Photo by Melody

Central Midwest Gardening: Nov. 2012 - Holidays are near and Fall leaves are here!

Communities > Forums > Central Midwest Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Central Midwest GardeningReplies: 90, Views: 488
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 2, 2012
1:37 PM

Post #9322937

In my case, it is nearly all Pin Oak leaves. Hehe.. yes just the word "Taco" is deceptive, sorry Sally, it's not a very common tree at all. I don't think many people are aware of that tree even.
Guy Sternberg selected it not only for it's unique growing situation there but it has some interesting Fall colors that it's 2 contributing trees, the Bur and the White Oak don't have.
It has a combination of the 2 colors in the Fall, it's like the Bur's unspectacular brown mixed with the White's spectacular purplish/red Fall leaves. And I believe, it was unlike those other two in that it was a faster growing tree, unusual for a member of the White Oak family. I wasn't involved in it's discovery and selection, I only remember a few things about it that I was told, it's an interesting tree.

I don't know that I'll get a flu shot, I may go the season with my fingers crossed this year.

Haha! Till you quit smoking! I used to smoke too, in my early twenties, well, 18-28 or so, actually in that period I had quit for 2 and a1/2 years then started back up unfortunately. I haven't had one cigarette since Feb. 95', it is hard to quit smoking, I tried hundreds of times before I actually did it, but boy I felt better afterwards. Cold turkey and willpower is the only way.

Wow, 7 quarts of broth, that's a bunch, maybe you could have it with your Thanksgiving dinner, it sounds good.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf   Thumbnail by shortleaf
Click an image for an enlarged view.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 2, 2012
1:46 PM

Post #9322942

THANKSGIVING!!!EATS!!! OH YEAH!!!^_^ ^_^ ^_^
And if I tried with effort I could almost make that sound intelligent, maybe!??lol

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

November 2, 2012
3:48 PM

Post #9323022

I passed my 30 years no smoking on August 13, 2012, 7:30 PM.
I had smoked for 23 years, up to 3 packs a day. When I decided to quit my kids were after me to quit & then cigarettes were going up to $7 a carton. So I quit cold turkey that day!

I turned 69 the other day. I surely think if I wouldn't have quit smoking I would have never made it.

We are finishing the inside of our house we started on 3 years ago.
Here is the Hickory hardwood floor in my office. Door & window trim is new., too.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens   Thumbnail by CountryGardens   Thumbnail by CountryGardens      

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 2, 2012
4:53 PM

Post #9323060

Love those floors!! We put down prefinished oak a few months ago. I love it! I would have preferred to finish it here so it would be more durable but as small as our house is it just wasn't pratical. No place to move furniture for that!! lol. You always do excellent work Bernie!!

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 2, 2012
7:33 PM

Post #9323225

Yes, really nice hardwood floors there, door and trim Bernie. I've seen them do that diy on tv, all the sanding on the floor, applying stain to the floor with a mop, polyurethane.. whew, I am exhausted just thinking about it! But, one can really save a lot of money doing that stuff themselves, very rewarding feeling I bet.

Yes, Thanksgiving, lots of food!

This Mezoo from Pepper has taken off already, that plant is very reliable to grow as a cutting! Here it is in a hanging basket, I guess they think it's time to get all thick and stuff, I have four of them in hanging planters! -

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Click the image for an enlarged view.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 3, 2012
2:55 AM

Post #9323369

42//53/32
Partly to mostly cloudy. Winds ENE 5 - 10 mph

Thanks for the thread Will!
That is a pretty cool tree!
I would have never believed you were a smoker. Im glad you were able to quit for good. I feel great. I smoked a lot longer.
I had an acorn sprout and I did pot it up, but it didn't do well and slowly died. I think the tap root needed more room. I didn't have a place to put it anyway :o(

Ju,
ROTFL!!! But, that was perfect because that's how Thnksgiving food should be appreciated!!

Bernie,
You are so right. I went over a pck a day but I can't imagine three. A killer habit for sure. And look at the energy you have today!
What a beautiful floor and door, and a very nice room to work in!

Will,
Very nice plant! It's really thick and healthy!

It's a going to be a quiet day here. I've been busy for a few weeks now and need to kick back and do some of my own stuff.

Have a quiet day everyone!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

November 3, 2012
6:43 AM

Post #9323450

I hate to burst everyone's bubble, but the flooring was pre-finished. Tongue & groove. My son did the work. Glued & nailed down. He did all the trim work too. We stained & varnished everything, too.
He is the master around here, I just do the leg work to get things bought, etc.
Want to see more of his work, go to;
www.berniescabinets.com
I did the website.
Bernie

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 3, 2012
9:34 AM

Post #9323591

Oh, well, good work anyway! It looks great prefinished! Somebody had to buy it, haul it and install it! It's still a job well done and a job well done all around is even better!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 3, 2012
10:53 AM

Post #9323653

My laugh for the day. Thanks Bernie!! It still looks good.

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 3, 2012
4:59 PM

Post #9323870

Yes, was a smoker back in the day. Now, if I could just quit drinking the whiskey every day!
I'm just kidding! I have drank maybe once this year!

Your welcome for the thread, maybe someone will do the honors next month.
Here is a bunch of crowded acorns as well! It's a bunch of White Oak acorns that I learned sprouted very soon after getting them in the Fall!
They all perished, I believe the cold got them before I got them buried deeper. I know about not having a place to plant trees! I'd love to start a White Oak tree in a permanent spot, it would make a great legacy tree. In this photo on the left is a Chinkapin Oak and on the right is a Swamp White Oak, I grew both from acorns. I got the Chinkapin Oak acorns from Fleming Park here (Lake Jacomo), and the Swamp White Oak acorns from Powell Gardens Arboretum just East and South of here. I am partial to the Oaks in the White Oak family because they live so much longer, and don't break as easily in storms. Altho, I'd take ANY oaks over Bradford Pears or Silver Maples! These are getting big and their taproots must be pretty long but I don't have a place to plant them and I don't want to throw them away. Their leaves are all curled up because that was this Summer when it was so hot and the leaves fell off then grew back. Behind them on the left is an Eastern White Pine that died over the Summer.

