Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Pets: Adding a Rescued Furbaby...or two... to My Family

Communities > Forums > Pets
bookmark
Forum: PetsReplies: 20, Views: 216
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

November 6, 2012
1:39 PM

Post #9326278

Tomorrow I'm working with a rescue group to help capture about 50 dogs, mostly border collie mixes, to be rehomed and moved to NO KILL shelters around the country. Some are going to Colorado, some to FL, and I'm taking some to Birmingham, AL Friday to a shelter there. It's really amazing that shelters far from here are volunteering to take these neglected babies AND arranging transport themselves too.

You can see pictures of these precious furbabies here:

http://www.facebook.com/angie4animals#!/photo.php?fbid=10151162731050073&set=a.10151155970465073.441554.550330072&type=1&theater

Click on a picture to go to the next picture. Some of the dogs are just adorable! I wish I could have 30 or 40 of them! As it is, I'm planning to adopt two of them tomorrow. I think I'll take one of the black and white border collies and one of the brown longhaired border collies. I've already decided on their names too--Sebastian for the black and Lucien for the brown. The picture I've attached to this post is not the two I'm getting, but they will look similar. Who can resist faces like these?

When you look thru the album I posted the link to, be warned that some of the dogs are very skinny. The man who cares for them is trying his best to keep them all fed, but of course some dogs will push others away from the food. So only the hardiest of the bunch are getting enough nutrition. I'll probably adopt the skinniest ones so I can get them the proper nutrition right away. They are such beautiful creatures! I can't stand to see them in this environment.

If anyone is along our journey from Memphis to Birmingham and would like to adopt one or more of these dogs, please let me know. We'll be leaving Fri morning and could meet you somewhere along the trip. It's a monumental task trying to find homes for 50 medium sized dogs. They're also not accustomed to human interaction so you'd have to work with them to fully socialize them. Most of them will come close to humans, but they aren't used to being handled, wearing collars or walking on leashes. This one man has had them in a fenced yard and only had time to feed them daily. They're sweet and with some love and attention, I think they'd make wonderful family members. If you're interested in one and can meet us on Fri, just drop me a note with your phone number and we'll try to arrange it.

NancyAnn

Thumbnail by ButterflyChaser
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Illig1
Redwood City, CA

November 6, 2012
7:54 PM

Post #9326573

Bless you for helping out!
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 8, 2012
2:26 PM

Post #9328152

I have a male Border Collie - you won't regret adopting these smart, precious dogs - mine is 14 years old and still going, albeit slowly, but he's my baby! Thank you for caring!
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

November 9, 2012
6:41 AM

Post #9328695

Kay, thanks for the encouragement. I've never had a border collie before, but these all seem so sweet and mild mannered.

I went out to "visit" them yesterday. The ones I really wanted are already spoken for, so I had to make other choices. But I really think they chose me. Sebastian, the black dog, looks so sad! He just stared at me yesterday with those beautiful brown, sad eyes, as if to say, "Take me home with you." He has some bite marks from the other dogs picking on him. He's a bit bigger than the other dogs, so you'd think he'd be the bully of the bunch. But the others gang up on him. So he is going to have a happy life here with me.

Lucien is in the third picture. He's looking right into the camera. His face is more grayish than brown with that white streak down the middle. He'll come to me, but if I touch him, he backs away. It won't take me long, I'm sure, to befriend him and he'll be following me around like a puppy dog. LOL He and Sebastian will both have forever homes with me.

In the fourth picture, you can see Peanut, Sebastian's constant companion. He's just a puppy and the other dogs pick on him too as you can see by his ear, which I'll be treating. Peanut will come home with me temporarily; I'll foster him until we can find a forever home for him.

Sat. we're going back out to tranq the males and remove them. Pilots for Paws will fly some of them to another shelter in another state. Several shelters across the country have volunteered to take some and find homes for them. We have to get them out of their environment and to the vet for checkups and shots before they can leave our hands. It's a monumental task to remove 50 skittish animals, so it will take time. We hope to have them out by the end of the month. In the meantime, we're taking food and treats every other day to the dogs. We left two 50 lb bags of dog food with the owner yesterday. We also handfed them milk bones and other treats to get them more comfortable with us. Three weeks ago, they wouldn't come near anyone, so a lot of progress has been made. They now look for us and the treats, but they still shy away from being touched.

Aren't they just so cute? I'm so eager to get them home so I can work with them and see them thrive. Sebastian, with his sad eyes, haunted me all night. I can't wait to see love and happiness shining in those eyes.

Thumbnail by ButterflyChaser   Thumbnail by ButterflyChaser   Thumbnail by ButterflyChaser   Thumbnail by ButterflyChaser   
Click an image for an enlarged view.

