Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Welcome Mat: Hello from Middle Tennessee

Communities > Forums > Welcome Mat
bookmark
Forum: Welcome MatReplies: 3, Views: 42
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
RoseberryFarm
Linden, TN
(Zone 7a)

November 4, 2012
7:53 AM

Post #9324301

We are a couple of retirees that are realizing our dreams... Gardening !! My spouse has always dreamed of having a truck garden and when he moved here to Tennessee and realized the potential, well... he decided to just go for it... It isn't about making money...although it would be nice... but more just to be doing what we love.. Last year we planted 4 acres in Tomatos, peppers, corn, melons, and squash...okra and a few other things... and gave most of it away to folks... I canned lots of tomatos and juiices and froze some of the produce... and so we have a nice larder filled with "summertime"...

KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 4, 2012
5:54 PM

Post #9324682

Welcome, RoseberryFarm! Wow, four acres of veggies is a whole lot to give away. I've always wanted a vegetable garden, but out here in the woods, we can barely enjoy flowers without the woodland critters eating/destroying everything.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 18, 2012
11:25 AM

Post #9361525

Please forgive my tardiness, but I would also like to welcome you, RoseberryFarm! My goodness, what a beautiful dream come true, Congratulations!! =)

Happy posting, and I'll look forward to seeing you around, ... not to mention enjoying photos of your fabulous veggies! :)
Nelsonian
Nelson
New Zealand

December 22, 2012
3:41 PM

Post #9364906

Hi Roseberry,
like you I am a newcomer and I hope you enjoy the forums as much as I do. Lots more to explore yet of course.
Wow, that sure was a big planting. We moved out of town to the country way back in 1985 and began with establishing a commercial orchard and grew glasshouses crops. We decided to have a home orchard with lots of different trees, apples, plums. nectarines, peaches, cherry, walnut, almonds hazels...was great for a few years and like you most of the produce from those tress was given away.

The business side expanded and the trees had to make way for buildings. We moved into town but grew flowers and tubers on leased land for five years and three years ago retired from that. My husband now has a hobby of growing shrubs and perennials. He sells at local markets around town and he really enjoys meeting people and answering their gardening questions. He also sells tools, finds that the male customers are happy to sort through the stock while their womenfolk check out the plants.

Thumbnail by Nelsonian
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Welcome Mat Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Introduction pearl 12 Jun 14, 2007 3:08 PM
Louisiana crawdad360 26 May 21, 2009 4:35 PM
Hi Everyone.... From the Chesapeake Bay Area Chesapeake 11 Jun 15, 2008 4:12 PM
Greetings from NE Kansas! azurebloom 11 Sep 29, 2008 1:04 AM
Hello from the Caribbean knotimpaired 14 Sep 3, 2007 7:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America