope you are able to be up & about now.

Teresa, give the spotted ones an extra pat for me.

Moon, hope you are enjoying time and nice weather in your garden.

Al. how are things over your way ?
You may have a white Christmas.

Anthony. My liliums are ready to open. A few more warm days should fix them.
Hope all is well with you down there.

Charleen , an extra cookie for all the furry ones and dont forget Abigail & the rest of the feathered ones.
I havent seen Charley for a day or two. I think hes waiting to see what he gets for Christmas.

Hello to everyone else ...
Heres a treat for morning tea...Apple and Blueberry Shortcake..

Enjoy your day and stay safe.
Jean

This message was edited Nov 16, 2012 3:14 PM

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 15, 2012
8:15 PM

Post #9334372

Climbing Iceberg rose and Jasmine
Smells wonderful every time I walk in the gate.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 16, 2012
12:10 PM

Post #9334749

Good morning everyone...
Yoohoo...Is there anyone out there ????

It is very empty here but I know you are all getting ready for Christmas.

I just pottered around yesterday as the weather is still cloudy . Not too cold though so I can be outside.

Have to do a bit of cutting some weeds from under & around the roses today. I dont want to get too close to the plants with the Roundup.

I hope everyone is enjoying some lovely weather and their gardens.

Enjoy the weekend.

Heres a treat for morning tea. ...Banana and Date Loaf..

If noone arrives to eat any cake ,Charley and friends will have a nice snack.

Happy day and stay safe..
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 16, 2012
5:37 PM

Post #9335040

Just a quick Hello Jean.

Spring and Fall...the two busiest times in the garden...yours are creeping up and ours going to sleep...getting the greenhouse situated for winter. We have had a few nights down to 4C, but days get up to 18/19C and have been sunny of late.

Hello to everyone...have a grand weekend.

Moon

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

November 16, 2012
8:15 PM

Post #9335163

Iceberg is still one of the prettiest roses around, I think...I think we take it for granted, it's looks so delicate when you pick an individual flower, but it's as tough as old boots...
My cousin is in NZ at the moment and she's going to Cambridge stud to see Zabeel tomorrow...he's 26 now. for those not familiar with thoroughbreds amongst us, Zabeel was a very good racehorse who turned into a champion sire...

Jean and Charleen, Tilly and I had to fight off Charley and his longeared mates to get a bit of that cake, just because we were late...
Colleen, hope those boys are looking after you..
Enjoy the weekend everyone.
Dianne
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

November 17, 2012
12:36 AM

Post #9335235

Loaded up, Ready to go to the ''Claremont On The Green'' girl guides sale tomorrow, in its 4th year...55 lilies and not 1 flower in the back of the truck,.,big day today, dug the truck out of the garage,fitted the canopy, loaded it-got all my goodies together, [signs-pens-bags-drinks-ice-hat-sunscreen-seat-pictures]- Anthony

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 17, 2012
5:46 AM

Post #9335313

Have a grand day Anthony...hope you sell them all.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 17, 2012
6:56 AM

Post #9335367

Yes, I thought I saw Charley with a few crumbs falling on the ground. He does love his desserts. He knows you have the best...
Been fairly cool here. so on goes the long johns, I can't stand cold. Even wearing shoes instead of sandals. winter has reared it's icy head. Think I'll bonk it back down.
Dianne, Charley will run off if you raise your arms up and start Hollering. He thinks we are bigger than our usual selves. Just have to watch out for those flying hooves if he is feeling feisty...
have a Great day...
Charleen, Charley and Critters

Thumbnail by ridesredmule

77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 17, 2012

Post #9335620

Good morning everyone.
Lovely to see a few faces back in here.

♬ ♪ ♭ ♫♪ Happy Birthday Shaun ♬ ♪ ♭ ♫♪

I know you dont get into the Tea Room , but we will still enjoy a cake with you .
You can share with friends on the brug thread.

Anthony , I hope your day is enjoyable. Good luck.

Dianne, I love the Iceberg roses. I have also the normal bush type Burgundy Iceberg which is gorgeous along with a pale pink Iceberg..
They are very good at flowering over a long period too..

Charleen, you have been making cute figures again. I like that little one.
Charley is no bother . He cleans up all the old crumbs for me.

Its chilly here this morning but the sun is out. I will be doing a bit of fertlising later. .
There are a few weeds to catch up on around the roses too.
Finally got to finish the retic hoses around the salvias. Now I can just turn taps on whenever I need to water.

Better get myself moving. I have lady coming to look around the garden today an I am hoping she buys a lot of plants.

Enjoy the day and I hope you are all getting some lovey weather even if it is getting close to winter in some places.

Happy day, stay safe .
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 17, 2012
1:29 PM

Post #9335629

i went out to my little Greenhouse.
Look at what greeted me. i wish you could smell it...
Charley sending nuzzles to all...
See the pink one in the back??? It was so heavenly to smell it...

Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

November 17, 2012
8:36 PM

Post #9335931

They all look beautiful Charleen wish we could smell them, ours are only spot flowering at the moment until they have their big flush.

Hope you sell your Liliums, Anthony...the weather is ok here for markets and such...

Has anyone noticed that Salvia 'Hot Lips' doesn't flower the same way all the time...mine has deep pink, light pink, a mottled pink and the occasional 'Hot Lips' colour?
I know it's a hybrid, but you would think it would stay mostly like it should...not mine.

This is the rose that I bought last Autumn, pretty thing.

Well a cuppa then back into the garden...enjoy the day.
Dianne

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger         

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

November 18, 2012
1:43 AM

Post #9335976

I forgot my seat!-anyway, I sold a few..,and by the time you purchase a couple of bottles of tomato relish and a couple of fresh snags- there goes part of the profit!!..Who cares!-It was a great day.,with Anthony going '' yakkity yak yak yak'' about lilys all day,..,thats ok too-especially when people thank you, for explaining things in a simplified manner, ,.,.,. Anthony
77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 18, 2012
12:32 PM

Post #9336317

Good morning everyone.
Those that have popped in anyway.
Been rather quiet here lately
Its that time of year when all are busy with Christmas preparations

Anthony, so nice to hear that you had great day..
Its lovely to be able to chat about plants to interested people. Thats what I like about going to the markets too.
Fancy forgetting your seat. You would have been a bit tired by the end of the day.
We do the same ... buying lovely snags & relish etc. Makes a small hole in the profits, but thats part of going to those things isnt it. ?

Dianne, that salvia Hot Lips, is known for blooming in different shades of red & white .
Mine does it every year.
This year its mostly a pretty red . Last year , mainly white with some red .
It often has the different colored flowers on the same branch.
Very pretty rose too.

Charleen, it must smell lovely in your little greenhouse with the brugs out.
Lovely ..Pat those furry and feathered friends for me..

I had the lady visitor here yesterday afternoon, but she wasnt a mad gardener like us .
Just wanted a few iris for her garden..
I am happy to make a small amount as it buys potting mix etc..

Today I am going to do a check of all the zygos I have . I have a person interested in some , so maybe a little more pocket money coming. ...

Hello Teresa. hope all is well over there. You will be getting busy in the shop with Christmas so near.
Pat the spotty ones.

Colleen, hope you are up & about again and feeling much better.

Moon, enjoy your Fall, it will be getting very cold soon enough.
Hope your garden doesnt suffer too much in winter.

Al, I have some of my tomatoes now hanging in the grow bags on the old clothes line. I will put the rest in the ground . If at least a few do well, we should enjoy some yummy feeds during the summer.
Hope you are still enjoying your Fall color before the winter cold really sets in too.

Hope all others are feeling well and enjoying some nice weather.

Heres your morning tea nibble ...Caramel Crunch Cake..
Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 18, 2012
12:46 PM

Post #9336325

Good Morning Jean.

Most everything I have growing out in the garden is winter rated at zone 7 at least. And most are perennials so winter gives me the opportunity to really clean the beds, add a bit of compost/soil and lay in new mulch without damaging anything. But it does take a lot of time.

Anthony, I know they appreciated a "layman's" explanation of all things Lillium ...it always helps when questions are answered in terms folks can understand and digest. Good on you.

That rose is a beauty Dianne. I am a big fan of the iceberg climber also.

Beautiful brugs Charleen...I know you are enjoying the wonderful fragrance.