Here is the biggest Oak tree (or any tree), that I've ever seen. It's the Missouri state champion Bur Oak, (which was also the last time I looked a runner-up for the national champion Q. Macrocarpa). It is South of Columbia, Mo. about 60 miles I think, in McBaine in Boone County.

Thanks Sally, the Mezoo is gonna make a great hanging plant someday.

Get this, the post office returned an envelope with a SpiderPlant baby in it and 2 Wondering Jew cuttings in it for insufficient postage. The cuttings were rotten when I got them back and they wanted the extra postage anyway. I wasn't home when she came but my friend gave them the $1.30 and it wasn't even delivered. I opened the envelope out of curiousity what they looked like and they smelled so bad I just put the envelope in the trash.

Thanksgiving is a mere 20 days away, yum! And almost time to power-shop!

I looked over the pics at your website Bernie, those are some real nice cabinets and stuff, good work on the website too.

Don't forget to turn your clocks back tonite!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf   Thumbnail by shortleaf   Thumbnail by shortleaf      

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 4, 2012
5:22 PM

Post #9324652

I actually meant to start it this time but you beat me to it!! LOL. I will try next time. Hopefully some new pics to post also.

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 4, 2012
6:45 PM

Post #9324758

Ok, but no spiders unless they have a white beard and a red hat and coat please!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 4, 2012
7:11 PM

Post #9324788

I'll make sure to figure out how to photoshop so I can do that. lol

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 4, 2012
7:33 PM

Post #9324802

Oh dear..lol

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 5, 2012
1:02 PM

Post #9325484

Isn't this a pretty red/purple Fall color on my Swamp White Oak, (Q. bicolor)?! I need to try to talk my friend (the homeowner) into letting me plant it in her backyard somewhere.
It is just an outstanding tree and I'm thinking it'll live hopefully 400 or 500 years, that's your legacy tree, thanks Powell Gardens!

The Chinkapin Oak right of it hasn't started showing any Fall colors yet, I expect it to be a little less showy. The taproots must be getting a little cramped!
I got my leaf raking on again! Not a big fan of raking wet leaves, but one good thing is they pick up well since they are stuck together!
Will

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 5, 2012
5:27 PM

Post #9325606

I would take it except I'm out of room for trees now. lol. More have to die before I can plant anymore. When we first moved in here we had almost 25 trees on just under an acre. We've lost or taken down quite a few since then. 2 pears, 1 apple, 1 peach, 1 sycamore, 2 elms, 1 maple, 1 juniper (tall and skinny). That's what we have lost or taken down due to disease or bad placement.

I've planted a sugar maple and dogwood to replace the the shade from the trees along the driveway. The sugar maple is further back but will eventually provide shade and the dogwood will in a couple years I think.

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 5, 2012
7:09 PM

Post #9325685

Thanks anyhow! ^_^ I can always get more Swamp White Oak acorns at Powell Gardens, I just have to get there at the right time (around Sept. 24th) to get the acorns, there's trees all along that curvy walk going down the hill. The Chinkapin Oak acorns are easy to get at Lake Jacomo. The reason that I know Sept.24th is I took this dated photo that day, there is one Swamp White Oak in the photo even, there's that curvy walk! - That was the Powell Garden's Fall Plant sale in 2004, my friend bought the glorious Persimmon tree at that for $20, here it is today! -
Where'd that juhur go?!
Will

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 5, 2012
7:25 PM

Post #9325693

The plant sale is now held in the driveway. Makes it easier to load up the cars. lol. I haven't been there for awhile. My schedule is so crazy nowadays its hard to make it there. Funny thing is it's a straight shot from my house. lol

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 6, 2012
11:00 AM

Post #9326133

I'm still around, maybe, not to sure of reality !, planting the ditch lily around the garden to improve the soil the looks of things. Digging here and there and trying to get things done .Bagging pots that aren't sealed or frost proof looking over the garden plans and little plants in grow bags.
Planting and grow light setups things ,things an more things that aren't all that much but seem to take forever to get done lol.
Have some little pow wow coneflowers in my wanna be cold frame, and some hybrid cross daylily,, victoria lace x ed brown... They say ed brown is a good one for increasing ruffled edge blossoms on the hybrids, guess I will find out next year the year after or the year after that ARRGH!!! Why did they invent patience and time?to test and ,or aggravate me is my guess, lol yep,,, they did that just for me!!lol

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 6, 2012
12:25 PM

Post #9326204

Good to see ya, juhur! I just got back from voting. That was the first time I've ever had to wait to vote and I've been voting for 20 years. I saw people waiting in lines on the news but in Sugar Creek, MO.?! It was the first time somebody ever announced, "first time voter!" and she wasn't 18!

Yeah, I remember getting the plants to the car was quite a job there at Powell Gardens, glad to hear they've changed that.

Oh, I too know about patience and time as I usually get plants quite small and need to wait a few years for them to look presentable! But, I've done a bit of waiting and I now have quite a few larger plants (that started out small) that today are doing me proud!

