Garden Projects #12

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Just because its coming on winter there is no need to stop gardening.
We came from here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1276482/

This message was edited Nov 3, 2012 5:18 AM

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I use the "down time" to work on containre combos.
Here are a few
#1 coleusBlack Cherry,Colocasia Aurora,Superbells Grape Punch
#2campanula White Clips,Coleus's Trailing Prince,Trailing Rose,Zinnia
#3Caladium Gingerland,Pale pink Impatiens,Coleus Florida Sun Rose

Thumbnail by ge1836 Thumbnail by ge1836 Thumbnail by ge1836
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

The thread didn't want to panic me by seeing snow ... LOL

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Tee Hee

South Hamilton, MA

planted 5 bright red multi flowered tulips & DH planted the dozen Katharin Hodgkin reticulata irises. The latter are planted on a steep hill & I can't work downhill without falling. Hope those come up. they are marked by a good sized rock so we know where they are. Not as big as Bill's rocks, just big enought to see.

Thomaston, CT

That should look very pretty in the early spring, Iris! Jo, those combos are wonderful.....

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

I'd love to be as organized as Jo with planning for spring. The coleus look beautiful. Iris' reticulatas are also something I'd like to be planting.

Here's a work in progress. Today i removed all the plants I had heeled in last year when I ran out of time to put them right in October 2011, so what's left here is a nearly blank canvas. Ideas? I do have three lovely yellow canna to replant there. Whatever it is gets a good amount of sun and shade at noon, but the roots can't compete with the umbrella pine.

I'm still new to overwintering canna and caladium, so I hope the box of sand in the basement works.

Thumbnail by RosemaryK Thumbnail by RosemaryK Thumbnail by RosemaryK
Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Here's an update on my air conditioner hiding project. Teddy Bear southern magnolia is growing now as a bush that should get pretty wide. My DS dug up all those granite rocks from the other corner of the fence in an afternoon's work last week. I think I'm thinking like Bill that they'd be great in a future water feature.

Thumbnail by RosemaryK Thumbnail by RosemaryK Thumbnail by RosemaryK
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

It occurred to me,if I will be wearing a cast for the optimum months for poppy sowing,I should sow them now.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

They will be cheerful and bright, no doubt, Jo.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

always hoping.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

I think it's always worse to be anticipating a procedure compared to the recovery. Here's hoping it is a smooth process for you, Jo, so you get the relief it's meant to offer.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks. Gardening the past 5 years has just put the joint off the mark.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Yeah, gardening should be an extreme sport. I had trouble ten years ago putting a second toe out of joint. It was probably from stepping on the spade so much while wearing jungle mocs. Fortunately all is well there now, but I had to have a surgery that broke the toe in two places, and I couldn't work or walk for two months. Now I wear CAT boots with steel reinforcements in the garden.

Thomaston, CT

Rosemary, hellebores would look very nice by the umbrella pine......

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks, Marilyn. Great idea! I forgot that they don't only grow in shade. With any luck the tree will grow and make shade, though.

Now I am wishing for a visit to the Alcott House in Concord where I remember they have a huge variety of ground covers, probably tons of hellebores too. The house and museum are very shady, though. How nice it would be to have literary references in the garden if I am to copy anyone :)

Thomaston, CT

Sounds like an interesting place....I have a friend who used to live in Harvard, now in Foxboro...have to ask her if she visited....

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

I have a long list of places I haven't seen yet, but the Alcott House is a major destination for Girl Scouts, so I took the troop there about 10 yrs ago. The gardens aren't listed anywhere but i liked the natural look of them.

South Hamilton, MA

We've been through the house. tough on me as a lot of standing while guides talk. I didn't notice the gardens.

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the new thread, Jo. Those planters are gonna look great, although you might want to use something other than that pink impatiens, unless you haven't had problems with the downy mildew that has been killing them off in many places. You can't grow them again for 5 years in spots where there were impatiens with the downy mildew, as the spores can remain dormant for that length of time. Fungicides don't work on it, either, apparently.

VTRoots, thanks for thinking of us, and I'm glad you're enjoying this thread.

Bill, I like your new raised sitting area. Can't wait to see what kinds of plantings you end up putting in. You pretty much go all out.

Looking forward to seeing your tulip and reticulated iris combo this spring, Lucy.

Rosemary, your place is looking good. I love the umbrella pine. I've been wanting to get one myself, but don't know where I'd put it yet.

Has anyone been to Blithewold Mansion in Bristol, RI? Gorgeous place! Lots of nice gardens there.

Karen

South Hamilton, MA

reticulatas & tulips are in different beds. The little irises bloom before the 2 different types of grape hyacinths which are in the same bed. those are on a small hill which was cut into when the driveway was put in. Actually the 'way' is a grass path. Regular gravel driveway is closer to the road.

This message was edited Nov 10, 2012 8:45 AM

Thomaston, CT

Yes, Karen, I've been there....ages ago!

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

What did you think of it, Marilyn?

They'll still look good, Lucy.

Karen

Thomaston, CT

All I can remember at this point was the beautiful butterfly bushes at the entrance!

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

I have been to Blithewood for a quick visit. Opportunity came when DD went to a language camp at Roger Williams College two summers ago. We live in the midst of amaging historic gardens. I saw old photographs in a book from the turn of the last century showing topiary gardens around the large pond in Wellseley, but I haven't heard if any part of it was preserved. Grey gardens is a fun destination because visitors can just enjoy.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Karen:Thanks for the impatiens headsup.I will probably change compositions many more times as the winter draggs on.
I had noticed an overbearing of pink color in the deck as a whole.

Thomaston, CT

Wow....I saw a beautiful display, Jo......never too much pink!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

The container combos are never done until May.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I thought the pinks were very pretty Jo, the combos were wonderful! I am a big fan of the 'Black Cherry' and the rose zinnia. :)

This is the front of my new house, the trees on the left (2 white birch & 1 apple is where I planted my "river of blue" with tulips & daffs on eitherside. The next picture is what I tried to do on a much smaller scale. Someday i'd like to do it on a bigger scale under the row of apple trees.

Thumbnail by pixie62560 Thumbnail by pixie62560
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

That house is really nice.So many places for gardens.Love the scillia and daffs.Hope you make it.

South Hamilton, MA

great idea.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Love that idea!!!

South Hamilton, MA

fell asleep after lunch (until now) & missed good gardening temps.

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

found broken limbs from Sandy on my lilac. we're going to fix that and hope to shape it more upright. right now it's very wide.

Thomaston, CT

What a pretty setting, Pixie...the house just belongs there.....love that idea with the bulbs....

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

got almost all the raking done, cloed the pond, and planted a few hundred bulbs this weekend

had to rescue a few large frogs out of the pond and move them to the real one - wife would have gone nuts if she was out there:)

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Bill!! you have quite an ecosystem there. I wonder if the frogs wont migrate back?

Thomaston, CT

Worker of the world, Bill......I got nothing done....today, I'm cutting back stuff in the perennial beds.....

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

We wore out too but I did get some invading vines and dead branches chopped off yesterday and we got 7 more bags out. We've got colds. You'd scarcely know that we raked. Downed branches are still on the ground, plenty of future firewood gratis from our neighbors who don't maintain trees.

Thomaston, CT

Finished the smaller front bed....just looking at the larger one makes me tired!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.