Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Photo Editing Fun - Page 55

Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

The last thread was over 200, so guess it's time for a new one. We're coming from:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1280422/

Please join us, and share your creative photo editing ...

Here's a planetoid of the Bay Bridge ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada
Memphis, TN

What a cool creation, Jubilada! Thanks for the new thread, too.

Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Here are two more planetoids ... Hornblower Yacht and Marin Headlands Sunset ... and a window with reflection, which was straightened by the CS6 perspective crop tool (a real handy little application for certain times), and then tweaked a bit with topaz ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada Thumbnail by Jubilada Thumbnail by Jubilada
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks for the new thread, Jubilada. Very cool planetoids! Love all of the gold in the first one, all the detail in the second and the abstract art of the last one. The window is amazing. I actually thought the reflection was part of the window.

I use the Perspective tool quite a bit. With the Cabin In The Woods, I used the fisheye lens. The cabin was very warped. I started with the lens correction tool in ACR. It helped some. Then I used the Perspective tool which helped more, but there was still a bit of distortion. I finished it off with the Puppet Warp tool. It still is off some.

Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Patti, the "perspective crop" is a little bit different than the "transformation: perspective" tool ... it doesn't work in every situation, but in the ones that it does, it does well ...

Memphis, TN

Wow -- that sunset planetoid is really neat! It's so fascinating to gaze into. And I really like the blues and golds in that window.....what a sight to behold!

1. Slightly Topazzed sky yesterday
2. I used one of the special effects in my camera for this one and did a little tweaking with contrast afterward.
3. DAPped Ginkgo tree
4. DAPped artist at Shelby Farms
5. Kaleido from backlit Sumac

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary Thumbnail by HelloMissMary Thumbnail by HelloMissMary Thumbnail by HelloMissMary Thumbnail by HelloMissMary
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Jubilada, Oh, yes. I forgot that one. You had mentioned it once before and I can see that it does have its uses. It is perfect for the window!

Miss Mary,

Beautiful sky! I love that pano composition with the sweeping clouds and the bit of tree to anchor it. Perfect!!!

Gosh, that camera just does it all. #2 is a gorgeous in-camera painting. But, I think your photographer's eye got the right composition for that cam to do its thing.

#3 is just beautiful - lovely way to show off that beautiful autumn color.

Great job on the artist! I bet she would love a copy of this. If you ever see her out there again, you'll have to exchange email addresses.

Cool kaleido. That sumac looks like it is on fire and your kaleido emphasizes it.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

I drove all the way home yesterday - 1005 miles in a little over 15 hours. Tired when I got home, but happy to have that drive over with. Checked out my garden this morning and I think I should have picked a few of those radishes before I left. They got a little too big. LOL. The green part is so pretty. I wonder if you can eat radish greens??? I sort of doubt it since they feel scratchy (hairy?) I'll have to google it.

Thumbnail by P_Edens Thumbnail by P_Edens
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

You can eat those radish greens! Found a recipe I'm going to try today ... http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/653743

I'll try the Flexitarian Table one.

Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Miss Mary, that "Artist" is fabulous ... a very "painterly" painter ... great job!

Patti, you're tough, I'll say that ... 15 hours and 1005 miles and you're just "tired." Cheez, I'd be dead! Welcome home!

Those radishes look beautiful! I'm not so sure about eating the greens, however, I think the texture would do me in. I've tried borage leaves (which are also rather prickly, but have a nice cucumber-y flavor), and simply could not get past the texture. Let us know how the recipe turned out!

Here's a Golden Gate Bridge Kaleido Globe ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Cool Golden Gate kaleido globe, Jubilada. It looks like a spherical wheel with spokes.

The radish dish was delicious - sinfully delicious. Okay, maybe I put a little more brown sugar than the recipe called for ... I tasted one of the raw giant radishes to make sure the big ones were still okay and wouldn't ruin the dish. It tasted just like a radish - fiery hot - and for me, heartburn waiting to happen. I can only eat a small bit of radish. When I bite them, they tend to bite back. But, cooked, it was completely tamed down and mild - no hot, no biting back. The greens were a bit more coarse than spinach, but I liked the texture. I can't really comment on the taste because I sort of overdid the nutmeg/brown sugar thing. When I reduced the liquids down to syrup and coated the cooked radishes and greens, they were like candy. I probably won't do this often, but I will do it once or twice a year when I have a bumper crop of radishes.

