Photo by Melody

Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening: Senna mexicana var. chapmanii (aka Bahama Senna, etc.)

Communities > Forums > Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Hummingbird and Butterfly GardeningReplies: 4, Views: 62
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

vitrsna

vitrsna
Colima
Mexico
(Zone 11)

November 1, 2012
3:48 PM

Post #9322210

Has anyone had experience with growing this host plant in a container? Initially, I thought to put it in the ground but i have read that the plant attracts ants that attack the Sulphur caterpillars and so i'm thinking that i could control the ants better if the plant were in a container. Or possibly you have grown this plant and ants have not been a problem?

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 27, 2012
9:45 AM

Post #9343784

No experience with that plant here in my area, but it shows to be "threatened" in Florida. Maybe you can sow some of the seeds outdoor this fall and try to propagate the plant there. I would suggest not to put anything on the plant for ants because it will kill the Sulphur butterfly larva and adults. Ants are usually attracted to plants for the sweetness where aphids are. I haven't read up on this plant, hope they don't harm the sulphurs.

vitrsna

vitrsna
Colima
Mexico
(Zone 11)

November 27, 2012
1:07 PM

Post #9343920

Thanks Sheila...i assume the plant is native to Mexico and probably grows wild all over the place here :-D. It is an outdoor plant and of course i'll grow it outdoors but in a container. I do not use anything harmful to insects in my garden because it is a butterfly garden. When plants are in a container, i can see the ants running up and down the container to get to the plant and so i can kill them on the container, not on the plant, by spraying them with a little soapy water or hand squishing. I had a Senna alata planted in the ground that was enormous (well about 10' x 10') and it was very hard to control the ants. The Sennas seem to have little "sweet" sacks at the base of the leaves that attract the ants. I don't know if this is true of all Sennas. I never saw aphids on the plant. But the ants (and parasitic wasps) are known to eat the Sulphur eggs and small caterpillars (and sometimes the big ones). What i'm aiming for is that the ants don't eat them all. This is why i'm getting a smaller Senna that can hopefully be container grown. At any rate, it doesn't look like anyone has experience with this species of Senna so i'll experiment with it and maybe i can increase the Sulphur success rate. In the meantime, here is a photo of one of the few survivors from the S. alata.

Thumbnail by vitrsna
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 30, 2012
5:55 AM

Post #9346077

Nice! Looks like an Orange-barred Sulphur maybe? I don't see many of those here.

vitrsna

vitrsna
Colima
Mexico
(Zone 11)

November 30, 2012
12:24 PM

Post #9346331

Yes, i think it is an orange-barred sulphur male. The range appears to be all throughout Mexico but i don't know how abundant they are. Here is a photo of the orange showing on the outer wings before they were fully extended.

Thumbnail by vitrsna
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
save the butterflies!!!!!! eyesoftexas 1 Mar 19, 2010 10:18 PM
Gulf Frittilary Caterpillar busy_bee_or 8 Sep 21, 2007 6:11 PM
University of Florida butterfly exhibit Night_Bloom 9 Apr 12, 2007 9:24 PM
What am I? konkreteblond 26 Jul 1, 2007 10:51 PM
What are these on my milkweed? margaran 31 May 1, 2009 7:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America