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 6, 2012
1:49 PM

Post #9326291

Now, I'm not sure that that's a Chinkapin Oak, Chinkapin Oak leaves look quite a bit different than the "Chinkapin Oak" seedling I got. It looks like Bur Oak or possibly White Oak, I also used to grow them from acorns alot. But, I thought that was a Chinkapin Oak for sure. Upon looking at it now, it looks very much like Bur Oak, which isn't a bad tree at all. But, it's a super large tree and one that requires lots of space and has virtually no Fall color unless you like brown. I like many other attributes besides Fall colors in trees though. I like the longevity of the Bur Oak, (around 300 years), the size of the Bur Oak. I personally want a historic home someday and it's the ultimate old home tree to have in the front yard. It is known for having great big branches down lower that you could hang a swing bench on. Here's one that I used to live by. - The form of the tree/branches and it's bark is only rivaled by other Oaks in the White Oak family.
Seedling leaves often look different from the mature trees of the same kind, so maybe it's still a Chinkapin Oak. Here's what the Chinkapin's leaves are supposed to look like. - http://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=QUMU Here is Bur Oak (Q. macrocarpa). - http://dendro.cnre.vt.edu/dendrology/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID=72

Thumbnail by shortleaf

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 6, 2012
2:20 PM

Post #9326324

There were or are a few Bur oak forests in southern Indiana and southern Ohio, been a while since I have seen any. They use to grow uphill of the beech trees(another becoming rarer) in the hilly forests .
They are an interesting form to look at when growing in the open pasture or grass land like White Oaks.Of course the red oak is nice too,, someone has one a few blocks away ,delightful form and color! That one is about three times as tall the house it is next to and about halfway or so to maturity, beautiful old tree so far.
OF course as are the ones in your pics!! Now if we could we figure how to be around as long as that from planting them to watching them mature we would have it made?!!! wouldn't we!!!lol
Only now this has me wishing I was a tree! How odd?? Elizabeth!!!LOL
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 6, 2012
6:13 PM

Post #9326506

I voted today too. Busiest I've ever seen it but I didn't have to wait. I live in a town of around 200 people so when I saw over 800 on the machine this morning I had to laugh. Of course that's the whole surrounding area but it's still a good number especially early in the day.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 6, 2012
6:30 PM

Post #9326511

I wasn't purposely being rude in not answering that, i just know I would start a political fight!! We have enough,enough,enough???lol
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 6, 2012
6:41 PM

Post #9326516

That's why I'm not mentioning names or anything like that. lol. I'm just glad it's almost over. Or is over? Close enough. LOL

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 6, 2012
6:45 PM

Post #9326523

I like to walk thru woods that are full of Bur Oak trees. American Beech trees are nice. I always did like the smoothness of their bark and how the trunk is tall. I have never seen a Beech tree, if they grow around here I don't know where. According to Wikipedia, they aren't in Missouri, though they are in IN. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fagus_grandifolia
Though, other sites say it is here, I've never seen it but that doesn't mean it isn't here somewhere! - http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=fagr
I don't know if Wikipedia is an authority on trees! I like Wikipedia and all but I'm inclined to go with usda.gov on this!

I like the Red Oak family too, just not as much! lol Pin Oak (a Red Oak tree) has got to be one of the most commonly planted residential trees there is.
Red Oaks are a faster growing bunch of trees and the quality of the wood is lower and they only live prolly between one half to one third as long as a White Oak tree, prolly closer to 1/3.
To each his/her own, but give me a White Oak!

Thanks for the compliment juhur, I hope the ones in my pics turn out good someday!

Oh, an open grown old Bur or White Oak tree is the ultimate Sleepy Hollow tree too! They are just more apt in general to be a nice roundness and more inclined to live longer and be less stressed out if not competing with other forest trees, grown in the open. Just imagine this great big old Bur Oak tree (in Independence, Mo.) without leaves on it and a headless horseman coming out of the trunk! -

Yeah, if one was a tree they wouldn't have to worry quite as much about age!

Boy, politics is the excitement of the hour! Oh, I agree too about politics, I'm not saying anything one way or the other or mentioning names..lol

Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 6, 2012
7:55 PM

Post #9326575

The Red Oaks I am talking about are not Pin Oak, Pin oaks are nice medium fast growers with their pyramidal form ,but they lose their branches way to easily.(as do many over planted trees)
Near the house my red plum is a favorite,pretty in spring,and scented all season, not much at making with the red plums though,it was a wrong choice for that here .lol (mistake)
Native Red Oaks have the traditional recognized Oak form,nothing like the Pin Oaks have, Okay the beech tree ,(and there is a big old rare one in a park not far from here) smooth gray bark (really smooth like paper),and real straight upright growth pattern with large oak like branches, Shallow root system ,needs a lot of cover and mulch ,defining it as a forest area only tree, I believe I had read where it takes 800 yards of constantly moist soil for a beech tree to mature to it's maximum growth.
Where you are that would be woodsy lowlands ,lots of lowlands where you are but not that many that are woodsy anymore. same around here also.

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 7, 2012
10:02 AM

Post #9326986

Yeah, the Red Oak tree is nice. There is even a little city in Iowa named "Red Oak". - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Oak,_Iowa I used to pass by that town on 1-29 when I'd go to the Omaha zoo or just up there on my travels. Actually, I like Red Oak better than Pin Oak too. I think the pyramidal form and just more maybe outlined or uniformed look or something makes Pin Oak such a popular tree in people's yards. I like out of the ordinary trees and stuff!

The Purple Leaf Plum? It's an ornamental tree, more known for it's purplish foliage, not the plums! - http://treesandshrubs.about.com/od/commontrees/p/PurpleLeafPlum.htm If that's the same tree some people have referred to it as the "Purple puke tree"!
Some people are kinda biased against trees that aren't green. They're like, "trees are supposed to be green". I don't really agree with that, there is quite a few trees that are nice that aren't green, the Purple Leaf Plum, 'Bloodgood' Maple, 'Forest Pansy' Redbud, that Copper Beech tree, that Tri-colored Beech tree (I forgot the name). I'm sure there's more non-green cultivars and stuff out there that aren't coming to mind right now. I used to go to this one McDonalds to see this Japanese Maple 'Bloodgood' that was just incredible. - I used to grow it from seeds from this tree thinking I'd also have a glorious tree in a pot, then I learned it's a grafted tree.

Thumbnail by shortleaf   Thumbnail by shortleaf   Thumbnail by shortleaf      

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 7, 2012
11:48 AM

Post #9327082

The only large tree I have is the yellow poplar and it 2 yrs old and just past 6 ft this month, next couple of years it will get large, and a Asian pear growing at the end of garden has made about 12 ft now but doesn't really count in this conversation about native trees.