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 9, 2012
11:01 AM

Post #9328931

My Border Collie is very attached to 'his people', and as you will find, yours won't be happy when you leave - they hug your every move. Of course, the herding instinct is inherent in these beautiful dogs, and when family members (even pets) are scattered around the house and yard, they run back and forth, keeping an eye on everyone. They are not aggressive animals, but very docile and loving. HOWEVER, never take food away from them - they WILL BITE YOU!

I feed mine Biotin for his coat and since they shed a lot and are allergy-prone, he gets 3 Benadryl tabs every day, per his Vet. I feed Harley raw liver once a week - he loves it. Since they are so active, it is of utmost importance to feed good dry food and veggies. I supplement Harley's regular food with food I get at the Vet's office - can't think of the name, but it's expensive, and well worth it. Have them checked every couple of months for worms.

If ever you have any questions, post and those of us who have BC's will try to help. We also have a couple of Vets here on the boards who are more than happy to answer questions.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

November 9, 2012
4:55 PM

Post #9329229

Thanks for all the info, Kay. I'm excited about having border collies. They're so beautiful!

We rescued 9 males today. Sebastian and Peanut are at the vet's office now, getting checked and getting their shots. Tomorrow, they will come to my house. The other 7 are at another rescuer's house for the weekend. We set them free in her large fenced yard. And after they scoped out their surroundings, they actually came up to us on their own and wagged their tails. They're still very skittish and won't tolerate us petting them. But we didn't have to bribe them with food this time. They just came to us on their own and sniffed around us and then went back to checking out the yard. We put food out for them and they ate and ate. They are all so skinny. But I expect they'll begin filling out soon now that they'll be taken care of.

Mon we'll go back and see how many others we can rescue and get to the vet and transport them to the different shelters they're going to.

I'm so excited to get to work with Sebastian and Peanut over the weekend. I first have to get them accustomed to human contact and get them fattened up. Both have bites on their ears that I'll be treating. Once they trust me, I'll start allowing them in the house now and then and try to housebreak them. Of course I'll leash train them too so they can walk with me and go for car rides. I think they'll settle right in here once they know they'll have constant food and water and love.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 9, 2012
6:13 PM

Post #9329300

NancyAnn, they are skittish by nature. My neighbor has a female, about 6 years old - she's a real beauty, and I've known her, nearly daily, for 4 years. She is STILL skittish/submissive around me - comes up and lets me pet her on the head for a brief second, then backs away. If I go sit, she will come over for love, but SHE must come to ME, or there's only the pat on the head. BC's hate to be ignored - just don't pay them any attention for even a minute and they will be all over you! LOL
lizzipa
Emerald Hills, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 9, 2012
7:20 PM

Post #9329347

You're doing a wonderful thing for all of these dogs! Thank you! Can't wait to follow your adventures with your new babies...
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

November 10, 2012
12:28 PM

Post #9329736

Here are some pics of my new foster kids--Sebastian and Peanut. Sebastian is very skittish. He wants nothing to do with humans. Peanut will come up to me if I'm not paying attention to him. But if I reach for him, or walk towards him, he goes the other way. They are very curious about their surroundings and I think they'll settle in well.

The first picture shows Peanut in the gazebo. He was pretty intrigued by the buddha statue I have sitting in there. Maybe he'll be a new convert??

The 2nd picture shows him on the outdoor futon, checking out my Dr. Pepper.

The 3rd picture is Sebastian sniffing the Spice Mint; I'm thinking he's a tea drinker.

The 4th picture is Sebastian trying to hide from the camera (or me!) in the Butterfly Garden.

The last picture is the inseparable friends bravely exploring their new world.

At one point, I saw Sebastian lying in a cool shady spot, wagging his tail. That's the first time I've seen him wag! Peanut made himself at home at the food dishes. He tried a sample from each of the two dishes. At their old home, food was just scattered on the ground and it was every dog for himself. Here, each dog has his own bowl and for the next few days, I'll make sure their bowls never go empty. I want them to know that they will always have food and will never have to go hungry again.

Thumbnail by ButterflyChaser   Thumbnail by ButterflyChaser   Thumbnail by ButterflyChaser   Thumbnail by ButterflyChaser   Thumbnail by ButterflyChaser

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 10, 2012
1:00 PM

Post #9329752

They are just GORGEOUS!
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

November 10, 2012
7:46 PM

Post #9330026

Good looking dogs. I wouldn't be surprised that they will become velcro dogs after a while.
lizzipa
Emerald Hills, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 10, 2012
9:36 PM

Post #9330057

They're beautiful. Even though Sebastian is hiding in pic #4, he looks pretty happy. :-)

This message was edited Nov 11, 2012 9:10 AM

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 11, 2012
5:22 AM

Post #9330126

GOD BLESS you for all that you do !!!!!
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

November 11, 2012
1:05 PM

Post #9330469

This is the first time I've seen dogs so skittish. I've seen cats that are skittish and frightened. But these guys have had no good human contact. Peanut, the smaller of the two with the tan face, is a little braver. He will come to me if I have a good smelling treat. Sebastian won't. Today, I did get within 5 ft of him before he backed away.

