Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Picking the Best Apples for Your Pie: APPLES FOR PIE

Communities > Forums > Article: Picking the Best Apples for Your Pie
bookmark
Forum: Article: Picking the Best Apples for Your PieReplies: 4, Views: 32
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
NancyRussell
New Hope, PA

November 5, 2012
5:11 AM

Post #9325053

I LIKED THE COMBO OF MCINTOSH AND WINESAP. THE INTENSE, RICH AND DEEP FLAVOR OF THESE TWO PRODUCED THE BEST PIES FOR ME BUT I HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO BUY WINESAP FOR YEARS. MCINTOSH ARE AVAILABLE BUT NOT ORGANIC ONES.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 5, 2012
5:16 AM

Post #9325061

MMMM. I'll have to keep an eye out for winesap at orchards.
pastapicker
Columbus, OH

November 5, 2012
7:58 AM

Post #9325229

Stayman winesap was always my favorite for eating fresh, and it was among the varieties that my parents would buy by the bushel to store in our unheated sunroom for the winter. There was a wonderful orchard nearby, now closed, that grew them along with Baldwins, Wealthys, Red Rome, maybe Empire and Cortland. So hard to find any of these now--the newer varieties must be easier to grow.

We had 3 Red Delicious trees on our property, but none of our family really cared for them--we would give them away to the neighbors, then go to the orchard to buy the ones we preferred!

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 5, 2012
10:39 AM

Post #9325376

I have seen cortland and empire at some orchards in this region. You probably have to be out east to find the Stayman winesap, which is a child of winesap.

Here's an interesting site where you may find some helpful information.

http://www.orangepippin.com
akwill001
Center Lovell, ME
(Zone 5a)

November 7, 2012
5:57 PM

Post #9327423

This year I tried Gravenstein (not mixed with any other apple). FABULOUS for pies! As I peeled, cored and cut them, I put them in a bowl of cold water to cut down on browning. They stayed white and toothsome throughout the baking process. I also love Cox's Orange Pippen for the same reasons.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Picking the Best Apples for Your Pie Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
wish I could get some Dutchlady1 3 Oct 21, 2008 7:56 PM
Northern spies Kathleen 6 Oct 21, 2008 2:47 PM
No Cortlands??? apurplefoxglove 1 Oct 27, 2008 1:45 PM
Too much liquid in pie Cee08 5 Dec 31, 2008 8:48 PM
My favorite but hard to find Joeyfornow 9 Nov 6, 2012 6:21 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America