Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Carnivorous Plants: Utricularias

Communities > Forums > Carnivorous Plants
bookmark
Forum: Carnivorous PlantsReplies: 5, Views: 48
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

November 2, 2012
6:06 PM

Post #9323150

I have these utricularias, they're rubadubdubbing it in a tub (okay, just my sense of humour). There's two different ones. They appear to have somewhat similar looking flowers, except there's a vast size difference. The smaller one is about 4mm. The larger one is about 15mm.

The smaller I've had for ages. Don't know where it came from but suspect it was with something I got from the floodplains. It's been living happily and multiplying in the bath tub and a few other containers I've placed it in. It flowers almost continuously throughout the year. I've always assumed it was U. gibba.

Thumbnail by tropicbreeze   Thumbnail by tropicbreeze   Thumbnail by tropicbreeze
Click an image for an enlarged view.

tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

November 2, 2012
6:11 PM

Post #9323156

Then along comes the larger one. I saw a bit of Utric on a water plant I bought so dropped it into the bath tub as well. Looked similar to the original but when it flowered was when the difference became apparent. So I researched it and the closest I can come up with is U. australis. Like U. gibba, it's pretty widespread around the world. They're both aquatics and without the flowers look identical to the naked eye.

Thumbnail by tropicbreeze   Thumbnail by tropicbreeze   Thumbnail by tropicbreeze   Thumbnail by tropicbreeze   Thumbnail by tropicbreeze
Click an image for an enlarged view.

tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

November 3, 2012
7:06 AM

Post #9323465

Nice! Haven't grown an Utrics yet.
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

November 4, 2012
4:03 PM

Post #9324599

Thanks Tommy. They are a fascinating plant, and you can get both aquatics and terrestrials. One big advantage of them, I've had the U. gibba in that bathtub for a number of years and there's never been any mosquito larvae in it yet. They're very efficient at trapping the young larvae. People use them as bio-friendly mosquito controllers in greenhouses and the like.
perkoschilefarm
Ben Wheeler, TX

November 6, 2012
1:01 PM

Post #9326252

Here be my U. livida

Thumbnail by perkoschilefarm
Click the image for an enlarged view.

tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

November 6, 2012
11:35 PM

Post #9326631

Those look good, terrestrials from Africa.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Carnivorous Plants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vegitarian Plants BogweedBuck 15 Aug 1, 2008 9:14 AM
You all have got to see this! Equilibrium 21 Oct 15, 2008 5:40 PM
Philcula, bog pot or ground bog for new sarracenia hybrid GSkinner 36 Jan 17, 2010 7:35 AM
Let's make a little bog garden! Pixydish 31 Oct 4, 2007 3:17 AM
A couple of my CPs I have yet to kill off Gerris2 9 Apr 28, 2007 7:52 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America