Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Texas Gardening: Peggy Martin roses

Communities > Forums > Texas Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Texas GardeningReplies: 12, Views: 135
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

November 3, 2012
5:59 AM

Post #9323418

I bought one of these a few years ago and it has proven to be vigorous and easy to care for. My issue is it is always listed as everblooming. Mine has one huge flush in spring and then no blooms. I do have some blooms now but this is the first time. Any ideas why mine is not acting as everblooming. I do water regularly and the soil is pretty fertile. I haven't fertilized much yet as the bed was new and loaded with compost when I planted it.
C
grits74571
Talihina, OK

November 3, 2012
6:20 AM

Post #9323437

Did you deadhead it some that are advertised as everblooming still need a little help
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

November 3, 2012
6:22 AM

Post #9323441

I have tried that yes. Last year it got a complete hair cut and still no rebloom. This year I did some trimming but wasn't overly careful.

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 4, 2012
5:47 AM

Post #9324185

My Peggy Martin is giving me a fall flush of blooms. Peggy (the woman who had the found rosť that bears her name) told my friend that it will bloom in the spring and again in the fall. Mine started around first of March and petered out the end of May. It started again mid to late September and with the last cool spell I noticed there are very few buds left to open.
One thing I have noticed with my antiques and found roses is that they do not need the super soil that regular roses need. Perhaps you are loving it too much. I never deadhead or prune intentionally. Mine is not climbing as fast, it got trimmed by a wayward cow in June, but is very healthy. I even forget to water it sometimes in the summer since it sits on the backside of a fence covered by my coral vine.
I can't remember the last time I fertilized any of my roses.

Joy
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

November 4, 2012
6:32 AM

Post #9324229

Mine seems healthy but its growth is amazing and the canes get so long it must be trimmed. I was hoping for a plant that had a longer bloom time and was tempted to remove and replace it but its such a vigorous and hardy rose I decided to leave it. Mine has a few blooms right now (for the first time by the way) but I would'nt call it a flush and they just started here, not back in September.
C

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 4, 2012
7:55 PM

Post #9324817

Peggy Martin is a climber, it is meant to have very long canes and the blooms come off them. Perhaps if you didn't prune it, it would do better.

Joy
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

November 4, 2012
7:56 PM

Post #9324819

Yes I am aware it climbs and I only prune what I have to but that certainly could be the issue.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 6, 2012
6:51 AM

Post #9325934

newton...I sent a youtube video link on the rose forum. Might help with the pruning issues.

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 6, 2012
9:39 AM

Post #9326094

Here is my unkempt girl.

Nola_Nigella

Nola_Nigella
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

January 29, 2013
7:46 AM

Post #9401168

I've been keeping my eyes open for one here in New Orleans that I can ask the owner for a cutting. So far, I've only found one in the graveyard and another on a house too high-falutin for me to work up the nerve to knock! :)

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 29, 2013
9:31 AM

Post #9401280

You know, this reboot gave me a thought. Have you given it epsom salts ever? Was just thinking that a boost in the late summer or when it stops blooming might give it a refueling. Your really good composted bed might be the reason it is doing so well. It spends all its energy growing rather than producing blooms. Mine is covered in buds right now but still hasn't gotten much bigger from last year, maybe mine needs a compost boost.

Joy
txaggiegal
Belton, TX

January 30, 2013
12:23 PM

Post #9402712

Really interesting suggestions...I have never even put compost on my Peggy and it blooms from January (now!) through June...then shuts down for a bit during the heat...then begins as soon as the heat breaks...or we get rain (ha!)...It is usually still blooming at Thanksgiving, but then that seems to be cold-dependent...

Could there be different varieties such as there are with Cecile Brunner?...
sweetmommy
Fulshear, TX
(Zone 9b)

February 1, 2013
5:33 PM

Post #9405354

There is a gorgeous Peggy Martin growing the the gardens of the Ft. Bend Extension Service. It's huge and covers almost the entire back roof. I'll take a photo the next time I'm over that way.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Texas Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
who grows peonies in houston area? vossner 20 Jun 18, 2012 7:58 PM
Texas Invasives List PvillePlanter 18 Mar 14, 2014 5:34 PM
Anyone Up For A Chat? dstartz 29 Jun 30, 2007 5:44 PM
DGrs in SW houston vossner 5 Dec 29, 2013 2:55 PM
Mock Orange in a big pot? mkjones 21 Aug 15, 2011 1:29 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America