Oh forgot Blue Spruce it is taller than the house now,it was in bad shape after being messed up as a seedling about a decade ago . I trimmed a second main trunk stem (it was growing with two) Will do pics when I get more batteries for the camera (not a green theme)

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 7, 2012
1:37 PM

Post #9327168

Yes, that IS a big tree, the Yellow Poplar or Tuliptree. Actually, it isn't a Poplar like that name says. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liriodendron
It's a neat tree, you also have to have ALOT of space for that tree. It is one of the tallest if not the tallest deciduous tree in North America. I wish I had room for one, it would be a must-have for a big yard or a field. It is an awe-inspiring tree when mature, you think when looking up, "how does a tree get that tall?!". You just can't beat it unless you go to the Pacific Northwest, I will go there someday!

Good job pruning, I have seen several Spruces that were left to grow on their own and they look hideous later. A spruce with two (or more) leaders is ruined unless all but one is cut off.
Blue Spruces grown from seed (or seedlings) I heard have a good chance of reverting to green, some stay blue, but it's a gamble. The only way to get a guaranteed blue one is to buy one of the blue cultivars like 'Fat Albert' or 'Hoopsii'. - http://www.treehelp.com/trees/spruce/spruce-types-colorado.asp

This message was edited Nov 7, 2012 3:41 PM

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 7, 2012
2:13 PM

Post #9327190

The yellow Poplar lets a lot of light in under where it grows , it is host plant for Eastern yellow Swallowtail Butterflies the branches do not do as much damage if they break, (the house ,yes?) Only it does suffer from trunk rot rarely.
Have seen bunches of them as they are as common here as Redbuds an started as wild plants that came up one day I let a few grow ,one I will keep.
They make good fence posts (antiquated info) and their wood still makes beautiful counter tops!!! Yes if I was a dog?lol I have found a favorite!!!!
Oaks ,Beeches, and old Atlantic red or white cedars are still my long time favorites. I don't have the right soil here for cedars or beeches, well a beech might work with some arranging,only you know how that goes!lol?
I have still been working with my Daylily and planted some garlic today, had to wait a while to plant as it was all I had to keep the Vampires and ghouls away during Halloween...(
Fall ground is always too wet and doing things can get muddy,raised beds,, raised beds,, soil improving soil improving and a so on so forth so forth, That use to be a song, i do that once in a while don't I lol Nice fall though, except for the storms in the east ,really nice!!!

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 7, 2012
7:21 PM

Post #9327492

I've heard that too, that Tuliptree is a butterfly magnet, so it's the Eastern yellow Swallowtail eh? Cool, that's good to know. I love to have butterflies around. I'd like to have something besides rotten tomatoes for them to feed on! lol

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 7, 2012
7:41 PM

Post #9327503

I'm going to try
Spicebush for that if I am able also.I imagine where you are you have to look for more southern zone plants for the BF's
All that dry rocky soil makes for a bundle of summer "burn outs" these days,tree cover first.
As said previously rocks are nice to look at ,,but they do get warm

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 7, 2012
7:59 PM

Post #9327518

Not all that southerly here really. It's below Canada that's for sure! If you look at a map, our lines of latitudes are nearly the same, around 40, this area might be one degree less than yours. You can see it at Wikipedia for example - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_Creek,_Missouri

I got a Butterfly Bush from Pepper last year and now it is getting some size, next year it should be getting up there, maybe it'll attract some butterflies.
Hehe! I hope rocks are nice to look at or I'm in big trouble!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 8, 2012
5:52 PM

Post #9328357

I would love some spicebushes here but no good place to put them really. Not unless I go down to the property line and dig a hole in the messy area there and stick a couple in the ground. lol. I have witch hazels finally. Put them in my old chicken coop. Get some size on them then I will start planting ferns and either hostas or some woodland flowers. Stuff that I can let go and not worry about weeding. lol

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 8, 2012
6:19 PM

Post #9328389

That i like what makes Daylily, Coneflower, willow, several as that so nice, you do not have to pay any attention to them and they go and go.
Woodland flowers can be hard to establish ,so I hear,myself I would try a few easy shade flowers to start , that's not advice only me about me,lol They are a quality all their own once established though! very nice...
Well I still have my var. butterfly bush won't know till next year about the cuttings I made though, By then I will be taking cuttings of Jackmanii and Niobe clematis and I have autumn all over because of letting them go to seed.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 8, 2012
7:13 PM

Post #9328427

I am wanting to go as native as possible in this spot. It's in a corner next to the pasture that hasn't been mowed in years and woods. If anything decides to escape to those areas I want it native so it's good for the ecosystem, not bad. I need to improve the soil but I won't. lol.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 8, 2012
7:38 PM

Post #9328443

Kinda like snowflakes,cardinal flowers and Dutchman's breeches things like that , that's the direction your going?
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 8, 2012
7:42 PM

Post #9328447

Yeah, mixed with ferns. I have one dutchman's breeches already but cardinal flowers and I don't get along. I can't keep them alive in sun or shade for anything. lol

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 11, 2012
2:28 PM

Post #9330508

I am pretty sure that I've been duped, my "Chinkapin Oak" is Bur Oak I think! Does anyone else think it is Bur Oak and not Chinkapin Oak?
They still have cheap seedlings at the Missouri Dep't of Conservation seedling sale but they have changed the price structure it appears. Now, instead of usually $8 for 25 seedlings it is 10-40 seedlings at $1 per seedling. Not as cheap as before for smaller orders but the larger quantity customers I'm sure like the new deal. - http://extra.mdc.mo.gov/cgi-bin/mdcdevpub/apps/seedlings/search.cgi?record=all . They kinda are suggesting breaking the law oddly enuff, talking about it is an answer to what tree farms and retail companies have wanted. I always thought it was a violation to re-sell the nursery stock but in the MDC magazine that doesn't sound like the case, they seem to be condoning it. - http://mdc.mo.gov/conmag/2012/11/growth-industry
Maybe I'm just mad because it isn't so cheap anymore for the one or two bundle customer like me.
But, that Spicebush is still for sell there if anybody in Missouri is interested, about 5/6 the way down when you scroll all the seedlings for sell online. It's still a better deal than buying from anywhere else, just not as good as it was..lol - http://extra.mdc.mo.gov/cgi-bin/mdcdevpub/apps/seedlings/search.cgi?record=all . If I'd known that the tree police weren't really coming I'd have possibly been growing their seedlings and selling them for $10 apiece or something! I kinda feel like I've been discriminated against in favor of the big customer.