Hope everyone has a lovely week.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

November 18, 2012
12:47 PM

Post #9336326

Hope you flog heaps Jean, good luck.

Off outside, it is a beautiful cool sunny morning here. Great working weather, gotta grab it when you can.
Cheers to all our happy gardeners !
Hope you are enjoying your Seasons both Spring and Autumn.
North, South, East and West !
For Happy Times, gardening is best !
Enjoy !

⋱ ⋮ ⋰
⋯ ◯ ⋯
⋰ ⋮ ⋱
✿¸.•*¨`*•..¸✿
╬♥═╬╬═♥=╬╬═♥╬

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

November 18, 2012

Post #9336327

Waving over the pond moon :-)

same to you !

chrissy

This message was edited Nov 19, 2012 7:49 AM

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 18, 2012

Post #9336331

Waving back and grinning Chrissy. 8-)

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

November 18, 2012
10:22 PM

Post #9336783

I hope that your customer bought a few plants Jean...very handy the extra cash before Christmas...it's when you need more potting mix...lol

Look at what the very artistically minded parks and gardens section of our council have planted on our roundabout...
At first there were the little pink things and the border of succulents...pretty enough..
Then on Sunday there appeared this cabbage tree looking thing, sticking up in the middle of it.
One thing I will say, it is very tidy at the moment...
There are a lot of those Cabbage trees in gardens on our estate, so maybe they had a look and thought that they would be appreciated because they are low maintenance...
The house on the corner in the background, has them along the path leading to their front door..soon they will be blocking the path so down they will come...

I'm getting used to this minimalist look...at least there is something there...

The council planted all the dwarf Flowering Gums on our verges and so this roundabout is very different to the lush growth and flowers on the Gums.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 19, 2012
7:30 AM

Post #9337021

Good morning.

Dianne, that does have a nice neat well kept look to it. yesterday I watched a program called Living Abroad...this episode was set in Melbourne as they talked with 3 American families that have relocated there. One of the couples has built their dream home in Clifton Springs...they showed bits of the area and talked about how beautiful it is there. I told Hubby that I was acquainted with someone who lived there...he laughed and said "let me guess...ummm on DG" Grin

Hope you all have a lovely day.
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 19, 2012
8:03 AM

Post #9337041

Hello All!

Sorry for the delay, it's been a calamitous couple of weeks here, but we are all surviving and doing well heading into the Holidays. Electric has been on and off, we've been working on auxilaries to keep the main things going. We have adequate heat from two manual burners that don't require electric power to operate. Our computer service has been sporadic because the mainframes in Syracuse have been down. Many familys downstate are much worse off than we are. Several thousand are still homeless, many are doubling up with friends and family in the safe areas to escape the troubled mess down there. Utility crews are still trying to restore power in some areas.

We are heading into our Thanksgiving week with a big gathering of the family scheduled Thursday for the traditional turkey dinner. If all goes well we should have about 12 or 14 at our table. It's usually a big feed with all the family members chipping in to help. We've got a 22 pound (10 k) bird to feed the clan this year.

Have a great week!
Al

77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 19, 2012

Post #9337295

Good morning everyone.
The sun is shining and the temp is a bit cool ( 8C) but going to warm up later as yesterday did.
I ddint do much yesterday but did have to spray a bit as the spider mites are about.
I may get the Roundup out today and give one last spray on all the remaining green weeds.
The country is drying off fast now and the fire danger will be high.
A lot of councils do not allow any grazing of cattle & sheep along the roads now , so with the rain we had over the year, grass is very long & thick.
A lot of farmers do cut the verges for hay, but this still leaves large areas not able to be mowed.
Looking at the fires in SA, it is a worrying time for everyone over here too.

I will also be out in the shadehouse as I sort out a lot of zygos I have sold.
I am slowly downsizing a lot of plants as I prepare for taking care of the garden as I age.
One has to look at the long view and make the sacrifice of some plants.
None of us are getting any younger and I thought its time to start now after seeing a few people struggling with large lots of plants and not wanting to get rid of any.
I will soon have a nice manageable amount of all my favorite plants that I can comfortably care for, for a long time yet.

Dianne, that is the most unimaginative area . I know safety dictates low growth etc, but that cabbage thingy will only look tatty as it grows. They all seem to after a while. Low growing hebes or similar would do better.
No imagination, these councils.

Moon, nice to see you . There must be a lot of Americans out here now .
I could do a swap with anyone who has lovely trees and Fall color .
No, on second thoughts, I dont want to live with any snow...lol

Al. great to hear you are all safe there. Its very hard to imagine what people are going through as Winter approaches and they have to make do after the damage.
I hope you and your extended family enjoy Thanksgiving.

Hello Chrissy, you will be enjoying getting ready for Christmas. Glad your hubby is better now.

Hello Teresa, Colleen , Charleen and Anthony.

I had better move and get started outside before the sun gets hot .

Enjoy your day everyone and stay safe

Heres a treat for morning tea...Caramel, Peanut Butter Bars.
Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

November 19, 2012
2:59 PM

Post #9337395

Morning all,
Moon, I'm glad that you got a little look around Clifton Springs...Did they mention the wineries, we are having another Winery Wander this weekend...It should be Winery Stagger, by the time you sample all the different wines, you couldn't be still on your feet...I gave up years ago.

Al, I had no idea that your state was still having such problems...so sorry for those people who are out of their homes...
I hope that you and your family have a great time together and enjoy that turkey...
That also goes for Jean, Charleen and Louise, wherever she is...

Glad that you are selling up a few things, Jean...you are right about cutting back on the work...we have to think of the future..
I'm glad that we made the decision when we did, now we fight over who is going to pull out the next weed...
My all time favourite little rambler Cornelia.
Have a good day all.
Dianne

Thumbnail by Seachanger

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 20, 2012
6:07 AM

Post #9337890

Good Morning.

Yes Dianne, they did talk about the wineries...one of the couples spotlighted in that show moved to the area expressly for the chance to have their own vineyard. I think the place they chose was a bit out of Melbourne called Yarra. Absolutely beautiful scenery there.

Hubby and I got to tour the Napa Valley, California wineries while visiting his sister. It was a very good thing that we were riding the train and had shuttle service to and from.GRIN

I agree Jean...there comes a point when I have to let common sense rule the garden...not my desire to grow Everything in multiples...grin

Hang in there Al...it will get better...we never really realize how much we take for granted until the power goes off...good thoughts for you and the folks along the coast.

Hope everyone has a peaceful day.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 20, 2012
12:40 PM

Post #9338181

Good morning everyone.
A very quiet night here thank goodness. There was a large area of thunder & lightning which moved through just north of us. Hubby always worries about lightning because of all his radio antennas outside.
We did get a little rain and thankfully the awful hot wind we had all day yesterday, has also gone.
The poor plants were in shock after so much cool weather. Now they know that Summer may get very hot for them.
I will give all the brugs a dose of fertliser today so they can gather strength for the next lot of hot weather.

Dianne and Moon, you can talk about your wineries but give me a good cuppa any day.
I did one of those winery crawls with hubby and a friend , a few years ago.
We went over to Penola which is a very large winery area in SA.
The two men wanted to taste everything and tried in vain to get me to do the same.
All I can say is ...ugh.
To me, any wine tastes awful. I do not like the smell and the taste is even worse.
The wineries themselves are lovely to visit. Beautiful gardens full of roses.
Hubby is resigned to having a wife with no wine appreciation at all.
If I ever had to drink anything alcoholic it would have to be only beer.
I prefer my cuppa of green tea...

Hello Al, glad things are a bit better there for you.
I do hope the Winter doe snot bring any further disasters .

Charleen, what have you done to Charley ?
I am sure I saw him wearing antlers. Has he been visiting Santas reindeer ? lol

Teresa, I hope you are enjoying lots of customers in the shop . What goodies are you going to spoil yourself with for Christmas ?
Hope the spotty ones are behaving well.

Colleen, get better soon.

Anthony, you are going to have a huge splash of liliums when they all decide to flower.
We will enjoy seeing them all.
Hope your Nan is well.

Hello to all those others popping in for a cuppa.
I am off outside to enjoy the sun and no wind . The sky is blue so hopefully will stay that way.

I also hope all the fires are now under control. It is going to be a very dangerous time from now on.

Heres a yummy snack for morning tea...Banana Muffins

Happy day and stay safe.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 20, 2012
3:43 PM

Post #9338387

No antlers yet, but it is not too far off, is it???
I made these little critters today.

Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule         

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

November 20, 2012
6:27 PM

Post #9338579

Charleen they are sooooo cute...not as cute as the fella looking over the rail though...

moon, that would have been the Yarra Valley, yes there are lots of boutique wineries there as well as my favourite producer, De Bortelli's...
They make my favourite, Noble One...when I first bought this it was about $15 for 750ml bottle now it's about $50...I'm lucky that I bought a few bottles to keep in the early days...I don't buy it any more...it's a dessert wine and it just keeps on getting better with age...I think that I should drink my last bottle when I'm about 80...that's one a year...thank goodness Ray is like Jean and doesn't like wine...

Beautiful day out there and the first of my liliums has opened...we are just putting down the last of the pea straw...
Dianne.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

November 21, 2012
12:30 AM

Post #9338785

still having issues with the lap top - couldn't connect to the internet the last 2 days & still locking up at random moments.

Al - having been through the earthquakes here I can sympathise with all those faced with having to pick up the pieces now.
It takes a long time to get things back to normal!

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 21, 2012
6:02 AM

Post #9338903

Yarra valley...thanks Dianne. My favorite is Bell'agio...a light white dessert wine and of course the Spumantes...for the fizz...grin I have always preferred the white wines as the sulfites in red give me a nasty headache...but, that being said, I am pretty much a special occasion drinker...couple or 3 times a year, but use wine in a number of recipes. I am more like Jean...coffee and tea are the drinks of choice.

Cute little critters Charleen...including that big furry one...grin

Teresa, hope ya get things worked out with the laptop.

Colleen, do hope you are feeling better.

Waving to you all

Moon

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

November 21, 2012
6:02 PM

Post #9339423

Hello hello, where is Jean...
No cake, no tea, no good...

Hope everything is ok and it's just computer problems...
Jean, you can't get sick...Colleen isn't back yet and Ray always complains about the tea being too strong..

Moon, I know what you mean about having a Red Head...I can't drink it either..Lambrusco is as red as I can take...though I don't mind Port...with a piece of fruit cake... not in it...lol

This place is echoing, maybe I should sing...then no one would come in...
Well I'll get back to emptying the winter bulb pots and watching the cricket...not doing to well there though at the moment.

Dianne.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

November 22, 2012
12:37 AM

Post #9339611

Hmmmm!-very quiet.,.a little port is good every 5 yrs or so, lambrusco, o/k,.Have you tried the ACDC branded 'Highway to Hell'-Cabernet Merlot,.,.I think It makes me sing better![neighbors dont!!!!]
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

November 22, 2012
1:15 AM

Post #9339621

well I think hubby may have worked some magic.
He installed windows 7 & so far the lap top hasn't locked up tonight.
it has been a bit frustrating no being able to keep up with my online friends.
Hope everyone is ok here :)
not sure if I posted about Sugar's results at the shows last weekend - we had a public holiday on Friday for Canterbury anniversary,
they call it show weekend here as the A&P show is held at the same time.

There are loads of dog shows over the 3 day weekend.
Sugar won her class & was Limit of Breed both days but we didn't go any higher than that.
One of her relatives won Best In Show on Sunday but I was at obedience that day.
We did our first Rally-O competition & managed to get 93/100.
I was very happy with that score as I didn't think we were doing too well.
At one point Sugar's playmate was competing in the next ring & when Millie shot out to fetch her dumbell Sugar thought it was time to play but put her attention back on me when I called her name so I was pleased with that.
There's plenty of improvement to be made & I need to focus a little more on training instead of just laughing at her antics.
She is fun to have around & after rushing my previous dogs into competing I want to take my time & not put that kind of pressure on either of us.
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 22, 2012
7:18 AM

Post #9339823

I can see where the dog shows could be exciting. I've had several companion dogs over the years, but most were considered mere loving mutts. Perhaps the best kind for my temperment. My last was Mack, now gone, a Labrador mix with something or other that went everywhere with me.

We also live in the wine district of New York state, near the Finger Lakes Region. The state officials have recently eased the regulations on small farmer owned wineries to increase production of small batch wines. A couple of larger wineries went out of business, but a local farmer co-op bought up the bottling works which is now has shared use among all the smaller wineries. The plan seems to be working well for all, and they all profit by shared use. We do see some Australian brands on our shelves here, but I'm not a true expert to say.

Have a great Thursday all, and to the "Yankees" a Happy Thanksgiving!

Al

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 22, 2012
8:54 AM

Post #9339903

My goodness...what has happened in the Tea Room? Jean, do hope all is well with you. it has only been a day or so, but seems longer since your last post.

Dianne, if you will start the kettle in the mornings, I will make sure the lights are off at night...grin Those 15 or so hours ahead of us make for long days...or really short nights...not sure which...grin. Funny, Lambrusco is the only red I seem to be able to enjoy...maybe because it was the first wine I ever drank...grin

I must try that one Anthony...if naught else I can carry a tune in the bottle...grin

Teresa, glad your laptop is tip top again. Congrats on Sugar's wins. I think dogs that are allowed to "enjoy" their training/competition seem to have a better presentation and seem more natural in the ring. Both of your dogs are lovely.

Al, that sounds like a really beneficial arrangement. I see more Co-ops starting up in a number of areas. Share the cost, spread the wealth. Wishing you and yours a very Happy thanksgiving.

Happy Thanksgiving Charleen. Hope you have a lovely day.

Enjoy your weekend everyone. Good thoughts to Colleen, Chrissy, Marleneanne and Elaine...hope you are all well.

Hurry back Jean, we miss you. Here is a cake to tide everyone over.

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 22, 2012
10:45 AM

Post #9339953

Jean was going to take a trip, wasn't she???
Beautiful thanksgiving Day here. Hope all are doing great. Gave Charley a slice of bread for Thanksgiving treat.
Take care all.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 22, 2012
11:05 AM

Post #9339959

Holey Moley...Jean may be in the midst of a wildfire...or at the very least has lost power because of one. If I saw things correctly, she is not too far from Casterton VIC...and lightning struck and caused a fire there Tuesday evening. I remember her saying something about it being very dry and she was worried.

I found this news report and will look for more info.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/latest/a/-/latest/15433901/lightning-sparks-fires-in-victorias-west/

and i found this one. I think Jean is east of the fire

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/breaking-news/winds-fan-flames-in-victorias-west/story-e6frea7l-1226521806706?from=public_rss

This message was edited Nov 22, 2012 1:10 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

November 22, 2012
1:08 PM

Post #9340026

Coooooooooo-Eeeeeeeeeeeee!
Jean are you ok ?

I know Jean had a lot on organizing a few things, I hope all is well. Yes we often lose our power during storms or bushfires,
Maybe puter probs. Whatever it is Jean we are missing you.

We hope you are enjoying your Celebrations over there ladies and Al.

Waving to you all.
have a beaut day everyone ...Friday is always a great day because ...
here comes the weekend !

chrissy :-)

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

November 22, 2012
11:13 PM

Post #9340323

goodness I hope Jean is ok!
I am loving being online without my lap top locking up.
So far WIN7 is working nicely.

Al - do you see many NZ wines on the shelf there?
South of where I live is Otago - and top Pinot Noir is made there.

North of here is Marlborough famous for wine, especially Sauvingon Blanc.

And tonight hubby & I have split a bottle of Gisborne Pinot Gris,( that's up in the North Island.)
We traded our credit card points for 2 dozen mixed bottles of wine & plan on giving some as Xmas gifts with my home made truffles.
I have the fruit soaking in Drambuie so the truffles will be pretty potent.

Last batch I made soaked in a mix of Brandy, Hot Toddy mix, Bacardi, Vodka & Rum...
they soaked for 2 years!!!
And the truffles were fantastic :)
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 23, 2012
6:41 AM

Post #9340436

Jean, are you out there? We're getting it on our news also.

I'm not a great wino, but do drink on occasion. Our stores carry stock from all over the world, of course the local ones are very popular, too. The next time I pass through I'll try to jot down some brand names on the shelf. Since our dealers are independant, they can carry hundreds of brands, many in small batches. I'm sure there are many from NZ and AUS.

We managed to eat our turkey in peace, a great bird at that. No talk of politics or religion to ruin the day. Plenty of desserts to please all. Now they're off to begin Christmas shopping, a chore I'll beg off from.

