Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Plant Trading: Plants for trade

Communities > Forums > Plant Trading
bookmark
Forum: Plant TradingReplies: 14, Views: 399
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
chellflower
Tyler, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 4, 2012
6:19 PM

Post #9324723

I have the following plants for trade

christmas cactus
lucky bamboo
basket plant (callisia fragrans)
purple queen tradescantia
pothos/devil's ivy
parrot's beak ginger (heliconia )
rojo banana----spoken for
dracaena janet craig compacta (1 ft tall)
dracaena lemon lime
mother in law plant (green with yellow edges)
zebra aloe
rain lily -pink
jade plant-----spoken for
coffee plant
aloe vera
dumb cane
split leaf philodenron
anthurium
boston fern
arrowhead vine- green
canna corsica
canna ibiza
canna wyoming
canna red stripe
canna -lost tags (may be richard wallace, yellow king humbert, florence vaughn, etc)

If interested, please send Dmail listing the plants you want and what you have to trade. Please check out my want list.
Thanks, Chell

This message was edited Nov 26, 2012 11:05 AM
luciee
Hanceville, AL
(Zone 7a)

November 11, 2012
3:11 PM

Post #9330540

Is the christmas cactus a claw cactus or a real christmas cactus? I am trying to find a true christmas cactus, should have paid more attention when several elderly women were still alive. Thanks, Luciee {;^) ps, I have pink and red claw cactuses. L
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 11, 2012
3:54 PM

Post #9330575

Luciee, what is the botanical name for the 'real' Christmas Cactus?
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

November 12, 2012
4:08 AM

Post #9330845

Here Kay,
I never knew the difference
http://www.ladybug.uconn.edu/factsheets/documents/holidaycactus.html
I will have to go look at all mine...I'm sure most are Thanksgiving
Txtea
Fabens, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 12, 2012
4:27 AM

Post #9330855

Was glad to read this, have had one for at least 7 years and always thought it was a Christmas now I know it's a Thanksgiving. Great info.
luciee
Hanceville, AL
(Zone 7a)

November 12, 2012
6:40 AM

Post #9330984

Shlumbergera bridgesii. Truncata cactus. Someone else put up some info that shows the difference in the phylocades. I'm glad to share what I know, although it is not very much sometimes. That is why I love the computer, I can google up info quickly. I used to go to the library and look up things. Then I got a flower and garden encyclopedia. It is so old that it reccomends DDT!! But it still has good basic info. Luciee {;^) The 1st name is right, but not the truncata. Truncata is Thanksgiving cactus. Sorry for my mistake and I hope no one was confused. Luciee {;^) I had to edit because of this mistake. L.

This message was edited Nov 12, 2012 2:16 PM
chellflower
Tyler, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 14, 2012
5:36 AM

Post #9332777

Hmmm, let's see if this photo helps...

If I recall, mine bloom around Nov- Dec.

Thumbnail by chellflower
Click the image for an enlarged view.

luciee
Hanceville, AL
(Zone 7a)

November 14, 2012
10:35 AM

Post #9333072

Chell, yours is a claw cactus. The retailers call therm Christmas cactus because they are easier to get to bloom for Christmas. The true Christmas cactus has no claws. Thanks, Luciee {;^)
chellflower
Tyler, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 14, 2012
6:29 PM

Post #9333447

Okay, thanks for clearing that up.. I purchased them as Schlumbergera, but I've heard them called Zygo cactus as well... I've often wondered if both names were for the same species.
luciee
Hanceville, AL
(Zone 7a)

November 14, 2012
7:11 PM

Post #9333477

Yes, both names are right. You can google up zygocactus and it says that is the old name. That is, zygocactus was changed to schlumbergera. Due to genetic testing of plants, they have found out that some plants have been in the wrong group. There have been a lot of name changes and re-classification. Like I said, the thanksgiving (truncata) cactus is being sold for christmas cactus because it is easier to get to bloom at christmas. The true christmas cactus blooms
later, aroud the 1st of January or later. Hope this helps. Luciee {;^)
chellflower
Tyler, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 15, 2012
6:03 PM

Post #9334258

I had also read that schlums and zygos were the same... so what's the botanical name for the true christmas cactus?
luciee
Hanceville, AL
(Zone 7a)

November 15, 2012
6:20 PM

Post #9334279

Chell, according to my flower and garden encyclopedia, copyrited in 1964, Schlumbergera bridgesii is the Christmas cactus. I do not know where to get one as all the info on the computer says that a person has to get a cutting from someone. If you know anyone who has an old big christmas cactus, that would be a good source. I am asking all around whether anyone has one. I wanted a red one but as hard as they are to come by I would take any color. Luciee {;^)
chellflower
Tyler, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 16, 2012
10:01 PM

Post #9335216

Okay, so the actual Chrismas cactus is one of the Schlum cultivars, but doesn't have such prominent 'claws'...is this correct?

I'll keep an eye out for them. Thanks
Chell
luciee
Hanceville, AL
(Zone 7a)

November 17, 2012
10:09 AM

Post #9335537

Correct, and the segments hang down more, giving a drooping effect when it blooms. The pollen is darker. Thanksgiving cactus has a more yellow pollen and stands more upright in the pot. Thanksgiving cactus does fine in a hanging basket, but Christmas cactus is GEORGEOUS in a hanging basket. Thanks for your interest. Luciee {;^)
hoitider
Emerald Isle, NC

November 19, 2012
10:44 AM

Post #9337208

Chell could send you a collection of canna roots for yours also your roho banna for one of mine check out my trade list LOL Walt

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Plant Trading Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
have colts foot and a goldenseal bloomingidiot 5 May 29, 2009 7:56 PM
Crocosmia Zanymuse 17 Oct 25, 2007 1:37 AM
CLOSED: Yucca? Melissa_Ohio 8 Apr 6, 2008 3:43 PM
hardy glad bulbs and small yucca plants catbirdsue 8 Apr 5, 2008 11:40 PM
Wanted : Tri color Strawberry Begonia,Blue Sky Flower MsCritterkeeper 18 Feb 23, 2009 11:34 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America