Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Texas Gardening: Dont forget to vote!

Communities > Forums > Texas Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Texas GardeningReplies: 30, Views: 192
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 2, 2012
11:37 AM

Post #9322849

The presidential election is very very close this year so every vote counts. Yours could be the tie breaker so please go vote.

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 2, 2012
12:58 PM

Post #9322906

We voted last Sunday.

morganc

morganc
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 2, 2012
8:06 PM

Post #9323266

I voted on Wednesday.

patrob

patrob
Goldthwaite, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 2, 2012
8:11 PM

Post #9323268

lol Wish I could vote in Ohio.
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 2, 2012
9:09 PM

Post #9323301

Thank you all for voting!
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 3, 2012
4:14 AM

Post #9323387

We voted the first day of early voting and had to stand in line. Unheard of in our small rural area, yet there have been lines all the way through.

By the middle of this week, our county and the neighboring counties were in excess of 25% of the registered voters having cast their vote. Amazing!

A friend is a worker at the polls on election day and she says she will be bored! lol

morganc

morganc
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 3, 2012
7:24 AM

Post #9323486

I'm waiting for the purple ink finger...LOL
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 3, 2012
1:52 PM

Post #9323739

That would be too cool, wouldn't it?

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 4, 2012
6:14 AM

Post #9324209

Not voting this election- not by choice- had no way to register and no clue where I will be, and it let's me have to standby the side, I did vote last presidential - but only in the runoffs, at least some of the drivers out here get to make it home for elections. We need a definite change from where we are going- I don't know if anyone can do it...

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 4, 2012
6:33 AM

Post #9324230

Kitt, here you go! http://votetexas.gov/register-to-vote/

We (Mark & I) voted a week ago this past Thursday.

Don't forget to vote in the DG Photo contest, too!

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 4, 2012
7:30 AM

Post #9324276

k, registered since 95- definitely nowhere close to my home tho...
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 4, 2012
6:05 PM

Post #9324698

You can vote a provisional ballot as long as you are registered somewhere in Texas. The ballot will only be counted if the election ;is very close and it justifies the trouble to research you to see if you are actually registered. Ask for a provisional ballot. Early voting is over but during early voting, you dont need to vote in your precinct. You can vote in any precinct if you have your voter registration card. It has a number on it that is unique to you.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 4, 2012
6:27 PM

Post #9324733

Bless you, rules must be a bit diff than I remember- will have to study this to keep it in my memory...

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

November 6, 2012
7:39 AM

Post #9325976

I voted Friday at 6:30 p.m. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO glad I did!

Not watching any results today. Heart can't take it. Besides, with all the computer snafus in Florida, and the situation in New York and New Jersey, they're predicting they won't be able to tally all the votes until maybe 10 days after today...

I'll know who won when I read the front page, that day.

This is certainly a cliff-hanger, if ever there was one.
TexasTatum
Celina, TX
(Zone 7b)

November 6, 2012
8:24 AM

Post #9326043

Voted early! The wait is killing me!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 6, 2012
2:56 PM

Post #9326360

I voted! First time in Texas. In MA you don't have those little mail thingies; I almost threw it away when it came. I'm glad I tucked it in my wallet just in case! Do they really think Texas will be close, though?

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 6, 2012
4:58 PM

Post #9326475

Drowning in horror voting stories- dreaming I see a pair of goats horns running a steamroller tidal wave over America. Please why in the world have we started behaving like a 3rd world country! Am going dormant til this settles down, silence on my radio, cb, and covering my ears! Til Spring.
perkoschilefarm
Ben Wheeler, TX

November 6, 2012
9:06 PM

Post #9326606

O wins by landslide which is no surprise to me as America as a whole goes for the whim instead of God.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 7, 2012
7:45 AM

Post #9326869

I went to vote after work. My little voting precinct was in the dark way out in the country. One little dim porch light on above the front door and all the vapor lights out in the small parking lot turned off. I went in anyway as I had a big honkin' flashlight with me and thought I would smack someone with it if they jumped me. Turns out I was in the right place (for me). Much confusion inside but I did get to vote so I felt better about the whole pitch-dark-parkinglot-on-a-pitch-dark-country-backroad thing. I guess you have to be from here to know where to vote here. Couldn't fool me, though! Hahahaha! =))