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 13, 2012
12:35 PM

Post #9332231

Has anybody seen the photography entries? There are some incredible shots and scenes there. My favorite was probably the Personal or Private Landscaping and Gardens one.
Boy, some of those really seemingly require a high-end camera, the insects and other closeups especially..lol, maybe I'm just jealous, those are some incredible shots! Sorry if missed anybody that I knew to congratulate, I didn't see anyone from here, there is so many entries. I bet people had some tough decisions on who to pick, I thought many of the entries coulda took first. -
http://davesgarden.com/contest/2012-photo-contest/index.php scroll down there.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 13, 2012
1:05 PM

Post #9332267

I was awestruck myself, something beyond ,some of those definitely are!!!
This was one of the few times I was to confused to vote, my concentration goes once in a while ,and that there is relaxing and pretty enough to do that anyway!
Incredible camera work!!!, a little experience ,practice, and talent with a good quality camera goes forever there!
Wonderful contest this time ,maybe some more so than usual ,Fantastic!!!!

Etc , There was ground hog eating leaves in my backyard this afternoon, I thought you might like hearing that.. It was particularly fond of hollyhock leaves...or so it seems.

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 13, 2012
2:12 PM

Post #9332309

I had to look thru the history of Firefox to find out what I voted for, I couldn't remember! Maybe I don't know how but there is no record of what one voted for, to see if one's vote helped get number one for somebody. I voted for this Sago Palm. - http://davesgarden.com/contest/2012-photo-contest/image.php?rid=25269&catid=436 It didn't win, but it's a neat photo anyway.
Oh, they like Hollyhock leaves eh? There are still some of those back there for them to eat!
Will

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 13, 2012
3:21 PM

Post #9332364

Like the palm, tough competition though ,Yes hollyhocks and broad leaf grasses, This one had pretty fur ,it was blonde(set up for joke?) about the size of full grown Badger .
Too cold for the gardening, 30's and sunny earlier, just plain old cold now.

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 13, 2012

Post #9332569

Haha, I'm not touching blonde jokes! Yes, quite cold anymore here too. There is a little ice on everything in the mornings, the birdbath had a big chunk of ice in it at 8:30 this morning, but I just left it, it's still water I suppose and my garden hose is put up for the Winter!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 13, 2012
8:09 PM

Post #9332586

I know my garden tools(except the shovels) are put up and away for this year. I was going to ask pepper about the cardinal flowers only all mine "cooked out" this year
This season, now past, I won't miss as far as my plants , this was miserable year for my plantings! Last year or before a bunch drowned, this year was plant and see em bake!!!
I had never had a full size tomato plant die before this year,and I have been growing them since 1973 fairly regularly .
I am looking forward to better times next season , and hopes to many for the same, lots of misery to go around this year.
More drama than I have seen in decades!
Well stay dry and warm we will see ya, or talk more later.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 14, 2012
5:54 PM

Post #9333406

Cardinal plants hate me. I'm learning to hate growing them. lol.

I hope next year isn't as bad as this year. But have a feeling it will be. :~(

Will, you can't avoid not touching blonde jokes forever! lol

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 14, 2012
6:21 PM

Post #9333435

Actually, I don't have any blonde jokes, I never liked blonde jokes! Blonde haired people are like everyone else, the only difference is about half of blonde headed people aren't really blonde!
I'll stay with my current salt and pepper color! I remember in high school, I tried to lighten my hair, right before the school photos came out. Remember Sun-In? That was a pathetic picture in the 11th grade, my hair was orange!

I hope this coming summer isn't like this one, but I learned something this year, water your valuable plants even if you think their established! Unfortunately, a nice Weeping dissected Japanese Maple might not be coming back, I'll be holding my breath when it's time for it to get leaves in the spring, it looks dead now. My friend, the homeowner, will not be happy if it's really dead,
she had it planted in 2007 and it was $150 then.

Pepper had sent me a Cardinal plant and it too has succumbed to something I do believe.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 14, 2012
7:40 PM

Post #9333506

I water what I really want to keep. If it's really hardy like coneflowers and salvia then I leave them alone. But my trees, roses and new stuff get watered.

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 19, 2012
1:20 PM

Post #9337316

Oh, I feel LOTS better now! lol

Our old computer pooped out all of the sudden, about 4 days ago. I hooked up my friend's old Hewlett Packard Pavilion tower.
This 13 y.o. computer is old and slow, they don't even call them Hewlett Packard anymore, they call them HP.
It's way better than nothing though. I'm glad I have done things to this computer before, without these upgrades, it would be unuseable now. Haha, it came with Windows 98, about 2 years ago I put Windows Xp on it so our XP-only MS Office would work on it.
It also only came with 64 megabytes of ram and many years ago I had put 128 more on it. It was so long ago, I had forgot about it! I went to MyComputer icon-right click>Properties to see if it really only had 64mb because that's not nearly enuff for today.
A sticker on it says "64 megabytes of RAM!"!