Have a great weekend,
Al

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 23, 2012
10:54 AM

Post #9340550

Jeannnnnn! Charley is waiting for a cookie. wondering where you are. Even Abigail is scratching around looking for you. T Bo wants a cookie too..
Al and Moon glad your thanksgiving was great.
Not a beer or wine drinker but used to like a mixed drink when I went out so many Moons ago, I almost forgot.
Hugs and nuzzles to all my Aussie friends. Stay safe...

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

November 23, 2012
6:25 PM

Post #9340834

Hi everybody...
They are still having probs in Jean's area...no fires thank goodness...but communications are very patchy, I tried to phone to check but no phones lines available yet..

Poor Jean will be tearing her hair out..cut off for all these days...evidently the ATMs in the area are down too.
So she can't spend any money to fill in time...
Let's hope that it won't be much longer...

Moon I baked a wonderful cake for everyone this morning, that's why I'm late...
As you can see I like my own cooking...sorry about that...

Hope Thanksgiving was a wonderful day for you all in the US...
Keep posting, It won't be long before Jean will be cooking again.
Dianne

Thumbnail by Seachanger

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

November 23, 2012
10:11 PM

Post #9341015

oh gosh ...the poor thing !
Thanks for letting us know Dianne, I hope they are safe.
Wishing rain their way.

Hi to everyone in the Tea Room ...don't fight over that last bit of cake now. :-)

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

November 23, 2012
10:26 PM

Post #9341018

here :
http://www.weeklytimesnow.com.au/article/2012/11/24/550504_latest-news.html

gosh it could be days yet.

chrissy

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 24, 2012
7:14 AM

Post #9341165

Wow, poor Jean...no phone no internet, but at least she and her Hubby and House are safe.Thanks so much Chrissy...I kept searching for info on the fire west of Casterton, but little news beyond Thursday.

Tasty cake Dianne...the washing up is done and the kettle is full. I will tuck a goodie in the fridge for the morning. Scones with Raspberry jam and cream...and lots of extra cream for Anthony and Colleen.

This message was edited Nov 24, 2012 9:15 AM

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

November 24, 2012

Post #9341368

Morning all..
I'm enjoying a scone right now,moon...thanks for that...
According to the news yesterday, 65% of the mobiles are working in Jean's area, but not land lines or internet...so we wait...
Charleen, I saw Charley in the kitchen looking for Jean, this morning...he is a big boy...Abigail is on the window sill and T.Bo is barking.

Al, hope your family bought something for you, while they were bargain hunting...
Teresa you can send over some of those truffles if you like so we can give our opinion on the taste...I bet they are yummy...
Colleen, we are thinking of you...
Anthony, keep posting those lovely Liliums,
Have a good day all..
Dianne...
Just had a thought...by the time this communication problem ends, Jean won't have a weed left in her garden... Robert (Jean's husband ) depends on the internet as well for his roll in the CFA ... ( Country fire authority ) ...

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 24, 2012
2:19 PM

Post #9341411

That may be beneficial in Jean and Robert getting their service up quickly. I agree, her garden will be star quality and the greenhouse an absolute showplace...grin I just hope she doesn't hurt her shoulder in the process.

Glad you liked the scones I made sure there were extra for the critters.

Have a lovely weekend.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 24, 2012
3:44 PM

Post #9341464

When Charley got home with Abigail and T Bo. He showed me how much he enjoyed the trip.
He gave a big grin and brayed about how good his treats were.
He told one of the little girl donkeys and she was so glad to see him, Then looked around and
there was T Bo playing with his "big" brother Kaluha.
Then here Charley and I came along to see what they were playing with. Such a busy day.
Al, Charley sends you nuzzles too.
Hugs and nuzzles to all...

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

November 24, 2012
5:14 PM

Post #9341527

it has turned out warm here, lovely day with sunshine & not too much rain.
Sugar had her ups & downs at dog club, she had so much fun chasing & being chased.
When it was time to work she surprised me with some amazing heel work.
Later she decided sitting was too hard & kept lying down in the sit stay
Strangely enough she did a perfect down stay.
Hmmm - 2 minutes lying down with the sun on her back - not surprising that she was happy to do that.
Copper went home with Baz as he is getting too old to enjoy training.
He likes the outing & the play session before lessons start but after that's done he may as well be chilling out at home.

I bought some nice meaty bones for the dogs & they spent some quality time out in the back yard, not a peep out of them for several hours now.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 25, 2012
6:20 AM

Post #9341827

Good Morning. The kettle is on...fingers are crossed for Jean's quick return.

Charleen, tell Charlie there are cookies for him and Abigail...but No brownies...grin

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 25, 2012
7:37 AM

Post #9341883

The turkey bones are in the stew pot, about to bid a final farewell. You're all invited over for a hot soup luncheon with fresh baked biscuits on this cold afternoon. I enjoy the leftovers as much as the big meal on Thursday.

We received our first snow dusting yesterday, just an inch or so to remind us of the coming season. Threw an extra blanket on the bed just to be sure. Usually we don't see much until around Christmas.

We're a little curious as to what you folks do around the Christmas Holidays. Is it warm or hot there? Outdoor stuff like picnics, camping, or hiking? Lots of family gatherings?

Al

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 25, 2012
8:03 AM

Post #9341902

Hi Al. My Daughter lives in Brisbane and they usually try for a few days on the Sunshine Coast (Noosa) or the Gold Coast...the seasons are a 180 from ours. Santas wear shorts...grin

here are a few links for you. The first is the official Kindergarten Christmas song by Rolf Harris.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gosGBYU5vIE

http://www.gondwananet.com/christmas-in-australia.html

/ausstats/abs@.nsf/mediareleasesbytitle/55D3D67FA14ADF20CA2572450012E36B

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

November 25, 2012
6:17 PM

Post #9342405

Kettle is a bit late this morning...
Instead of morning tea we might have to have lunch and take up Al's invitation to sample his left overs...the soup sounds delicious...a question about the biscuits...Al...
Moon perhaps would know what I mean...are the biscuits like our bread rolls that we would have with soup?
or are they like a scone, only not sweet...or are they something else again?

On Christmas Day it can be very hot but my family still likes the traditional big meal, turkey, ham and plum pudding and all the rest of it...my trifle still takes pride of place...but a lot of families have BBQ's...Going to a restaurant is very popular..
We like to be together at home ( my place) and give out the presents after lunch when everyone is stuffed, then play cricket or cards...then with a bit of luck everyone will go home about 8 and we can kick off our shoes and turn on the tv and watch the Christmas programs...lol

What will everyone else do?

Thumbnail by Seachanger

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

November 25, 2012
6:23 PM

Post #9342414

Something that strikes me as funny, maybe it's only in Victoria, but in all my years I have never seen anyone have Christmas lunch on the beach...there were caravan parks across the road from our house a few years ago and even though the parks were packed, no one ate on the beach...they all went to to local pubs..
Who would want a mouthful of sand...lol
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

November 25, 2012
8:10 PM

Post #9342558

We've booked in at Richmond[Hatchers Manor]for Christmas dinner..Should be nice!
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

November 25, 2012
9:48 PM

Post #9342630

we have a big family gathering with my family, my brother & his wife usually host as they have the biggest living room - so we have SIL's family & hubby's brother too.
Anyone who is related by blood or marriage &sometimes a few waifs & strays join the ranks.
we exchange presents first & then have a late lunch.
Everyone brings food & we normally have roast chicken & lamb along with roast veg & salads & cold meat.
Dessert normally includes pavlova & Xmas mice pies along with Xmas pud & custard...
so a real mix of traditional Xmas foods and summer favourites.
A few wines or beers are usually consumed & nibbling on left overs takes us through to dinner time...
I do love big family gatherings so Xmas Day is one of my favourites

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

November 25, 2012
10:12 PM

Post #9342639

Wow Christmas mice pies lol.
I think that may be an oopsy :-) we love mince pies here,
yep the full baked dinner here.

I once mentioned Christmas Cake on an American site and was howled down, suggestions were *use as door stopper :-)*
I guess it is a British thing. We also have Seafood, salads etc. However the truth is, most times it is just too hot to eat much, so you live on cold leftovers, until you are sick of them.

missing our Jean.

chrissy

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

November 25, 2012
10:37 PM

Post #9342645

The older friends and relations, love a slice of Christmas cake with their cuppa in the afternoon...
I don't make the cake anymore, so Aldi kindly made me two...one's almost gone and it isn't even December...I think that I'd better get another...