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 7, 2012
8:03 AM

Post #9326883

Gosh, Terri, that doesn't sound ... encouraging. I mean if you were me, and had just moved here, and didn't know where to go or what to do. I'm glad you were able to vote.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 7, 2012
8:44 AM

Post #9326929

LOL! I'm really not sure what is going on. There were people in there who got turned away because they were at the wrong precinct, etc. The first time I voted here in this county I drove all over the county trying to find where to vote. I thought it was just me but there were complaints in the newspaper both in this county and in two other county newspapers regarding just this problem here in the county. Newcomers just don't know where to vote! But I am determined. I have never missed a chance to cast my vote since I was 18. No matter where I have moved I have turned out to vote. I just look at it as if this were a mystery and I have to solve it in order to vote. I'm thinking of dowloading a James Bond sound track for the next adventure in finding my correct voting venue!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 7, 2012
9:53 AM

Post #9326977

That's a good technique! My husband didn't vote because he forgot to apply for an absentee ballot in MA -- I'm sure if I had magically made one available to him he would have signed it and sent it in. Mt 18 yo lives in TX but is registered in MA; same deal with her and the absentee ballot. My 22 yo moved from AZ to MA this year. She is only registered because she lost her license and had to go through a horrible process to get it back. when she got her license in MA, she checked the box "yes" I want to register. And me, my car registration had expired in MA and the MA mechanic said I was going to need a new plate. So I HAD to register my car when I got here. And they said "do you want to register to vote" and I said "you betcha!" If I were still registered in MA, I would have gotten an absentee ballot, and one for DH and DD as well!!!
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 7, 2012
10:19 AM

Post #9327002

Thanks to all of you who voted no matter the obstacles. I started this thread to remind people to vote. Now I would like to appeal to all of you to do what you can to bridge the divide between us and demand your reps in congress WORK to get things done that need doing. We face many challenges and gridlock wont solve them and as the vote showed, the country is polarized to the extreme...50-50 Lets put pressure on our reps to negotiate like in the old days and solve the country's problems. Can they put us first instead of party? Let's ask them with our letters and phone calls to their offices and in their town hall meetings to solve out problems. Im going to reach across that aisle to the people I know of the opposite party and see if we can work together to get our reps to WORK for us. Will you do the same? Get to know the "other" and try to understand them and have them understand you. If we cant do it without all the monetary rewards that reps get, how can we expect them to do it when they are rewarded by special interests with lots of money. If gridlock is not broken, we are in a lot of trouble as a country.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

November 7, 2012
12:25 PM

Post #9327118

"Hear, Hear!" "Well said," Steadycam3!!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 7, 2012
3:21 PM

Post #9327254

Yes, very good point.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 7, 2012
8:24 PM

Post #9327530

Very well said, Marty!

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 8, 2012
5:59 AM

Post #9327718

Reps need to mend fences, I personally wish we had a way to stop the corruption in the electoral college that doesn't represent the people

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 8, 2012
5:36 PM

Post #9328344

Kitt, how about just stop the corruption in politics in general??

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 9, 2012
7:56 AM

Post #9328770

hmmm you think it will catch on?

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 9, 2012
2:15 PM

Post #9329100

asking too much, even in Texas we know our politicians are crooked, BUT, the point is, are they good enuff at it to get what WE want and come out smelling like a rose. This isn't even close to attempting to represent US anymore... I see so many BAD changes coming- and I am not safe in one city, but seeing the whole USA and I know it is going to sneak up and slap a lot of folks. Sad the changes that we are going to be told to swallow. Enuff of me. am unwatching this one, depressed way too much if not just flat dumfounded at the asinine stuff I hear radio stations getting callins over.

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 9, 2012
2:44 PM

Post #9329126

Hello everyone, let us remember that we are not supposed to discus politics on this site.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Texas Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
who grows peonies in houston area? vossner 20 Jun 18, 2012 7:58 PM
Texas Invasives List PvillePlanter 18 Mar 14, 2014 5:34 PM
Anyone Up For A Chat? dstartz 29 Jun 30, 2007 5:44 PM
DGrs in SW houston vossner 5 Dec 29, 2013 2:55 PM
Mock Orange in a big pot? mkjones 21 Aug 15, 2011 1:29 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America