On that old pc, I pushed F9 or whatever it is, to do that diagnostic thing and it said the harddrive was failed. That stinks, that computer was only 2 1/2 years old. I only lost photos after October 02, 2012 because I did a manual backup onto my exterrnal harddrive then. But, I hate losing everything since! I'll even be able to get a few photos from DG. I know that sounds strange but one can go thru the forums and right-click and do "save as" and put a copy back on the computer, I think DG may have resized them considerably smaller but it's way better than nothing. I didn't have anything super important since Oct 02, it could have been way worse, family photos or family reunion photos perhaps. If there is anything that I can say about my dilemma, it is get your stuff backed up because stuff DOES break and usually there is no way to recover without spending a few hundred dollars. It is easy to back up stuff. Just buy an external harddrive from Bestbuy and get them copied (not cut) to it. Even external harddrives don't last forever. The external harddrive that I am now relying on is at least twice as old as the harddrive that went out! I bought my external harddrive in 2007, I relied on cd-r before that and this computer doesn't even have that, this pc was had before that became standard. I have quite a precarious deal going now with all my stuff from the beginning of my computing time! I think they say the average lifespan of a harddrive is 2 years.
Well, it could be worse, I only have myself to blame!
Oh well, onward and upward!
Will
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 19, 2012
5:54 PM

Post #9337539

Mine has lasted longer than that!! lol. I bought this computer before I started my current job and that has been almost 4 years. Have had a few hiccups but managed to get them fixed.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 19, 2012
7:19 PM

Post #9337605

YES, been there done that! I am typing on a vista Acer ,But,, I guess ya know how that feels,,lol My dell fried from me trying updates ,etc downloads ... nothing follows!!!As you know what I mean... The dell was to old of a machine for the driver ware updates.I m still ahead of the old realistic sewing machine hardbox in the backroom that weighs about 30pds and is a bit smaller than a dinner plate .
The dell didn't cost much because I got it out of the garbage and put it back together myself ,but the satisfaction with myself (that I knew better)!!! was short lived about that.
Yes,,, todays day,,, and the wrath of electronic helpers is upon us... and over us...and sneaking around us...And dancing on us... and kicking us ,...Well by this time you all get my opinion when it starts in at me Grrrrrrrrrrr.
This would of been fun if I would of had something positive to say...wouldn't it?LOL
OH well back to plants and flowers... They are more fun anyway!!!

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 19, 2012

Post #9337640

Yes, most hard drives seem to last longer than 2 years until it suddenly goes out on you!
Yes Vista does go back a ways! Wow, Realistic?! Wasn't that Radio Shack about 30 years ago?
Oh, a Dell huh? Good job putting it together. That's the maker of this one that just went out on us. I mean this one was the stuff, it had 8gb of RAM, a 750gb harddrive and kablooey, there it went! We might, just might, get a new harddrive to put in it, if it's really less than a hundred dollars. I'd like to try some handi-work on it before it's too small! Right now, I'm more concerned about backing up what I got, it's hanging by a thread! I'd like to get a 1 terabyte Western Digital external harddrive at Bestbuy for $69, I saw it yesterday.

Oh, back to plants and flowers huh?! I don't know about the tropics over there in Indiana but in Missouri there isn't too much plants and flowers going on this time of year! lol Today, I did give a friend a big cutting of Coleus with a little cutting of striped Wondering Jew in it also.

Haha! Just being alive is something positive!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 19, 2012
8:05 PM

Post #9337649

Backing everything up I still have dvd-w dvd-rw from the dell that will not play on this acer it is cd only.. ancient ,antiquated old... yesterday...me too...
Hibiscus, spider plant , coffee tree , , to name a few of a half dozen in the house for winter...lol

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 19, 2012
8:08 PM

Post #9337653

I forgot Realistic 1970'S HUH!!! yes WOW!!!! you were closer though ,,computer was model 1984 ...HEARD THAT BEFORE SOMEPLACE? LOL.

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 19, 2012
8:26 PM

Post #9337678

Wow, 1984, now that's a year I'll never forget! Oh, I was all about Realistic back in the day! My first car speakers were Realistic speakers, they were stolen out of my car about 2 weeks after I bought them, (in 1984)! 1984?! I hope that doesn't date me!
1984 does go back to Ghostbusters and Chevy Citations, I'm glad cars have gotten better! Although, I no longer feather my hair! lol

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 19, 2012
8:41 PM

Post #9337705

I remember all those,l of course at avoidance of age jokes or telling . me.. pre Chevrolet Corvair and Ralph Nader.
At least the controls have not gone to George Orwell as yet ... well maybe.
I loved Ghostbuster's films!!.. Sounds like the Citation commercial . Something like the little heart and I luv my citation ,of course then came the Chevy luv... remember those?I hadn't until typing this ,...truck wasn't it...?

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 19, 2012
10:52 PM

Post #9337763

I remember those commercials too! I remember cars broke down pretty often around that time! Fuel injection didn't start until 1985, so you couldn't really pump the gas pedal on anything after that and really act like you knew what you were doing! I hadn't started smoking yet and I couldn't pump the gas pedal, I had nothing to make me look cool! Well, actually, I didn't have a car past 1975 until 1995 when I had a 1991 convertible Camaro. Hehe.. I musta looked like an idiot for a lot of years pumping the gas pedal because I didn't know about fuel injection until 2000 or so!
Oh, the Chevy Luv! Yeah, I think that was a truck. I remember thinking, "I WON'T have a truck named that!"! Instead, I had to have a 1970 Maverick "Grabber" in 1984 (my first car) that ate up the 2 front tires in 2 days from being so out of alignment! I remember I got pulled over by the police in Independence, (MO.) then for having 11 people in that car. I was let go, I think the policeman felt sorry for me, I think he just wanted to make sure they was all alive or something, people were laying all over everywhere in the seats! One good thing about then was you didn't have to have car insurance, which isn't really a good thing but in high school I couldn't afford it.

I remember George Orwell's 1984, it always was kinda eerie how similar they were!

How's that SpiderPlant doing over there, juhur?
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 20, 2012
6:14 PM

Post #9338556

Snow possible on Tuesday now!! Whoo hoo!!!!