Teresa send your mice pies to me, I have 3 cats...lol...gotta have a pav on Christmas day...

Wow Anthony, that surely is a beautiful place...lucky you...
http://www.hatchersmanor.com.au/

Dianne.

This message was edited Nov 26, 2012 5:38 PM
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

November 25, 2012
11:42 PM

Post #9342652

oh dear, that was a typo!
made me laugh to see your responses :)
was laughing so much I missed Copper sneaking the kitchen door open, he went in first & Sugar was hot on his heels.
Lucky I put the cat food up out of reach...
have to smile at the two of them - the old boy jumps over the barrier I have to block the kitchen door - Sugar the athlete goes under it,
she will leap from couch to couch while playing but won't jump a 30cm step stool laid on it's side.

My poor dogs have had the runs, I gave them bones & it was not a good idea.
I had a rather unfortunate clean up when I got home, won't go into detail in case some of you are squeamish but it required hot water, disinfectant & a scrubbing brush - on the wall as well as the floor...
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

November 26, 2012
1:03 AM

Post #9342659

I'm back and feeling MUCH better thanks to everyone for their wishes. I feel like I've had the stuffing knocked out of me and re-arranged and stuffed back in. Still have a nasty cough though. Everyone here has been so lovely to us all. The school teachers and receptionists all pulled together and made us food to eat the first week that I was home from hospital, and then my sister came from Adelaide the second week and looked after me. The boys were well enough to go to school, so she washed and cleaned and cooked to her heart's content. She loves to be in control of everything and believe me I wasn't putting up much of a fight. Ahhh Christmas. It's only just around the corner now. John and partner and G/Daughter and partner and GG Son are all coming Christmas Eve and then Brian's daughter, my niece, will come and share Christmas dinner with us. We always have a roast, lamb, pork with lots of crackling, chicken and a leg of cold ham. Roast veg and always Cauliflower au gratin and lots of gravy. We don't worry too much about sweets as there's never any room for them anyway. Sometimes I will make a "plonkless" Trifle for tea, with lots of cream. lol. Jean I hope it won't be too much longer for you to be off-line. I always have withdrawl symptoms when my computer won't work. It's terrible. I haven't read all the posts as yet so have some catching up to do. I'll try to get that done tonight and I'll see you all bright and early tomorrow. Shockingly hot here. Glad I have and A/C. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 26, 2012
5:44 AM

Post #9342727

Good Morning

Colleen, good to hear you are home and feeling better. Good thoughts that you will soon be 100%.

Anthony, Hatcher's Manor is such a lovely place. You'll have a feast fit for royalty for sure.

Teresa, maybe the spotty ones got into the mice pie? GRIN

Dianne, this link gives origin and history on biscuits...unleavened cross between bread and scone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biscuit_(bread)

and while we are at it...the kettle is on and here are fresh from the oven biscuits...American style. Usually eaten with butter, honey or jam and in the Southern states with red-eye or milk gravy.

This message was edited Nov 26, 2012 7:46 AM

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 26, 2012
6:25 AM

Post #9342766

I am sooo ready for breakfast after seeing that...Thanks!

Al

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 26, 2012
6:38 AM

Post #9342773

Never hurts to have some ham or bacon or sausage on the side ...grin

Bon appetite !

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 26, 2012
7:11 AM

Post #9342795

I love Gravy and biscuits. that is why I'm so fluffy...
Thanks for the Christmas links.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

November 26, 2012
12:44 PM

Post #9343048

Morning all,
Hot, stormy, it looks as though we are all in for it today...
Colleen, so nice to have you back...your family sounds as though they were wonderful during your illness and I think that you are going to have a great Christmas...
I will open up this morning, you stay in bed a little longer...the boys will be up soon enough.

Moon. that sounds just like our 'damper', which I love...there is just something wholesome about bread...now I have to look up milk gravy and red eye, which I thought was whisky, I'm sure the old cowboys in movies used to drink red eye...lol

Well it's pouring rain here which is great, Tilly is on my knee because the thunder scares her, making it very difficult to type...

I'm off to have one of moon's biscuits with some butter and jam.
Charleen would you please get that mule out of the kitchen, his big feet are all muddy...lol

Have a great day everyone..
Thinking of you Jean..
Dianne.

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

November 26, 2012
1:56 PM

Post #9343134

Good morning everyone. We had our thunderstorm here last night Dianne. We got a little rain too and it's lovely and cool here this morning. The boys are supposed to go on camp with the school on Thursday but the weather prediction isn't very good so we're just playing it by ear at the moment. Charleen, I could live with "fluffy". I think that sounds lovable and cuddly. Nothing wrong with that. I'm getting further and further behind with my gardening here. The broms have pups everywhere and will either need to be de-pupped or put into bigger pots, both are very time consuming. I have brugs everywhere too and some still need to be put into bigger pots. Maybe I can sit down and do it after I get everything ready. The cactus have been flowering beautifully. Still no news on Brian's garden. Will give them a ring again after. Well I must go and do a few things. Hope everyone is well. Have a great day. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 26, 2012
2:42 PM

Post #9343165

Red eye gravy is made from the pan drippings after frying up ham steaks, pork chops, bacon or other pork. It is simply brewed coffee and the oil and crispies left in the pan brought to a boil and served with biscuits, ham and usually eggs/ grits for breakfast or with ham/pork chops and mashed potatoes for dinner.

Milk gravy is made with pork or chicken drippings and crispies, flour and milk or cream with salt and pepper to taste.Also served with biscuits or mashed potatoes.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Sauces_Condiments/MilkGravy.htm

Good to see you back Colleen.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

November 26, 2012
2:46 PM

Post #9343169

Good morning everyone ...hmmmm biscuits :

http://valentia.wordpress.com/2012/09/12/tim-tams-and-other-wednesday-musings/
One man's biscuit is another man's cookie :-)

Your biscuits remind me of fried scones or puftaloons

http://blogs.abc.net.au/queensland/2009/02/rolys-puftaloon.html
These were a staple in our home as kids ... served with golden syrup, or in my case just salt.

I always made this easy recipe (boiled fruitcake) every year as well as the special heavy Christmas cake.
http://allrecipes.com.au/recipes/tag-3237/boiled-fruit-cake.aspx

Though these days we have Panetone (Italian fruit bread) :

http://www.italianicious.com.au/gastronomia/view/panettone-the-king-of-christmas-cakes

I guess most of us have a fusion of cuisines these days. Guess we all get a bit fluffier as we get older lol !

Glad to see you are feeling better colleen, health is all, more priceless than diamonds or treasures.
So nice when people come to the rescue. Good luck with the garden, slowly does it though.

Storms here too ...hot,humid and sticky. Weeds are laughing at me.

Better get going again, so cheers everyone !
Fingers crossed Jean will be back on line soon.
have a lovely day/night.

chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 26, 2012
2:53 PM

Post #9343180

The only difference I see is US biscuits are baked and Puffaloons are fried rather like the Mexican sopapillas. The Sopapillas are usually served as a desert with powdered sugar or honey.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/real-sopapillas/

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

November 26, 2012
4:15 PM

Post #9343247

hi moon no they are not thin ...imagine a scone, but fried (shallow fry) first one side then the other.Like fritters.

You can bake them too ...then it is a scone, or mini damper.
Those Mexican sopapillas look interesting though, thanks for the link.
Love reading the history of foods, don't you ?
I tend to lose my appetite in the heat, probably because I drink too much cold water to cool down, when I give up the coffee, you know it's too hot.
Speaking of which, I am sipping it right now, but not loving it the way it should be loved.

chrissy

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

November 26, 2012
11:52 PM

Post #9343541

Fluffy is fine, but too much of the red eye and the milk gravy would soon take me out of the fluffy category into the 'downright flabby' division.
I suppose Al can eat the lot with putting on an oz.

Panetone is too bland for me, Chrissy...I like the boiled or baked fruit cake, with lots of cherries...
Never had a Puftaloon either...

Colleen take it easy...the pups and the Brugs will still be there until you're feeling stronger... just a bit larger...
I hope you get a reply soon re the garden...