One of the vines growing in the children's playground at Shelby Farms...

Thumbnail by P_Edens
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

The mill at Cades Cove
Converted to B&W, added sepia tint, framed with vintage frame (from Steve Paxton at www.paxtonprints.com)

Thumbnail by P_Edens
Memphis, TN

Patti, the mill is a lovely shot with wonderful treatments. That's just the perfect frame for it, too. Big, lovely radishes -- guess it's true what they say about Texas. The Coral Honeysuckle turned out so nice and I like the way you married the blooms and berries.

Jubilada, that SF Golden Gate Bridge just works for so many things, doesn't it? I was thinking as I looked at the Kaleido Globe that it would make a beautiful drawer knob!

Here's a collage I made of the birds I've been able to "catch" this week:

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Miss Mary,

You know I love that bird collage. You did a great job of catching some beautiful birds. And, just where was Mr. Belted Kingfisher when I was there? See! They hide from me. LOL That Eastern Bluebird is gorgeous and what a unique perch - ^_^
I'm not sure what kind of duck that is. Love the little hat and leaves with the text - how cute and clever!

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

A few more from the trip ...

This is a shot I took at Dixon Gardens. The Fisheye just didn't work for this shot, so I tried to correct it and lost some pretty important features. I wanted to emphasize the writing on the side of the pond though, so at least I got that.

1. Final - Too bad there were no golden leaves floating in the pond or geese in the sky. I thought about adding them. Just not enough time.
2. Before and after
3. One of the wild and crazy processed night photos. This was when Kevin was painting with a color gel on his flashlight. This is the Blue gel and trees also painted.
4. This one is the purple gel and no tree painting.
5. This is when Kevin was writing on the side of the cabin with a very powerful green laser pointer. I didn't do the perspective corrections on the cabin on this one. He did a good job of writing in air. I couldn't do it worth a darn. But, the others didn't do any better than I did. It takes a lot of practice.

Thumbnail by P_Edens Thumbnail by P_Edens Thumbnail by P_Edens Thumbnail by P_Edens Thumbnail by P_Edens
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Still Processing
A close up of the mill's wheel.

In camera, I shot it several times at all different shutter speeds to try to get the water a bit silky and to have enough blur to indicate that the wheel is moving, but not so much that you can't see some detail in the wheel. This was my favorite image at this speed (0.8 seconds, on a tripod of course).

In post processing, I had to get rid of a lot of hot spots on the wood along the left side and metal at the top. I used a few passes of the gradient ND filter in ACR to do that. Then just added a small black stroke around the edges as a border.

Thumbnail by P_Edens
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Followed that 3D Sphere Cage tutorial we played with a while back ...

Thumbnail by P_Edens
Memphis, TN

Those are great, Patti, and I especially like the water wheel! Learning what all went into it makes me appreciate it that much more. That's a fantastic image.

I see what you mean about the Dixon Gardens shot. I like the "after" version better, too. That light painting is wonderful....incredible that he could "write" so well on that cabin!

1. I've been busy picking up these little treasures in my backyard every day. I've now collected 77 pounds of them! Yesterday, high winds ushered in a cold front and blew off lots of the leaves on my pecan tree. This morning, I zoomed in and took a picture of the treetop -- and it is still loaded with pecans!
2. Shelby Farms, last Wednesday

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary Thumbnail by HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

One more from me tonight -- Nandina leaves from this week.

Memphis, TN

Okay.....one more (and I promise this is it!).

I took the Nandina kaleido and ran it through PSP (Effects/Reflection Effects/Pattern) and then made another kaleido from that and put the finishing touches on in PSE9. Looks like something I'd have thought was groovy in 1970.

Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Miss Mary, the bird collage is really great! What a nice compilation of bird pics! Those Nandina leaf kaleidos are very special, too ... I especially like the first one! And, all those pecans! Will you be making many, many pecan pies?