Here are some pictures of them from today. They seem a little more relaxed. Peanut is very curious. He will come sniff around me but he's ever watchful for any movement. I guess in his world, human movement was not a good thing. But he WANTS to trust me; experience has taught him, though, that it just might hurt. He does come up to the back door and look in at Nikko who is so excited to have some furry friends. Nikko stands at the back door, pawing the door and whimpering, "Mom, let me out! I know they want to play with me. Pleeeeeeeeese! Let me go play with my new friends!" I'm not sure how the two new visitors will react to Nikko though. He's so rambunctious and playful and doesn't take NO for an answer. So I think it's best that they settle in a little more before they meet "Mr. You Know You Love Me".

These guys are quickly becoming my favorite models. Who can resist these faces? And that Sebastian in his tuxedo, isn't he handsome?

This message was edited Nov 11, 2012 3:07 PM

Thumbnail by ButterflyChaser   Thumbnail by ButterflyChaser   Thumbnail by ButterflyChaser      

Illig1
Redwood City, CA

November 12, 2012
6:32 PM

Post #9331608

Gorgeous dogs! Just let the shy Sebastian develop at his own pace. Shy dogs progress more rapidly when they don't have soical pressure which makes them more skittish. The bolder dog will be a very good help in making Sebastian more comfortable. Bless you!!
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

November 13, 2012
5:45 PM

Post #9332471

Sebastian is coming around rather quickly. Now when I go outside, he starts whining and comes toward me with his tail wagging. He'll come right to my fingertips and lick my fingertips, but he still shies away from my touching him, as does Peanut. Peanut is leaving tomorrow. He is going to his furever home. But I'll be taking on several more of the male dogs from this large group tomorrow.

If y'all want to see more pics and video of these guys, you can check out my facebook page "Nancy Gandy". Their litter mates are there too and you can see pics of the whole lot at the hoarder's house.

I think all of the dogs we're rescuing from this one house will make great pets. Most of them will come close to us rescuers and some are now following us around happily. They just want to be loved you can tell. And it's nearly impossible not to fall in love with them all. They're so beautiful and sweet.
lizzipa
Emerald Hills, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 13, 2012
5:49 PM

Post #9332478

How exciting that Sebastian is responding so quickly to your love & a happy home! Are you keeping him "forever"? Good Luck to Peanut!
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

November 13, 2012
6:00 PM

Post #9332484

I was going to keep him forever, but a man in the country really wants to adopt him. So I'm letting him go. I will keep one of the smaller border collies. And a lady in a nearby town is wanting to rehome her border collie, so I'm going to adopt him too. Oddly enough, he has the same name as the first dog I had when I moved out on my own. So it must be fate.

I hope Sebastian won't have trouble accepting a man. I will try to tame him and get him leash trained first. Then maybe he'll adjust easier with someone else. I realize as a rescuer, I just can't keep all of them that I save. So I need to learn to love them while they're with me and let them go when they can have a better life with someone else.
lizzipa
Emerald Hills, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 13, 2012
7:11 PM

Post #9332538

You are giving wonderful selfless gifts to these precious dogs!
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 14, 2012
5:42 AM

Post #9332783

Make sure if Sebastian doesn't adapt to his new owner, that the owner will give him back to you - he's already bonded with you, so this will be quite an adjustment for him!
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

November 14, 2012
8:36 PM

Post #9333532

Kay, it's not really up to me. The man will be completing an application to adopt and his home/yard will be inspected first and all that. I think now that Sebastian knows that all people aren't evil, he'll adapt to anyone if they're good to him.

Tomorrow, little Peanut will be on his journey to his new home. Today, I've taken on the care of 3 other of the rescue dogs and they are just beautiful. Next week, they'll be on their journeys to new homes. And next week, I'll acquire a few more of the dogs we'll rescue from the hoarder's home. Our goal is to have all of them he'll give us out of his care by the end of the month. So we have about 20 more to obtain I think.

A rescue group in another state is giving us over 500 lbs of dry dogfood AND several cases of canned dogfood. This weekend I'm supposed to meet them in MO to pick up the food. I can't believe how incredibly generous people are being to help us care for all these dogs! It just touches my heart!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Pets Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Does Anyone Show Dogs?? momcat 154 Jul 29, 2009 9:01 PM
How many dogs does it take to change a light bulb? gardenwife 20 Oct 2, 2009 7:10 PM
mourning DawnG 26 Jul 16, 2010 10:38 AM
Bertha got a hair cut!! MOLLYBEE 10 Aug 8, 2011 11:49 AM
Fritzie meets (& almost eats) Santa Claus Buttoneer 22 Sep 3, 2009 11:46 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America