Jeeeeeeeeean...it's been about a week...I suppose they are leaving your small community 'till last...
Oh well, we can only wait...
Dianne

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

November 27, 2012
2:18 AM

Post #9343558

Oh dear it does not look good ...poor Jean

http://www.weeklytimesnow.com.au/article/2012/11/27/551167_latest-news.html
I am going to drop her a note, I think we all should.
I remember how I felt when I had no contact with Daves Garden, while in Junee all those weeks,
those who sent me a note sure made me feel less isolated.
I bet it would make Jean happy too.

chrissy

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 27, 2012
7:55 AM

Post #9343692

I hear ya on heat and appetite loss Chrissy. Yes, I do love exploring new foods and their history/origin. I find reading about them much safer than trying them...GRIN

I would like very much to send Jean a note...could you Dmail me her address?

Dianne, it is true...too many fluffy biscuits make for fluffy bottoms...grins
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 27, 2012
8:13 AM

Post #9343708

Okay, Dianne - I'm a bit "fluffy", too I must admit. I suppose it comes with age and wisdom, but I enjoy good eating as well. Because I'm also diabetic and cardiac I must watch my weight, doctor's orders of course. It's not always easy since I travel a bit and road food is almost always fattening. It seems that so many of our Holidays centered around family eating. too.

Al

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 27, 2012
8:28 AM

Post #9343716

Food is the great 'socializer" Al. Throughout history sharing a meal has always had great socio-political value. I am reminded of the WWII story of the GI's and their German counterparts putting down their weapons and sharing a Christmas meal together. I do not think I have ever been to a family/friend gathering that didn't revolve around food...even funerals.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

November 27, 2012
1:34 PM

Post #9343938

Yes feasting is as ancient as mankind I reckon.
History of foods is fascinating ...imagine Italian food prior to the tomato or noodles (later adapted to pasta etc)Italian without tomato ? never Lol.
Or Irish without the Potato ! impossible. (I love my spuds !)

Yes I will dmail you with Jean's addy. :-) moon, wonderful.
Have a lovely day everyone ...it's damp here after storms, the steam will come in a couple of hours.

chrissy

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 27, 2012
2:01 PM

Post #9343953

Thanks Chrissy. I too can not imagine life without potatoes...GRIN

Rainy here too, but cooling down...I guess winter is inevitable...LOL

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

November 27, 2012
3:08 PM

Post #9344009

All the talk about potatoes, made me cook some for morning tea...unusual you say...
Delicious though...

Steamy but dry here...
Good idea to send Jean a note, I'm sure that it will be appreciated very much...
I wrote to her on the weekend so she knows that moon and I are doing the cooking until she returns...
I thought that she would be back online before the letter got to her...

Here are the spuds, I have a weakness for sour cream...lots of it...
Have a good day all

Dianne

Thumbnail by Seachanger

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

November 28, 2012
1:46 AM

Post #9344426

we are in for nasty weather, snow to 600 metres!
hopefully my tomatoes will survive.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

November 28, 2012
2:06 AM

Post #9344427

Holy Moly-Snow!!-we are cooking here!
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

November 28, 2012
2:15 AM

Post #9344428

Hi everyone. Sorry I'm so late but have had a rather busy day with some shopping and taking Branden for an ultra-sound on his salivary gland. It keeps filling up with fluid all the time and causing him pain when it does, so best to get it checked. Nasty weather here too. Very hot and worse to come tomorrow so they say. 42C with high winds. The boys camp has been cancelled but they are going to bowland for a bit of a play and then are having an activities day on Friday with free lunch and recess. Cameren was very disappointed at first because this was to be his first school camp but I think the bowling has sort of made up for that. Gee those potatoes look good enough to eat Dianne. I bet there's none left for supper. Oh boy. I just went outside and the temp is still 40C at 8.30PM. Sprinklers will be going early in the morning everywhere and the little sprinkler will be put on top of the galah's cage to keep them cool. They are pretty shaded and I've put extra shade cloth up at the front of their cage but it still gets pretty warm and they like to have a soft spray so that they can get wet. I just let the chooks out and they find a nice damp spot in the garden to shuffle around in. The cats and the dog stay inside like me. Well I hope everyone has had a lovely day. I will try to get in earlier tomorrow and give you some feed-back on what the weather's up to in my part of the woods Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

November 28, 2012
12:02 PM

Post #9344736

Morning all,
Kettle is on...although I thought that a fruit smoothie might be more suitable for the day that we are going to get in Australia today...

I'm up early to check on my son's whippet, the silly boy tried to climb the apricot tree to catch a bird and ripped the skin from his groin, it was as though he had been scalped, neat as a pin, luckily the skin was still there, hanging...
It was sunday evening when it happened and fortunately the new university animal hospital had opened up in Geelong, so we took him there...
They are only open 6pm to 9am during the week and 24 hrs for Sat and Sun...
The next morning he was stitched up and ready to come home...the job that they did pulling the skin back was amazing considering it was an area as large as my hand...he has a drain in the wound so we have to check on him today, because Pete had to go back to work..

Colleen, hope all goes well for Branden...and they can fix him up without too much fuss...
Keep cool those who have heat and snow bunnies like Teresa keep warm...
Dianne.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 28, 2012
1:21 PM

Post #9344772

Poor silly dog. Wonder what it was thinking??? good thing you had a clinic to help..

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

November 28, 2012
1:30 PM

Post #9344777

Hi everyone ...the big heat is on it's way, so get ready for it.

Such a busy time, and in this heat.

Poor little doggy Dianne, hope he is doing ok.

Colleen stay inside today.

Here leaving some nice cool drinks for everyone. Enjoy your day.
Bye for now

chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

November 28, 2012
3:18 PM

Post #9344847

Hot day expected here at Buderim.
Not doing my garden any good.
sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

November 28, 2012
10:41 PM

Post #9345146

The weeks are flying past so fast so best I drop in and wish every one a early Happy Christmas . elaine.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

November 29, 2012
1:09 AM

Post #9345169

Elaine (((hugs))) I am so happy to see you,
how is your health ? I hope you are well and looking forward to Christmas, I know how much you enjoy it.
I think we may melt this year. How is your garden going ? ...and Merry Christmas !
Time seems to be on fast forward these days, that is for sure.

Gagging on the heat here too Marlene ! awful. Stay inside near the fan/air con. Whew !

Hope everyone survived the day ok.

chrissy
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

November 29, 2012
1:18 AM

Post #9345170

Hot here man, even in Tazzie,.,.,.,.,.,.,
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

November 29, 2012
1:33 AM

Post #9345175

Hi everyone. 45C here today and then we got some wind and then an almighty thunderstorm with a few spots of rain but a lot of noise. It has now dropped to 32C but the breeze is still quite warm. Some of the buds that were nearly out on RFP have fried but still have enough for a good show as long as it stays a bit cooler. Boy my water bill will be bad if this keeps up. Time to start the pump up and use some of the rainwater I think. I noticed that a few of my bromeliads have a bit of burn. The only thing that I can do at the moment is move them around a bit so that the bigger ones will cast a bit of shade onto the smaller ones. I suppose we can all expect to loose some plants with blast furnace weather like that. Merry Christmas Elaine. I hope you're well and enjoying the decorating again this year. Hope all is well with everyone. Catch you tomorrow. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

November 29, 2012
12:30 PM

Post #9345527

Good morning everyone..
After that awful heat we did cool down a lot where I am, but several areas are going to get around 40C+ today...
It hit's a lot harder when it's still Spring...all the lovely new growth gets fried as Colleen said.

Elaine, hello and merry Christmas...perhaps next year you may be able to visit us a bit more often, we miss all of your crafty things...
Chrissy, it's going to be extremely hot up your way...so keep out of the sun...you too Marlene.
TGIF, Anthony...you can rest up tomorrow...as if you would...

Jean, I'm not too fond of this cooking caper, I don't think moon is either...we need you...I wonder if we took up a collection would that hurry them up!!!!!
Hope that there wasn't too much damage to your Brug babies yesterday...

Charleen, Al and moon, hope the weather is being kind to you...have you started your Christmas shopping yet?.

How about an amazingly beautiful Epi instead of a cake...this one never closes, it's 4 days old now..it's huge and gorgeous.

Have a good day.
Dianne

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   

77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 29, 2012
1:48 PM

Post #9345578

Yooohooo... I'm here...
I'm back in circulation...