Patti, I love that water wheel! You processed it perfectly! Those night shots are very interesting ... the light painting really fascinates me, and someday I'm going to have to try it. I'm flabbergasted by the number of stars! That Cardinal is caged up very cleverly!

I've been busy with all kinds of things (went to SF to see the "Lion King" last week ... if you ladies ever get a chance to see it, DO! It's fabulous!) ... and tonight is the last session of this "Joy of Digital Photography" class I've been taking. One of the assignments was to do a still life ... don't know why I had such a hard time with that, but somehow I did (my intellectual and emotional biorhythms are around 0 this week) ... in any event, here are a couple of the many examples of scenarios I played around with .. number one has been given a sepia treatment and a frame, number two has been run through FotoSketcher ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada Thumbnail by Jubilada
Memphis, TN

Oh, Jubi, I really like that second one! It SO belongs in a frame and over a kitchen table! It's absolutely lovely!

No pecan pies (love 'em, but I'll restrain myself).....I'll freeze them after they're shelled and have them for all sorts of things down the road (including munching!). Here's a shot of my yet-to-be-shelled stash, which has been PicMonkeyed around with a bit. For size reference, the large container is an 8-gallon garbage can....

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Miss Mary, 77 pounds! Holy mackerel. That's a lot of shelling. Your poor fingers must be shredded by now. I must say, they are mighty tasty little puh cahns'. Sorry, the southerner in me just had to do that. LOL

Those nandina kaleidos are so pretty. I love the leaf shapes and color in the first and the second one is groovy for sure.

Jubilada, Your assignment photos are outstanding. I love both of them, but the first one really is a work of art - both the photo and the processing! Great choice of and positioning of the elements, love the toning.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

I spent yesterday at Brazos Bend State Park and Brazoria National Wildlife Refuge. The cold front brought down a lot of birds. I'll process the birds from the NWR next. Here are a few of the BBSP shots.

1. Deer in the first morning light. They were so pretty. Deer Kisses.
2. Deer silliness
3. This is the only buck I saw. He wasn't afraid of me and he was showing me who was boss. I didn't stray away from my truck, because at this time of year, they can be very aggressive and very dangerous. This guy meant business. He was pawing the ground and staring at me while lowering his antlers. He was also grunting and snorting.
4. My little Vermillion flycatcher is back! He is so cute. This time, I underexposed when I shot it so that the reds would not be blown out. Seemed to work okay. It probably helped that the light was still very soft and diffuse - very early in am.

Thumbnail by P_Edens Thumbnail by P_Edens Thumbnail by P_Edens Thumbnail by P_Edens
Memphis, TN

Oh, Patti, those deer are precious! I like your little flirty take on their poses and looks. I'm sure you interpreted everything just right! What a sweet little birdie -- love that color and you managed a great capture!

I've only gotten 2.5 gallons of shelled pecans (that's PEE-cans if you're Paula Deen) so far and my carpal tunnel issues are revved up like crazy....not to mention the callouses and "shredding" on my right thumb. I'm really going at it slowly, a little each day. We'll see if I'm able to make it through the whole bunch without calling in reinforcements!

Here are a few Topazzed shots from my drive around town last week.

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary Thumbnail by HelloMissMary Thumbnail by HelloMissMary
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Paula Deen! Must be from Georgia. They, along with most northeasterners say PEE can. I like what Duke Lane has to say about that even if it is a bit rude and crude ...(It's in this article -
http://blog.al.com/bob-carlton/2011/11/puh-kahn_or_pee-can_right_pron.html )

To Fort Valley, Ga., pecan grower Duke Lane Jr., "pee-can" is just wrong, however.

"A lady told me one time, she said, 'Let me tell you, a "pee-can" is what my great-granddaddy kept in the corner of his bedroom in case he ever had to get up in the middle of the night,'" Lane says. "So I've been a 'puh-kahn' man ever since."

Just when I think your colors must have peaked, they just get better. Amazing images! That first one is incredible for the colors. I like that the ground is covered with all of the beautiful colors in the second image - almost like a reflection in water. I like the composition of the last one. I would like to walk down that road - so beautiful. The image has a nice dreamy mood.