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 20, 2012
7:01 PM

Post #9338646

A week from today? Hehe.. that forecast will change! It is getting alot colder though I see, after Thanksgiving I think they said.
Snow eh? Maybe it'll be a white Christmas too! It doesn't snow around Christmas much, it should snow about 8 inches then.
Haha, I wouldn't be saying that if I had to drive in it!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 20, 2012
7:07 PM

Post #9338653

I have 4 wheel drive. Don't bother me any! I just want as much snow as possible so it can soak into the ground and provide needed moisture.

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 20, 2012
7:16 PM

Post #9338673

Moisture in the ground is nice, altho, a bit too late for about 4 plants out in the yard. Snow doesn't bother me any either, I watch it just fine out the window and on the tv! lol

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 20, 2012
8:14 PM

Post #9338718

Just stopping by to say hi,, 60 the past two days the same the next two.? We have snow forecast for the day after Thanksgiving or next day. It will melt away most likely.
I was using cardboard cards and planting daylily seeds today, not many, a few though.
Digging is easy this time year hear ,all saturates deep , earth turns really easily.
I can see pepper now... 3 or 4 feet of snow , pepper goes goes zoomin past at 40 or 50 mph with the chains on,, my little compact in reverse putterin along... and buries me 2 feet deep , while I am cussin and shakin my fist lol Road RageLOL

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 21, 2012
6:42 AM

Post #9338927

Hi juhur! Oh, I bet pepper does zoom in the snow! I never get involved in road rage myself, road rage is pitiful! Even the other day I beat a car to a parking spot, I kinda felt bad when he pulled up, he was a good sport about it though. He just says, "the bigger vehicle should win!", he was smiling. I just told him "oh, I know, sorry, but I don't have a minute to spare, I'm going in for a job interview", he wished me luck, and I didn't get the job, maybe I shoulda gave him the spot, maybe he was the human resources manager or something!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 21, 2012
12:10 PM

Post #9339171

I have wondered that before when things have happened. Every one seems to be running here and there doing this that for Thanksgiving . I'm chilling out , looking forward to the food.
Happy Thanksgiving...
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 21, 2012
6:26 PM

Post #9339439

I went to a friend's house tonight and hung out there for a few hours. Had to drop some weeds off with another friend and he decided to burn the big pile of brush. At first it just burned the edges and seemed to putter out. Next thing we know there is a fire in the middle and the whole thing takes off. The flames were reaching to the tree tops there for awhile. Burned hot!! Then I got bopped in the head by a hot stick. lol. Luckily it didn't burn or anything.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 21, 2012
6:34 PM

Post #9339445

Hey Ouch!!! Sounds like a hot one!!!lol Sounds like a way to stay warm anyway, you might miss that later on.
Glad your okay ,that is how some very serious injuries and such have happened.

Delivering weed you say?!!!! LOL Just kidding a little. Only what were the weeds really for? For edge burning or compost or something?

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 21, 2012
7:05 PM

Post #9339474

Ack! Bopped in the head by a burning stick?! I'm glad to hear it turned out alright. That reminds me of when I was 16 or 17, my friend's girlfriend's hair caught on fire from all the hairspray in her hair, it went up fast from her lighter. Luckily, I was sitting right behind her in the car and put the fire right out with my hand. I mean it was like whoosh and she was bald in the front! Back in 1984, I believe hairspray was very popular!

Well, the new hard drive is all in and working good so far, 1 whole terabyte of raw computing power, until it quits working anyway! lol My hanging-thread external hard drive is copying all it's files to it as I type.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 21, 2012
7:06 PM

Post #9339478

We just dumped them on the pile to be burned whenever he got around to it. Decided to burn it today. lol. It was still burning when we left and we lit it about 3:30-4pm. lol

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 22, 2012
6:35 PM

Post #9340226

Well, Thanksgiving is over. Now, I'm wondering if I should go to Walmart to get a tv?! Not! lol Next up is Christmas for all you carolers!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 22, 2012

Post #9340232

I have a cousin going there to get one. We tried to talk him into getting an extra one just for us. lol. Only bad thing is it isn't that good of a tv for watching but he needs it for games and it will be perfect for that.

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 22, 2012
6:57 PM

Post #9340247

Yeah, not a bad deal at all if you don't mind the crowd. A 32" tv for $148 is a sweet deal, even a 24" one for $78 is nice, I too have researched them a little and the specs aren't too good for watching details, but you can't beat that price at all, I mean a tv is a tv..lol I am kinda skeptical about how long you had to wait to qualify for those deals though. I know they opened at 8 tonite but was that early enuff to be considered in line between 10 and 11? I was kinda curious if there'd be any workers striking tonite at Walmarts too.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 23, 2012
7:06 PM

Post #9340857

I don't know if any striked locally but I know there was a fight at the Wal Mart near me this morning. I heard a bit about it tonight when helping an uncle move. I stayed home til afternoon then we went out to buy a mattress for my grandma. She then said she wanted to get a bigger mattress so my parents had to go and exchange it for her. That is done though and she is happy... so far. lol

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 23, 2012
7:18 PM

Post #9340868

Thanksgiving day there was a fight on TV at a K-Mart about a TV people had been waiting all night for and there were only like 3 or 4 available. Waiting all night outside to buy a TV? Breaking one over a head on a holiday? Going to jail for Thanksgiving?
Does this justify "homebody itis"? I think I would rather stay home and talk to plants...

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 23, 2012
8:11 PM

Post #9340911

Fighting over a tv deal eh?! What fun! Not! Oh, customer service at Walmart is nuts. I stood in the line at Walmart a few days ago but I only stood there for about 10 seconds then I left.
Somebody absconded off with my cart when I was having my glasses adjusted in the vision center and my sunglasses were in the cart so I visited lost and found briefly, (customer service), but I said heck with it, so I squinted the ride home with no sunglasses. That's the second time that's happened and nobody returns sunglasses, that's probably why they took my cart. Customer service this time of year is a big wait at Walmart, everybody's returning their gifts for cash.
I would rather stay home and talk to cats! lol

Oh, I wanted to correct myself up there, the computer with the harddrive that went out was an HP, not a Dell. I don't know what I was thinking, I had a Dell laptop a few years ago.

