Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Aroids: Storing Amorphophallus bulbifer

Communities > Forums > Aroids
bookmark
Forum: AroidsReplies: 3, Views: 27
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 6, 2012
5:39 AM

Post #9325877

Mine have gone dormant, do I remove it from the pot ? or leave ?
Also what about the little bulbs it produced that fell off the top ?

tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

November 6, 2012
11:34 PM

Post #9326630

You can do either. In the pot in soil helps protect the tuber from temperature change. But it is good to give it fresh rich soil for the new season. They can be dug out and stored in a dry cool (warm if you're in a very cold climate) place. In the new season they begin to sprout and that's the time to plant them again. Some people leave them out and wait for the flower as it looks unusual to see a flower on a large tuber sitting on a shelf. But that depletes the tuber which only has stored reserves to grow on rather than gaining from the soil.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 7, 2012
3:50 AM

Post #9326707

Thanks tropic
I'm in Central FL. So I think I could leave it in the pot then, and store it in the barn, where it stays dry and rarely goes below 40.
Do I plant the little bulblets now and store them the same way ?
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

November 7, 2012
9:23 PM

Post #9327551

You don't have to plant the bulblets, but remember they dry out much faster than the larger tubers. I keep them in a plastic bag with a damp (not wet) piece of coconut husk. Anything that'll stop humidity levels from getting too low. And they're more susceptible to cold because of their smaller size.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Aroids Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
How to ID elephant ears!!! bwilliams 37 Jul 5, 2012 11:15 AM
Colocasia Thai Giant- pics please AuntB 54 Aug 23, 2008 3:03 PM
Aroids to trade: skilledwithands 23 Jun 13, 2008 12:41 AM
The most over looked aroid in the araceae family. bwilliams 17 Apr 29, 2010 8:18 PM
Which of these is A. podophyllum and what's the other? Carter 7 Oct 1, 2007 3:24 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America