-
AuthorContent
LJinWBPA
Wilkes-Barre, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 4, 2012
1:16 PM

Post #9324487

Here's an idea for those into growing palms up North. Although the majesty palm is not my favorite palm (it's a little too tropical for my tastes), and it's far from the hardiest, it seems to be the cheapest and most commonly available for some reason. Every big box store and many grocery stores seem to carry it. I live in Zone 6b. In May I try to find the largest ones that will fit in my not so big car. In the 4 or so years I've been doing this they seem to look nice into October at least and survive until the middle of November. They seem to take light frosts while heavy frost discolors the leaves. They also seem to take light freezes down to about 27 or so. Of course then they die and it's maybe 30 dollars to replace them in the Spring, but for some gardeners this may be better then having to look at piles of leaves, wire and burlap all Winter. I am experimenting with other hardy palms in my back yard which I will address in another thread sometime. Another advantages is that because they are sold as houseplants and patio plants, They can take some light shade and can be put in a sheltered area easier. Really though unless one has a solarium I don't see them as good house plants. Has anyone ever tried this? I got the idea from the many Queen Palms that are used as annuals on mid-atlantic beach resorts. I do know many people here put them on their porches though they never take them out of their undersized nursery pots and they die before the end of the season anyway. I put mine in the ground figuring many of the annuals people plant here are "tropical" perenials anyway... e.g. cordyline... I'd still prefer a palm thats hardy all year and comes back for the sake of authenticity but still...
purpleinopp
Opp, AL
(Zone 8b)

November 12, 2012
2:38 PM

Post #9331415

Are you asking if anyone keeps majesty palms as house plants? Absolutely they do! There are many types of palms that are happy to live in pots for decades, parlor palm probably being the most pervasive.

Have you investigated elephant ears? Cannas? These tropical plants are easily overwintered as dormant tubers in a cool basement.
LJinWBPA
Wilkes-Barre, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 13, 2013
8:23 PM

Post #9483121

Not so much as a houseplant but as an in-ground annual like people do with impatiens, petunias, and cordyline... I mean a plam is more expensive but they can have a strong impact and they are relatively cheap and easy to find for a palm. Actually I don't even know if they're the best houseplants unless you have a large and very bright area. I know people have them as patio plants in containers but I have no place in the house for them and containers freeze quicker so I tend to put them in the ground and treat them as a surprisingly long lasting annual. They look quite interesting with autumn leaves falling on them.
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 13, 2013
8:31 PM

Post #9483130

look for cat palms or parlor palms, like purpleinopp mentioned, for $10 at Walmart. of course, if that's the look you're going for. those doesn't have the coconut tree tropical look of the majesty. instead they have a more delicate tropical look, relaxing and lush like a rainforest.
just a suggestion
LJinWBPA
Wilkes-Barre, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 13, 2013
10:12 PM

Post #9483185

I'm more for the palm look, not coconut or rainforest... The Majesty Palm is even a little too tropical for my taste but they're easy to find. I'm more into the Mediterranean look but trunking Date and Fan palms are $$$ and hard to find around here.
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 14, 2013
9:57 AM

Post #9483528

how about lady palms? i'm not sure about $value but they have multiple trunks and is a fan palm.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Landscaping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Landscaping forum! dave 65 Dec 11, 2011 8:57 PM
Landscape Transformation - join me! LarissaH 7 Mar 4, 2007 10:31 PM
Hello everyone, I'm new , and I need some landscaping help. Mrsfed04 32 Mar 9, 2012 9:12 PM
Encourage growth to Arborvitae carbo3595 15 Jul 2, 2010 8:11 PM
Update on our lanscaping situation. Mrsfed04 8 Jun 12, 2011 11:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America