One bird from me - a Chipping Sparrow, affectionately known as a Chippie among birders. He is an adorably cute little bird. Here's what I did ...

Duplicated the layer
Ran the new (grrrrr) Oil Paint on it and tweaked the sliders until I was as happy as I'm going to be with the new version (too lazy to move over to CS5 even though it is still on my computer)
Lowered the opacity of the Oil Painted layer to 52%
Added a mask and masked out the effect from the bird.

Thumbnail by P_Edens
Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Very interesting "pecan" pronunciation discussion! Here in California we say "pi-cahns," (short "i").

Miss Mary, much luck in getting all those shelled! Whew! I sure do hope someone comes to help you! Your poor fingers!

Patti, very nice/cute bunch of deer shots. The Vermillion Flycatcher is precious. You did a fine job with that Chipping Sparrow. I don't care for the new (grrr) Oil Paint either, and like you am sometimes too lazy to venture back to CS5, which I keep on my computer especially for the pixel bender filters!

Miss Mary, you surely have some beautiful colors there in Memphis ... and those are particularly nice shots of them!

Not much color here in Palo Alto, this year ... perhaps owing in part to the dry winter, and then the dry summer ... the leaves seem to have just turned brown for the most part, and fallen off the trees. Nevertheless, here are a couple of captures from my neighborhood ...
tree with rocks and grass, plasteroid frame
leaves flip kaleido

Thumbnail by Jubilada Thumbnail by Jubilada
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Jubilada,

I like your framing of that nice autumn scene - the top of the frame curves around in a nice shape for the tree. I wonder if those rocks are manufactured. The shapes seem so perfect. I've been looking at manufactured rocks, so I guess that's why they jumped out at me. The ones I'm looking at are actually storage bins. You can put one next to a bench and stash the cushion for the bench inside, out of the weather. Or there are a bunch of other things you can stash in them - bird feed next to a feeder is one thing I'm looking at. But, I don't know if they are critter proof.

Cool kaleido! I like the 3D look which I'm guessing is from the varying opacity of the layers.

Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Patti, I suspect those "rocks" are probably "sculptures." That's the first shot I've taken of them that's turned out fairly well.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Ah, yes, sculptures. Makes sense.

I finally processed some of the HDR sequences I shot at the mill in Cade's Cove. I tweaked them for a little more pop than natural, especially the one in the barn. It was a lot darker inside the barn, but I loved all that wood, so I shot a couple of overexposed shots to blend in so that the inside would be well lit.

1. This is where the water comes in for the wheel that turns the stones that grind the grain. Fascinating process and even more fascinating when you realize this was built in 1870 and it still works beautifully. It was grinding corn when I was there. Ingenious design.
2. HDR version of the B&W framed image I posted earlier. The water is coming in from over on camera left.
3. And, as Joe taught us, when you have taken the landscape shot, take the portrait one (or vice versa). I like the landscape one best, but this one has those nice red leaves over on the right, so I kept it.
4. The barn with all that lovely wood. The roof glows with the sun backlighting it. If you look, Photomatix preserved some of the starbursts of the light coming through the slats in the wall.

This has to be my favorite location at the Great Smoky Mountain National Park. I could spend all day at this one spot and not get done.

Thumbnail by P_Edens Thumbnail by P_Edens Thumbnail by P_Edens Thumbnail by P_Edens
Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Wow, Patti, those are all simply stunning! Very, very nice HDRs! I really like that vertical, I like its scope and depth. The barn interior is simply marvelous! Love it! Frame within a frame! Yes! And, yes, I see those little starbursts! Well done!

Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Rainy day collage ... little dribbles on my walk today ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada
Memphis, TN

Patti, that Chipping Sparrow is adorable -- and so beautifully done. I love the effect and your use of it! That's such a good pose. Now, for those Gatlinburg shots....my, my, my! Such a rustic look -- perfect! Isn't that mill an amazing thing! I like the portrait view as well -- I really see it nestled in the old woods full of tall trees. The barn, with all its texture and ambient light, is such a masterpiece. I'm swallowed up in it so much, I can almost smell it! I couldn't help but notice that stone that seems to have been placed after-the-fact on the right side of the doorway as a support. Man, what a structure!

