Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Cameras and Photography: Any one using one of the "Pen" or 4/3 type DSLR cameras?

Communities > Forums > Cameras and Photography
bookmark
Forum: Cameras and PhotographyReplies: 10, Views: 62
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

beclu727

beclu727
Dacula, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 5, 2012
5:34 AM

Post #9325078

I have been using a super zoom type point and shoot camera for years and am looking to upgrade to one of the newer ones. Or something different. I am thinking of buying one of the small DSLR cameras and would like a recommendation from anyone who has one. Like the 4/3 ones with interchangeable lenses. Also what other small DSLRs are available? I have small hands and cannot hold the larger ones for any length of time. Any comments appreciated.

thanks,
Becky
gasrocks
Portage, WI
(Zone 5a)

November 29, 2012
6:49 PM

Post #9345814

I am not sure you need to switch. They do make some wonderful P&S cameras. Especially since you mention small (weak?) hands. Trouble with any DSLR, including 4/3, is buying lenses. Usually the ones that come with the body are OK but not great. If you are truly tryng to upgrade you'll wind up soending a lot on lenses. The better lenses are heavy and that goes against your criteria. What P&S do you have now?

beclu727

beclu727
Dacula, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 1, 2012
12:02 PM

Post #9346982

I have an Olympus SP-560UZ. It is 8 megapixels and 18x zoom. Its just very slow to startup and slow between shots. I've been looking at some of the newer ultra-zoom point and shoot cameras, but most of the new ones don't have a viewfinder. I use the viewfinder on the oly a lot in bright sunlight. I saw the nikon one does have a viewfinder as well as one of the canons. I mainly take pictures of birds and butterflies, so I need something fast. Also, I am historian for my master gardener group for 2013 and need to take pics at the meetings and field trips. Meetings are usually low light and I don't want to use flash.
gasrocks
Portage, WI
(Zone 5a)

December 1, 2012
12:34 PM

Post #9346992

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-FZ47K-Digital-Camera-24xOptical/dp/B005F25IL4/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1354393964&sr=8-14&keywords=panasonic lumix

Maybe something like this one??

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 3, 2012
5:04 AM

Post #9348438

There are lots of reviews out there on the Bridge type (super zoom) cameras. Try a google search for bridge camera review and you'll see a lot of them. Choose the more recent reviews. Here's one to get you started ...

http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/equipment/advice/501485/what-is-the-best-bridge-camera-2012-our-top-5-superzoom-bridge-cameras-of-the-year.html

Good luck in your search!

Patti

beclu727

beclu727
Dacula, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 8, 2012
8:14 AM

Post #9352942

Thanks for the replies and links. I'm looking at some of the newer superzoom cameras now. Nikon Coolpix P510, Canon PowerShot SX40 and Sony CyberShot HX200v. All have good and not so good points. I am leaning towards the Sony right now, but that could change. Canon has just come out with an SX50. I need to go to a store that has all of them to see which one feels the best when holding it. That's my next step.
gasrocks
Portage, WI
(Zone 5a)

December 8, 2012
8:59 AM

Post #9352988

http://www.dpreview.com/ I teach photography and tell my students that there is only one place to go for camera reviews. Trouble with the net is that you can stay up all night long reading people's comments and just wind up more confused than ever. Yes, hold it in your hands and see how it feels. Also without the salespersons help, and no book, see how much you can do, how it gets along with your brain. Can you make it sing and dance? Some are better than others. I am not a fan of the Nikon Coolpix.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

December 8, 2012
9:23 AM

Post #9353004

I purchased a Coolpix P510 this Summer and really like it. My last camera was a Coolpix L110. I, too, take lots of bird and butterfly pics and have been pleased with the P510. At first, I said, "I don't need all that zoom..." but I like having it now and am glad I opted for this camera.

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 8, 2012
10:34 AM

Post #9353043

gasrocks, I love dpreview. It's my favorite place to read reviews and current news too. I'm curious as to why you don't like the Nikon Coolpix cams. After seeing the photos that HelloMissMary posts, I was thinking about getting one like hers as my backup camera. I use a Canon 1D Mark IV for my primary and a 7D as a backup now, but sometimes I just want to travel light.

Becky, I don't mean to hijack your thread. Hopefully the answer will benefit your search as well.

Patti
gasrocks
Portage, WI
(Zone 5a)

December 8, 2012
12:39 PM

Post #9353133

I am not a Nikon fan in general - many reasons. Best P&S are from Canon, Sony & Panasonic. Yes, it is tempting to get a smaller camera and have it with you at all times.

beclu727

beclu727
Dacula, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 8, 2012
1:41 PM

Post #9353157

No problem hijacking the thread Patti.
I've used dpreview for years. I got the oly after reading about it there. I've looked at all the superzoom reviews there and on other sites. I agree with gasrocks that reading too many of them just adds to the confusion. I like getting opinions here at DG because the people here have the same interests and take pics of the same things I usually want to take.
I may get to a store tomorrow...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cameras and Photography Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
photography(?) tink76627 7 Jul 25, 2011 5:03 AM
* FYI > Defect in some digital cameras * Magpye 24 Nov 7, 2007 12:48 PM
Anyone Use a Canon S2? melvatoo 25 Jul 31, 2007 4:14 PM
Digital Camera for sale MiniSchnuz 31 Apr 5, 2007 9:53 PM
swimming hole Iluvposies 10 Oct 4, 2007 2:33 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America