Talk about being isolated...
One just doesnt realise how much the powers that be now hold us all to ransom with the electronic age..

The phone came back on yesterday morning, but no internet.
Hubby rang to see why it had not come on with the phone and they said they would check and it should be back on straight away.
It was back this morning...oh joy...

Thank you Dianne and Moon for doing the "cooking " and keeping everyone happy...

I will not go into comments on the weeks DG posts. I did have a great read of them all.

Its nice to know you all missed me..

Hello Colleen , glad to see you back again and feeling better.

Happy Christmas Elaine.

Teresa, sounds like you have had an eventful week with Sugar & Copper.

Al. I like the sound of your cooking there, but please keep the snow, although after yesterday, it might feel lovely and cool.
So hot here. I feel it more as I age.

Moon,it does get confusing with the names of food between our two countries.
I always think of your biscuits as our scones.

Anthony, I did enjoy looking at your beautiful liliums. I have one lovely pink Asiatic out.
The others will quickly follow.

Dianne, thank you for looking after the Tea Room with Moon.
I am glad you remembered to feed Charley and friends.

Charleen, I like your cute little creations.
I did miss seeing Charley too.

I had better get off here and let hubby catch up with all his mail now.

I did have plenty of time to be out in the garden but it has been too hot to do much.
I did get at the weeds and also managed a lot of cleaning up of old plants and pots that needed to be moved.

My epis are all starting to flower and the shadehouse looks lovely ..
pic is one corner. I will get more pics later today..
Dianne your epi looks like Gladyce Jones ( she usually lasts well over a week )

Hello to everyone I may not have mentioned.
Thank you all for the kind thoughts.
I did miss you all.

Here is your morning tea treat ...Black Forest Cake..
Take care and stay safe

Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

November 29, 2012
1:53 PM

Post #9345584

Yay Jean welcome back !

You have been missed and worried about. Take your time and read up.
Catch up and have a lovely day.

chrissy
77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 29, 2012
4:36 PM

Post #9345694

A few garden pics ..
The cottage garden full of alstromerias, (white , yellow, red, pink & purple are all in there together )
Love my cotinus at the back.

My new fountain. My Christmas present to myself. I have always wanted a fountain.( sorry about the white in the bowls. There are small LED light and the bubbles were reflecting the light. )
pic was taken at dusk too, so a bit darkish.

My cymbid Sarah Jean 'Ice Cascade'

two of the epis out

Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

November 29, 2012
6:36 PM

Post #9345799

A big welcome back Jean...
Moon and I were getting dishpan hands from all the washing up.

Of course you are right with Gladyce Jones, I bought it from you because my mother's name is Gladys...
This week was the first time it has flowered and the name has worn off...you wrote it on in ink.
It is a most beautiful flower...thank you.

I got a chance to read the posts slowly and I noticed that in your first post on this thread, you mentioned Pelargoniums and Fuschias, I'm so sorry, I forgot about it and I have fuschias and a pretty pel...should I send cuttings now or wait until autumn...or did you end up with enough?

I love your fountain, it will be very pretty at night...
This is my new Rhodie...meet "Australian Sunset"

Dianne.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 29, 2012
7:49 PM

Post #9345860

Dianne, fancy asking me if I want plants now ??
Send , send... please , pretty please...
You know I never have enough...lol

I have the mist system in the roof of the fern house now so all the fuchsias go in there.
I felt like sitting in there under the mist myself , yesterday.

I used to have a lot of pellies here that came with me when I married Hubby.
They have nearly all died over the years so I am now collecting again.

I have a few of the rosebud geraniums too that i will pot cuttings from for selling.

I am going to go and have a cuppa. I have been sitting here long enough.
Trying to catch up on all the mail etc that accumulated while things were out.

Dishpan hands indeed.
I saw all the paper plates in the rubbish bin.
You and Moon were just sitting in the Tea Room with your feet up enjoying a wine or two , I bet...lol
( while the cats away , as they say...)

Jean.

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

November 29, 2012
8:03 PM

Post #9345875

Jean ?-ah yes, I remember who you are now!!!!!!
77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 29, 2012
9:22 PM

Post #9345955

Watch out Anthony... I may just creep down and 'borrow ' all the liliums...lol

Heres the first of mine . Just a plain pink, but still pretty.
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 29, 2012
9:51 PM

Post #9345964

We all hope you've been eating well, we had a great discussion about "biscuits" while you were gone.

Al
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

November 29, 2012
11:33 PM

Post #9345979

what a shame we can't send weather via the internet - it has been very cold the last 2 days & lots of rain.
I didn't get the hail thankfully as my poor tomatoes have been damaged by high winds already.
I have the heaters on & the dogs are on the couch enjoying a peaceful evening in.
Hubby has gone away to pick up his second plane.
This one is to supply parts for BBZ our first plane.
His aviation mates have been giving him a hard time as the registration of the second plane is BRA...
while it was flying it had sponsorship from Bendon dubbed the Bendon Flyer.
Shame it was so badly damaged in the crash a few months back but at least the owner walked away with only minor bumps & bruises.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

November 30, 2012
2:12 AM

Post #9345989

So glad to have you on board again, Jean...The day is not a tearoom, without you,.,.[I was about to send you a letter].,.Your pink lily still looks a million dollars-It is extremely hot here at the moment..32-1/2,.-Anthony

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 30, 2012
6:33 AM

Post #9346105

So happy to see you back at the Tea Room door. We all sorely missed you...and the Critters were a bit confused seeing Dianne and I rather than your smiling face. GRIN Credit goes to Dianne for keeping things on an even keel while you were MIA. We did miss you.

Sounds like you got lots done in the garden...funny how much I get accomplished when the internet is down...GRIN

Hope you all have a lovely day, I would happily send you some of this chilly weather.

Stay cool

Moon
77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 30, 2012
12:36 PM

Post #9346343

Good morning everyone.
Its lovely to be back and see all the happy faces popping in for a cuppa.
Its a beautiful cool morning here after another hot day yesterday.
I must be getting old as I cant take the heat like I used to.
When I think of all those years over in WA up in the hot areas, I wonder how I did it..

The garden is looking very green still as I can throw a bit of water around on pots etc from convenient taps rather than trying to carry buckets around.
Of course the heavy rain during the week helped.
Now if we could only arrange the weather properly...LOL...

Thank you all for the nice comments, too. Its nice to know all my "cooking" etc is appreciated .

Moon, you and Dianne did a great job at keeping everyone contented.

Anthony, I love seeing your liliums. Its sad that I now have only the Asiatics but at least they thrive extremely well in our weird weather.
I was very annoyed at losing all the others, but have told myself to enjoy what I have.
I may try for a few new colors in the Asiatics later.

Teresa, I missed hearing about the antics of Sugar and Copper. I am glad to hear she is becoming a slightly more sedate lady most of the time.

Dianne, pat Tilly for me too. I love hearing about all the furry ( and feathered ) friends.
Hope you are surviving the heat too.
At least you can always jump in the ocean to cool off.

Charleen, Charley got a big hug from me this morning.
He was waiting patiently at the door for his cookies.
Abigail left me an egg too.
I gave Charley a little bag which fits over his back. He can now carry cookies home to his mates.

Hello Colleen. Nice to see you feeling much better, illness can really drain you of all energy.
Stay out of the sun if you can and get lots of rest.
Hope the boys are okay .

Hello to everyone else coming in for a cuppa.
I had better start thinking of Christmas goodies now.

Hers something yummy for morning tea...Date and Carrot Loaf...

Enjoy your day and stay safe

Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

November 30, 2012
1:34 PM

Post #9346368

Light drizzle right now :)
Hope the weather people are wrong about the 40C's.
Have a lovely day/evening everyone ...stay cool/warm which ever is applicable
✿(ྀ✿
.ི██Ɔ

chrissy

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 30, 2012
4:34 PM

Post #9346503

Charley told Annabelle about the little bundle on his back and she started laughing. She said "you mean, you are a pack mule?" He did the man thing, he just shook his head. He just doesn't understand girl donkeys, Much like men who don't understand us ladies...
Charley was so proud of his new cookie carrier. Til he leaned over to get a drink of cool flowing water. He felt Abigail up there "hitching" a ride.
Welcome back, Jean We have all missed you greatly...

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

November 30, 2012
5:02 PM

Post #9346518

Jean, I think you have LA's there as well
77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 30, 2012
6:59 PM

Post #9346568

Charleen. I'm glad you can get a laugh from Charleys antics. He is a fun fellow.
Lov eyour flowers.