Jubi, your dribbles collage is so nice. You took a rainy day and made such a "pretty" with it! I love all those doorways and paths and find your "pieces" of color in each one quite interesting. From pumpkins to petals and leaves (and more) -- they really caught my eye.

Well, two things I seem to have plenty of this Fall.....Grackles and pecans! By the way, I agree with Duke Lane about that unfortunate pronunciation...

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Jubilada, Yes! What Miss Mary said. Such a pretty rainy day. I enjoyed seeing all of those images. The layout is very pleasing to the part of my brain that likes order. I love that little inset of the light and dark leaves on the left. And the story that the one at the bottom center tells makes my back hurt just thinking about it. ^_^ Cool red wheelbarrow! That would be fun to have just for a photo prop. You could put all sorts of things in it - potted plants, children, just-harvested veggies, ... You could put it in all sorts of interesting places - edge of a field of wildflowers, next to a garden feature, ... I want one for my photography "throw-down" prop arsenal. I should have collected some of Miss Mary's beautiful leaves while I was in Memphis for some "throw-down" fall color.

Miss Mary, That Grackles in the Pecans image is gorgeous! I just love the background. And, you got plenty of light on the pecans and the grackles. Normally, if I took a shot like that, the grackles and the pecans would be silhouettes unless I overexposed to fool the camera. But, then the background would be a pale, washed out light blue or even white. You have the best of both - lovely light on the subjects and wonderful background. Great job!

Memphis, TN

Thanks, Patti. That shot was taken just as the sun was going down and they were in the very top of that big tree to warm themselves with the last bit of it. Another shot I took a couple of minutes later was indeed a silhouette!

I never thought of a colorful wheelbarrow for a prop -- wonderful idea! I need to give more thought to props. I know I've said that before, but I really do!

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Stopped by a few parks in the NE side of town yesterday. I hardly ever go that direction and now I know why. I went to 5 parks, spent about an hour at each one and took around 100 photos in total and only kept 11. I didn't take any photos at all at two of the parks! That's about the worst I've ever done. The critters were just not cooperating. Just for comparison, I usually shoot around 1000 photos at Brazos Bend State Park in 2 or 3 hours and I usually keep around 100 to 150.

1. Bridge - High Noon, so had to use HDR. Thought it came out okay, but I felt the need to play ...
2. Silly Bridge - Copy, Flip, Polar Coordinates and it looked like a bug to me, so eyes.
3. Ruby-crowned Kinglet - This was shot early, early in the morning when it was still dark. I love these little birdies, so I couldn't stand to throw it away even though it was riddled with noise (shot at ISO 12,800). So, I used Imagenomic's Noiseware Pro which took away all of the noise and all of the detail. Then I ran the Oil Paint filter on it and left the effect on the bird since it looked better than the noise. Oh, there is so much wrong with this image, but I like it anyway.

Thumbnail by P_Edens Thumbnail by P_Edens Thumbnail by P_Edens
Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Ah, Patti ... it's not easy being a photographer!

But ... it's fun working at it, right?

Love the bridge ... the "silly bridge" surely does look like a big fat bug skeleton ... and the much manipulated Rub-Crowned Kinglet looks kinda like a new character out of Pixar studios, don't you think?

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Jubilada, Photography is fun. It serves as a stress reliever for me most of the time. I think you are right. That little kinglet does look like an animation character. He needs a name.

I was checking out the DG Photo Contest winning photos and see you got at least two winners in the mix! Big congratulations!

Love the shrooms and those pumpkins fascinate me.

Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Well, thanks Patti ... a couple of very distant runners-up ... were you in any? I didn't check out all the categories ... did look for you in the birds, however. Did I miss one (or two)?

Here are what I've come up with between cooking chores ... the bench is something I walk by frequently, and I think it's so pretty. I did a bunch of layers and masks and blending modes, and then ran it through Fotosketcher.

I'm going to attempt a Pumpkin Cream Pie this year ... wish me luck!

Thumbnail by Jubilada Thumbnail by Jubilada Thumbnail by Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Whoops, that wasn't the Fotosketcher bench! Here (I hope) it is ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.