Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Peggy Martin rose

Arlington, TX

I bought one of these a few years ago and it has proven to be vigorous and easy to care for. My issue is it is always listed as everblooming. Mine has one huge flush in spring and then no blooms. I do have some blooms now but this is the first time. All summer it was without flowers. Any ideas why mine is not acting as everblooming. I do water regularly and the soil is pretty fertile. I haven't fertilized much yet as the bed was new and loaded with compost when I planted it.
C

Hanceville, AL(Zone 7a)

Roses do not like real hot weather. At least I have been told that. Maybe that is the problem. Mine all bloom until the weather gets too hot and then seem to go dormant until fall. Luciee {;^)

Arlington, TX

I thought about that and maybe thats the reason. Still people on the TX forum show roses blooming all summer...?

Hanceville, AL(Zone 7a)

They show roses blooming all summer here, too. The info to plant them says plant in full sun. It gets hot here in full sun but that's where mine are planted. Luciee {;^)

Richmond, TX

My Peggy Martin has bloomed more continuously as she got older. The hot weather does not seem to discourage her much. Climbers often seem to take a while to get established and come into their own.

Arlington, TX

I have had it four years and its a large plant. I do have to cut it back as it gets huge.

Richmond, TX

May it is insulted by the pruning?

Arlington, TX

It could be, I am not sure how to actually prune this plant. It's growing on a wrought iron fence but the canes get so long they must be trimmed back. Perhaps I do this at the wrong time? I do it after the first flush of blooms fade and I never see any buds when I am pruning.
C

Richmond, TX

I am no help. I really never prune anything so I don't know, but your practice sounds logical.

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

For most climber, one can encourage more blooms by securing the canes to grow horizontally as opposed to vertically. From the photos uploaded onto Help Me Find horizontal training does look to help Peggy bloom more vigorously. Also from those photos it looks as if Peggy does slow down in summer heat. It doesn't say that in the description but it looks like one fellow from LA uploaded a photo of a gorgeously healthy Peggy Martin in the summer. No blooms present and I think he was trying to tell us something.

I have a number of climbers and ramblers. In general I've come to find that when a climber and the occasional rambler is described as everblooming, continuous blooming, or whatever they don't mean the same thing as a continous blooming shrub. They mean more like repeat blooming in flushes with the occasional appearance of a few blooms between flushes.

I've learned when pruning climbers that one removes non-productive canes every three years or so and only remove damaged or seriously crossed canes every year. Never remove more than a third of the canes any one year and correct "v's" as needed. If you follow this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr3cTEjzrcM , you will find a whole treasure trove of youtubes from Paul Zimmerman on how to peg a rose, prune a climber, train a pillar rose, etc. He's a very good teacher. But you can't get a climber to stop growing at a certain point in the season. If you do it will sulk like my sister! And they do need more time to grow into themselve and develop their variety traits.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Terri,

Thank you for the great link!

Donna

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

Donna! Haven't seen you here for a while. Hope all is well.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.