Bottom Heat for Plumeria Cuttings

Long Beach, CA

Hello to all,
I have a few plumeria cuttings in 5 gallon pots. I wanted to give them a little bottom heat to speed up the rooting process for maybe two weeks. I was thinking of useing my Sun Beam heating pad on low. I just don't think a seedling mat will raise the temp of the soil to be of any use. What do you think?
Thanks
Rhapsody

Thumbnail by Rhapsody616
Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

When I use a heating source for my cuttings, I put my heating pad in a 2-gallon freezer bag and turn it to medium - works all winter long for me. I've never had a problem using it.

Long Beach, CA

I am happy to hear I may be onto something. Thank you for your reply!
Rhapsody

Holly Springs, NC(Zone 7b)

Darnit! All the new heating pads have auto-off features and I'm chicken to use an older model because I'm afraid I'll burn the house down. Decisions, decisions, decisions....

If you leave the house, ALWAYS turn it off!

Long Beach, CA

That is kind of my point. The heating pad would be outside on the concrete with the pots on top of it. I would not turn it off. My thinking is to use it as a seedling mat but for rooting. I think the auto shut off is a good feature. Turn them on and walk away. Mine doesn't have a shut off.
Rhapsody

They will get enough heat to root while you are home - they don't need constant heat.

Long Beach, CA

Good point. So I will do it through the evening when I get home and turn it off when I go to work. Yahh me.
Rhapsody

Melbourne Beach, FL

I had to go and get all fancy and buy a seedling heating pad. Never thought about using a "people" heating pad. Guess I can make a return to Grower's Supply!

Long Beach, CA

The heating mats I have don't get very warm. That is why I am wondering if the work well. I have three of them.

Rhapsody, I personally don't think they work well - that's why I started using a personal heating pad on low setting.

Long Beach, CA

KayJones.. I am happy I am not alone. I think a low setting with a towel under the pot should work well. When I came home this past summer and put my finder in the soil to see if the potted plants need water I was amazed at how hot the soil was. It had to be about 75-80 degrees. I mean hot!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images