Photo by Melody

Tomatoes: Winter and getting ready for spring!

Communities > Forums > Tomatoes
bookmark
Forum: TomatoesReplies: 10, Views: 110
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
hugobee
Montreal, QC
(Zone 5b)

November 5, 2012
10:39 AM

Post #9325375

So, just to get a head start on next year, what preparations have you guys done for your gardens? I started a small area with earth, newspapers, but never added the hay that Rita had recommended. Mind you I have so many leaves still falling I should just pile them on and add compost. Not to change the subject, but will you guys be watching the returns? Sure hope the New Yorkers and people from NJ can vote! Sharon
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 6, 2012
6:57 AM

Post #9325939

I need to add volume to my beds. So I'm adding winter cover crops to build things up a bit. Will till under in spring. Vowing to use up my surplus seed supply before I buy any new varieties. Might trade. We'll see...
hugobee
Montreal, QC
(Zone 5b)

November 6, 2012
3:28 PM

Post #9326386

Well I have ordered all kinds of seeds! It's been a long time since I started my own tomato plants, so it's very exciting! But you're in Texas, you have a longer window of opportunity that I do in Montreal where it's freezing out!
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

November 6, 2012
10:57 PM

Post #9326625

OK, I found you- I haven't had much to say lately, but have been reading, and will post something tomorrow. Today I had eye surgery, and feel kinda spacey from pain meds! Also too much TV- watching the election returns.
hugobee
Montreal, QC
(Zone 5b)

November 7, 2012
9:30 AM

Post #9326961

hope you were happy with the election returns, altho we won't get into that one! It's really cold today, can't believe how hot the summer was and how cold it got. Where's el nino when we need him or her? I feel for anybody from the hurricane who still don't have heat or power or a place to stay.
Sharon

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

November 12, 2012
1:35 PM

Post #9331363

My garden is on the way to sleep for the winter, a few onions some garlic will grow through most of the winter, then some lettuce, then the tomato plants.
Fall has been digging some raised beds in hope of freeze to kill fungus and "other organisms" detrimental to the vegetable plants .Some of the beds are covered with paper will set dormant for the winter.
I will be starting tomato plants from seed in four or five months.I always try a few to harden off early to catch a window of
optimum growth for the tomato plants.
Some organic matter went in with the fall digging in hopes of next spring.I do the leaf pile thing also when weather and time allow,...
hugobee
Montreal, QC
(Zone 5b)

November 16, 2012
1:41 PM

Post #9334823

Wow, I have been awol for a few days. I never planted garlic. I wanted to but just never got around to it. I have never had much luck before, so probably nothing has been missed!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

November 16, 2012
2:15 PM

Post #9334864

I would imagine some garlic would grow for you there all year in slight shade ,cool weather that far north.How about onions?Any good there with those? Good from the garden if you enjoy them , otherwise it does not make sense anyway.

hugobee
Montreal, QC
(Zone 5b)

November 17, 2012
5:51 AM

Post #9335315

I don't know about onions. Garlic I always thought needed full sun. anyways, we get great garlic at the farmer's market in the summer, expensive but unbelievable! So I figure there's always next year. I guess I could try and plant in the spring. At least I have the winter to figure out which tomato plants I'm going to start.I bought a lot of seeds so I have my work cut out for me!
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 19, 2012
10:04 AM

Post #9337195

I just rototilled in one bed with a cover crop that was getting too tall. It has been a very mild fall for us so far and some good rain. I'm going to try and get a second cover crop going before winter sets in so double the green manure. Also tilled in three loads of goat pooh and used bedding.
hugobee
Montreal, QC
(Zone 5b)

November 19, 2012
3:46 PM

Post #9337431

Lucky you! It's cold here, and again, I had all kinds of good intentions of preparing my beds with compost and manure... Time just got by me, so I will have to wait till spring.Plus, I do a great deal of container planting, so I don't feel too guilty!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tomatoes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Blossom End Rot tiG 34 Mar 17, 2013 10:29 PM
TOMATOES ARE SPLITTING oblambert 31 Sep 11, 2012 7:13 PM
Principe Borghese/Juliet in containers? shane478 7 Feb 19, 2009 4:20 AM
Disease? Any idea what this is? BudZander 31 Apr 21, 2010 6:48 AM
Tree Tomato ?? faronell 10 Aug 3, 2007 1:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America