Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Gardening Questions: watering advice for dwarf bottlebrush bush

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 1, Views: 14
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
feisele
Tucson, AZ

November 2, 2012
2:18 PM

Post #9322970

I'm in USDA zone 8b (Tucson), and just potted a dwarf bottlebrush plant in about 2 cu ft of potting soil. Watered it fully just after planting.
Now wondering how often and how much?

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 3, 2012
7:18 AM

Post #9323478

Once established, callistemon are reasonably drought hardy. It can take up to a year for them to full acclimate in the ground, so I would use the finger test...stick your finger down in the soil and if the soil is dry 2-3 inches down, it is time to water. Soak the plant thoroughly, until water flows freely from the drainage holes...check the plant every 3 or 4 days since it is in a container. remember that full sun and wind tend to dry container plants out rather quickly. After a few checks you will have some idea of how fast the soil dries up and can set up a watering schedule for it. Allow the plant to dry out just a bit between waterings.

http://waterwhendry.blogspot.com/2007/07/meet-little-john-from-down-under.html

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America