I ran the restore program to get to all the files and folders that got "backed up" at F9 or F something when it was booting up before it got to the crashed harddrive part and did nothing. I thought it was just some kind of random backup thing where they backed up what they wanted. I had no say in getting photos or anything. All I knew was it took a long time and I had no idea what it was doing but I was desperate for anything at the time so I just did it. Well, today I ran the program that restores all that stuff that it randomly saved then and I couldn't believe it, an incredible lot was saved, even all the photos between Oct. 02 to now were even in there. Having a big "not backed up scare" can bum you right out, believe you me!
Will

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 23, 2012
8:17 PM

Post #9340915

Te teenager here has an HP also hers crashed two days ago, hers has auto backup and save on the D drive 2 Of course extracting on to dvd and replacing the info was fun!!! and as using your NOT!!!

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 24, 2012

Post #9341623

Sorry to hear that, a crashed computer is no good! Of course, since I use it all the time I was the guilty party that caused it to break! Maybe it'll work unfettered for a couple of years!
When my friend bought the 1 terabyte internal harddrive she also bought a 1 terabyte external harddrive. So, maybe if everything has broke in 2 or 3 years everything will be on the new external harddrive.

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 26, 2012
5:53 PM

Post #9343347

I'd say this bird has the other bird's tail!

Thumbnail by shortleaf

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 26, 2012
6:31 PM

Post #9343375

LOL. Good pic!!

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 26, 2012
6:40 PM

Post #9343384

Thanks, it IS a good pic from somebody! They were called, "Taking photos at just the right moment". Here is another one!

Thumbnail by shortleaf

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 26, 2012
7:13 PM

Post #9343417

OH YEAH SEABIRD!!!! Taking ice cream from a baby lol!!! A pair of female goldfinches in the first pic? Just like a pair of sisters in a b mood(that is for bird mood), uh huh...I hope any reading that believe that!!lol
Good to hear from you all ...

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 26, 2012
8:01 PM

Post #9343461

Go Seagull! Even Seagulls got to eat! You have to be a little weary of shots like that, they could easily be photoshopped but I don't think that one was. You can see the shadows all look right and everything. Hehe, the sharks in the flooded shopping mall by the escalators looked just a little suspicious! - http://www.nowpublic.com/tech-biz/sharks-mall-photo-kuwait-shark-tank-pic-real-2944684.html I googled the icecream-stealing Seagulls! - http://spaceghetto.st/?q=node/7473
Good to see you too!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 26, 2012
8:23 PM

Post #9343479

Escalator Guppies!!!! Having arguments with friends? invite them over to be a shark dinner..he. he,, he...ghoulie...

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 28, 2012
2:39 PM

Post #9344819

Hehe.. yeah, sometimes I'd like to tell my friend here, "go on down the escalator and tell the fishy's that, they'd like you to have the last word"! lol!

I think I see now why she wanted the kitty-tower to be by the window, because it is close to my SpiderPlant! Actually, I don't care, those babies will be back and it gives the cats enjoyment I guess. It's funny to see Rudy the cat all the way up by the ceiling just so she can eat on my plant!

We feed this one big stray cat outside and apparently he has a big friend! I was watching him or her on the monitor on the front porch, him/her is a big long-haired black cat that I'd never before seen, so I just had to get a photo! Hehe.. that's a 1925 McCall's magazine over there, hence the old hair-style!
Will

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 29, 2012
2:52 AM

Post #9345186

Oh my, has it been busy here.

We spent the nice weather putting up Christmas lights. We do the house, both garages and an apple tree. We hang 5 wreathson all the buildings. Only one with no lights. We hang lighted ornaments in the windows and also on the walls. I didn't get to put much out in the house. I don't want to constantly be watching the twins to not touch.

Our neighbor's son usually sells us a wreath from school, but this year she bought it for us for the things we do for her during the summer. They have a pit bull we take care of if she needs to be gone for a week. Luckily, she's a sweet dog.

Today we have the twins and yesterday we Christmas shopped.

Thanksgiving was here, but we only have Sara's family and my Dad. No room for more :o) We'll do Christmas Eve here too.

I managed to find a few more bags for the Salvation Army, LOL! Where is this stuff hiding?!

Have a fabulous day!

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 29, 2012
7:09 PM

Post #9345829

Yes, we are a busy lot!

Wow billyp, that's a lot of Christmas lights, maybe you could take photos.

Boy, it has turned a little warmish, - http://www.kshb.com/subindex/weather/forecast/7_day_forecast , I wonder just how warm it'll get this weekend and Monday?
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 30, 2012
5:28 PM

Post #9346529

70s I bet. Mid 60s today and at times I had my back window open in my truck. I prefer the snow though. lol.

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 30, 2012
6:27 PM

Post #9346558

Wow, what a temperature to bring in December and Christmas, the 70's! Hey pepper, your doing the December forum thing, remember, you said you would. Please don't use a spider photo! Like July of 2010! lol - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/region_lmw/all/40
Oh, you might yet get a day or two of snow!
Will
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 30, 2012
6:44 PM

Post #9346564

LOL! I just may have to use that spider again. It's been 2 years and it's still being talked about. Kinda like that potato picture. lol

shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 30, 2012
7:07 PM

Post #9346571

Oh yes, that potato is much better! At least IT don't bite! Yes, that potato is funny 2 years later, unlike an old spider!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 1, 2012
5:11 PM

Post #9347176

NEW THREAD!!!!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1289557/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Central Midwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
You have to guess what this is - it's in my garden. LOL crystalnurse 181 Sep 22, 2010 10:54 AM
dahlias-How to store allysgram 18 Apr 18, 2007 4:39 PM
Stargazer Lily Bulbs Question cedarnest 19 Jul 3, 2007 8:42 PM
Let's go gardening! Terry 12 Jun 21, 2014 10:28 PM
Speaking of winter MaryinLa 5 Mar 3, 2007 2:28 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America