Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Gardening Questions: Moss Growth

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 7, Views: 72
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Ollie2292
Dudley
United Kingdom

November 3, 2012
8:21 AM

Post #9323537

Hi, i had this lemon tree a while back and this moss and plants have grown, i was wondering, if i took a section of moss and put it in another pot, will it grow and expand to fill pot? i'd like to make a mini garden see

Thumbnail by Ollie2292
Click the image for an enlarged view.

altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

November 3, 2012
8:32 AM

Post #9323548

Sure, with high light and ample moisture, there's no reason why it wouldn't work.
greenthumb_NC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

November 4, 2012
4:32 AM

Post #9324122

My moss grows in the shade without any help from me. It fills in between ferns, the Pachysandra and Siberian irises. You can lift it quite easily and put it in other spots. Mine is in places that I do not step on or disturb the way nature has it growing!

Karin
greenthumb_NC
purpleinopp
Opp, AL
(Zone 8b)

November 4, 2012
7:47 AM

Post #9324294

Is the tree still living in that pot?
Ollie2292
Dudley
United Kingdom

November 4, 2012
8:08 AM

Post #9324308

Yeah the lemon tree is fine, doesnt make many lemons though, i got like one good one growing, they always turn black and die :(
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 4, 2012
4:04 PM

Post #9324600

I wonder if you're watering too much and that's why the lemons are turning black? Moss requires a lot more moisture (and shade) to do well than a lemon does, so it seems to me if the conditions in your pot are ideal for moss to grow, they are not so ideal for the lemon. If you can keep it a little drier and in a sunnier location you might get more fruit.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

November 8, 2012
3:57 PM

Post #9328251

Ecrane is correct about the damp conditions that mosses require, also the lemon tree likes the soil to dry out almost before more water is given, they dont like roots that sit in wet soil and I wonder IF you have enough drainage in the bottom of the large pot you have the lemon tree set in, mosses require very little sunlight and cool damp conditions to grow well so what the moss has is the very opposite to the requirements for the lemon,
maybe you need to remove the moss, use a spatula that we use for kitchen as it will help you lift larger areas of the moss AND they are not deep rooted plants, place the lifted moss onto shallow trays and place in a cool damp area to recover, as for the fruit tree in a large pot, try roll the pot over and check there are holes in the bottom of the pot, if none, then use electric drill to make several holes for water to drain away, then find a good quality Citrus plant feed to give early spring, only use the dose of feed recommended on the label as too much can be a s bad as too little.
As for the Moss, once you see the moss has settled then replant it where it is in shade and keep damp NOT waterlogged. be carefull as Moss can become slippy and keep away from footpaths that will be used often as you dont want to slip and break any bones.
Good luck. Weenel.
purpleinopp
Opp, AL
(Zone 8b)

November 10, 2012
6:03 AM

Post #9329511

Agreed, that's why I asked.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America