Anthony, the only liliums I have growing now are those in the ground. All Asiatics. They are the only ones not eaten by the B**** rats & mice .
I thought I was doing a good thing in taking them all out of the pots and storing in the shed...
Didnt work, did it ??
Now all my bulbs will stay in the ground.
Jean.

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

November 30, 2012
8:06 PM

Post #9346608

mice pies again!!
77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 30, 2012
8:54 PM

Post #9346638

I dont know about mice pies, but I was ready to make mince out of the little devils...lol
Jean.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

December 1, 2012
12:20 AM

Post #9346666

Sugar has been off colour lately, the other day she just got on the couch with me & stayed there.
I was a bit worried about her but tonight she is in fine form trying to get into the kitchen with Copper aiding & abetting her attempts.
Fortunately we have dog club in the morning & she can run off her excess energy there.

My garden needs some work - weeds are doing well
Hopefully it will stay fine tomorrow so I can get out & tidy up.
The dogs have asked if they can have a couple of those mice pies...
it just wouldn't be Christmouse without them.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

December 1, 2012
1:42 AM

Post #9346675

Laughing to myself!
77sunset
Merino
Australia

December 1, 2012
3:00 AM

Post #9346690

Darn, Teresa, now I will have to make a Chistmouse Cake for everyone, to go with the mice pies...
What about some Lemmingade to drink as well...

Stop me , I've got Christmouse fever..

LOL

Jean.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

December 1, 2012
7:41 AM

Post #9346829

And maybe a nice fruitbat cake to go along...it is fun having you back Jean
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 1, 2012
8:53 AM

Post #9346870

and Stay away from the mouseltoe as well...

Al

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

December 1, 2012
9:08 AM

Post #9346882

I agree...GRIN
77sunset
Merino
Australia

December 1, 2012
1:47 PM

Post #9347030

Good morning everyone.
Very nippy here this morning after a cool night with a little welcome rain again.

It seems we are all catching mad season fever...lol

Mousletoe indeed.
Now I'll be looking at trees for mice hanging in them.

I have been out this morning getting pics of the epis flowering. The perfume from those with any is wafting around mixed with the lovely brug scent of my ButterBomb flowers.
One smells all sorts of nice scents walking around the garden.
Often hard to tell where the scent is coming from. Small plants like alyssum are quite strong when massed together.
Jasmine is nearly done and is starting her mad growing spurt again. I will casing trailers all over the place for the rest of the summer.
She is very sneaky in sending her trailers creeping along the ground , hiding under other plants , then suddenly popping up in the middle of one.
I have been trying to encourage her to go up the old dead tree and make a lovely show, but so far she is reluctant to do so. Probably scared of heights...lol

I hope you are all enjoying the lead up to Christmouse...
Hubby keeps asking what I want for myself as I already bought him a very nice battery powered drill.
He wanted a new one for ages so now he has it.
I cant decide what I want. I need new secateurs but cant find any I like.
I also would like some new kitchen knives. You know the sort. Ones that stay nice and sharp and are easy to use..
I havent seen any good ones locally.
All the places that sell knives ( Target, & supermarkets) around my area stock the same sort.
I may look in Mt Gambier next week.
Then again , I could ask for a giant box of chocolates...yummmmm...

Better move myself from here and go do something productive outside.
Maybe plant out the tomatoes while we have a few cooler days.
The ones I have in the planter bags have survived the heat so far.

I hope you are all looking forward to the Christmouse season with lots of goodies, including Moons fruitbat cake . Be careful under the mousletoe as Al says.

Here are a few more mice pies to nibble on for morning tea. ...Watch out for the whiskers...lol

Happy gardening
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset      

77sunset
Merino
Australia

December 1, 2012
1:49 PM

Post #9347032

Good morning everyone.
Very nippy here this morning after a cool night with a little welcome rain again.

It seems we are all catching mad season fever...lol

Mousletoe indeed.
Now I'll be looking at trees for mice hanging in them.

I have been out this morning getting pics of the epis flowering. The perfume from them is wafting around mixed with the lovely brug scent of my ButterBomb flowers.
One smells all sorts of nice scents walking around the garden.
Often hard to tell where the scent is coming from. Small plants like alyssum are quite strong when massed together.
Jasmine is nearly done and is starting her mad growing spurt again. I will chasing trailers all over the place for the rest of the summer.
She is very sneaky in sending her trailers creeping along the ground , hiding under other plants , then suddenly popping up in the middle of one.
I have been trying to encourage her to go up the old dead tree and make a lovely show, but so far she is reluctant to do so. Probably scared of heights...lol

I hope you are all enjoying the lead up to Christmouse...
Hubby keeps asking what I want for myself as I already bought him a very nice battery powered drill.
He wanted a new one for ages so now he has it.
I cant decide what I want. I need new secateurs but cant find any I like.
I also would like some new kitchen knives. You know the sort. Ones that stay nice and sharp and are easy to use..
I havent seen any good ones locally.
All the places that sell knives ( Target, & supermarkets) around my area stock the same sort.
I may look in Mt Gambier next week.
Then again , I could ask for a giant box of chocolates...yummmmm...

Better move myself from here and go do something productive outside.
Maybe plant out the tomatoes while we have a few cooler days.
The ones I have in the planter bags have survived the heat so far.

I hope you are all looking forward to the Christmouse season with lots of goodies, including Moons fruitbat cake . Be careful under the mousletoe as Al says.

Here are a few more mice pies to nibble on for morning tea. ...Watch out for the whiskers...lol

Happy gardening
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

December 1, 2012
3:00 PM

Post #9347076

Even b'RAT' wurst and saurk'RAT'.,.-with a little Hom'MICE'-yes its getting well ridden..good morning to all.. the fires are under control now, a very smoky 'coughy'-not coffee- day,yesterday!..The wind wrecked about $500 worth of lilies..'thems the breaks'-
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

December 1, 2012
4:26 PM

Post #9347137

ouch - Al I think for those jokes you need some time in a punitentiary ...

it is hot here today, very little wind thank goodness - last night it was bad but so far my lilies are coping.
Such a shame you lost so many valuable ones Al!

Hubby is feeling like a fool - he sent money via Pay Pal to a chap in the UK & was supposed to be getting Auster parts.
The parts never arrived, the chap said it took longer from the UK... then he said the courier company were late, then that they had lost the parts...
by the time Baz found out this guy is well known for rip offs it was too late to cancel the payment so we are down around $700.00.
Our friend & hangar buddy escaped a similar fate but he was looking at investing several thousand dollars as well as sending some his excess spares.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

December 1, 2012
6:16 PM

Post #9347226

I see the Chrismouse Spirit is spreading ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQAKqQGmdK8

Well in most places anyway, Teresa I hope you will kick and scream about this rip off artist !
Tell it to the World ! The @#$%^&**.
Jump all over Paypal and tell overyone who did this to you unless you get satisfaction.

Anthony wow sorry to hear about your loss,that is crushing.

To our friends over the pond it got up to 107F here where I am yesterday arvo after the clouds burnt off,
and it is only the first day of Summer. So I might give Mice Pies a miss and have something cold.

Better go ...hubby wants lunch ! :-) we are having tuna and potato salad.I use Greek yoghurt instead of sour cream, due to sour cream making straight for the hips these days ...oh for the days when it didn't.

chrissy
77sunset
Merino
Australia

December 2, 2012
12:41 PM

Post #9347815

Good morning everyone.
Its time we moved , my legs get tired walking too far.

We have moved to here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1289671/

I clicked too soon when posting it so there is no pretty pic on the new thread.
Must have been under the influence of Christmouse madness...lol

I have no idea as to how to add one now so it will be a bare wall until the next one.

Enjoy your day and this Apple Shortcake..
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Australian and New Zealand Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the new Australian Gardening forum Terry 28 Oct 21, 2009 10:20 AM
Where are you in AU . holty 219 Aug 22, 2014 8:21 PM
soap tree aka 'Sapindus Mukorossis' is it available in aus'? gardenlen 15 Jul 18, 2013 2:22 AM
bromeliad-blanchetiana ? boofhead 7 Dec 30, 2011 7:42 PM
What you don`t want to see in your garden. ginger749 93 Sep 5, 2007 9:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America